mtbr member
    Apr 2008

... and if we just ... Dewitt road Trail (Stoney Creek)

HI, did this today though I stopped short of the punchbowl. It was really dry except for a few muck spots.

Not a technical ride, but might be better than nothing right now.

Reward offered for the finding of my left lung.

X-Ray Guy
    where are the access points for that trail? ive never ridden it

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just before the tracks going up the mountain. On your right at a small white sign. You cannot miss it.

They have it reviewed here in the trail section Stoneycreeker someone called it.

NormalNorm
    Are you talking about the Bruce trail?

If you go to Felkers Falls(east side)and head down the escarpment. This will bring you out at Greenhill....at the soccer fields. Keep riding east to Dewitt.

I'm shocked its decent. Usually those trails are muddy till June. Great trails though....Better than the West Mt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks, once I find my lung, and my back recovers I will try it.

mtbr member
    I rode out to the Dewitt via Highland, First, then Ridge, then rode this trail back into Hamilton. (Nice with a SW wind on the road out)

The first 500 m from Dewitt heading back into Hamilton had a quite a few soft parts. I walked a fair bit (10%) just to avoid doing any trail damage. However after this point, it was gold, gold I tell you. I think there was only 1 other section where I got off and walked all the way back into the city (10 m at most).

This was my first time on this section of trail, and as Norm said, this is way better than the west mountain stuff. I was really shocked to find such nice riding, which I never new about.

Thanks to the two gents who I hooked up with 2/3 of the way back. I was finding my way without issue, but it was nice to just follow a guide back into the city. Found a few little nuggets of trail that I would have never even looked for!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice , how were the two dogs? I was not paying attention and just about hit the fence they were behind when they startled me...Nice house though

X-Ray Guy
    ok i tried mapquesting it and im still confused where these trails are....if im coming from the far west mountain...what is the access point im looking to enter? Say im starting from like upper james and stone church....am i better driving closer and riding in?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What I did was park on ridge road lots of shoulder room. Dewitt is only one way up the escarpment only.

Halfway down on your left, maybe 50 yards you will see the white sign and the trail.

I did a short trip just went in for an hour and came back the same way.

At the top of dewitt and ridge is some museum house with signs.

Use google map Erland Lee Home

X-Ray Guy
    ok turned on the satelite images on mapquest and now i see what you are talking about...i see all the forest around the side of dewitt near the tracks...i will venture out there after exams are done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by i_rock69
    Nice , how were the two dogs? I was not paying attention and just about hit the fence they were behind when they startled me...Nice house though

Dogs were furious. That was one of the later sections I walked because of wet trail. They were not happy I was there. To be quite honest, I wasn't all that comfortable walking that section as I figured one of those dogs was likely to jump that fence to catch a piece of me.

For those who haven't ridden this area, (like me), the main trial out to Dewitt begins just across the Red Hill Creek Expressway. If you google Mount Albion road (which is now closed), at the top of the hill on this road, there is trail that heads off towards the east (maybe 20 metres, on the left after the peak). If you follow this and keep along the escarpment, you'll have no problem following all the way to Dewitt road. There are a few areas where old access roads, train tracks and the trail intersect, but using with a little trail sense, it become obvious with houses on one side, a cliff on the other. For those familiar with the Kings Forest, if you are in this trail system (from the old Mud road parking lot), just keep to the east, eventually you will be able to head under Red Hill Creek Expressway, which will bring you to Mt Albion Road, which you can climb, then hit the trail on the left after the crest.

I think I will be riding out and a back Saturday morning (from East mountain, likely early before my wife has me doing yard work 8:00-9:00am?). Anyone interested in a couple hours of riding is welcome to PM me. Could be the best MTB in the region right now.

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    I think I will be riding out and a back Saturday morning (from East mountain, likely early before my wife has me doing yard work 8:00-9:00am?). Anyone interested in a couple hours of riding is welcome to PM me. Could be the best MTB in the region right now.

I cant do it saturday.....Paris to Ancaster sunday. I will take you up on the offer one day though.

IFWIW, if you go west of Dewitt, the trails are crap. Hike a bike at best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norm
    I cant do it saturday.....Paris to Ancaster sunday. I will take you up on the offer one day though.

IFWIW, if you go west of Dewitt, the trails are crap. Hike a bike at best.
    I spoke to a couple guys right at the entrance at Dewitt and said the same.

What, Saturday is over 24 hours from Paris to Ancaster, ever heard of a warm up? Actually I agreed to my yearly community race service and volunteered for the race. I'll be somewhere in the last 10 km, waiving you on. My red epic should be with me. Stop and chat for a while if you can! If not, I'll take it as a personal offense.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 04-17-2008 at 07:26 PM.