Team NFI
    Mar 2007

East Cup #2 Cornwall

The next stop on Substance Projects tour of the Eastern Ontario region at Charlottenburgh Forest.

East Cup

Dan puts on a good race. Low key and a good time out.

Looks like there will be a crew heading up from Kingston. Hopefully we will see guys from Brockville. As well as see the crew who came down all the way from CFB Petawawa to race last Sunday.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I feel angry.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Dan is up there right now apparently prepping the course. According to what he mentioned on FB the course not much in the way of climbing. But I'm guessing from the Rider Mel guidebook that there will be some tech.

Dan will try to get some helmet cam of parts of the course.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Update,

As of Friday, Dan had cleared any dead fall that was unridable and had marked the course. So if you want to pre ride the course..go for it.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    A helmet cam preview of some of the course.

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    After Dan's usual low key call up. It was off for the 3 laps of 5k. First first bit up the quad track and small hill went well. Actually started out a little faster this time and by the hill was clear further up the field. Then into the singletrack which was fun and had some good flow. Pace was good and despite the usual small hiccups as those who get squirrelly in the tech cause the accordian effect. Unfortunately one of these incidents at about the 10% through the course cased me to get my bar caught in a tree. Which caused my left brake lever to pop off.

Discovered this on a bit of downhill and stopped to fiddle for 15 seconds. Gave up and tried to catch back up to what turned out to be the 3rd place guy. Which became a chore as I found it challenging to find the flow with only a rear brake. Mental block. Took the rest of the 1st and second laps to finally get it.

Negative split the 3rd lap. Even caught the third place guy but lost him again as we lapped a 12 year old kid still on his second lap as he got hung up on some roots and went down hard. Made sure he was okay then tried to catch back up. Never did and it turns out missed the podium by 15 seconds. Ironically the same amount of time I fiddled on the first lap with my brake.

15 seconds.......I'm angry.

I think I'm starting to take this racing this seriously again...

15 seconds....Arrgghhhh.

Results
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

All my faucets is Moen.
    Nah, if you took racing seriously you would have kicked dirt on the kid who went down and told him to HTFU.
    Nice job.

Evil Jr.
    Well, that's a new sort of mechanical. Does that thing just pop back in or is it permanently pooched?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Well, that's a new sort of mechanical. Does that thing just pop back in or is it permanently pooched?
    No damage. The circlip...the thin black thing that is hard to see on top of the brass coloured washer did it's job of releasing.

Once home with Harp in hand was to pull the brake and then the lever. And remove the adjuster screw, one wack of ball peen hammer to re flatten circlip, reinstall, re bleed twice and remount compete brake. Total of 15 minutes and was back in business.

Just picked up another set of snap ring pliers for the road trip tool box.

Funny. This is the first mechanical I have ever had during a race of any kind in decades. I always get them during rides.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com