Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 157
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    50

    Cyclocross Events

    New to the world of cyclocross and looking to do couple of races this fall. Looking for races for a beginner. New to cyclocross racing but have mtb raced a lot. Thinking of Guelph cross Sept 25, Durham Cross Oct 9 or Toronto Cross Oct 15. I am at centurion the weekend of Firemans/more cowbell.Those races sound like fun. Also what category would I entered. age 36. Master 3 mens or is there a beginner cat at these races?
    thanks
    Eric

  2. #2
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,812
    Those all sound like good choices. Hillbilly Hustle is always a good time too.
    Master 3 is definitely the right category for you. Even though there's a category called "Beginner", it actually means under 30 and not elite. Those guys can still be stinkin' fast.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    54
    Same kinda question. I'm 45 with a tiny bit of roadrace expierience and no MTB race expierience. The race I'm looking at has 35+45+and single speed in one race and in another Cat 4. Which is more beginner? Thanks.

    Josh

  4. #4
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxx View Post
    Same kinda question. I'm 45 with a tiny bit of roadrace expierience and no MTB race expierience. The race I'm looking at has 35+45+and single speed in one race and in another Cat 4. Which is more beginner? Thanks.

    Josh
    Probably Cat 4, but Canada has a totally different system, so you'd be best asking this question in the new Cyclocross forum.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    54
    Will do. This thread came up in the search and mtbr must have searched outside the forum I was in at the time. Thanks for the response.

  6. #6
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxx View Post
    Same kinda question. I'm 45 with a tiny bit of roadrace expierience and no MTB race expierience. The race I'm looking at has 35+45+and single speed in one race and in another Cat 4. Which is more beginner? Thanks.

    Josh
    You'll be well suited to start out in Master 3. The only reason to race the "Beginner Men" category (which is more explicitly labelled Senior 3/4) is if you are under 35, or over 35 but have aspirations of racing Senior Elite as you improve, rather than moving up through the Masters ranks (Master 3 --> Master 2 --> Master 1). Even if the latter is in your mind, if you very quickly progress to Master 1 and still want that bit of extra competition, moving from Master 1 --> Senior 1/2 is only a phone call to the OCA away, though I think you have to pick one for the season.

  7. #7
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Probably Cat 4, but Canada has a totally different system, so you'd be best asking this question in the new Cyclocross forum.
    The category system varies so much from region to region that here in the EC forum is probably a good place to ask. Elsewhere he might get 5 answers that only confuse the matter (unfortunately).

  8. #8
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by neuf View Post
    New to the world of cyclocross and looking to do couple of races this fall. Looking for races for a beginner. New to cyclocross racing but have mtb raced a lot. Thinking of Guelph cross Sept 25, Durham Cross Oct 9 or Toronto Cross Oct 15. I am at centurion the weekend of Firemans/more cowbell.Those races sound like fun. Also what category would I entered. age 36. Master 3 mens or is there a beginner cat at these races?
    thanks
    Eric
    All those races are a lot of fun and the only thing that separates them is the size of the fields. The closer the races are to downtown Toronto, the bigger the field gets. So, if you're looking to start off with a small event, pick one out of town. Toronto Cross can get quite large but even then the starts there are only about as big as a typical MTB O-Cup.

    Welcome to 'cross!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CptSydor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,676
    Okay, I'll ask here before going to the OCA.

    I'm in that magical and confusing age of 30-35.

    I am formally a master on my UCI license and when provincials and nationals roll around, if I were to participate, I would race Master A.

    However in non championship events, I'm assuming that CX is just like Road and I would race S4? Or in this case beginner. I don't start in M3 right?

    I almost would prefer to start in M3, it seems like a better progression through the ranks and better competition. It seems like there are going to be a couple ridiculously fast people racing beginner, looking to move up. If eventually I end up moving up, wham, Elite-1,2,3 and likely thrown in with people that are competing for national titles.

  10. #10
    All my faucets is Moen.
    Reputation: thedumbopinion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,293
    EDIT: I'm an idiot.

  11. #11
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Okay, I'll ask here before going to the OCA.

    I'm in that magical and confusing age of 30-35.

    I am formally a master on my UCI license and when provincials and nationals roll around, if I were to participate, I would race Master A.

