mtbr member
    Jun 2011

The Don: I loved it.

Drove down (2.5hours) yesterday for my first don ride I was very impressed. The conditions were great and its very grippy. Makes you feel like a good rider with all the flow and speed you can carry.

We started off behinde the loblaws and ended up in sunny brook park. Im sure there is tones more in the area that we missed. We even brough our lights and road into the night.

I would love to hit a few group rides next year.

cyberbully
    6 or 7 years ago, Ted Ingram told me that he counted over 100km of singletrack in there on his computer, going up to steeles on both forks (not all connected by parkland, but most is). Its pretty awesome to have that gem a 10 minute ride out of the downtown core. And its even more awesome that we have people like Ted that maintain the system.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yea kudos to thoses who build the features. Adds to the awsomness!

100km is a hug amount. We were getting tired after 20k. We did alot of the trails that go up and down the sides of the valley. Only went as far down as the pottery road entrance. I was sure there was more trails around that we missed.

humber river advocate
    yup the the don is a gem with a lot of hard working gnomes keeping it alive.
    bolton trail info
    bmbc1st @ yahoo.com
    support TORBA
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    The Don is an amazing trail, I must have hit it every other day a couple summers ago...too busy with work these days to do that

The only issue is that there reeeaaallyy needs to be something done about all the fvckers in those buildings who keep tossing their crap off the belcony into the trail
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

cyberbully
    We're working on it! I'm a director with TORBA and I've started to work on a partnership with the local high school science teacher whom I ran into along with his grade nine class collecting garbage last week. We're going to work together, and with the kid's help we can probably make more headway than in the past into changing attitudes of some of the people from thorncliffe that might litter both on purpose and by accident (some peeps, if i remember correctly: the infamous ravager of women and trail, Dan and the illustrious Rear Admiral, pre-TORBA tried tracking down the building managers and owners to get them to do something, to no avail).

I'll definitely post us here when that happens in the spring. The last clean up in there was in 2010 i believe, prior to Torba, a group of builders and riders used to clean up informally around earth day. UofT mtb club was involved as well for a few years (and maybe they still hold a clean up, I'm not too sure).

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkidVicious View Post
    (some peeps, if i remember correctly: the infamous ravager of women and trail, Dan and the illustrious Rear Admiral, pre-TORBA tried tracking down the building managers and owners to get them to do something, to no avail).
    Vince Vindaloo would have been one of those individuals as well.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I think I know the spot. I made a joke as to how clean the trail was, untilll i hit that part where the 2 buildings are close the to edge. It was very sad at how much garbage was on the hill.

That and the sewage plant wasnt exactly fun to ride near. Har riding up amd the hills when you dont want to breath

cyberbully
    Just to let everyone know, I got word that they are going to be out there again on the trail known as Party Atmosphere, beyond the Thorncliffe parking lot (where you exit after doing the trail from loblaws northwards, closest street address is 70 Thorncliffe park drive if you want to check it on google maps) this Sunday 12:30-2:00, if your riding stop for a bit and help, if you have no time, then just thank them for what they're doing. I'm going to try to get out for a ride and pitch in myself.

yes Vince Vindaloo would be another that was trying to track down the owners, among other awesome things that he's done for those trails. I remember on a clean up he organized, they pulled out an old safe, about a half dozen tires, and 20-30 full garbage bags.
    Last edited by SkidVicious; 11-29-2012 at 10:22 PM.

mtbr member
    I know it would never fly but what the owners of the buildings need to do, or the city, is point a sh*t load of cameras at the trail side faces of those buildings and then hand out nice fat littering tickets to any apartment that is captured tossing their filth into the trails! I honestly don't even enjoy riding that section of trail anymore, it's just plain depressing to see how little people care on a more positive note, I will definitely try to make it out to any planned clean ups if I'm near Toronto at the time.
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SkidVicious View Post
    6 or 7 years ago, Ted Ingram told me that he counted over 100km of singletrack in there on his computer, going up to steeles on both forks (not all connected by parkland, but most is).
    How do you pick up more trails past Sunnybrook? Into Glendon College? Underneath the Bayview bridge?. I'd love to do more exploring but at a bit of a loss where to start.