mtbr member
    Apr 2004

East Cross Conservation Area - (Near Ganaraska)

Hey,

I just happened to come across some info about the East Cross Conservation Area, it looks like it's been opened for Multi-use access on a single trail.

For those that don't know anything about this place, it's massive, around 1100 acres, hilly, and sandy.

It was a high use ATV / Offroad / party area for many years until a few lawsuits caused the owners to get rid of the land, and the township took it over.

Looks like more info is at http://www.kawarthaconservation.com/...f/history.html

There is one small loop, but this place has potential to be a great place if they can get the sandy areas re-vegetated and stop erosion.

humber river advocate
    i know that area well. used to live nearby and ride my dirt bike there. that was one of the first places i used to ride in when i started mountain biking (really long time ago). using the sideroads and the trails in the area i was able to get a 50km plus rides in. never saw another mtb though.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills MPAC
    will build trail for rep... give a rep today...

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Chad, I know the area well too. I wonder how long the soils will be suitable for MTBing? I can't see it being much different than the West Forest of the Ganny, which sucks.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I live in the Mtl area. I'm thinking of doing the "Pauls Dirty Enduro" which is in Gannaraska Forest. You say the trails suck. Is the "Enduro" worth travelling to?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by randyn
    I live in the Mtl area. I'm thinking of doing the "Pauls Dirty Enduro" which is in Gannaraska Forest. You say the trails suck. Is the "Enduro" worth travelling to?
    Yes it is. He's wrong.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

Idea!

I was talking about the West Forest of the Ganny which sees a high amount of dirt bike & ATV traffic (similiar to what the EC C/A used to be subjected to). I've ridden a few times in the Centre Forest which is off limits to motorized vehicles. Trails are good in there for MTBing.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I took my dog to East Cross Forest Conservation Area for a walk a little while ago to see if it is any good for mt biking. At the present time it is not. There is one double track trail from the parking lot that heads south that leads to the one single track which loops back to the double track. It was a pleasant walk, well, except for the multitude of bugs that had no respect for Deep Woods Off.
    The soil is very sandy and soft. There had been a horse in there earlier and some of the hoof prints were a good 3 to 4 inches deep. I would not ride my bike in there yet. The single track loop does take you just north of "test hill" where they have signage that explains how much damage and erosion was caused by the previous users.
    Right now all the land to the south of this point is closed to the public. Maybe one day they will develop a network of trails and open up more of the land for trail users but I don't think based on the sandy soil that it will ever be a must go destination for mt biking.

As far as Paul's Dirty Enduro goes, it is worth it. I did the 60k loop last year and it was a good mix of single track with enough double track to somewhat recover. Beware though that there is lots of poison ivy. I was in there last Wednesday for a night ride and it seemed like it is even more prolific this year. But maybe that was just because the lights seemed to make it stand out more.
    Anyway it is well run and is for a good cause.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Mike, thanks for the update. My others modes of transportation are banned in there so I wasn't going to be able to check it out LOL.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    I was talking about the West Forest of the Ganny which sees a high amount of dirt bike & ATV traffic (similiar to what the EC C/A used to be subjected to). I've ridden a few times in the Centre Forest which is off limits to motorized vehicles. Trails are good in there for MTBing.
    I stand corrected. I should have re-read your post. I don't like the West Forest much either, which is one of the reasons I've not yet done the 100 km race at Paul's Dirty Enduro.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhs
    I was in there last Wednesday for a night ride and it seemed like it is even more prolific this year. But maybe that was just because the lights seemed to make it stand out more.
    Hey, I met you last week! You were on my wife's "Perseid Meteor Shower Appreciation/Coywolf Awareness Ride". Actually she planned it to be only the first of those two themes, as this article http://www.thestar.com/article/681632 did not get published until 3 days later.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    Hey, I met you last week! You were on my wife's "Perseid Meteor Shower Appreciation/Coywolf Awareness Ride". Actually she planned it to be only the first of those two themes, as this article http://www.thestar.com/article/681632 did not get published until 3 days later.

Cool, it was a nice ride. Thankfully I managed to avoid a poison ivy rash this time. Whew!
    Hopefully next time we meet it will be light. And hopefully we don't come face to face with a pack of coywolves the next time we do a night ride in the Ganny.