Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Durham Conditions Sat/Sun

Thought there was Durham conditions thread, but couldn't find it.

Anyone have any foresight what the conditions might be like this coming weekend? Looking at heading up with some friends who have never been. Worried that it was snowy with lots of traffic then the warm/rain might have caused it to get pretty icy since it's cold again now.

Likely all be on fatbikes, no studs.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    From what I hear, the conditions are ok. We lost a lot of snow over the last couple of days but apparently the trails aren't too icy. I will be there Saturday morning so I am hoping that my sources are accurate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I rode Durham this morning and its in great shape....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Trail Condition Report for Saturday Dec 20
    Trails are in great condition.
    There is quite a lot of snow in the forest. Snow was very grippy so traction is awesome.

mtbr member
    I did a loop early this morning. Brock tract, Glen Major, Walker woods and Durham forest.
    All trails traveled were foot only traffic from animals and people until I got to DF which was nicely groomed from all the bike traffic on most popular trails.
    Most of GM,WW, and BT were a tough go yet still rideable and someone had been through a lot of the brock tract with a snowmobile which made things great considering it was crusty uneven foot traffic riddled otherwise.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Thought there was Durham conditions thread, but couldn't find it.

Anyone have any foresight what the conditions might be like this coming weekend? Looking at heading up with some friends who have never been. Worried that it was snowy with lots of traffic then the warm/rain might have caused it to get pretty icy since it's cold again now.

Likely all be on fatbikes, no studs.
    Did you guys make it out to Durham Forest?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhs View Post
    Did you guys make it out to Durham Forest?
    Unfortunately not. Didn't have concrete information till Saturday, plus friends couldn't come, so we pulled the plug Friday knowing that locally the trails were going to be pretty good and seeing as it's 1.25 hours to get there.

Turns out, it wasn't long after we pulled the plug and planned other rides that we found out from various sources the conditions were excellent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I was running in the Forest last night and conditions were/are absolutely perfect for riding, I was wishing I had my Niner with me instead of being on foot actually. Tons of Fat bike tread so the single track is well packed down and awesome traction. Fat bike for sure or a 29'er with low tire pressure would be perfect... but it is supposed to warm up, so will see what that does to the conditions.

I'm in Whitby and there is only a tad bit of snow in my ditch, up there it is a different world, but with again with the increase in temps, will have to see what the weekend gives. I'm planning on running up at 3Rock Friday, if I remember will post conditions.

oh - came across a guy around 7:30p on a Fatty... Quincy I believe, he was rocking it for sure!!
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    I was running in the Forest last night and conditions were/are absolutely perfect for riding, I was wishing I had my Niner with me instead of being on foot actually. Tons of Fat bike tread so the single track is well packed down and awesome traction. Fat bike for sure or a 29'er with low tire pressure would be perfect... but it is supposed to warm up, so will see what that does to the conditions.

I'm in Whitby and there is only a tad bit of snow in my ditch, up there it is a different world, but with again with the increase in temps, will have to see what the weekend gives. I'm planning on running up at 3Rock Friday, if I remember will post conditions.

oh - came across a guy around 7:30p on a Fatty... Quincy I believe, he was rocking it for sure!!

Hey that was me
    Just call me Q....nice to me you and your running mate...it was a fun night for sure. hope a fat bike is in your future...cheers
    Product designer @RSDBikes.com

"Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kreater View Post
    Hey that was me
    Just call me Q....nice to me you and your running mate...it was a fun night for sure. hope a fat bike is in your future...cheers
    Q, nice to meet you! what was the Fat Bike you were riding? I remember Calgary but couldn't remember the make, I think there was a '2' in the name!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    Q, nice to meet you! what was the Fat Bike you were riding? I remember Calgary but couldn't remember the make, I think there was a '2' in the name!
    that bike was built by Twenty2 Cycles in Colorado....see you on the trail soon
    Product designer @RSDBikes.com

"Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    In case anyone is checks ... was up at 3Rock this morning for a run, went almost all the way up to the Bell Tower, turned back around post 9 or 11... As far as biking is concerned I would not ride there.

Some sections were perfect, drier and good traction, some still frozen and some turning into mud and that was this morning (finished around 10:30a), with the increasing temp's it will only get worse. As we got further north (posts 9-11 area) there was more snow and ice, ideal for a Fatty, but a bit too soft for my 29'er I'd think.

I would expect Durham Forest to be still snow covered considering it had a pretty solid packed base from earlier in the week, but also would not be surprised that by tomorrow afternoon it is getting mushy in areas.