    However in non championship events, I'm assuming that CX is just like Road and I would race S4? Or in this case beginner. I don't start in M3 right?

    I almost would prefer to start in M3, it seems like a better progression through the ranks and better competition. It seems like there are going to be a couple ridiculously fast people racing beginner, looking to move up. If eventually I end up moving up, wham, Elite-1,2,3 and likely thrown in with people that are competing for national titles.
    Hey Jeff, you are correct that you're too young for M3. You'll race Master A for Provincials and Nationals, but locally you are a Senior rider so you do "Beginner Men" (aka Senior 3/4).

    I agree that M2 is a much better progression from the entry level. The jump from winning Beginner Men by a healthy margin to off the back of Senior 1/2/3 is a tough one. It took me a season after making the switch to not get lapped, and another to get up to mid-pack Elite.

    Since you don't have a choice, start with Beginner Men and see how it goes. If you're winning early and often, you'll have to deal with that issue unfortunately (and not unlikely). If not, maybe you'll be old enough for M2 by the time it's a problem.

  12. #12
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Since this year I'm feeling both slow and cheap, I'm going to drop down to M3, which I can do with my Citizen's Permit.

    It may interest readers to know that the application for the CX-only UCI license is up now at the OCA site. You'll need one of those to race Nationals (not likely for me with the baby due any day now).
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CptSydor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,676
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    Hey Jeff, you are correct that you're too young for M3. You'll race Master A for Provincials and Nationals, but locally you are a Senior rider so you do "Beginner Men" (aka Senior 3/4).

    I agree that M2 is a much better progression from the entry level. The jump from winning Beginner Men by a healthy margin to off the back of Senior 1/2/3 is a tough one. It took me a season after making the switch to not get lapped, and another to get up to mid-pack Elite.

    Since you don't have a choice, start with Beginner Men and see how it goes. If you're winning early and often, you'll have to deal with that issue unfortunately (and not unlikely). If not, maybe you'll be old enough for M2 by the time it's a problem.
    Thanks Jeff for confirming. I was half asking, half ranting a little.

    I'm signed up for my first CX race. Kinda excited.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    50
    Thanks for responses guys. Is there no Kelso cross this year? I saw old youtube video on it. Looked good. Also for the categories it lists mininium time of 40 minutes. Do they just estimate how laps can be done in that time and tell you at the start or does number of laps change as race goes on. Looking forward to testing out newly built bike.
    Eric

  15. #15
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by neuf View Post
    Thanks for responses guys. Is there no Kelso cross this year? I saw old youtube video on it. Looked good. Also for the categories it lists mininium time of 40 minutes. Do they just estimate how laps can be done in that time and tell you at the start or does number of laps change as race goes on. Looking forward to testing out newly built bike.
    Eric
    Last year, Provincials (and the revenge) was at Kelso so it wasn't called "Kelso". Not sure about this year. For whatever reason, it seemed to suit me great last year since it was my best result by far!

    They usually give you a best guess of how many laps you'll have to do at the start. After that, they start a lap chart at the start/finish line to tell you how many laps you have left (things slow down a LOT if it rains or snows...). When you're on your last lap (the "bell" lap), they ring a big bell to let you know this is your last time 'round.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  16. #16
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    No kelso races this year, as SRCC got sick of dealing with the land owners and chose to focus their organizational efforts on the Guelph cross alone.

    As for the duration, gm has it correct. Laatste Ronde!

  17. #17
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    And since this has turned into the annual EC cyclocross thread, it seems, how about an annoying video:

    TatYana Storm - Superprestige lied "De Cross Gaat Door" - YouTube

  18. #18
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,121
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Thanks Jeff for confirming. I was half asking, half ranting a little.

    I'm signed up for my first CX race. Kinda excited.
    The few times I've raced 'cross, I've felt very comfortable in the Beginner Men category. FWIW, YMMV, etc.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  19. #19
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Just registered for Cowbell! Very excited CX season is finally here!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  20. #20
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Just registered for Cowbell! Very excited CX season is finally here!
    Why not make it a weekend and race both days?

    I've got some great features planned for the course, and the coffee should be the best stuff to be served at a race all season.

  21. #21
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    Why not make it a weekend and race both days?

    I've got some great features planned for the course, and the coffee should be the best stuff to be served at a race all season.
    I really wanted to do both days (and probably will most the rest of the fall) but I have a trail build day on Saturday.

    If it rains, I might still be in for the race...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  22. #22
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    We'll get by without you if we really have to

    Building trails is a legitimate excuse anyway. I don't think we're expecting much rain but you never know!

  23. #23
    All my faucets is Moen.
    Reputation: thedumbopinion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    I'm in that magical and confusing age of 30-35.

    From the CX Communique
    Quote Originally Posted by OCA
    The upcoming cyclocross season is the 2012 season (due to the UCI World Championships being held in January 2012). This means that your racing age will be your age as of December 31, 2012, which will be one year older than the racing age you had during the road and MTB seasons. To determine your racing age subtract your birth year from 2012.
    Which means the CX UCI license on the OCA website is incorrect since it states 2011.

  24. #24
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    From the CX Communique

    Which means the CX UCI license on the OCA website is incorrect since it states 2011.
    That same ruling was the reason why I raced my first race as a 40 year-old LAST fall. (I don't even turn 40 until November).
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: raganwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    And since this has turned into the annual EC cyclocross thread, it seems, how about an annoying video:

    TatYana Storm - Superprestige lied "De Cross Gaat Door" - YouTube
    FYI: If you write:

    PHP Code:
    [youtube]w-w3weAWxF0[/youtube
    You get the video embeddd in your message:



    Note that you put just the youtube videoís id. Itís easy to extract from an url such as:

    PHP Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-w3weAWxF0 

  26. #26
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    In for Guelph!

    I just found out that my 4-man team for the Fall 8 might have injured itself down to a 3-man so I'm might be a little more pooched for this one than I'd intended!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  27. #27
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    I'm told the Guelph course this year has much less "going up the hill" and more "on the side of the hill" with a focus on a faster course. As far as I'm concerned that is awesome news. I am looking forward to it

  28. #28
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Oh that could be fun, maybe like Christie Pits last year!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    265
    Hitting up my first cross race with my new cross bike this Sunday for Guelph!

    Are you able to preride the course the morning of?

  30. #30
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    First race (my race) is at 10. I usually aim to get there around 8:30 or so and do a quick casual lap just to learn the course, plan my lines and figure out the barriers. Then I register and do two more laps, each successively faster to warm up. I'll session anything that's giving me grief.

    You can also ride the course in the gaps between races.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  31. #31
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda View Post
    Hitting up my first cross race with my new cross bike this Sunday for Guelph!

    Are you able to preride the course the morning of?
    New bike? How exciting!

    You can ride the course between races. If you really want some time on the course, show up before the first race of the day (10am?). Otherwise you'll have time for only a lap or two before your race.

  32. #32
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda View Post
    Hitting up my first cross race with my new cross bike this Sunday for Guelph!

    Are you able to preride the course the morning of?
    Have fun.

    Do the Brick workouts count as a advantage?

  33. #33
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Barriers.......You are doing it wrong.

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bEGAIYKTZ9w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by Enduramil; 09-20-2011 at 12:11 PM.

  34. #34
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Holy *****!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  35. #35
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Barriers.......You are doing it wrong.
    Nice attention to detail in the rider's technique.

  36. #36
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Nice attention to detail in the rider's technique.
    Last time I saw someone take a launcher like that was 98.

  37. #37
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Last time I saw someone take a launcher like that was 98.
    Bye bye V10!

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dlLubsKEGv0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  38. #38
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Last time I saw someone take a launcher like that was 98.
    Yep, heavy barrier contact usually seems to result in a more pronounced and immediate downward trajectory, as opposed to the impressive arc and hang time on display here. Nice find.

  39. #39
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,150
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Bye bye V10!
    The time taken to retrieve his bike and re-enter back on to the course at the same point under the tape that his bike went through, probably explains why Bryceland - normally a very competitive rider in the field - came through 91st out of 92 total finishers over 4 minutes down!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Barriers.......You are doing it wrong.
    I can't say I've seen that before. Heck, I've yet to see someone trip and fall on a barrier in my years of watching the cyclocross races at Centennial Park. I've seen people get hung up and that's about it, the only carnage I've seen was in the sand pits.

