Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

humber river advocate
    you know what, the martin goodman trail by the beach is so packed with people i don't even like riding a bike on it.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills MPAC
    will build trail for rep... give a rep today...

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Star
    “The problem’s with the operator, not the vehicle.”
    100% agree.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I always enjoy passing e-bikes like they're barely moving when I'm riding my road bike

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    100% agree.
    Partially. The bigger issue that the reporter didn't acknowledge is the present laws in regards to E Bikes and tha city bus size loop hole. This loop hole allows them to be sold as bikes as long as they have a set of pedals and cranks that will turn the rear wheel.

The problem is the so called E Bikes that look more like a true motor scooter and pedalling would be about as much fun as paying taxes. These units can go 50 kmh and are the one's that are primarily being bought and used. They are in reality a motorized vehicle.

People treat these things like they are bicycles because that is what they are told. So you see them whipping down side walks, bike paths, across lawns, and in one case bashing it's way along the Ridge in the Don one summer.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

Evil Jr.
    Well, the reporter did mention that they were still "legal" under the HTA but that the City is free to set whatever bylaws they like.

Around here, there is a WIDE spectrum of e-bikes. Everything from a simple bike with an integrated assist hub (which I really don't mind since they make riding accessible to all sorts of people that might not otherwise get out) all the way up to those Honda Goldwing-looking monsters. How do you ban one without banning the other?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sheep in FOX clothing
    a simple bike with an integrated assist hub
    Paced one of those guys into a stiff headwind at 45 kph last month. I was drafting off a truck. He wasn't. Wonder if it was hopped up.

Up, Up, and Away!
    Thank goodness. Stupid full size scooters with pedals. Here in Brampton the signs say "motorized vehicles prohibited" yet I still see those things treating the paved MUP's like the 401. Let's see you pedal that thing, tubby.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Actually, I did see one guy trying to pedal a scooter-type up a hill with the battery dead.

Painful to look at.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by TORONTO MUNICIPAL CODE FOOTPATHS, PEDESTRIAN WAYS, § 886-1 BICYCLE PATHS AND BICYCLE LANES
    ARTICLE I Definitions § 886-1. VEHICLE — Includes a motor vehicle, trailer, traction engine, farm tractor, roadbuilding machine, bicycle and any vehicle drawn, propelled or driven by any kind of power, including muscular power, but does not include a motorized snow vehicle, streetcar, in-line skates, skateboards, coasters, scooters, toy vehicles, toboggan, sleigh or other similar devices.
    What?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    What?
    Yeah, WTF is that? That appears to say that human powered bicycles are lumped in with the things that CANNOT use a bike lane or bike path?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    So you see them whipping across lawns, and in one case bashing it's way along the Ridge in the Don one summer.
    Freedom hater.

Do you not love the funs?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Paced one of those guys into a stiff headwind at 45 kph last month. I was drafting off a truck. He wasn't. Wonder if it was hopped up.
    First step is to remove the governor. Simple clip of the wire cutters and adds about 20kmh.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Well, the reporter did mention that they were still "legal" under the HTA but that the City is free to set whatever bylaws they like.

Around here, there is a WIDE spectrum of e-bikes. Everything from a simple bike with an integrated assist hub (which I really don't mind since they make riding accessible to all sorts of people that might not otherwise get out) all the way up to those Honda Goldwing-looking monsters. How do you ban one without banning the other?
    The other half of the problem is our government. Who want to regulate everything not for safety but so they can take more money via licenses, taxes, and so on. It's so stupid.

Great example. In the Velteq warehouse in Hamilton there is 2 E Scooters. They are capable of 401 speeds. Yet our government makes it impossible to be legal here. So with all these walls been thrown up of course they will look for the loop holes.

I'll take some pic's from the shop in a bit to show the diffences here.

humber river advocate
    that's why i use gas...

though something else might be in the works...
    Support TORBA
    Albion Hills MPAC

namagomi
    Some of the euro brands have a button to disable the guv'na. You can get going up to 50km/h easy.

Lets hope we don't get wrapped up in the banning since legally the ontario government calls those e-scooters bicycles. Also i'm a bit disappointed that e-bicycle... you know those bicycle ones(under 35kg) that you can actually pedal are going to be banned.

P.s. i have seen a larger man pushing his e-scooter down the roadway he was totally not going to be pedaling that thing with it's vestigial pedals. It was a sad sight because he was really struggling with it - a bicycle would be a lot easier to push!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    that's why i use gas...

though something else might be in the works...
    Any builds threads on this? Seems right up my alley....
    05 specialized hardrock SS.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 slo-vo View Post
    Specialized showed something remarkably similar at their Eurobike booth.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    What?
    What?

sheep in FOX clothing
    ^^ That was just astonishment that a bike is a vehicle but a snowmobile isn't.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 slo-vo View Post
    This will be quieter.

Those hikers will never hear you coming! Eventually sensing my wishes they'll drag giant logs and other TTF over the trail, which is good because it gives you something to practice that j-hop and keeps certain others off the trail..

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    This will be quieter.

Those hikers will never hear you coming! Eventually sensing my wishes they'll drag giant logs and other TTF over the trail, which is good because it gives you something to practice that j-hop and keeps certain others off the trail..
    You are being Insular...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have a hard time taking ebikers seriously when I see that many of them actually remove the vestigial pedals. They've been gifted with a wonderful loophole in the bylaws, and yet they can't be bothered to play by the rules. And to top that, I read here about the governer workaround. The other day, I saw an ebiker verbally assaulted by a jaywalking ped after minor contact. Although the ped was clearly in the wrong, he shouted and gesticulated furiously at the receding ebiker. Hahahahaha.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Okay, let's look at some details.

This is a gas powered scooter. It requires a license to operate and is illegal on paths and trails.

The is a so called E Bike. Roughly the same size as the gas powered scooter. Does not require license to operate.

The so called bb spindle,

What is more like a true E Bike,

humber river advocate
    Specialized showed something remarkably similar at their Eurobike booth.

mines more trick
    Support TORBA
    Albion Hills MPAC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast