Thread: downhill trails

mtbr member
    May 2009

downhill trails

Hey everyone, I was just curious if anyone knew of any downhillish/freeridish trails around here? I know theres some downhill at blue mountain but anything besides that? Particularly around kitchener/waterloo?

Thanks!

Sir Hurt Locker
    Closest thing to downhill near K-W is Kelso in Milton. But its pretty tame downhill and there is no lift access. Blue Mountain and Sir Sam’s Ski Area are the two downhill places I know of in Ontario. Not sure if Camp Fortune is still offering downhill riding. There really isn't much downhill or freeride in Ontario, honestly seeing guys ride full blown downhill rigs in Ontario makes me laugh.
    Cheers,

Seb

humber river advocate
    i would check this place out which is near you...
    http://www.imba.com/canada/trails_tales/chicopee.html

yeah ontario is vertically challenged... though a "mini downhill" setup is a great concept. you don't need a huge grade and you can have a number of runs you can session with all sorts of features.

big bikes are overkill, but ride what makes you happy. i started with a heckler/pike... (rear shock/fork blown), then upgraded to a transition preston/ fox 36 (rear shock blown, forked flexed a lot, cooked off 6" saint brakes) now ride a bullet with a bomber 66 with hope moto brakes. this bike works great for me. ride it everywhere (ontario/quebec), downhill/freeride/enduro/urban. it's reliable, does not squeak, and tough to break.

mtbr member
    Yeah, there's isn't much around the GTA other then Blue and illegal stunts/DH runs in a variety of places.

If you want to ride as much DH as possible, get into racing. Many places open up DH specific trails only for race weekends.

Other then that, be prepared to travel to Camp Fortune (open this year!), Bromont, St. Anne, Diablo, Whiteface, Snowshoe, etc. Lots of options but not much local. Blue used to be more fun with stunts, jumps, drops, but they tamed the whole thing down due to insurance problems, gotta love Ontario for that one

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hmm seems like i picked a bad place hahaha, well I just bought a 2008 norco team dh which is probably overkill for what im going to find here but eh oh well...I dont mind traveling long distances to find some nice dh trails but they better be worth it

Sir Hurt Locker
    If you don't mind travelling long distance go to Bromont, Monte Sainte Anne, and Diablo Freeride Park. They are all definitely worth the trip and have some fun trails with lots of stunts!
    Cheers,

Seb

Out there
    Aug 2006
    There are a few hidden downhill trails here and there but you have to earn the descent. 3-Stage has a really good downhill trail but it's a long way back up the hill.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixons_back
    Hmm seems like i picked a bad place hahaha, well I just bought a 2008 norco team dh which is probably overkill for what im going to find here but eh oh well...I dont mind traveling long distances to find some nice dh trails but they better be worth it
    Well first off, if you haven't already done so, check in with Norco as your frame is going through a product recall at the moment. Some head tube issue and a replacement front triangle is necessary.

Bad place? meh depends on what you're referring to. GTA has some amazing XC riding around it with diverse terrain options, from sandy areas, to clay, roots & shield rock. There are dozens of places to ride, not all published but you'll find them eventually.

When you consider you're close to Quebec and NE US with significant elevation, it's all there, just not at your doorstep.

Plattekill is also not too far with a large number of stunts and very tech riding.

If your only bike is the Norco Team, then you'll be spending more time driving then riding. I'd suggest get an AM ride that does it all, you'll have fun on the trails and be able to hit any stunts you happen to come across. I have both, a lift assist bike and an AM ride. One gets 98% of my ride time, the other is my insurance policy when things get steep & rocky at DH destinations.
    Last edited by HubbaMan; 06-01-2009 at 08:25 PM.