Thread: Dmba Agm

mtbr member

Dmba Agm

All details below, but you can also find them on the DMBA site at http://www.durhammountainbiking.ca/meetings.html

I hope to see many of you out to the meeting.

On Sunday January 6th, 2008, from 1pm until 4pm, at the community room upstairs at the Uxbridge Zehrs, the DMBA will be having its 2nd AGM. Please pass the word.

It is an election year and we need some help. Specifically someone to "run" the election (a chief returning officer). They would take down all the names of people running for the three positions, make sure they can equal time at the AGM to present their case, and record and count the votes. If any positions are by acclamation they would count the votes of the members to ratify the appointment. The only catch is you can't do this if you were intending on running for one of the executive positions.

Only members are entitled to vote. If you are not a current member in good standing make sure you bring $20 to join up. It goes to a good cause.

Three positions are open. If you want the full details let me know and I'll send them along.
    1) President:
    The official rep for the club. Act as the driving force behind the club, not necessarily by doing everything but by making sure that what the club does is consistent with the club's goals and objectives. Communicating with non-cycling organization such as land managers, other user groups, etc. Split financial duties with the VP Finance

2) VP Cycling:
    Official rep for the club (supported by the prez) to organizations in the cycling community. This would include the OCA, CCA, race promoters, other bike clubs, etc.

3) VP Finance:
    Do the books. Make sure that money is deposited in a timely fashion, that checks are cut and sent to anyone the club owes money to, etc. Bookkeeping at this point is fairly simple as we don't take in much money and don't make many payment. People with book keeping or accounting experience would be a good fit.

Jumping the gun a bit, I'm hoping that you'll elect me for my second term as prez. There are a few positions I'd like to see formalized. If you are interested in any of these let me know. For the committees it is really up to your imagination what happens, and how much or how little gets done. We're all very busy, but I'm hoping that some of you can spare even an hour or two a month on some of these things.

Speaker: you run DMBA meetings. This involves setting locations and times, keeping order, etc. It means that you'd have to be at each meeting, and that in general you wouldn't get to have you voice heard at the meeting since you'd be busy keeping order.

Permanent Committees:
    GM/WW Committee: liaise with (be a member of) the GM/WW stewardship committee, possibly even be on the executive committee.

Durham Forest Committee: liaise with (be a member of) the Durham Forest stewardship committee.

Trails Committee: plan, coordinate, and execute the club's trail construction efforts in any property we're involved with.

Communications Committee: assist the executive with reaching out to the cycling and non-cycling communities. This could be newsletters, web sites, advertising, op-ed articles, whatever you can dream up. The club has a message to get out there, you'd be the one helping to get it out there.

Membership Committee: we need members. You'd come up with ways to attract and retain members. Incentives for existing members. Lead and coordinate the annual renewal drive.

Ride Committee: all of us ride, some on a fairly regular schedule. You'd come up with ways to encourage existing groups to let "outside" riders join their ride, create opportunities for new riders to get out and ride with the club, etc. You don't have to lead every ride, or even be at every ride, just make it easy for people to ride more, and for people to let others know when the rides are.

Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day 2008: Yes we're doing it again. We know we can get the insurance, so we can start planning early. We already have a couple of volunteers for this committee, but we can always use a few more.

Temporary Committee:
    Night Riding Committee: The Night Riding issue is taking its next step. A decision will need to be made on what the DMBA plans to do about it. This committee will take this direction from the members and run with it.

Full Agenda:

Annual General Meeting of the DMBA
    Uxbridge Zehrs Community Room
    November 18, 2007, 1pm

Call to Order

Approval of agenda:

Report on 2007
    1. Financials
    2. Membership numbers
    3. Glen Major / Walker Woods
    4. Dagmar
    5. Durham Forest

Elections:
    President
    VP Finance
    VP Cycling

Appointments:
    Speaker
    Standing Committees:
    GM/WW Committee
    Durham Forest Committee
    Trails Committee
    Communications Committee
    Membership Committee
    Ride Committee
    Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day 2008
    Temporary Committee:
    Night Riding Committee

New Business:
    Night riding in GM/WW

Old Business:
    Incorporation

Announcements:

Selection of Next Council Date:

Adjournment:
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.

mtbr member

One good reason to come to the AGM

For those who are maybe coming to the AGM, or maybe not, here is an incentive to try to make it out.

Ever wanted to ride a 500-year-old Inca trail? Ride a centuries-old
    forgotten singletrack in the driest desert in the world?

Experience the next best thing this January as Mike Brcic, president and
    owner of Sacred Rides Mountain Bike Holidays takes you on a journey around
    the world by mountain bike, with spectacular photography from 4 of the
    world's top photographers in Chile, Peru and British Columbia.

You can find out more about Sacred Rides here: http://www.sacredrides.com.
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.