  41. #41
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    I can't say I've seen that before. Heck, I've yet to see someone trip and fall on a barrier in my years of watching the cyclocross races at Centennial Park. I've seen people get hung up and that's about it, the only carnage I've seen was in the sand pits.
    Oh gosh, last year at Nationals, Kyle Douglas tripped over the first barrier and slammed the second one head-first. He CRAWLED under the tape and a spectator had to roll his bike away. Ouchie!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  42. #42
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Bye bye V10!

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dlLubsKEGv0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Was actually thinking of the Hermminator,

    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5OaM6m7SKOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

  43. #43
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,150
    I can't quite tell from the full speed vid, but the bike is barely off the ground, still kind of bouncing along, as he reaches the barrier. It seem like he never really got the grip he wanted on the frame (hand is already up in the air before he hits the barrier) and was left only with a one-handed grip on the bars instead. That's just not going to get the job done.

    Then his single handed grip on the bars is actually what launched him upward, as the front wheel of the bike effectively became a fixed point of rotation against the barrier for a split second (with the back end of the bike continuing to rotate up and over). Who the heck am I kidding though. I'm not an engineer, and don't play one on TV.

  44. #44
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Was actually thinking of the Hermminator
    Isn't the Herminnator DH skiing's equivalent of Nuck Chorris? e.g. The Herminnator doesn't hit barriers, he just wants to show you how easily he can bust through them???

  45. #45
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    he just wants to show you how easily he can bust through
    them???


    ...




    OH YEAH!

  46. #46
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,150
    So, you're trying to say that Herrman Maier was the guy inside the big Koolaid suit? I'm sorry, but I just don't think that's correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post


    OH YEAH!

  47. #47
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    So, you're trying to say that Herrman Maier was the guy inside the big Koolaid suit? I'm sorry, but I just don't think that's correct.
    Colours match... There are lots of impersonators(besides joey) though.


  48. #48
    Over the bars...
    Reputation: egggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    483
    After demoing a brand new 2012 Rocky Mountain Solo CXR at Hydrocut today my urge to get into CX just grows!!! I was amazed how well it rode in even technical sections.

  49. #49
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,121
    Quote Originally Posted by egggman View Post
    After demoing a brand new 2012 Rocky Mountain Solo CXR at Hydrocut today my urge to get into CX just grows!!! I was amazed how well it rode in even technical sections.
    I like my '07 Rocky Solo CX.

    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  50. #50
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Looking forward to seeing the new CX frames with disc brakes.

  51. #51
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    In for Guelph!
    Thanks for the cheers from yourself, nerdgirl and others on the hill. They were much appreciated and provided some good motivation. Between that crowd and updates on position I was getting elsewhere on course I had a pretty good idea where I was.

  52. #52
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,150
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the new CX frames with disc brakes.
    I'm looking forward to seeing new gruppos from Shimano and SRAM with hydraulic brifters to put on my existing CX frame and fork that already have disc tabs.

  53. #53
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    Thanks for the cheers from yourself, nerdgirl and others on the hill. They were much appreciated and provided some good motivation. Between that crowd and updates on position I was getting elsewhere on course I had a pretty good idea where I was.
    It was a great day on a fantastic course. I really enjoyed the long technical section. I found it both physically and mentally challenging and the layout was one of the best yet for spectating!

    Personally, I had a great race. For the last lap and a half, I had a five-man pace line chasing me down and I had to work my butt off to stay away. Nearly tripped on my last time over the first barrier and threw it all away but thanks to some great cheering, I was able to collect myself and hold on for the "win".

    Best race of the day was Amanda Sin's absolute dismantling of the Men's M2 field. She's on great form right now!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CRTV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12
    Guelph Cross was a blast - short video report coming soon!

  55. #55
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    In for the Hustle!

    Monstercross on Saturday will make a great warm-up!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  56. #56
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,812
    I wonder if this is code for: "The city gouged us"?
    The Canadian Cyclo-cross National Championships will not return to Earl Bayles Park in Toronto this year, after the space became unavailable. The event - still on November 5th by organizer ZM Cycle - has been moved to Pine Point Park in the Toronto suburb of Etobicoke. The location is just north of Highway 401 and east of Islington Avenue.

  57. #57
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    I wonder if this is code for: "The city gouged us"?
    Locals probably didn't like the way last year's course grooved "ZM" into the grass on the far hill.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  58. #58
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Long live Z&M!

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,087
    Sweet, I get another CX event in my area to spectate!

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Race_Bannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    I wonder if this is code for: "The city gouged us"?
    The CSAJ race will unlikely be at Riverdale as well. With the new administration comes new park managers. Seems bike events are no longer welcome in the Cities parks.
    If ya can't fix it with a hammer and vice-grips...it don't need fixin!

  61. #61
    All my faucets is Moen.
    Reputation: thedumbopinion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Race_Bannon View Post
    The CSAJ race will unlikely be at Riverdale as well. With the new administration comes new park managers. Seems bike events are no longer welcome in the Cities parks.
    But the mayor included a bike in this photo. Good times.


  62. #62
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    But the mayor included a bike in this photo. Good times.

    Hahahaha... is that a big gulp in his hand?! look at the size of that straw, it must be



    Just in case you were starting to pity him

  63. #63
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Race_Bannon View Post
    The CSAJ race will unlikely be at Riverdale as well. With the new administration comes new park managers. Seems bike events are no longer welcome in the Cities parks.
    When I talked to my city contact.. Councillor Holiday is losing his battle against the BMX track.

  64. #64
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Just back from the Hustle. My race was perfectly awesome if a tad on the cold and blustery side. Tried for another sprint finish but the other guy just had better legs.

    Unfortunately for the racers (but, fortunately for the spectators, ), the skies opened up and drenched the Elite/M1 field. I was looking so forward to a Stafford/Glassford battle for the win but it never materialized with Peter killing a chain and Jared rolling a tire and succumbing to the cold.

    In the end, Mr. Chown walked away with top honours and the dinner jacket. Wow!

    Despite the conflict with Tour de King, it was the biggest Hustle yet. I'd say things are looking good for CX in Ontario, the CoT not withstanding!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  65. #65
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,121
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Unfortunately for the racers (but, fortunately for the spectators, ), the skies opened up and drenched the Elite/M1 field. I was looking so forward to a Stafford/Glassford battle for the win but it never materialized with Peter killing a chain and Jared rolling a tire and succumbing to the cold.

    In the end, Mr. Chown walked away with top honours and the dinner jacket. Wow!
    That does sound pretty sweet for a morning racer / afternoon spectator.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  66. #66
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    In for Durham!

    Much like Guelph, I've never had this one fit my schedule before so I'm excited. Afterwards, it's off to the Monsters In Law for deep fried turkey with all the fixins!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  67. #67
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    In for Durham!

    Much like Guelph, I've never had this one fit my schedule before so I'm excited. Afterwards, it's off to the Monsters In Law for deep fried turkey with all the fixins!
    Sounds like fun. I'll be engaging in a different kind of suffering on Sunday - will be lugging the dock out at the parents' cottage this weekend, while trying to prevent my dad from over-exerting himself...

    Of course I will be taking Gravedigger to Muskoka with me for a fall colours ride once all the work is done so maybe that will make up for it. Negotiations are also underway with Mrs. Unglued for Toronto Cross to be my cx debut (other than last tuesday's shambolic race at Centennial practice night).
    Strava made me do it....

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nspace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,033
    Deep fried turkey FTW. That is all.

  69. #69
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    I too have never done Durham and look forward to checking it out this year finally. It should be a great course from what I have heard.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nspace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,033
    I didn't race much last year, but of all the races I did do, Durham was definitely the best course. I had a blast. Its definitely one of those well balanced courses between roadies and mtbers. People would pull away from me in the first half of the course, but by the time it got to the long sandy descent back to the finish, you could catch them all again by carrying speed through the corners and not putting feet down. That was a lot of fun.

  71. #71
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    I too have never done Durham and look forward to checking it out this year finally. It should be a great course from what I have heard.
    Did you go to New England last weekend? I thought I saw one of your riders in the results.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  72. #72
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Did you go to New England last weekend? I thought I saw one of your riders in the results.
    Yes, I went to Gloucester. There's a pretty big contingent of Cyclocrossracing.com guys there, and this weekend myself and one of our real elite riders (Tristan Schouten) were present.

  73. #73
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    Yes, I went to Gloucester. There's a pretty big contingent of Cyclocrossracing.com guys there, and this weekend myself and one of our real elite riders (Tristan Schouten) were present.
    Yep, that was who it was. It looked like there were a few GTA racers out there. Looked like a great event!

