mtbr member
    Jan 2013

New question here. Dufferin Forest trail conditions?

Hey Everyone,

Wanting to go for a ride in Dufferin Forest, Main tract, on Thursday evening (April 24th). I was wondering if anyone has been there recently and has an idea on trail conditions? I know it will be one of the early places to dry out and be good to go but don't want to cause damage by going early. Any input would be great, thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I walked a bit of it on Sunday and some sections are dry, lots still have snow/ice, and everywhere appears to have horse crap.
    Dufferin Forest trail conditions?-img_20140420_165424.jpgDufferin Forest trail conditions?-img_20140420_165543.jpgDufferin Forest trail conditions?-img_20140420_165946.jpg

mtbr member
    We ride there regularly.
    Was out sunday as well, if you can stay to the south side, you will find some spots of snow still, but majority is rideable. Going to be heading there Wednesday night so I can give an update after the ride.
    As for trail damage, you wont be causing any, the spots that are bare from snow are dry and you wont be leaving any marks in the soil.
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Great! I can't wait to get out. Will be the third ride of the year on dirt! First two were by the Simcoe County buildings on HWY26. Some snow areas but other than that they were dry. Looking forward to the update.

mtbr member
    Dufferin Forest is good to go. We did the stick and Lollipop trails, about 14km, and there was a little spot of snow, but you can ride beside it no problem. A few new trees down, all are rideable. Fingers crossed they don't get cut out...

Dufferin Forest trail conditions?-img_20140423_183519.jpg

Dufferin Forest trail conditions?-img_20140423_183526.jpg

Ran into a couple riders on skinny tired bikes, they had no problems.

Also, on Sunday we are planning on heading out there to do some trail clean up, will have it posted on the teamvango.ca website hopefully today, the time etc...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dufferin Forest trail conditions?-img_20140423_183526.jpg  

Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!

mtbr member

Dufferin Forest trail conditions?

Hey shanty
    Was good to meet ya !
    Hope you guys can make it out Sunday
    Ride a Santa Cruz heckler
    And many part bikes : )
    " Team Van Go"

mtbr member
    will be there for the clean up and hopefully for a ride
    Team Van Go

humber river advocate
    we will try to make it for 1pm
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I plan to be there Sunday. I might only be in for an hour or so depending on plans but want to come out an meet some people and assist with some trail maintenance. I hope the rain is done as I want to get out tomorrow afternoon as well. Trails were amazing on Thursday, only one very small area with ice. Other than that it was super dry!

It was great to meet and chat with you too Crash. Some great work you and others have done there!

humber river advocate
    great turn out! was good to see everyone and lots of work got done. duff is really beginning to shape up with the van go's!
    Support TORBA

pin it
    It was great to give back to the trails we love riding

Must have been about 30 people helping. We brought our bikes and did Bernie's loops to wind down after a successful day
     photo DSC04229_zpsc9fd7769.jpg

Beautiful day!
     photo DSC04247_zpsc33d02f8.jpg

Singlesprocket and I worked on a nice section and built a trail to the top of a hill
     photo DSC04251_zps9cbe745d.jpg

We had to cut out serveral pine trees left by the loggers.
     photo DSC04243_zps3a39e6a2.jpg

Taking a break
     photo DSC04252_zps54bde944.jpg

Can't wait to return !
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    A Huge thank you to everyone that came out and helped. All but 1 trail has been completely cleaned up!!! Lots or riders in the forest and all were super friendly and happy with the work that got done.
    The last trail should be done this week!
    Again thanks to everyone!!!
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!

mtbr member
    it was great getting out there with everyone.
    trails are in great shape and the ones we worked on now need riders
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Great to hear Duff getting some love. For years we just rode the old moto trails and cleaned dead fall off as it came down.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    We were in there late yesterday afternoon/evening...didn't know there was going to be a clean-up day or I would have tried to get there earlier. The trails are in great shape...kudos and big thank you's to everyone who gave up their Sunday to work on them!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Today was my first ride ever on the beautiful Dufferin Forest trails and I got predictably lost. Rode the lollypop trail and then a nice gentleman told me how to get to what was marked "Ken's Trail". Unfortunately, about half way around it I ran into the recently logged stuff and completely lost the trail. I wound up having to head west on the fire road until I got back to the lollypop trail.

When you hit the fire road at the logging, are you supposed to go straight across? That seemed like new trail that went no where. Or am I blind and just missed a cut off?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I hit that area the other day too and lost the trail. What I did was go back down the small piece of single track I had just come up and then went left, up the hill on the double track. Part way up the hill I found single track that crossed the trail and went left again, and followed that around which took me back to where Ken's trail split. Hopefully that makes sense.

Also, the trail day was fun, I was able to help out for an hour and a half. Only thing that was not fun was that my dog got attacked by this other ladies dog, didn't appreciate that. She didn't even apologize which was a bit of a shock. Oh well he was fine but she shouldn't have her dog out unleashed if it is unpredictable and attacks other dogs for no reason. Won't let it stop me from coming to another trail day or group ride but I will leave the dogs at home for those times.

mtbr member
    We are hoping to finish the new trail where it was logged soon.... the trail use to go straight across, but it's long gone now.... if you get to that section, you can turn right, and keep an eye to the left... you'll see a trail heading straight up the hill... a bit of a shitty climb... that trail will Tee onto a fire road, a quick left and you'll see in the distance the sign for simcoe... about 300meters towards the sign and on your right you can pick up the trail again...

But like i said, hopefully we will get the trail through the logged section done soon...
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks! That should help next time I'm out. Sure glad I had a GPS at that moment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DudeWard View Post
    I got predictably lost.
    That is how every Dufferin ride should be. Go get lots in there and you'll find trail you never knew existed.

mtbr member

Dufferin Forest trail conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWard View Post
    Today was my first ride ever on the beautiful Dufferin Forest trails and I got predictably lost. Rode the lollypop trail and then a nice gentleman told me how to get to what was marked "Ken's Trail". Unfortunately, about half way around it I ran into the recently logged stuff and completely lost the trail. I wound up having to head west on the fire road until I got back to the lollypop trail.

When you hit the fire road at the logging, are you supposed to go straight across? That seemed like new trail that went no where. Or am I blind and just missed a cut off?
    Like shirk said , getting lost is a ritual we've all done : )
    Long term goals are to have the trails mapped and to have signage. Until then , best thing to do is to go on a ride with one of the locals.
    And if you enjoy the trails please show up for the dufferin management plan open house and support these trails
    Ride a Santa Cruz heckler
    And many part bikes : )
    " Team Van Go"

humber river advocate
    just bump the thread with the location and time of this important meeting

Date:
    May 9, 2014
    Time:
    3:00 pm - 8:00 pm

Venue
    Sutton Room
    55 Zina Street, Orangeville,

Quote Originally Posted by Crash&bern View Post
    Like shirk said , getting lost is a ritual we've all done : )
    Long term goals are to have the trails mapped and to have signage. Until then , best thing to do is to go on a ride with one of the locals.
    And if you enjoy the trails please show up for the dufferin management plan open house and support these trails
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Just wanted to bring this back up, there is also a second meeting at the Dufferin County Museum, at the intersection of Hwy 89 and Airport Rd.

Date:
    May 10, 2014
    Time:
    10:00 am - 4:00 pm

Venue
    Dufferin County Museum & Archives, Airport Rd. & Hwy. 89

Please come out to either one of these venues, as the more people we get out there to support biking the better.

Also, on a side note, the parking lot yesterday was packed with bikers. Great to see so many people out there enjoying the forest, and the trails are in great shape.
    Get out there and ride.
    Cheers
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!