Thread: Don Valley

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Don Valley

I was wondering if anyone is riding in the Don Valley. Is it dry enough?
    I will be driving 2hrs to get there so before I head out this weekend I just wanted to make sure it was rideable.
    Thanks

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    No it will not be dry enough. Earliest will be maybe May long weekend.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Earliest May long weekend?? I can't imagine it will be anywhere near that long.

I Like Bicycles
    My first ride last year was at the Don, on April 27th. It was plenty dry then.

But, that was then, this is now...

Probably going to scope it out the week of the 20th
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    I was wondering if anyone is riding in the Don Valley. Is it dry enough?
    I will be driving 2hrs to get there so before I head out this weekend I just wanted to make sure it was rideable.
    Thanks
    It's good that you posted before jumping in your car and driving to T.O. to ride the Don. It is an awesome trail system and those of us who live or work in T.O. are fortunate to have something like that we can ride to. However, the trails do not drain quickly and are very susceptible to rutting, which wrecks the trails for everyone . Give it a couple of weeks at the minimum, please. You will be glad you waited...

Also there is a facebook group for The Don and if you ask to join and post there asking about conditions before you head down, you will get the skinny from the locals...
    Strava made me do it....

Dog Slow
    The Don is my backyard, and it is still very very wet. Even some of the Don Valley paved trails still have snow on them, parts of the paved path in Taylor Creek had over 1m of snow still on it last weekend. I commute and train throughout the trail system and can report back when things are dry enough.

Few Days Ago:

Don Valley-2014-04-02-14.04.38.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Dog View Post
    The Don is my backyard, and it is still very very wet. Even some of the Don Valley paved trails still have snow on them, parts of the paved path in Taylor Creek had over 1m of snow still on it last weekend. I commute and train throughout the trail system and can report back when things are dry enough.

Few Days Ago:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-04-02 14.04.38.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	884111
    I rode part of Taylor Creek paved trail yesterday, coming in from the stairs leading off Taylor Dr and Cullen Bryant Park heading up to Eglinton. The bottom of the stairs still had snow, but the rest of the paved path was clear, just wet in some areas. That's said, anything not paved would still be a mud pit
    2013 Trek Superfly AL - 0km riden

mtbr member
    Just because ANY trail is clear of snow does not mean its rideable .
    Think people !!!!

Dog Slow
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    Think people !!!!
    That is why I am sticking to the paved paths. Over the last few weeks I have had to "instruct" multiple overly enthusiastic guys to keep out of the singletrack. There will already be more than enough work to do due to ice storm damage, so many branches down everywhere.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Think people !!!!
    Agreed, but I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. Well unless you're speaking to the paved trails, but in that case no snow does = rideable. Everything else is dependent on how wet it is (see: VERY). Hopefully this warm weather helps dry things up.
    2013 Trek Superfly AL - 0km riden

humber river advocate
    enough said

Don Valley-2cea24ef-f803-48b6-8580-a561d994e2c4-1039-000001bd383baf1c_zpsfc932ca2.jpg

most accurate trail conditions of the don is found in a thread called:

"Daily Trail conditions in the Don" (just google it). We will be in there on Saturday with COT and contractors inspecting sections...
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's been a long cold winter. Moisture below the soil, and colder sub-soil conditions are lasting longer. On top of that, the Don Valley clay often messes up early riding attempts. It's hard to wait, agreed, but it's better for the trail, your bike, and your level of satisfaction in riding the trail. If you think waiting for the Don to become ridable is painful, it's just as bad waiting for Durham Forest snow to melt and the trails there to become sensible.

I have been thinking that March/April may become a time of year when I plan mtb get-aways for stateside, but I'd have to research it to see how far south I'd have to go to get good riding conditions this time of year.

sock puppet
    Think people !!!!
    hmm, ok. let me think now.
    Signature

Maddog
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    It's been a long cold winter. Moisture below the soil, and colder sub-soil conditions are lasting longer. On top of that, the Don Valley clay often messes up early riding attempts. It's hard to wait, agreed, but it's better for the trail, your bike, and your level of satisfaction in riding the trail. If you think waiting for the Don to become ridable is painful, it's just as bad waiting for Durham Forest snow to melt and the trails there to become sensible.

I have been thinking that March/April may become a time of year when I plan mtb get-aways for stateside, but I'd have to research it to see how far south I'd have to go to get good riding conditions this time of year.
    It looks like you only have to go as far south as Turkey Point. (Tropics of Canada) Only ridden there once but they have great trails and its mostly sandy soil.

"Things are clearing up quicker than I had anticipated. Trails on the East Side should be mostly good to go for the weekend with a bit of snow cover still in the lower sections (spinal tap, saudwinder, etc). Keep away from the West Side though. " From Turkey Point FAQs thread yesterday

humber river advocate
    the ridge is pretty dry and so are the flats. we rode there saturday. respect trail closed signs please.

the meeting went well with cot/imba/torba

Don Valley-1610014_485750601553953_4276808984939680386_n.jpg
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thought I would bump this thread to see if there have been any updates. Are trails rideable yet? I will be down there first weekend of may and would love to get out on trails

Dog Slow
    I have talked to a lot of riders in the Don Valley and the consensus is that things are finally dry enough, I will have to find out for myself next week after P2A.