    The week before, I found Emily Batty, Adam Morka and Peter Glassford in the results!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  74. #74
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,150
    From the west coast CX scene, here's a vid below from the Cat 1/2 & M1/M2 start at our club's annual BC Cup event that we organize. Not sure if it complies with UCI regs, but this year we used a set of mini-barriers (i.e. patio "ties") that you'll see near the beginning to slow everyone down a bit before hitting the stair run-up, which was pretty sketch in previous years with the first lap pack hitting it like a tsunami. We've definitely seen a couple of shins and forearms show signs of wear and tear. Otherwise the course is pretty basic being limited in creatvity somewhat by the venue, but it's also a hard race exactly for that reason with almost no spots for recovery.

    Great turnout this year with almost 200 senior racers, plus another 40+ in the non-competitive kids' events which is by far our biggest turnout ever for the kids. We usually set up 2 kids' courses, one as a very basic small circuit of yellow cones for the run bike, training wheels, push bikes, etc. then a much larger course actually taped off with twists and bends almost like a real scaled-down CX course. We've even used foam pool noodles as a faux-baiier dismount zone in some years. Squirts all had fun!

    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zDC_GMzmNhM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

  75. #75
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    They put a similar set of medium sized logs right before a run-up at the Hustle too. In practice, it was rideable but once the race got underway, traffic made it impossible. After two laps of total fail, I gave up and started running only to discover that it was actually way faster to hoof it!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  76. #76
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    From the west coast CX scene, here's a vid below from the Cat 1/2 & M1/M2 start at our club's annual BC Cup event that we organize. Not sure if it complies with UCI regs, but this year we used a set of mini-barriers (i.e. patio "ties") that you'll see near the beginning to slow everyone down a bit before hitting the stair run-up, which was pretty sketch in previous years with the first lap pack hitting it like a tsunami. We've definitely seen a couple of shins and forearms show signs of wear and tear. Otherwise the course is pretty basic being limited in creatvity somewhat by the venue, but it's also a hard race exactly for that reason with almost no spots for recovery.
    ...


    Now i know why the camera in your video was following the guy in the mumu! That guys corner like roadies leaned everything right over! think I even saw a set of SB8's though i may be imagining things.

  77. #77
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Excellent crash! Very reminiscent of what we get at New Year's Eve Cross.

    As a racer, this is the last thing you want but as a spectator, this is GOLD!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  78. #78
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772

    So what is the deal with cyclocross Toronto

    So I have been scouring the internet for details. The event is 8 days away and all I have been able to learn is that the saturday races will be at some point after 6pm. No info on the actual schedule, the number of laps for each race, preregistration, or when the course will be open to pre-ride.

    Can anyone fill me in on these things, or where I can find out this info? Also, can I race M3 with a citizen permit or if not, will 1-day race licences be available?

    Strange that for what I understand to be one of Ontario's biggest events that there is so little info out there....
    Strava made me do it....

  79. #79
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    So I have been scouring the internet for details. The event is 8 days away and all I have been able to learn is that the saturday races will be at some point after 6pm. No info on the actual schedule, the number of laps for each race, preregistration, or when the course will be open to pre-ride.

    Can anyone fill me in on these things, or where I can find out this info? Also, can I race M3 with a citizen permit or if not, will 1-day race licences be available?

    Strange that for what I understand to be one of Ontario's biggest events that there is so little info out there....
    These are all very good points. It looks like the race might be at the CNE after the bike show which would be very cool (and would allow me to actually do the event).

    Keep checking Midweek and Cyclocross Ontario for details I gues...

    M3 can be done with a Citizen's Permit. You're all set.

    EDIT: It appears on the OCA site that you can pre-reg for the Sunday race and I forgot to mention that the number of laps is determined after the first two laps. It all depends on lap times.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  80. #80
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    Info HERE: http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_do...uide%20(2).pdf

    This was posted way too late. It should have been available months ago.

  81. #81
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Wow, Day 1 looks brutal, a lot like UCI two years ago!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  82. #82
    All my faucets is Moen.
    Reputation: thedumbopinion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    So I have been scouring the internet for details. The event is 8 days away and all I have been able to learn is that the saturday races will be at some point after 6pm. No info on the actual schedule, the number of laps for each race, preregistration, or when the course will be open to pre-ride.

