mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Dundas Valley Trails Closed

Hi All,

FYI . . .

Just went down to the Dundas Valley trails for a light ride with the grilfriend. The website says that the trails are open, but there are signs posted at the trails saying that they are closed.

Also, went to Ancaster Cycle to ask if any trails are rideable in the area. They said that everything is a mess right now.

If anyone knows any rideable trails in the area, I'd like to know . . .

Thanks!

bi-winning
    Right now, all trails will be wet in spots, with most of the singletrack being very messy.

The weather for this week looks great, so by Friday, the rail trails should be in great shape for a ride, and i imagine the main loop trail would not be too bad either. I can't advise riding trails when the signs say they are closed though. The singletrack will probably take longer yet.

I'm not sure what website you were looking at, but this one says the trails are closed to bikes.

Current Trail Conditions: Trails in the valley are currently closed to cyclists and equestrian users due to soft and muddy conditions. For up-to-the-minute trail updates, please call 905-627-1233.
    ps, welcome to MTBR
    Last edited by rkj__; 04-14-2008 at 01:38 PM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah, there won't be much out there that is ridable for a while yet. I have a couple local "routes thru trees" that I'd hesitate to call trails, but they are a hint of dirt on an otherwise boring road ride, and they're still pretty damp....some are still mud, while others are really soft dirt.

With the weather forecast this week, I'd expect that the trails will firm up pretty quickly, but it might still be a couple weeks yet before the trails are safe to ride. As rkj said, the main loop in Dundas Valley dries out pretty good, but then it's more a hilly rail trail than anything else, while the rest of the valley stays pretty sloppy.

....we're getting there, but gawd I hate having to wait this long

Tim

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullycanpara
    Yeah, there won't be much out there that is ridable for a while yet. I have a couple local "routes thru trees" that I'd hesitate to call trails, but they are a hint of dirt on an otherwise boring road ride, and they're still pretty damp....some are still mud, while others are really soft dirt.

With the weather forecast this week, I'd expect that the trails will firm up pretty quickly, but it might still be a couple weeks yet before the trails are safe to ride. As rkj said, the main loop in Dundas Valley dries out pretty good, but then it's more a hilly rail trail than anything else, while the rest of the valley stays pretty sloppy.

....we're getting there, but gawd I hate having to wait this long

Tim
    It's important to note, that the forecast is also predicting moderate winds (20-35km/h) which really helps to dry out the trails along with the warm temperatures.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Evil Jr.
    We did another reconnaissance ride last night on the rail trail from Dundas and then back again through Iroquois Heights along Chedoke. There is just the barest hint of snow along the way and the trial is way firm.

The trails in the Valley looked a mess. Even the Main Loop looked swampy at the bottom of the switchback. Headwaters looked equally soupy (not to mention the deep MTB tracks in the trail ).

Probably at least another week or two until it's really ready to ride but Martin's road might be doable if your looking to get your tires dirty.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    you can ride the chedoke rail trail as it is now completely clear and mostly dry from the highway all the way to the dundurn stairs. If you want to do some more technical trail riding the trails up near the escarpment after the chedoke parking lot is almost fully dry. They are extremely rocky so they dry out really quick. You can ride all the way from where they start (just after the golf course ends) all the way to becket drive. I usually cross becket drive and ride up the escarpment on the rocky trail that takes you to the bottom of west 5th. It is a good workout and will give you some riding to dry until all the single track dries out.

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by kaikara
    you can ride the chedoke rail trail as it is now completely clear and mostly dry from the highway all the way to the dundurn stairs. If you want to do some more technical trail riding the trails up near the escarpment after the chedoke parking lot is almost fully dry. They are extremely rocky so they dry out really quick. You can ride all the way from where they start (just after the golf course ends) all the way to becket drive. I usually cross becket drive and ride up the escarpment on the rocky trail that takes you to the bottom of west 5th. It is a good workout and will give you some riding to dry until all the single track dries out.
    Right on. Thanks. Its amazing what a half decent week makes.

bi-winning
    *Suddenly, Ryan wishes he had not left his mountain bike in Niagara Falls.*

Oh well, not a big deal.

Shorthills Cycling Club