Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr Decade+

Eastern Canadian MTBR's Cycling Goals for 2014

I stole this thread from the passion forum, but I thought it more relevant to ask here with people I sorta know than read about people there I definitely don't know. What are your cycling goals for 2014?

I'm at a weird spot in my life with cycling, I don't do it enough! I haven't lost the passion. I just never squeeze rides in with my life. My goals are to ride more. More specifically, my older kid has agreed to do Paris to St. George with me. He's in shape, I'll need to up my game to avoid embarrassment/family disgrace. Secondly, I was given blood pressure meds for chronic high blood pressure. I'm not a doctor guy or a medication guy, but after seeking secondary advice a nurse said to me, "Get in shape enough and see if you can get off the medication, but you should be taking it now." So I'd like to ride myself to lower blood pressure.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Biggie, I wish you the best of luck with that goal.

Some random goals I have this year.

- Do a 100 mile MTB ride on the trails/double track in and around Hamilton. Longest has been 120 km so far.

- I'm going to Breck Epic. I want desperately not to race, not for one moment to care an ounce about my placement. I want to enjoy the riding and the views to maximum capacity. Embrace where my bike is taking me.

- Halve my placement in P2A.

- Ride my fatbike in Muskoka (was foiled twice last year by weather).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Find time to put some decent training rides in. These 2nd/3rd lap cramps must go.

Be deemed good enough for expert next season (see above).

Get to Hydro Cut /HF/AF and make one of the hamilton area group rides.

Hope to afford CTS this year. (not looking good so far)

Evil Jr.
    Personal:

Ride with Monster Jr. at Joyride and the Driving Park as much as possible.

Professional:

Add at least 2km to the Christie trails and complete the Ebb and Flow loop.

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Biggie, I wish you the best of luck with that goal.

Some random goals I have this year.

- Do a 100 mile MTB ride on the trails/double track in and around Hamilton. Longest has been 120 km so far.

- I'm going to Breck Epic. I want desperately not to race, not for one moment to care an ounce about my placement. I want to enjoy the riding and the views to maximum capacity. Embrace where my bike is taking me.

- Halve my placement in P2A.

Similar goals to CptSydor:

Join CptSydor on the 100mile MTB ride in and around Hamilton
    Have an amazingly fun and epic experience at Breck Epic.
    Place better in P2A.
    Ride a fat bike this winter.

mtbr member
    Seem to be over a series of longer term injuries over a very unfortunate 2 year period. Using the purchase of the fat bike to kick off riding all year round. Loose a bunch of weight and get fit so I can hope to keep up with some group rides. Biggie, I managed to ride my way out of blood pressure medicine. I was borderline for a while, but this summer I got it down well into the safe zone. Took some dieting as well.
    I want to be fit enough that rides are more fun and not such a struggle, specially climbing. Far from racing shape, but hope to be able to do some fun type race in the next year or two. I plan to give up some of my competitive billiards tournaments that are a huge time suck and often run really late into the night/morning, and put more time on the bike. Been taking some yoga classes to improve flexibility and avoid further injuries. Put more time doing that as well.
    Burnt Norton

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    I like this thread, it really got me thinking. My race goals are similar to CptSydor and Louda; improve my P2A time and enjoy Breck to the fullest. Also, go to more grassroots-style races.

But my biggest goal to have lots of adventures, ride with the new puppies a lot and ride in new places.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    --deleted--
    Last edited by sputnikcdn; 03-03-2014 at 12:25 PM.

More than a little slow
    Tour Divide.
    It's the focus of every commute, every hour on the trainer in the basement, every run, every mountain bike ride, every search on the internet and almost every email to friends and family. I've become quite boring. And poor. But I have a nice bike. For now.
    Cheers, Dave

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    Tour Divide.
    You're doing T-D this year???

More than a little slow
    That's the plan. Ken too. And I heard a rumour that Sarah is going back as well. You too ??? ( and aren't you just a little bit curious about my nice bike ????????)
    Cheers, Dave

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Cpt...I have the same goal and I live here!!!...LOL!
    Muskoka and particularily my area around Gravenhurst, has been hammered with snow storms
    throughout Dec with more is in the forecast all next week! And...if it isn't snowing it has been just
    too freakin' cold (-32 this morning... without taking windchill into account). As a result the snow
    is mostly too deep and soft for riding, at least not what I would consider to be fun riding.
    Early winter is typically better for skiing and 'shoeing up here anyway, and so far this year has been perfect for that...