    Can anyone fill me in on these things, or where I can find out this info? Also, can I race M3 with a citizen permit or if not, will 1-day race licences be available?
    Welcome to Ontario cyclocross.

  83. #83
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    Welcome to Ontario cyclocross.
    Compared to road and MTB, CX almost seems underground. You need to know the right people if you want to race...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    Info HERE: http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_do...uide%20(2).pdf

    This was posted way too late. It should have been available months ago.
    thanks for posting Jeff, Day one looks awesome, wish all courses were like that.

    the best news is the triple is possible Day 1 CX Sat, Sun 50k at HH in the AM, CX#2 at 3pm

    Agree if the times were the same it wouldnt be a big deal, but with totally different start times both days this should have been sent out many weeks ago.

    just noticed this "Competitors are
    encouraged to
    ride with lights.
    Ski hill lights will
    be supplemented."

  85. #85
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    thanks for posting Jeff, Day one looks awesome, wish all courses were like that.
    I don't, but I can see how those of you who go uphill better would. Even the descent, however, does not appeal to me as much as a good flowing flat to rolling course. That said we should get just that at the bottom half and for all of day 2. The centennial courses are always good.

    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    the best news is the triple is possible Day 1 CX Sat, Sun 50k at HH in the AM, CX#2 at 3pm
    The fact that you are doing this is hilarious and awesome.

    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Compared to road and MTB, CX almost seems underground. You need to know the right people if you want to race...
    It was not like this in years past. I don't know why more organizers don't see the importance of getting at minimum a flyer/website/guide up a couple months in advance and getting the OCA to link it on their calendar.

    Hillbilly had good info but posted very late, Durham info is sparse and was posted very late, Toronto info is just being made available now (not helped by the changes from the usual times) and the only race after that with anything posted is the Barrie CC Baseball Cross.

    That's all beside the point that there are serious problems with the venue for Nationals less than one month away, and 6 weeks away from Provincials there is no tech guide.

    It's not that hard! The first 3 races of the season all had appropriate info up well in advance.

  86. #86
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    thanks for posting Jeff, Day one looks awesome, wish all courses were like that.
    Well you did awesome the last time we had a course that looked like that!

    It should play to my strengths too but it'll still hurt.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,087
    For the folks doing Toronto 'Cross next Sunday, I can take you guys on a tour of the local trails after your races are done. Bring a mountain bike along, though I have seen a couple guys on 'cross bikes in there I do not recommend it.

  88. #88
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Compared to road and MTB, CX almost seems underground. You need to know the right people if you want to race...
    Wasn't this the same argument as last year?? Last year the excuse was "Oh sorry we are busy with Ontario Games" response. As the OCA office was overwhelmed with an event that occurs every 2 years.

    And then they whine no one wants to race. Hmmm..... would you keep going to Cafe Domestique if you got the same crappy service?

    Same stuff has and is occurring in other offices in Sport Alliance. It will be amusing to see how much more of a mess this becomes in the next 3 years leading up to and including Pan Ams.

    Speaking of which... time to watch the OVA chaos.

  89. #89
    Looking for Adventure
    Reputation: Ricksom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    For the folks doing Toronto 'Cross next Sunday, I can take you guys on a tour of the local trails after your races are done. Bring a mountain bike along, though I have seen a couple guys on 'cross bikes in there I do not recommend it.
    Ahh, I like doing the local Etobicoke Creek trails on my cross bike
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ToneyRiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    397

    Cyclo Cross Races

    There are a bunch of Cyclo Cross races in Ontario check them out mtbiking.ca

  91. #91
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    I don't, but I can see how those of you who go uphill better would. Even the descent, however, does not appeal to me as much as a good flowing flat to rolling course. That said we should get just that at the bottom half and for all of day 2. The centennial courses are always good.

    The fact that you are doing this is hilarious and awesome.


    It was not like this in years past. I don't know why more organizers don't see the importance of getting at minimum a flyer/website/guide up a couple months in advance and getting the OCA to link it on their calendar.

    Hillbilly had good info but posted very late, Durham info is sparse and was posted very late, Toronto info is just being made available now (not helped by the changes from the usual times) and the only race after that with anything posted is the Barrie CC Baseball Cross.

