mtbr member

don't ship UPS ground when ordering from U.S.

WTF, so I ordered a new stem for my nomad a gravity lite OS 1.5" 90mm-$79.99 from speedgoat. Had a real hard time finding a 1.5" @ 90mm. UPS just showed up and there is and outstanding fee of $41.58 , BRUTAL. My jaw dropped when the driver spit it out, there was no way I was paying over half the cost of the stem in brokerage fees, fahq that. Even the driver thought it was abnormally high, he gave me the packing slip and told me to call the office to see if something could be done. NO. They have a standard brokerage fee of 31 something for anything priced with a value between $40.01 and $100.00. Retarded. Could you imagine paying that $31 on something that was only $45. So I call speedgoat, nothing they could do(nice guys tho) except next time specify to ship regular postal service as their brokerage fees are much more reasonable. Which is I have been used to. My only option-drive to port of entry and clear the parcel myself or pay the $41.58. So road trip to fort erie. I only live in Hamilton luckily, so I'll hit up the outlet stores in Niagara on my way to get my stem at their depot where I will only have to pay taxes which total $10.55. SO NEVER EVER SHIP UPS GROUND OR UPS ANYTHING.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden119
    SO NEVER EVER SHIP UPS GROUND OR UPS ANYTHING.
    With the exception of Jenson. They still get a even though they use UPS. This has been thoroughly discussed in the best mail order thread.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    ,yeah thats how I feel after reading that thread, that shite should be a STICKY. thanks rkj also what nspace rings true UPS air has the duty included into it that's what UPS told me as well. They're still pricks though.

Bored
    I learned that too. I always ship expedited mail when using speedgoat.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Live Free or Ride!
    I agree UPS blows. I find FedEx to be the best followed by USPS and then DHL.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

Made in Canada
    I will ship USPS whenever I can, and DHL is even better (faster and same fee). UPS is always a big fat slap in the face, even if somewhere says they'll only ship UPS ask them if they will for a special case send USPS, most of the time it's no big deal.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    UPS isn't all that bad, I have had great luck at least getting things quickly and on time, and a few times even a day ahead of schedule. I have even had the driver pop by when I wasn't home and come by later after work hours to try again in the same day. The local driver who has gotten used to my frequent bike part deliveries even knows to go around and leave large packages in my back yard out of sight. Brokerage is NOT included with UPS ground fee's, so you should always expect to owe something at the door, usually a minimum of $30-35 + a $4 dollar COD service fee. Pay the extra money and get it shipped air mail and it is included. This is partly why shopping with Jenson is such a breeze. The only way to avoid brokerage with UPS ground is to clear your own customs at the border as you said, other wise choose a faster method of shipping if you use UPS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    UPS isn't all that bad
    are you high? did you miss the part where there's a mandatory charge of 31 and change for any item between 40.01 and a 100. Which means it's possible the "duty" charge could be up to 75% of the declared value. Regardless of their other shipping policies it don't take a rocket scientist to figure out something is fishy. I asked the lady about that charge, what she felt about it, total silence. Of course, like she's gonna agree with me, but realistically get a rep of UPS face to face and have him or her to try and justify that charge,and all you would get is silence. It's plain to me and any person with SOME intelligence to figure out that something isn't right there. Also I recently ordered a new cpu desk and office chair, both had damaged sustained during shipping. I will never ship anything with UPS, I could care less about tracking. Even the guy at Speedgoat said he had worked there in the past and could vouch that no one gives a **** in the sorting centers, I guess it goes all the way up the ladder. And the fact that the "air" shipping in whole, is less than the "duty" charge if shipped on the ground. That right there tells you they're gouging their customers. I only wish I had known this beforehand. Should be a nice drive though, might even bring the bike and ride the falls. Are you on the UPS payroll?-not that bad-LOL

mtbr member
    Well of course you're taking only a portion of my words and commenting on them. All I am saying is fee's aside, their service has been quite good for me. Canada post tracking is a joke, and their policies about leaving a package are annoying (90% of the time I end up having to drive 25km to "local" postal station to pick my stuff up, that isn't what I paid for).

I don't agree with the brokerage fees either, but they are there and not much we can do it about it when shipping ground (as arbitrary as they are). That is why I don't ship ground if I don't have to. Don't comment on my intelligence because you're angry due to your lack of research before shipping w/ UPS ground. Multiple posts on here about mail order in Canada would have revealed that there is flat rate brokerage fee on items not shipped via air, so it wouldn't have been a suprise. And no, I don't work for UPS.

Muskoka

that's strange....

...this week I just received four new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires for my WRX. Ordered from Tire Rack on-line and was shipped via UPS from Indiana. Brokerage fee = $30. Much larger, heavier, and expensive to handle than a bike stem. hmmm
    Actually, that brings me to a point about why I like the Tire Rack check-out. They list all the costs (taxes, duty, shipping, brokerage) up front b4 you click off on the order.

mtbr member
    nothing personal meant, it's just I wasn't about to hear anybody try and spin it into "they're not that bad", really. on top of it, I had just got into a scrap with some trucker on the side of the road. My blow off valve was still off, I wasn't trying to comment on your intelligence. If I offended you than I apologize for that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    Actually, that brings me to a point about why I like the Tire Rack check-out. They list all the costs (taxes, duty, shipping, brokerage) up front b4 you click off on the order.
    Jenson is the exact same way, the price when you checkout is the price at your doorstep. I think Jenson uses UPS, and the derailleurs I ordered came in less than 24 hours from the time I ordered, very quick.
    2007 Giant Trance 2

mtbr member
    This is well known for anyone who has traded across the border before.

UPS sucks, period. Infact, I wont even buy from eBay or anything like that unless its agreed that UPS is not in the equation. I hate them that much. Sick of being ripped off for no good reason by dumb fees which are always varying. I've even argued with them that if I get something sent USPS airmail there are NO FEES aside from the actual shipping charge. They usually just bump down the fee a little bit. Better than nothing I guess. I still refuse to use them.

Moral of the story... always go for USPS air. No brokerage fees ever.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    I bought a stem for $20.00 US on ebay and ended up being charged $22.00 in fees since they have a minimum charge for items over $20.00 Seems they do the conversion first and it came to over $20.00 Canadian so they added the fee.

What a joke. I refuse to use them for anything and specify to any seller from anywhere that I will not accept this as a delivery option. No fees since.
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

Sir Hurt Locker
    Has anyone bought stuff from www.BlueskyCycling.com and shipped to Canada? I have a package on the way, just wondering what I should expect to pay when they deliver it. The total of the package came to about $400.00. Thanx
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_Tires
    Has anyone bought stuff from www.BlueskyCycling.com and shipped to Canada? I have a package on the way, just wondering what I should expect to pay when they deliver it. The total of the package came to about $400.00. Thanx
    It depends on your method of shipment. USPS or DHL you're quite safe as they have $5 handling plus tax and $7 brokerage respectively.

mtbr member
    You think that is bad? Try receiving an order of 4 Yeti bikes to our shop (from Yeti in Col.) and getting stuck with a $1700 COD! WTF! Looks like the retail just went up a little bit!

(FYI, the retail did not actually get raised, and we are now dealing with a 3rd party broker)

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_Tires
    On my last bluesky order i made this winter, I didn't pay anything outside of the shipping! Just picked it up at the post office, no charge.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    ya the only place i dont mind ups is with jenson anywhere else you get screwed
    09 Demo 8 I
    06' Big Hit III
    06' Hardrock Pro
    08' P3

Shane C.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    On my last bluesky order i made this winter, I didn't pay anything outside of the shipping! Just picked it up at the post office, no charge.
    Probably USPS airmail.
    Very nice!
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

Sir Hurt Locker
    I didn't have an option when choosing my shipping method, there is only one. It is definately by air though so hopefully thats a good thing.
    Cheers,

Seb