Goals for 2014 are to get to some new riding destinations with this little camper,
    starting with Allegripis Trails at Raystown Lake PA in spring or early summer.
    Maybe even do 24hr Solstice once again...its been awhile...
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

Evil Jr.
    Tour Divide.
    It's the focus of every commute, every hour on the trainer in the basement, every run, every mountain bike ride, every search on the internet and almost every email to friends and family. I've become quite boring. And poor. But I have a nice bike. For now.
    I for one, would like to hear more about this nice bike. Good luck with TD. I considered it briefly, before the boy. Sarah's account made it sound like more fun than she probably thinks.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Lemmy Rules!
    Biggie, that is awesome. Any time you wanna go on a ride, let me know and I'm there - road, cross or mountain - you set the pace. The Red Hill Valley trail in Stoney Creek works really well for P2A training and I would be happy to show you the ropes - PM me...
    Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!
    Oh yeah, and goals:

1. Go back to the Hydrocut and give it a good spanking for breaking my hand last September

2. I still owe my pledges 100k in the Ganny (we only made 60km in November) so I will be back on the start line of Paul's Dirty Enduro in September. Sub-7 hours would be gravy...;

3. I want to do all 3 Epic 8's solo singlespeed, and make the podium for the series;

4. Not get a flat on the P2A (which will in itself result in a faster time)

5. And I just signed up for the Wilmington Whiteface 100 in upstate New York this June. My goal will be to finish.

6. Log 10,000km on Strava (was 1,000 shy this past year)

7. Make every ride I do meaningful

And now I have posted here, I have to make good on all of this...

Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Mine are similar to secret agents.

Three years ago I saw modest weight losses after riding lots in the summer.

Two years ago rode hard and saw better results.

Last year I planned to go all out and started real strong but then had a string of injuries, broken bones and other health issues that took me off the bike for about half the year.

So this year the plan is to go hard, ride as many days after work as possible, get my average distances up (aiming for 20+ km weekdays, with larger rides on the weekends) and not get hurt in the process lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It's a rehab year for me since I was taken out by a car last year.
    Goals are pretty simple, ride & have fun and get out for group rides with friends. That's it.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    It's a rehab year for me since I was taken out by a car last year.
    Goals are pretty simple, ride & have fun and get out for group rides with friends. That's it.
    Those are the best goals anyway, regardless of rehab or not!
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

sock puppet
    I just want to sleep with Charlize Theron. Thats all.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Wow Dave! Fantastic! Look forward to following you (and Ken and Sarah!) on this ridiculously epic adventure.
    Tour Divide.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    The plan is to ride a lot and enjoy all of it. Take a few non-racing cycling trips to warmer destinations. Keep talking about puppies. As far as racing goes, something like this so far:

1. Enjoy P2A
    2. Enjoy WW100, qualify for a return to Leadville
    3. Enjoy Breck Epic
    4. Sprinkle in some NUE goodness wherever schedule allows
    5. Man up and do Hell of the North
    6. For something completely different, Tour of Bronte

Looking forward to a fun year with lots of epic riding with friends!
    Jouko

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Best of luck with that goal Biggie.
    Dave...do share more - wow, amazing.
    My cycling goals for this year...
    Be more effective with the time I have to ride
    Break the top 100 in the P-A (even if I don't, I will still be happy with my result as long as I finish ahead of Oggie)
    Have fun adventures at a few NUE's this year
    Have a fun, strong trans-alp race

Lemmy Rules!
    [QUOTE=osokolo;10914657]I just want to sleep with Charlize Theron. Thats

It's important to set realistic goals, Oggster....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Re: Eastern Canadian MTBR's Cycling Goals for 2014

Participate (rather than compete LOL) in my first bike race (bought a 'cross bike today. That was some expensive browsing).
    Ride out of province.
    Meet someone also into cycling.
    Skillz. Improve my skillz!

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10
    2015 Brodie Romax
    2011 Giant Trance X3 "Andre"
    2013 Rocky Mountain SoloCX "Han"

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by bishskate View Post
    Participate (rather than compete LOL) in my first bike race (bought a 'cross bike today. That was some expensive browsing).
    Given your latest purchase, I think your first race has just taken care of itself...The Paris to Ancaster is best enjoyed from the saddle of a cyclocross bike.

And the skillz improvement does not need to wait until the snow melts - Joyride is excellent for that sort of thing
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    P2A is the plan, especially since I bailed last year. Not this year; going to register now.

Joyride seems intimidating as a beginner.

Lemmy Rules!
    P2A is the plan, especially since I bailed last year. Not this year; going to register now.

Go on a Sunday morning when it is quiet. Rent a dirt jumper. Hang out in the beginners area until you are comfortable. Then hit the pump track,skinnies and XC loop....it's not so bad once you try it
    Strava made me do it....

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    I just want to sleep with Charlize Theron. Thats all.
    With the missus too, or does she just get to watch?
    occasional cyclist

sock puppet

Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    With the missus too, or does she just get to watch?
    Missus prefers brunettes but will make an exception for Charlize. I begged. Again.
    Signature

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Oggie, you're a lucky man indeed!
    occasional cyclist

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    It is a little intimidating, but so fun. My two-year old loves it! I'd go a very slightly different order than Unglued suggests: beginner area, pump tracks, XC loop, THEN skinnies. The XC loop has some fun, progressive stuff on it, and is usually not too busy - I'd encourage sessioning some of the features there before trying the skinnies. Though you might just end up doing the pump tracks the whole time, as they're so fun. Another good spot to try little things like bunny hops, step offs, little drops etc. is the street area, which doesn't get busy until the afternoon. You can also get one-on-one coaching there if you're into that sort of thing. (or if you're a woman, there's Women's Weekend or weekly clinics).

Talentless Hack
    Last year I held up okay on P2A, but my other signature endurance events kind of turned into death marches, for various reasons that I had only some control over, (i.e. illness and weather).

So aiming for stronger finishes in 2014, rather than a DNF (HOTN) or a DOA (TNT).
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

I Strava Hamburgers
    1. Not shart the bed at 24H Old Pueblo, pull a double night lap, really soak in riding somewhere different.

2. Increase placing in P2A and Steaming Nostril.
    1. B) Top 5 clyde?

3. 100km minimum per 8H this season.
    3. B) 6 Laps at Six in the Hood.
    3. C) Do the 6H of Power in NY.

4. At least 3 O-Cup appearances, so I can give someone a chance to finish better then DFL.

5. Legitimate podium somewhere.... so I can unleash the hip gyration / thrust that everyone's been waiting for.

6. Lots of Buttertarts during the TDB this year, get a PR on the climb out

mtbr Decade+
    Excellent responses to this thread! I've read them all and love the innocence and naivety with 360 days left to (try to) crush our spirits and shatter our dreams. Unglued, very subtle fat guy dig with the request for a ride in the Red Hill Valley! That thing's a hill, complete with an "Up" and a "Down" and elevation in between. I counter with a ride to the Avondale for beef jerky, we could sit on the curb out front and talk about derailleurs??? Just kidding, I'll send a PM. This year I'll get in on more Hamilton area rides and hopefully the TDB.

There has been some talk on here about the Ride the Divide. A guy from Hamilton completed it last year, not sure if he is on here. I've seen some posts of his on the Hammer City Cycle Facebook page. Noble goal.

OMHA playdowns start in 2 weeks and life after hockey will start soon...
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    My goal is to achieve the same level of fitness I had last year. If that comes with a few good races and maybe a podium or two, I shall be very happy.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    My goal is to achieve the same level of fitness I had last year. If that comes with a few good races and maybe a podium or two, I shall be very happy.
    I am concerned that your goal may be in direct conflict with my goal no. 3...
    Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Excellent responses to this thread! I've read them all and love the innocence and naivety with 360 days left to (try to) crush our spirits and shatter our dreams. Unglued, very subtle fat guy dig with the request for a ride in the Red Hill Valley! That thing's a hill, complete with an "Up" and a "Down" and elevation in between. I counter with a ride to the Avondale for beef jerky, we could sit on the curb out front and talk about derailleurs??? Just kidding, I'll send a PM. This year I'll get in on more Hamilton area rides and hopefully the TDB.

There has been some talk on here about the Ride the Divide. A guy from Hamilton completed it last year, not sure if he is on here. I've seen some posts of his on the Hammer City Cycle Facebook page. Noble goal.

OMHA playdowns start in 2 weeks and life after hockey will start soon...
    Done. And yes there is a hill. But it is not as big as the one you will have to climb to the finish at P2A
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I am concerned that your goal may be in direct conflict with my goal no. 3...
    That is true and I suspect that are a few others with such conflicts too. We may need to team up and use good old fashioned violence to take out the competition.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

rad to the power of sick
    I'm turning 28 this year. For the first time in my life, i've started to observe subtle signs of aging. They're not bad, but they're definitely there. In order to combat this, I've decided to attempt to be fitter than I've ever been in all regards. Diet, training, you name it.

I wrote up a cycling training plan for the first time in three years. This time around, im hopefully more mature, a little less cocky and more disciplined. Youth is wasted on the young.

On an unrelated note.. I cannot believe ive been on these forums for over 10 years. Time flies eh. MTBR practically raised me.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer View Post
    I'm turning 28 this year. For the first time in my life, i've started to observe subtle signs of aging. They're not bad, but they're definitely there. In order to combat this, I've decided to attempt to be fitter than I've ever been in all regards. Diet, training, you name it.

I wrote up a cycling training plan for the first time in three years. This time around, im hopefully more mature, a little less cocky and more disciplined. Youth is wasted on the young.

On an unrelated note.. I cannot believe ive been on these forums for over 10 years. Time flies eh. MTBR practically raised me.
    Youth and enthusiasm is no match for old age and subterfuge...
    Strava made me do it....

rad to the power of sick
    Youth and enthusiasm is no match for old age and subterfuge...

I will thoroughly embrace this creed.

sock puppet

Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer View Post
    I will thoroughly embrace this creed.
    SUBTERwhat? Care to hop of your tall white horse and speak layman's language sir?
    Signature

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    SUBTERwhat? Care to hop of your tall white horse and speak layman's language sir?
    Subterfuge = sneakyness
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet

Subterfuge = sneakyness
    Ah that... I like the talk about snakes. Any pictures?
    Signature

mtbr member

My goals :
    1 Keep it fun ! Don't think of it as just exercise, enjoy your ride & look forward to your next one.
    2 Teach a newbie to ride ! It brings you back to your roots & a new rider to the sport.
    3 help build a trail ! It helps you to appreciate them
    4 explore new trails , meet new people ! Why not ?
    5 see number 1
    Hope for a good season for everybody !
    Cheers!
    Bern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Ride a Santa Cruz heckler
    And many part bikes : )
    " Team Van Go"

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Re: Eastern Canadian MTBR's Cycling Goals for 2014

Can't give rep on my phone but 2 is really solid goal.

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10
    2015 Brodie Romax
    2011 Giant Trance X3 "Andre"
    2013 Rocky Mountain SoloCX "Han"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash&bern View Post
    My goals :

2 Teach a newbie to ride ! It brings you back to your roots & a new rider to the sport.

That's one of my favourite things to do! Watching the surprise and joy on someone's face when they realize they can do something on a bike they didn't think was possible... when they realize how much fun mountain biking can be!

Seeing them get over fear and go from walking down a hill to bombing it with no brakes... That brings me back to the time I learned how to ride, when I was constantly surprising myself.

humber river advocate
    a goal for 2014...

-ride the biggest downhill i can find
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My goals are to race in all three of the Epic 8 hour races on teams with a couple friends and also do the Six in the Hood in Port Colburne solo. Should be a fun summer. I also want to race in the six hours of Gibraltar but I have to have a team of 4 for that one and not sure my buddies will all be in. May be looking for some team mates later on!

Other than that, I want to get out lots and explore more new areas in Ontario.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash&bern View Post
    Equally, teaching our boy to ride is amazingly rewarding.

We made our weekly trip to Joyride yesterday and were puttering around as usual when he decided to jump on the XC loop. He followed it all the way into the BIG room and his eyes lit up. His mind was officially blown. Not only did he complete the XC loop but he hit the half-pipe (Mrs. Monster had him watching the X-Games over the holidays so he knew exactly what it was), the sport skinnies and the little jump line... all on his run bike.

I think I have to start shopping for an extra-small full-face!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast