Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Durham Forest Thursday Series for first-timer

I'm a new rider (road for 4 years and mtn for the last 2) and am looking for some new challenges this year. Having never raced before, I am just looking for some info on the Durham Forest Thursday night races. Good for beginners? I'm a clydesdale and definitely not very fast, but thought if the atmosphere is relatively friendly and relaxed, it would be a good way to get a hard-level effort in each week on a schedule.

Any input and feedback on these races is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've only done them twice, but I think they'd be a great set of beginning races.

Large variety of riders, young, old, fast, slow. Low cost, relaxed atmosphere. Give it a shot.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Durham Forest Thursday Series for first-timer

I did a few of these last year and think they would be a good intro to racing. The atmosphere is pretty relaxed, and as mentioned a wide range of riders. Races typically take around 45 minutes.

I guarantee doing these regularly will improve both fitness and skills. And you'll have fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the responses. I think I'll try it out in April when it starts up and see how things go.

icy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The weekly draw prizes are the best anywhere as an added bonus to a great race series

I Strava Hamburgers
    Fellow Clyde.

I'll see you there this year buddy!

Come on out, they're good for the soul. Even if you have a bad race everyone there is just there to ride and race and you'll make a bunch of group riding friends otherwise. You'll always have your win at all cost meat heads, but they're so far and few between that the only time you'll run into them is if you're causing them to suffer. You'll be racing with a lot of people in the exact same position that you're in.

If we get a bunch of big guys, you never know, they could put together a clyde cat and have all of us big men duke it out together
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I moved to the durham area about 10 years ago and have been riding durham forest for about 7 of those. I have seen a couple of races there and have been always wondering what it would be like to get invovled, but have no idea how. Unfortunately most of the LBS around here are horrible for getting info on anything related to biking outside of them selling you something, in my opinion and still prefer going into Toronto for help. Is there a website or anything online so a beginer racer (not sure if I would call me that yet as I am only thinking about it) can learn more. Most of my riding is just for fun but it sounds good from what I am reading so far.

I Strava Hamburgers
    DMBA

DMBA can get you situated with novice to advanced rides in Durham Forest and sometimes puts together some race teams. But apart from that they're also big on getting information to you about biking in general as well.

Bike NXS - Durham Region MTB Events

Its fairly early in the season but all the info you will need about the Durham Forest series will be on that page. If you email them, they should send you all the info you want about getting started there.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    14stone thanks for the reply that is exactly what I was looking for. I have never entered a race before, partly cause I am always fat and outta shape. I really enjoy riding though and always thought it would be fun just to push the limits for competition. I might try to convince another friend of mine and me to join a race and go from there. Again thanks for the great info much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Looking forward to the series this year. Thanks again for the info. I think I'll drag a few friends out to give it a go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Re: Durham Forest Thursday Series for first-timer

Did the whole series last year. I won't lie and say the races are easy. My first week, I only managed a lap before coughing up a lung. By half way through I was doing all 3 laps and getting quicker. Join us, you'll find it addicting. I highly recommend it for upping your fitness further.

I Strava Hamburgers
    MTBREC Thursday night smackdowns @ durham forest?
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Mtbrec?

I Strava Hamburgers
    MTBR Eastern Canada
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Ahhhh!

Let's rip it up! I'll be there on the 11th and most weeks following.
    Last edited by TheWiseFool; 03-22-2013 at 08:30 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'll be there for most races.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

I'll be the poser decked out in Scott gear.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Awesome. I'll be the poser in the Masher Twin Six Jersey.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Come May, my summer hockey will interfere with this race series, which is why I didn't take part last year, but y'all have got me thinking that I should come out for the April races. Should be a good way to kick start the season!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

It's all for the shites and giggles. Who knows, if your lucky you might win something in the raffle too. If you have no plans Thursdays then there's no excuse.

mtbr member
    no excuse? trust me, I'm an expert in excuses.

but still, I'll make it a priority because I just can't pass up a good raffle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2422 View Post
    . Unfortunately most of the LBS around here are horrible for getting info on anything related to biking outside of them selling you something, in my opinion and still prefer going into Toronto for help.
    I strongly recommend Northern Cycle in Ajax, the guys are super helpful and experienced....
    They are taking good care of my bikes and I didn't buy not even one bike from them.

The only downside is the turn around time in peak season; sometimes I had to wait more than a week to get back my bike....

As for the series, it has a pretty relaxed atmosphere, lots of super fast guys, same course back to back weeks.

I'm planning to do a couple of them too.....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWiseFool View Post
    Did the whole series last year. I won't lie and say the races are easy. My first week, I only managed a lap before coughing up a lung. By half way through I was doing all 3 laps and getting quicker. Join us, you'll find it addicting. I highly recommend it for upping your fitness further.
    How long is each lap?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Usually between 4-5 km a lap. Typical race is 3 laps except for the very young or the very... "experienced". I think my phone gps was reading closer to 4 km after each lap.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast