Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Cyclocross Events

New to the world of cyclocross and looking to do couple of races this fall. Looking for races for a beginner. New to cyclocross racing but have mtb raced a lot. Thinking of Guelph cross Sept 25, Durham Cross Oct 9 or Toronto Cross Oct 15. I am at centurion the weekend of Firemans/more cowbell.Those races sound like fun. Also what category would I entered. age 36. Master 3 mens or is there a beginner cat at these races?
    thanks
    Eric

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Those all sound like good choices. Hillbilly Hustle is always a good time too.
    Master 3 is definitely the right category for you. Even though there's a category called "Beginner", it actually means under 30 and not elite. Those guys can still be stinkin' fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Same kinda question. I'm 45 with a tiny bit of roadrace expierience and no MTB race expierience. The race I'm looking at has 35+45+and single speed in one race and in another Cat 4. Which is more beginner? Thanks.

Josh

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxx View Post
    Same kinda question. I'm 45 with a tiny bit of roadrace expierience and no MTB race expierience. The race I'm looking at has 35+45+and single speed in one race and in another Cat 4. Which is more beginner? Thanks.

Josh
    Probably Cat 4, but Canada has a totally different system, so you'd be best asking this question in the new Cyclocross forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Will do. This thread came up in the search and mtbr must have searched outside the forum I was in at the time. Thanks for the response.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxx View Post

Josh
    You'll be well suited to start out in Master 3. The only reason to race the "Beginner Men" category (which is more explicitly labelled Senior 3/4) is if you are under 35, or over 35 but have aspirations of racing Senior Elite as you improve, rather than moving up through the Masters ranks (Master 3 --> Master 2 --> Master 1). Even if the latter is in your mind, if you very quickly progress to Master 1 and still want that bit of extra competition, moving from Master 1 --> Senior 1/2 is only a phone call to the OCA away, though I think you have to pick one for the season.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Probably Cat 4, but Canada has a totally different system, so you'd be best asking this question in the new Cyclocross forum.
    The category system varies so much from region to region that here in the EC forum is probably a good place to ask. Elsewhere he might get 5 answers that only confuse the matter (unfortunately).

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by neuf View Post
    New to the world of cyclocross and looking to do couple of races this fall. Looking for races for a beginner. New to cyclocross racing but have mtb raced a lot. Thinking of Guelph cross Sept 25, Durham Cross Oct 9 or Toronto Cross Oct 15. I am at centurion the weekend of Firemans/more cowbell.Those races sound like fun. Also what category would I entered. age 36. Master 3 mens or is there a beginner cat at these races?
    thanks
    Eric
    All those races are a lot of fun and the only thing that separates them is the size of the fields. The closer the races are to downtown Toronto, the bigger the field gets. So, if you're looking to start off with a small event, pick one out of town. Toronto Cross can get quite large but even then the starts there are only about as big as a typical MTB O-Cup.

Welcome to 'cross!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Okay, I'll ask here before going to the OCA.

I'm in that magical and confusing age of 30-35.

I am formally a master on my UCI license and when provincials and nationals roll around, if I were to participate, I would race Master A.

However in non championship events, I'm assuming that CX is just like Road and I would race S4? Or in this case beginner. I don't start in M3 right?

I almost would prefer to start in M3, it seems like a better progression through the ranks and better competition. It seems like there are going to be a couple ridiculously fast people racing beginner, looking to move up. If eventually I end up moving up, wham, Elite-1,2,3 and likely thrown in with people that are competing for national titles.

All my faucets is Moen.
    EDIT: I'm an idiot.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Okay, I'll ask here before going to the OCA.

I am formally a master on my UCI license and when provincials and nationals roll around, if I were to participate, I would race Master A.

However in non championship events, I'm assuming that CX is just like Road and I would race S4? Or in this case beginner. I don't start in M3 right?

I almost would prefer to start in M3, it seems like a better progression through the ranks and better competition. It seems like there are going to be a couple ridiculously fast people racing beginner, looking to move up. If eventually I end up moving up, wham, Elite-1,2,3 and likely thrown in with people that are competing for national titles.
    Hey Jeff, you are correct that you're too young for M3. You'll race Master A for Provincials and Nationals, but locally you are a Senior rider so you do "Beginner Men" (aka Senior 3/4).

I agree that M2 is a much better progression from the entry level. The jump from winning Beginner Men by a healthy margin to off the back of Senior 1/2/3 is a tough one. It took me a season after making the switch to not get lapped, and another to get up to mid-pack Elite.

