I already rode that

Did an order from Jenson the other day

So with our dollar looking pretty good maybe not as good as when it was 1.02 or so I ordered some stuff from Jenson and sure it enough after it was shipped I got it within 24hrs and didnt pay any other duties/taxes other then what Jenson added on which wasnt that much.

The only problem was UPS delivering to my door with the guy knocking on the door and driving away...without getting a signature. Not the best area to be leaving packages on the doorstep either.

Now if only the trails were dry enough to go riding with my new parts.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member
    My experience with JensonUSA was the same. I ordered Sportlegs from them. Arrived in 48 hours and I paid no PST or GST.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah, gotta love delivery guys...the UPS guy that delivered to our old house and would actually go around back and leave stuff on the deck so it wasn't sitting on the porch, which was nice. Having an order shipped Monday, so we'll see where they leave it. Hopefully I'll be home, so we'll see

Had Canada Post deliver my new fork a couple weeks ago, and I just happened to be home to recieve it. The Postie saw me lurking on the porch (was just going to get my daugher from school) and said that he would have left it on the porch for me if I wasn't home. Not sure if I would have been crazy about that, I'm sure one of the many kids that walk past every day would have taken interest in a nice pretty "FOX RACING SHOX" box.... we had a stroller stolen from our porch shortly after we moved in (welcome to the neighbourhood eh?) so don't know if I'd trust a package on the porch. I don't live in a bad area, but there is a lot of foot traffic that goes past my corner house. Sometimes I wonder if things would be a little too tempting on the front porch.

Tim

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    My experience with JensonUSA was the same. I ordered Sportlegs from them. Arrived in 48 hours and I paid no PST or GST.
    Is it just random to have to pay taxes? I order from Universal Cycle and sure enough I got dinged for taxes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    depending on who you order from, the taxes could be semeingly "random".

You usually don't pay taxes to any online stores that aren't based in Canada. The online stores leave it up to Customs to collect the taxes when your item enters the country. Thus the reason why sometimes you'll be charged, sometimes you won't. You might be lucky and have your package come thru and they won't look at the value, and thus charge you the required tax... and you might not be so lucky, and get charged the taxes. A buddy of mine and I each bought an identical item out of England a few years back, shipped the same day, and we're fairly close in distance to one another. He got dinged for tax, I didn't... so hence the seemingly arbitrary fashion of it.

Some stores (again, Jenson as an example) will charge you the tax before hand, so that the UPS driver doesn't need to collect it from you when he attempts to deliver it. Universal has a no tax policy on their webiste, but I've never done an order with them (as they can't seem to price match like Jenson can) so don't know how their tax charging works.

Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax
    Is it just random to have to pay taxes? I order from Universal Cycle and sure enough I got dinged for taxes.
    A lot bit of mis information here. Jenson charges you GST and PST upfront, but you are never responsible for anything at the door. There are never any surprises.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i ordered a bar and stem last night at 7 pm and had them today at 12:30

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Must be nice...I've been waiting on an order since Friday. Been waiting on some bits and bobs for wifey's bike... and of course had to pick myself up a couple of nice things too A couple of items were backordered, but supposed to come in today, so we'll see if it gets out tonight or not.

....the worst part is I've been checking the site once an hour since Noon to see if there is a status change on my order. Seven hours later... still nothing Just checked again...nothing still At least it won't take long in transit hehe...

Tim

mtbr member
    Broke my shifter on the way to work yesterday morning, so I ordered a new set from Jenson the same day, along with a few other things, in hopes that it would arrive today before the weekend. Sure enough, it just arrived....24 hours or less, door-to-door, you just can't beat that! Now I'll be able to ride this weekend, provided the weather cooperates.

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    I put an order in on Tuesday at 5pm, and the package was at my house before noon the next day. I can't even send something across town that fast, nevermind from California.

mtbr member
    Put in an order yesterday.. stuff came in today... goood

mtbr member
    Just to confirm .... their shipping charge is $25 to Canada ??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy
    Something like that. Once your order goes about $250/15lbs the shipping charges starts to increase slightly (to like $28.25 for example)

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy
    It seems steep, but its better than UPS shafting you for some stupid $50 brokerage fee in the end. I'd rather pay everything up front and not be surprised later on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626
    It seems steep, but its better than UPS shafting you for some stupid $50 brokerage fee in the end. I'd rather pay everything up front and not be surprised later on.
    I like how everything is in so there is no surprises and that is why I always order from Jenson if I can. It is not good if you want one item or a small order. I usually save up for a bunch of things and it makes it worth it to do it that way. I am probably placing an order on Monday. I need to buy lights for the 24 hour race i am doing in June - any suggestion on whether to use jenson for that or to go to another retailer.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by kaikara
    any suggestion on whether to use jenson for that or to go to another retailer.
    As long as Jenson has what you are looking for, I don't see why you should look elsewhere. If you find a better price, Jenson will probably match it.

Don't forget, that bicycle lights should be PST exempt. If you order from somewhere that ships via postal service, depending on how the package is labeled, you very well might get charged the PST.

So what's it gunna be? Trinewt, ARC, Enduro?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    As far as shipping costs at Jenson go...their base shipping rate is about $25 for even the lightest package to Canada, and then goes up from there depending on the weight/size of the package. I just ordered some stuff for my and the wife's bike (handlebar, stem, pedals, seat, tubes, grips, some tools) and it was just over $28. The nice thing is that price is for overnight shipping, which is a steal (if you price out what it normally SHOULD be, it is usually more than that). Most I was ever charged was about $55, but that was when I bought a wheelset last year...and other shops (like Universal) wanted to charge me $80 for the same thing, same shipping service. So yeah, Jenson's shipping is great.

Also, definatly make sure you price match. Any time I have tried to do a price match, Jenson has always granted me the price I was looking for, while other shops only get close to the price. Make sure you price check with www.spadout.com to make sure you're getting the lowest price online...great site to check prices (thanks to whomever shared that last year!)

Cheers mate!

Tim

Live Free or Ride!
    I've ordered from most online shops and taxes and customs seem to be random to me. There's been times when I've had to pay both, one, or none. Can't figure it out. And as far as them leaving it at my front door, whats up with that. I had a complete bike left on the front porch. Who's responsible for it if it gets stolen?
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    Get this. My buddy in England orders a fork and 2 tires ("tyres") and has them delivered for next to free. UK shipping is always next day for ANYTHING. 3 weeks later, nothing. So he calls to inquire and they say no problem and send another fork and tires and he has them the next day.

The day they second shippment arrives, his wife is cleaning the front garden and spots a paper with some writing on it. "nobody home for a delivery so I placed it on the other side of the back gate" (a gate which they never use). Sure enough, in the back / side yard behind the gate, there's the first fork and tires.

A quick call to let them know he now had a double order ............. "no worries, keep it".

Nice!
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

mtbr member

pricepoint is pertty damn good

I just got my order I placed two days ago!!!! And I only had to pay taxes on top of a flat rate of 25.98 for orders to canada( it was soo much it had to be shipped DHL tho ), got a x9 med cage der $60, 991 chain w/powerlink $28, havoc camelback for 68 hopefully this will prevent the cam from getting switched or anything, a full face for the gf, some camelback tabs, and sette impact arm and leg armour for the gf and I got roach FR leg armour. But my leg armour and I think my gf don't fit, so they'll be going bak or kijiji or maybe even the classifieds on here. But I was happy for an order around $400 I only had to pay a $7 dollar handling fee and $50 in taxes. I'm a happy camper with the exception of the leg armour, But i think that's a lesson learned, if you haven't tried it on or u know the size u wear don't bother ordering online. It's weird the sette s/m leg armour is almost the same size as my L roach armour. Lesson learned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just did an order too. One item said that it was going to take 8 days to get from the manufacturer. They got it in 3 and it shipped out and I got it the next day. Probably paid half as much for the stuff as it would have cost me here even after factoring in the shipping.

Person
    Sep 2005
    I placed my order yesterday around 3pm with Jensonusa, and it arrived today at 1:30.

Can't understand how they do it so fast, the local post office takes longer to send something across our small town.

Glad to get the stuff today, as it looks like it will be an indoor weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I ordered last Thursday & received my order on Tuesday (one item was backordered until Monday).

A little pricer for shipping but no surprises when UPS came to the door.