I drove onto that road that is immediately north of Hy-Hope Farm to check out how much snow is in there (have some family from Jamaica that have never seen snow and figured that hill might be a good place to show some) this is the top of the Dagmar Ski Hill but even there, there was minimal snow and you could see patches of grass on the backside of some of the slopes.

In short, I'd avoid 3Rock and any trail along that line save the trails, and hope that DF is nice.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Update for Durham and EDH (Glen Major and Walker Woods).
    Rode from the Bell Tower down to 3 Rocks today and the conditions were great.
    Ground is frozen with very little ice. Trails bare for the most part with a bit more snow cover as you travel north.
    Rode in Durham Forest on Tuesday and most singletrack had snow cover which was hiding ice in numerous places. Kept us on our toes. Fat bike tires slide out just as easy as normal tires!
    Hopefully the weatherman is half right and we get snow Saturday and not the rain on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anybody been up there this week past, or yesterday? Thinking on riding this afternoon instead of the 4hrs planned on the rollers/trainer.

Ran almost all of Glen Major last Sunday and it was decent to ride, but a week has past...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Osteo, we did a ride in Durham this morning. Over-all it was good. There is ice in spots on most trails so you do need to be cautious. Ogre and Out was the iciest. Generally the farther south you go the better the traction. We rode fatbikes with only two of eleven riders having studs. There were a few minor crashes caused by front wheel slide outs but over-all everyone had a great time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Osteo, we did a ride in Durham this morning. Over-all it was good. There is ice in spots on most trails so you do need to be cautious. Ogre and Out was the iciest. Generally the farther south you go the better the traction. We rode fatbikes with only two of eleven riders having studs. There were a few minor crashes caused by front wheel slide outs but over-all everyone had a great time.

Thanks Mikhs - I happened to stop to have a bite to eat and my phone buzzed so took a peak and saw your message. I was sitting at the front of Logs Over Easy at the time!

I'd say conditions were perfect for riding, for those without FatBikes reading this and are curious on conditions for a normal sized tire I'm riding a 29'er (Racing Ralph front, Slant 6 Rear) I dropped the pressure down to 15lbs in front and 18lbs in the rear and spun the rear maybe twice. Otherwise no mishaps and I'm tempted to say in some places traction was near as good as being on the dirt! Other places not as much so don't get too over-confident.

Although when I left (around 3:30p) it was starting to be freezing rain so I expect it to be a bit more slick tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Osteo, glad you had a good ride. We are going to do the trails on the other side of the road (Glen Major/Walker Woods) Sunday morning for a change of pace. Temps will be a bit chillier with a forecast for -16 feeling like -26 at ride start time. Extra layer weather. Hopefully the forecast is right for Thursday when they are calling for 5-10 cm of snow. Enough with the rain already!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'll keep my frozen eyes out for you, we are running from 3Rock heading towards the bell Tower starting at 7:30, 25k is planned. I'll be the taller nutbar in a blue jacket!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Went for a quick ride last night after work....Durham conditions were Great!!!...just a little on the chilly side -14c....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Anyone know how Durham is after the snow this week? Hoping to go on the fatty tomorrow

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Lots of snow in the forest. We had a crew of a dozen or so snowshoers last night do a loop of about 8k to pack down the snow. Unfortunately the snow is not really good packing snow so although you should be able to ride, expect to work fairly hard.

If you make it out could you report back here to let us know how it went? Have fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Lots of snow in the forest. We had a crew of a dozen or so snowshoers last night do a loop of about 8k to pack down the snow. Unfortunately the snow is not really good packing snow so although you should be able to ride, expect to work fairly hard.

If you make it out could you report back here to let us know how it went? Have fun.
    Thanks for the report! 90% chance I will make it out there tomorrow visiting my grams - will report back if I do!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    rode 14km in there today - stones, bowes, buttoer and toast are all good - there were a bunch of fatties out there today

anything to the south of that was too soft for my vanhelgas on 65mm rims - might be ok on 100mm rims and some 5" tires - appeared to be lots of snowshoe trails carved out to the south

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the update. Sounds like all the trails we packed on Wednesday are good. More snow coming so we might get out again snowshoeing mid week and hit some of the trails to the south, The Maze, Maple Gravy, the Pines, Ogre and Out and Logs Over Easy. Going snowshoeing tomorrow but will likely stick to off trail where the snow is deep and the hills are steep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast