mtbr member

Dufferin County (aka Mansfield) a great fall ride

Out riding in dufferin forest his weekend Sat and Sunday. Lots of stuff going on out there. Today there were Mushroom pickers, hikers, lots of mountain bikers, equestrians, and hunters! (this time of year please dress in bright colours). DF is a great place to ride in the fall as Crash & Bern mentioned the drainage is incredible. C&B and I rode on Sat in the rain and there was not a mud puddle to be found. Rode today and it was totally dry. I find a big issue with a lot of riders I meet and talk to is that they don't really know the trails or only know one loop, one way. C&B and I were talking while we were riding on Sat and batted around a bunch of ideas for marking loops if we get approval from the county. We would want to mark out a few loops of different lengths so riders would know what they were getting into and not have to worry about looking at a map.

Good news is that due to poor weather the OCTA organized trail ride numbers seemed to be down so the damage to the trails by the horses seemed minimal this weekend.

I have been thinking about organizing a mansfield ride in the next few weeks that would be an open invitation to anyone who has or has not ridden the trails there. It seems a lot of people know about the trails but don't know where they are or where they go. I'm thinking of a 25-30 km ride (almost all single track) showcasing most of the trails in Dufferin Forest at a leisurely pace (no racing here!) The number of ridable weekends are coming to and end so I'm not sure if it can happen or not. If you would be interested post a reply on this thread and we can see if we can all make this happen.
    And sorry but I've got to do this...please fill out the D.C. survey at:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DVGS75J

Thanks and see you in the rain at Dufferin Forest!
    S.C. Heckler
    S.C. Blur xc
    Surly Necromancer
    team van go

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    ah man you guys are going to start showing the goods to outsiders? It's all gone pete tong. j/k Johnny.

Ah the days of just exploring in there and finding some random singletrack, no idea where it went or what it was, certainly no maps. Just had to keep track of if you generally were going north/south or east/west. I don't think I can count the number of times Jeff, Ken, and I would end up needing to ride back out in the dark.

mtbr member
    You know i'd be there 100%!
    An completely agree, the trails there are great this time of the year.
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    i'm in
    Team Van Go

mtbr member

Dufferin County (aka Mansfield) a great fall ride

Survey complete.

Please keep us updated on the tour!

mtbr member
    hekler says it never rains in mansfield. the sun is always shining (except at night).
    he might even guarantee this.
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    Hey Shirk, Ya, time to share, I'm sorry if you feel it's going to lessen the mystery of Mansfield. ....It's not like I'm going to give away any big secrets though, the trails have been GPSed and Strava'd to no end and there are lot of maps on line for every trail in Dufferin and Simcoe. I also had to learn the network of trails by searching them out and getting lost a lot and agree that that is the greatest way of finding new trails and places to ride is by experience. Everyone also used to use this paper thingy called a roadmap (I still do). Now cars, phones, watches, bike computers, you name it..has a GPS with maps, cookie trails and everything else so that you never have to think about where you are or where you are going, just follow the little dots or the nice lady telling you which way she thinks is the best way. Trust me, I don't like it and I do totally agree with you. I love a good map, or looking where the sun may be or just not caring where I am. You find the best places when you are lost.
    The Dufferin Forest management plan is being revised in 2014 and part of sharing the trails with other riders is to show others what is out there to support. Other times when trail networks were not supported by the mountain bike community (i.e. Hockley Valley, Mono Centre ect..) we have lost trails to other users. Most other locations that have succeeded (Three Stages, Kolopore, Palgrave, Bruce County, Simcoe County...) in obtaining mountain bike acceptance and permission to build MTB specific trails, required support from the MTB community. By sharing a bit I'm hoping to show others what we are trying to protect and expand on. No share, no support, no get.
    At this point, the County is paying attention to the surveys, has contacted IMBA and OCA and has a traffic counter at the entrance of the parking lot. I doubt that OCTRA and OTRA (local horse groups) are keeping to themselves about the trails and not showing the goods to outsiders. The bike and horse traffic has drastically increased over the past few years and I doubt it is going to slow down.
    I imagine a few may come out if I do this tour, but I doubt it will change how confusing the spider web network of fire roads and single track will feel to everyone. And you can always still choose to use a compass, look for the sun and ignore that annoying lady telling you which way she thinks you should go and just ride.
    S.C. Heckler
    S.C. Blur xc
    Surly Necromancer
    team van go

humber river advocate
    interesting thing about mono is that the land manager directs trail construction and maintenance through the bta. so to get permission to repair a trail used for mtbing you have to get it approved by the bta. we went through this song and dance before and the bta has no interest in sharing the trails. though they welcome the experienced help. we just have to watch when their trail plans come up for review.

heckler have you prepared a formal trail proposal for duff yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Hekler View Post
    Hey Shirk, Ya, time to share, I'm sorry if you feel it's going to lessen the mystery of Mansfield. ....It's not like I'm going to give away any big secrets though, the trails have been GPSed and Strava'd to no end and there are lot of maps on line for every trail in Dufferin and Simcoe. I also had to learn the network of trails by searching them out and getting lost a lot and agree that that is the greatest way of finding new trails and places to ride is by experience. Everyone also used to use this paper thingy called a roadmap (I still do). Now cars, phones, watches, bike computers, you name it..has a GPS with maps, cookie trails and everything else so that you never have to think about where you are or where you are going, just follow the little dots or the nice lady telling you which way she thinks is the best way. Trust me, I don't like it and I do totally agree with you. I love a good map, or looking where the sun may be or just not caring where I am. You find the best places when you are lost.
    The Dufferin Forest management plan is being revised in 2014 and part of sharing the trails with other riders is to show others what is out there to support. Other times when trail networks were not supported by the mountain bike community (i.e. Hockley Valley, Mono Centre ect..) we have lost trails to other users. Most other locations that have succeeded (Three Stages, Kolopore, Palgrave, Bruce County, Simcoe County...) in obtaining mountain bike acceptance and permission to build MTB specific trails, required support from the MTB community. By sharing a bit I'm hoping to show others what we are trying to protect and expand on. No share, no support, no get.
    At this point, the County is paying attention to the surveys, has contacted IMBA and OCA and has a traffic counter at the entrance of the parking lot. I doubt that OCTRA and OTRA (local horse groups) are keeping to themselves about the trails and not showing the goods to outsiders. The bike and horse traffic has drastically increased over the past few years and I doubt it is going to slow down.
    I imagine a few may come out if I do this tour, but I doubt it will change how confusing the spider web network of fire roads and single track will feel to everyone. And you can always still choose to use a compass, look for the sun and ignore that annoying lady telling you which way she thinks you should go and just ride.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Johnny I should have used a winky or smiley face. Is there a sarcasm specific one?

I 100% agree that the Duff needs more exposure, some good proper maps, and to finally get the love it deserves. I hope you guys can get a mtb friendly management plan passed.

One of the things I enjoy most here in North Van is exploring for new trails, so many rogue trails get built that are not mapped and to find them you need to just go and wander around in the bush.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    One of the things I enjoy most here in North Van is exploring for new trails, so many rogue trails get built that are not mapped and to find them you need to just go and wander around in the bush.
    That's always been my favourite way to find new trails. There's just something so rewarding when you do find one - especially a good one. "Aha, I knew I'd find one here!"
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Hey Brian, that's the issue with this stuff, misread emotions. I actually didn't take any offence to your post and meant none in return. I think mine actually turned into more of a rant about GPS and Strava which would mean that I indirectly totally agreed with your post! Thanks for your support...I hope this upcoming Mgt plan does lead to something but it is possible that nothing will change. I just mainly want to make sure it doesn't change for the worse. There are other users that have a very strong voice. It would be nice to be able to build trail in there with out looking over your shoulder all the time.
    See you around, Johhny

Singlesprocket...We are not at the point yet where the Forest Manager is wanting a formal trail proposal. That will not likely be until next year.
    S.C. Heckler
    S.C. Blur xc
    Surly Necromancer
    team van go