    That's all beside the point that there are serious problems with the venue for Nationals less than one month away, and 6 weeks away from Provincials there is no tech guide.

    It's not that hard! The first 3 races of the season all had appropriate info up well in advance.

    Agreed - for those of us with families, plans have to be made in advance. What would have been so difficult about having this flyer ready in August? Even if it didn't have the course layout on it...

    I'm going to try and make it out for the Saturday night race. I'm on dad duty on Sunday mornings, so I think that rules out the Sunday race @ noon
    Strava made me do it....

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    43
    Hey guys
    What's the scoop on nationals? I don't get the local gossip since I moved to Calgary. I was thinking of coming back for nationals, but have heard rumors of potential suckage.
    Any info would be appreciated, either publicly on the forums or by PM.
    Thanks
    The poster formerly known as 800_lb_gorilla

  93. #93
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    I'll PM info. Basically there were (are) concerns over the venue and course. They are being addressed but I am not convinced it will be awesome. Adequate? Probably, but not much more.

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    and the only race after that with anything posted is the Barrie CC Baseball Cross.
    speaking of the baseball CX, prelim course map posted, some of the finer bits will be tweaked but this is the jist of it......never mind i suck at this computer stuff, go to facebook and search "5th annual BCC cyclocross race" an event page should pop up.

  95. #95
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Durham was a tough one. Got there, felt great and quickly decided after a quick exploratory lap that I was going to have a great day. This course had my name written all over it: tons of tech with a perfect climb for passing.

    Alas, with a great start and in great position, it all fell apart on the very first descent by the parking lot. I made a quick course correction to avoid the rider ahead of me and PFFT! - rear pinch flat.

    The field had already gone by again before I got it fixed (and got my frustration under control) but 'cross ain't for quitters so I set about finishing what I had left of the race.

    In the end, I had a lot of fun and did my best to stay out of peoples' way... I'll be back!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  96. #96
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    Durham was a pretty big flop for me. I started off by bashing my knee on my stem (or something equally hard) during a warm-up lap. Then I showed up to the start a little late and lined up second row, only to have those who showed up even later make the front row wider. Then I got boxed in and Chown and I leaned on each other trying not to crash through the sketchy corner on to the course.

    It got better from there, as I moved from probably close to last up to the low teens. Legs were crap though, and by halfway into the race I was just riding around to finish, focusing on trying to ride as smoothly as possible on the technical sections. Hurray for last place!

    GM and Nerdgirl watched me make room for possibly the cleanest pass ever by Mancini on one of the fast switchback corners on the descent. Good times!

  97. #97
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    GM and Nerdgirl watched me make room for possibly the cleanest pass ever by Mancini on one of the fast switchback corners on the descent. Good times!
    That was the best pass I'd seen in a long time! It all happened so fast, you guys were already down at the next hairpin before we got out our WHOA!s.

    We were talking to Peter's dad for a bit there and he spent a lot of time telling us that the course was "crazy" and "This is a MTB race, not cyclocross!!!"
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  98. #98
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    That was the best pass I'd seen in a long time! It all happened so fast, you guys were already down at the next hairpin before we got out our WHOA!s.
    Trust me it was all Peter's doing. I just got out of the way and made sure not to take him out, but it's awesome that we did that without communicating or him even calling the pass. Just a quick shoulder check, move over and keep going.

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    11
    Loved the Durham course- yes more mtb friendly than other races, but still had the flat power sections. For those complaining that it isn't a cross course - it is 100% cyclocross based on European standards. Durham was easy compared to the cross races I did in Belgium a few years ago.

  100. #100
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Okay... Ontario CX is now staid and completely like eating pablum.

    Day of the Dead Super D

    Cyclocross Super D!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Another Year, More Events. Events 2011!
    By JmZ in forum Midwest - IL, IN, OH, KY, IA, MO, MI
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 09:37 PM
  2. Cyclocross Magazine Live Cyclocross Coverage This Week!
    By jss224 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2009, 08:02 PM
  3. Midwest Events 2008 - Races, Events, etc - Post Here!
    By JmZ in forum Midwest - IL, IN, OH, KY, IA, MO, MI
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 09:46 AM
  4. Up on events?
    By Colo.Josh in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 04:18 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •