Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Durham Forest Conditions

Rode Durham last night....most snow is gone...making for a fast/icy tract.
    Some sections were a little rough...due to freezing of previous bike/boot tracks...
    Studs were almost a given

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the update. I plan on hitting it tonight, although no studs so I'll be going slow(ish).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I was wondering if I'd be able to ride. Thanks for the update. Unfortunately I'm already in hibernation mode. haha

Enjoy the rides!

mtbr member
    Awesome conditions this morning - we all had studs and could keep a pretty good speed going. Surface was hard ice pack with snow dusting, some area we broke through the ice & found puddles but those were few & far between.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Another sweet day In Durham forest..

Durham Forest Conditions-2013-02-04-13.21.34.jpgDurham Forest Conditions-2013-02-04-13.04.03.jpgDurham Forest Conditions-2013-02-04-13.15.41.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Was there much ice under the snow? I was in some forest close to there last weekend and took a hard wipeout on the ice, I need studs.

Nice pics, looks a great day for a ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    Was there much ice under the snow? I was in some forest close to there last weekend and took a hard wipeout on the ice, I need studs.

Nice pics, looks a great day for a ride.
    I've been in Durham for the past month or so, riding each weekend. Ever since the last thaw studs are preferable, when (not if) you find the ice you get sufficient warning and can decide what you're going to do.
    Last weekend even hikers were having a rough time standing up it was so icy. With studs it was a non issue.

Get a set, they last forever and will save your butt when you least expect it.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Last weekend it was pretty much pure ice. I rode there last night and the 2-3" of new snow provided some traction on top of the ice base. It's all changed tonight though, will have the XC skis out on Sat.

mtbr member
    Can't wait until tomorrow. I'm hoping to be one of the first people there with XC skis. I love breaking trail! GM and WW will be beautiful!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Anybody been out today....Just looking to see if the drive to Durham will be worth it....??

I wonder why?
    I live about 10 minutes away and we have about 1 foot of snow on the ground and drifts as high as 2.5 feet. It's highly unlikely that enough of the trails will be sufficiently packed down by foot traffic for a decent ride.

A better bet would be Ravenshoe as it tends to get much more foot traffic. I'm heading there tomorrow morning to check it out.

i1dry?
    ...some drink from the fountain of knowledge..some only gargle...!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    anybody been here lately? any updates?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Not ridable yet, lots of soft slushy snow. Need the snow to melt and the ground to thaw, then it will be ridable. Probably a few weeks yet

I wonder why?
    Ravenshoe has been rideable. Last weekend there was a bit of new snow on top of a ribbon of ice. This Friday and Saturday should be okay in the morning if it get's below freezing overnight. Looks like it will be too warm and possibly raining on Sunday.

i1dry?
    ...some drink from the fountain of knowledge..some only gargle...!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Anyone been have an update?...
    Looking to ride early morning....maybe on Sunday

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    I've just went out yesterday to Heber Downs in Whitby, I know there would be less snow there then at DF and even here the trails were not ride-able. I'd say it was 60% un-ride-able conditions so I'm only gonna assume Durham Forest is still a good 3ish weeks away from no snow or ice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGK View Post
    I've just went out yesterday to Heber Downs in Whitby, I know there would be less snow there then at DF and even here the trails were not ride-able. I'd say it was 60% un-ride-able conditions so I'm only gonna assume Durham Forest is still a good 3ish weeks away from no snow or ice.
    Heber Downs? do they have good trails in the summer??

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Agree with BigGk was up in DF/Walkers Woods Fri evening on foot and there is a good 6-12" of packed snow on the trail and off trail is just as bad but soft. Can't say what Sat and Sunday did to it, but I agree, won't be any riding up there for a good 3 weeks at this rate.

Hope the local horse farms and owners don't go on the trails during the thaw like last year, already saw horse prints. From what I understand talking to the various horse people (and horse chiro) that I know, super unsafe for the horses when it is that soft and deep as they can blow the tendons in their feet making for a useless horse.
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

I Strava Hamburgers
    I enjoy Heber quite a bit and ride there in the summer for training and just getting outside. The trail system there is mainly double track with a fairly minimal amount of single track, but they have some really good lung burner climbs in there, and places to work on your flat land wattage. Also really good for getting your sand on when it gets really dry. I'd rather go to Durham Forest personally, but if I'm just going to get on the bike Heber is a great place. Hopefully enough interest forms, and we can do more with it, there's lots of opportunity there.

Its also child carrier friendly if you're just out for a ride with the family.

DF is thawed in some parts but still wet, and snow covered in others. I'd stay off the trails to allow them time to dry out and get going for the spring season. DMBA reports show the trails aren't ready for riding yet unless you want to rip them up an prolong the maintenance season for us.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Based on all the above inputs, how is the weekly series racing going to start next week at Durham Forest...

I Strava Hamburgers
    Odds are... probably pushed a week.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    At this rate, I am hoping for a possible ride the weekend of April 20/21. If not, perhaps the following weekend, April 27/28. I guess it depends on winter snow cover and spring weather. We had a decent amount of snow in the later half of winter this year, and spring weather has not been very sunny or warm so far. While Durham Forest is well drained, it doesn't help when the ground is semi-frozen and semi-snow covered. I will keep waiting. I may do a couple of punishing rides up to Durham on the gravel roads, only to look down the trail and turn around and ride home. It's a bit like torture, delayed gratification, but it helps to work up my fitness for the season.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I don't mind the snow or slush. It's when everything melts and it becomes all muddy. It's bad for the riders, bikes and most important of all, the trails. I was at the Don on Monday and Tuesday. Monday at 10am was great. I was expecting yesterday to be the same as it was colder, but because I went in the afternoon, all the hard frozen stuff became soft and muddy. Monday morning was pretty good, at least 50/50 in entire Don area and up to 95% at certain parts.

Don is the one that can be ridable at first in spring time. If Don is 50/50, Durham is not rideable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    We did the same on Friday with regards to DF - rode up from Whitby on various back roads, all told was 36k, locked the bikes up and changed and went into the forest on foot for 5hrs.

Was thinking of the Don this morning, we need some single track in a bad way as we have a race May 18th and we know we will be punished with probably 40-50k of single track and another 20 or so of gravel/access roads... bring on the sun and heat!
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    They are forecasting warmer temperatures and rain on and off which will help to melt the snow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast