Nice day for a ride.....

December 1st ride

Been a few years since I've ridden regularly into December. Hoping to ride lots of this winter. Here's to late season riding and the few (er) of us that are crazy enough to brave the cold and dark while others keep the sofa warm!
    I met up with 5 other riders out there last night in my riding, although I rode alone. I forgot how spooky the trails can be at night by yourself.

December has never looked so good!

Sun setting over the tree tops

The moon makes itself known to the forest

My lights and camera are equally crummy in the dark.

Gnarly
    Very cool pics! We are planning a ride tomorrow (I can't wait!)
    Dusk is an interesting time. Your last pic reminds me how light and shadows dance around and distort.

Last night after work I almost ran over a coyote that ran accross the road. At first I thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me. Then I realized it was an animal running from a field, I got closer and I could identified it as a coyote I was just inches from hitting it.. must have been the size of a German Sheppard

mtbr member
    we are also planning to get aride in at mansfield tomorrow

Evil Jr.
    I'm 4 for 5 days this week (not counting that unfortunate roller incident on Tuesday night...) and it's just great getting out regularly again.

We're trail building tomorrow and Sunday, Mrs. Monster and I are hoping to play hot-potato with the boy so we can each get in rides of our own!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

bi-winning
    Today was a great day for a ride indeed. Mine looked something like this on a map:

Typical type of ride for late fall. Some Dundas Monstercross terrain, some waterfalls, a tough climb up Sydenham, and the decent down Weir's Lane always puts a smile on my face.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    Today was a great day for a ride indeed. Mine looked something like this on a map:
    That's almost exactly my ride from yesterday!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=RatchAttack;8789228]Been a few years since I've ridden regularly into December. Hoping to ride lots of this winter. Here's to late season riding and the few (er) of us that are crazy enough to brave the cold and dark while others keep the sofa warm!
    I met up with 5 other riders out there last night in my riding, although I rode alone. I forgot how spooky the trails can be at night by yourself.

December has never looked so good!

conditions looked great
    it looks loke we'll have snow on the ground on our ride in mansfield

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    That's almost exactly my ride from yesterday!
    Ah, then you might have enjoyed some of these sights along the way...

When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Muskoka

Dec 3rd

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Dec 3
    That must have been a nice ride. Snowy, but it could not have been that cold.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Muskoka
    That must have been a nice ride. Snowy, but it could not have been that cold.
    Yes, some sunshine would have made it perfect...only took a few pics. I just gotta have sunlight&shadows to be in a shootin' mood!! anywhere from a skiff to maybe 100~125mm of snow on the trails, just a nice amount for ungroomed trails to be able to nicely chugg along, still make the climbs, and blast down the hills
    BTW, some nice pics you posted above. your photography has improved of late IMO

Evil Jr.
    Ooh snow at Buckwallow!

No snow for us but it was PLENTY cold, thank you very much.

Hoar frost, lots of it!

Awesome crew out today (note coffee generously provided by Cafe Domestique ).

Like a boss.

Welcome to the second half of Black Loop 1. This is the beginning of what will become a long complex of berms interspersed by tabletops. Things are getting serious now that *most* of the Beginner nitty-gritty is out of the way.

This not a mushroom.

bi-winning
    BTW, some nice pics you posted above. your photography has improved of late IMO
    Thanks.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Ooh snow at Buckwallow!

No snow for us but it was PLENTY cold, thank you very much.
    Nice work & pics!
    We got hammered with ~60 cm snow in ~24 hrs here in G-spot a couple of weeks ago, but that all melted!

bi-winning
    Nice work & pics!
    ...got hammered...in [the] G-spot.
    Have not heard that one before.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Ah, then you might have enjoyed some of these sights along the way...
    nice pics
    my wife recently picked up a book on waterfalls in ontario at MEC.
    interesting how many nice ones are down that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    nice pics
    And you can link most of them up through ridable trail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

( through experience or knowing the right people)

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    nice pics
    Lots of good info HERE if you are ever interested in spending a day waterfalling in Hamilton. It's easy to link up 5 - 10+ of them in a day's hike or MTB ride.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Lots of good info HERE if you are ever interested in spending a day waterfalling in Hamilton. It's easy to link up 5 - 10+ of them in a day's hike or MTB ride.
    waterfall capital of the world
    i did not know

awesome, definitly will have to plan either a hike or a ride to take this in
    thanks for the information

mtbr member
    A mucky Red Hill Valley ride this morning, Bruce Trail was mostly dry with slippery rocks and roots.Clay sections were basically unrideable, whether going up or down. Kinda forgot how long some of these areas take to dry out and kinda forgot what a wet week it was. A character builder for sure!
    We started @ 7:00 am, was still dark, but managed to get a good ride in before the rain started around 9:30 - only got a little wet, helped wash some of the mud off!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by langford View Post
    Kinda forgot how long some of these areas take to dry out and kinda forgot what a wet week it was.
    Yeah, Friday and Saturday were nice days, so you are stuck in the habit of thinking that Sunday morning the trails would be in good shape. But, without the summer heat, the trails just don't dry very quickly.

Everything in Iroquois Heights was very slimy yesterday. I don't think I'll be doing those trails until they freeze.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Evil Jr.
    Given the forecast, we made a change of plans for today. Got back out to Christie Lake to do some flagging in the pouring rain. We were unexpectedly greeted by two super-eager guys in a pick-up truck. "Are you the trail guys? We're here to build!" Huh?

We were soon joined by a third surprise keener and off we went into the woods for an impromptu Trail School session. They were surprisingly quick learners so we let them loose with a Pulaski and a McLeod and told them we'd be back in a couple hours.

One thing led to another and I was up to my armpits in brambles when they came back to find us.

"We have to split but would you mind coming to take a look at what we've done so far?"
    They were clearly quite proud of themselves - if they were puppies, their tails would have been wagging furiously.

What we found when we got back to where we'd left them was textbook bench-cut single track. And probably over 100 m of it!

"See you guys Saturday!!!" they said as they waved godbye on their way back to the trailhead. Amazing.

The rain's still coming down so we spent the next part of this miserable day shopping for Theo's first Xmas tree - 5' of beautiful balsam. Sweet!