banned
    Feb 2005

Dirt Rag issue 143

Very nice Urban Ride Guide write-up by Jason Murray about the Don. 200km ... I need to revisit that place ..."All other trails are maintained by the underground building community." Your article has good Flow, well done, especially from a U of T Grad

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is that a typo or does the Don actually have 200km of trails? If so then I'm missing out bigtime...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider
    Is that a typo or does the Don actually have 200km of trails? If so then I'm missing out bigtime...
    No kidding! I'm sure I haven't ridden more than 20-25 km of trails in there... Then again, I've never joined a group ride in there, so maybe there's a lot more.

mtbr member
    I think 200 km is pushing it! It must be a typo. Maybe they are including the paved bike paths in that calculation. Although they may not be 200 km the trails are quite good considering that they are in a major city.
    www.mtbiking.ca
    Your Key To The Epic Ride!

sock puppet

yeah, 200km is quite a bit optimistic...

i'd say it is max 40km without paved paths... keep in mind that there are trails on both sides of the highway, although i rarely venture on the other side myself.

the don trail is a jewel, particularly because it is in the middle of the city, but that brings a slew of problems, including garbage disposal and some other not very legal activities... but nothing beats it when it comes for a quick ride, albeit physically and technically demanding...

more people got hurt in this place, from my riding group, than at all other venues combined... including myself...

although it is MY TRAIL, i'll gladly invite Phat to ride it at your convenience. as long as you pick up your empty gel bags and don't leave any signs behind...

Quote Originally Posted by ToneyRiver
    I think 200 km is pushing it! It must be a typo. Maybe they are including the paved bike paths in that calculation. Although they may not be 200 km the trails are quite good considering that they are in a major city.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Article here...

http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/arti...egory=features

Oso...you really like sticking your neck out there, don't you? Let sleeping dogs lie!

Happy Mojo Rider
    I think it's a great trail system that you have in the middle of the city, I always head up there 1-2 a week for a nice 6:00 Am ride when there is no one around that's the best time to ride the Don. Too bad about the needless dumping of garbage though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    the don trail is a jewel
    for sure, i think it has an awesome mix of flowy singletrack, technical bits, a few solid (albeit short) climbs and even some man-made stuff to break yourself on

i haven't found anything else as good as the Don within 30mins of the city so i head there once/twice a week on weekdays...there's been some recent work on the trails (maybe two weeks ago), big thanks to whoever was involved!

sock puppet

Dear Sir/Madam

I will accept your advice with cautious optimism. On a second thought, one can easily ride 200kms in the Don, up and then back, then up, then back, then up and back.... Therefore - the information in the article is accurate.

How is that for letting sleeping dogs lie?

Nonetheless, Phat is still welcome. As a matter of fact, I hear that he is quite a nice chap in person... I wouldn't mind hitting the trail with him, if we can coordinate timing...

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch
    Article here...

http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/arti...egory=features

Oso...you really like sticking your neck out there, don't you? Let sleeping dogs lie!
    Last edited by osokolo; 07-15-2009 at 09:53 AM.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Its an interesting article for sure. Curious why they changed it from the original picture to the jump one, but whatever.
    Stuff.

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Is the Don somewhere you can go without getting lost? Or should I really have somebody who knows the place show me around before going on my own? I've always wanted to try it but there isn't a good map around that I can find.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    Very nice Urban Ride Guide write-up by Jason Murray about the Don. 200km ... I need to revisit that place ..."All other trails are maintained by the underground building community." Your article has good Flow, well done, especially from a U of T Grad
    Just a wee bit of clarification needed. J Murray failed to be clear that the Ridge trail section that is in Crothers Woods., the area between Pottery Road Dirt Lot to the Millwood Bridge is the area that is the CofT and IMBA only build area. The rest is maintained by your friendly neighbourhood Don Rats trail workers.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    It's a nice article but also brings attention to an area that is already a hotspot.
    Sure, the small bit that has been worked on by IMBA & CoT is cute and all, but the best parts of the Don are still pretty much illegal trails that the city is aware of and concerned about on a liability level.

I can't believe how lucky we are to have this trail network in the heart of a major metropolitan city, I just wonder how long the city will let it happen and at what point it'll be be accepted or shut down entirely.

sock puppet

naah, you can not get lost in the Don...

just keep the hill on your left side going north and opposite going south... make yourself heard if you are going fast around blind corners... it is a two way path...

Quote Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy
    Is the Don somewhere you can go without getting lost? Or should I really have somebody who knows the place show me around before going on my own? I've always wanted to try it but there isn't a good map around that I can find.
    Signature

humber river advocate
    i think you are full off crap...

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    I will accept your advice with cautious optimism. On a second thought, one can easily ride 200kms in the Don, up and then back, then up, then back, then up and back.... Therefore - the information in the article is accurate.

How is that for letting sleeping dogs lie?

Nonetheless, Phat is still welcome. As a matter of fact, I hear that he is quite a nice chap in person... I wouldn't mind hitting the trail with him, if we can coordinate timing...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There's a map of Crother's Woods (the most-travelled part of the trail) at the trailheads and like osokolo said it's pretty straight forward, but I always find it helps to go with someone that knows the trail if it's your first time (more time riding, less time figuring out where you're going)...I'm in there twice a week usually and would be happy to show anyone around...I was actually in there this afternoon and filmed most of the ride (day 1 with the helmet cam) so I'll post a link to some clips when I've got them online...cheers!

sock puppet

you think?

therefore you live!

albeit pretty miserable life my dear friend. pull your head out of your gutter and start breathing with full lungs.

you have to realize that your silly attempts to insult me - don't work. you are insignificant person that is hiding your real identity for whatever reason. you don't come out to any of the major MTB events - be them serious or citizen in nature and that is fine. mountain biking is not just racing or riding at these events... you don't come out to help rebuild trails which you oh so emotionally enjoy, including those trails that you so hate on this forum...

no one can convince you to come out and exchange your views in person, but you should realize that if you are afraid to do that, your immature attempts to insult or jab someone on this board - work against you...

but again, in free world, no one can stop you from posting your mental diarrhea on this board... so come on... keep typing.....

Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    Signature

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    It's a nice article but also brings attention to an area that is already a hotspot.
    Sure, the small bit that has been worked on by IMBA & CoT is cute and all, but the best parts of the Don are still pretty much illegal trails that the city is aware of and concerned about on a liability level.

I can't believe how lucky we are to have this trail network in the heart of a major metropolitan city, I just wonder how long the city will let it happen and at what point it'll be be accepted or shut down entirely.
    That it does. The article is both good and bad in the attention it draws.

For me the big issue has to do with the fact that the writer primary focus is DMBA and the trails in that area. It would have been much more respectful to the locals if the writer was from TORBA or one of the any long time Don Valley MTB Advocates. It would have given the locals a voice and would have been presented much better.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

banned
    Feb 2005
    "friendly neighbourhood Don Rats trail workers"
    Thanks for all the work that has been put into this place. It would be nice to have the Rear Admiral back on this board, his posts were always informative and enjoyable to read.

banned
    Feb 2005
    osokolo
    "although it is MY TRAIL, i'll gladly invite Phat to ride it at your convenience. as long as you pick up your empty gel bags and don't leave any signs behind... "

Hi ossy thanks for the invite, but I do not need a guide, I like to get lost.
    I don't eat Gu...my wife does...I take care of her empty bag.
    The only sign I leave behind is Fat Tracks with no skids.
    How did you and Picard make out with your double date a few years back?
    I bet you two Playboys had a good ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The Don is awesome these days, really improved over the last couple years. I do a lot of trail running down there too, and I think its hard pressed to find better running trails in the area.

I like the publicity, cause if more new people go down there an enjoy them, they'll have a better chance of surviving, if more people are on board with keeping them! (there has been talk of constructing some 'light rail' through the area). If they get that much busier, the hardcore might have to go looking a little farther to find the goods, so thats a small price to pay for long term survival.

sock puppet

ah good, good...

too bad you don't like my company... you are starting to sound like singlesprocket...

Picard was a mistake. Despite popular belief, it never happened. No chemistry. I think.

Well, maybe I will see you in your backyard on our next marathon race... I promise I won't leave anything behind me. Just dust. And maybe you, if you show up for a race...

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    osokolo
    "although it is MY TRAIL, i'll gladly invite Phat to ride it at your convenience. as long as you pick up your empty gel bags and don't leave any signs behind... "

Hi ossy thanks for the invite, but I do not need a guide, I like to get lost.
    I don't eat Gu...my wife does...I take care of her empty bag.
    The only sign I leave behind is Fat Tracks with no skids.
    How did you and Picard make out with your double date a few years back?
    I bet you two Playboys had a good ride.
    Signature

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

No good Hypocrite

Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket

To quote you from another thread:

don't spread the hate...
    I think your motto should be:

"Do as I say, not as I do"

Why? Because you seem to have major issues w/ people that don't worship you.

Your artsy photog/enviro nazi/counter-culture comedian act has grown old real fast for me & probably a few others on here as well.

[end of rant]
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutzy
    The Don is awesome these days, really improved over the last couple years. I do a lot of trail running down there too, and I think its hard pressed to find better running trails in the area.

I like the publicity, cause if more new people go down there an enjoy them, they'll have a better chance of surviving, if more people are on board with keeping them! (there has been talk of constructing some 'light rail' through the area). If they get that much busier, the hardcore might have to go looking a little farther to find the goods, so thats a small price to pay for long term survival.
    The Ridge and the Flats have become the primary loop trails. On any weekend it is where the most traffic is now. Other then Catalyst and PA which are definite medium to difficult trails the rest is in the East Don which is very much less used and sees less traffic.

Though that may have to do with there being a hell of a lot of uphill work required to ride the East Don. Though one should be wary of riding STD if they are easily disturbed.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Slick Rick
    I used to ride from Bloor/Spadina to the Don 3 times a week, damn I miss that place.

I'd just take Dupont/Davenport to Belmont then down Rosedale Valley.