Since you don't have a choice, start with Beginner Men and see how it goes. If you're winning early and often, you'll have to deal with that issue unfortunately (and not unlikely). If not, maybe you'll be old enough for M2 by the time it's a problem.

Evil Jr.
    Since this year I'm feeling both slow and cheap, I'm going to drop down to M3, which I can do with my Citizen's Permit.

It may interest readers to know that the application for the CX-only UCI license is up now at the OCA site. You'll need one of those to race Nationals (not likely for me with the baby due any day now).
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    Hey Jeff, you are correct that you're too young for M3. You'll race Master A for Provincials and Nationals, but locally you are a Senior rider so you do "Beginner Men" (aka Senior 3/4).

I agree that M2 is a much better progression from the entry level. The jump from winning Beginner Men by a healthy margin to off the back of Senior 1/2/3 is a tough one. It took me a season after making the switch to not get lapped, and another to get up to mid-pack Elite.

Since you don't have a choice, start with Beginner Men and see how it goes. If you're winning early and often, you'll have to deal with that issue unfortunately (and not unlikely). If not, maybe you'll be old enough for M2 by the time it's a problem.
    Thanks Jeff for confirming. I was half asking, half ranting a little.

I'm signed up for my first CX race. Kinda excited.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for responses guys. Is there no Kelso cross this year? I saw old youtube video on it. Looked good. Also for the categories it lists mininium time of 40 minutes. Do they just estimate how laps can be done in that time and tell you at the start or does number of laps change as race goes on. Looking forward to testing out newly built bike.
    Eric

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by neuf View Post
    Thanks for responses guys. Is there no Kelso cross this year? I saw old youtube video on it. Looked good. Also for the categories it lists mininium time of 40 minutes. Do they just estimate how laps can be done in that time and tell you at the start or does number of laps change as race goes on. Looking forward to testing out newly built bike.
    Eric
    Last year, Provincials (and the revenge) was at Kelso so it wasn't called "Kelso". Not sure about this year. For whatever reason, it seemed to suit me great last year since it was my best result by far!

They usually give you a best guess of how many laps you'll have to do at the start. After that, they start a lap chart at the start/finish line to tell you how many laps you have left (things slow down a LOT if it rains or snows...). When you're on your last lap (the "bell" lap), they ring a big bell to let you know this is your last time 'round.

veldrijder
    No kelso races this year, as SRCC got sick of dealing with the land owners and chose to focus their organizational efforts on the Guelph cross alone.

As for the duration, gm has it correct. Laatste Ronde!

veldrijder
    And since this has turned into the annual EC cyclocross thread, it seems, how about an annoying video:

TatYana Storm - Superprestige lied "De Cross Gaat Door" - YouTube

bi-winning
    Thanks Jeff for confirming. I was half asking, half ranting a little.

I'm signed up for my first CX race. Kinda excited.
    The few times I've raced 'cross, I've felt very comfortable in the Beginner Men category. FWIW, YMMV, etc.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Evil Jr.
    Just registered for Cowbell! Very excited CX season is finally here!

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Just registered for Cowbell! Very excited CX season is finally here!
    Why not make it a weekend and race both days?

I've got some great features planned for the course, and the coffee should be the best stuff to be served at a race all season.

Evil Jr.
    Why not make it a weekend and race both days?

I've got some great features planned for the course, and the coffee should be the best stuff to be served at a race all season.
    I really wanted to do both days (and probably will most the rest of the fall) but I have a trail build day on Saturday.

If it rains, I might still be in for the race...

veldrijder
    We'll get by without you if we really have to

Building trails is a legitimate excuse anyway. I don't think we're expecting much rain but you never know!

All my faucets is Moen.

From the CX Communique
    Quote Originally Posted by OCA
    The upcoming cyclocross season is the 2012 season (due to the UCI World Championships being held in January 2012). This means that your racing age will be your age as of December 31, 2012, which will be one year older than the racing age you had during the road and MTB seasons. To determine your racing age subtract your birth year from 2012.
    Which means the CX UCI license on the OCA website is incorrect since it states 2011.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    From the CX Communique

Which means the CX UCI license on the OCA website is incorrect since it states 2011.
    That same ruling was the reason why I raced my first race as a 40 year-old LAST fall. (I don't even turn 40 until November).

mtbr member
    And since this has turned into the annual EC cyclocross thread, it seems, how about an annoying video:

TatYana Storm - Superprestige lied "De Cross Gaat Door" - YouTube
    FYI: If you write:

PHP Code:
    [youtube]w-w3weAWxF0[/youtube
    You get the video embeddd in your message:

Note that you put just the youtube videoís id. Itís easy to extract from an url such as:

PHP Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-w3weAWxF0 

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast