Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

cyclist charged with hit and run after killing pedestrian,

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Let the Internet lynching begin.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    this can't be good for cycling.
    Riding on the sidewalk generally isn't good for cycling. :/
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    They are doing a lot of construction there and a couple of sidewalks are closed. There is quite a bit of room to go around on the sidewalks there though. There is a MUP going west on Burnhampthorpe, so the cyclist may not have been on the sidewalk at all. That intersection is extremely busy with traffic at rush hour and there are strip malls on two corners. I don't see how you run into someone, and the story has no details. It does not look good that the guy took off after the accident. Even if it was his fault, he should have stuck around to help. The guy was 52 and should know better.
    Burnt Norton

sheep in FOX clothing

this can't be good for cycling.
    Woman, 28, and her dog fatally struck by car in Vaughan, north of Toronto | CTV Toronto News

That can't be good for elderly motoring. But it slipped out of the news pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Riding on the sidewalk generally isn't good for cycling. :/
    Indeed. And yet we build new sidewalks downtown and call them "separated bike lanes", as if a change in terminology will help.

As for Mississauga:

Quote Originally Posted by Region of Peel
    According to City of Mississauga and City of Brampton by-laws, bikes with wheels greater than 50 cm (20 inches) in diameter are NOT permitted on city sidewalks unless the sidewalk is part of a bicycle path.
    Clear as mud.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Sorry, details are a little to sketchy to non existent for anyone wanting to play expert on this incident.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Sorry, details are a little to sketchy to non existent for anyone wanting to play expert on this incident.
    true but grandma is still dead and if we are sensitive to issues that impact cycling this guy is not an ambassador for cycling on city streets. I am always hoping that we can improve our reputation so fewer people hate us on bicycles. I hope we all feel that it is up to us to try and make it better.

Level 5 Rider!
    Just ask them how many people have died from getting hit by a bicycle vs how many have been killed by getting hit by a car. In general we risk ourselves more than others. As for this it is a shame and the guy was an *insert expletive here* but I don't think the public will think that is just how cyclists are... couriers maybe... lol.

All things are ruined by idiots and idiots usually think that one idiot represents the whole. It's a full speed turbine powered by idiocy. I just do my best to throw in a wrench when I see one in action.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    true but grandma is still dead and if we are sensitive to issues that impact cycling this guy is not an ambassador for cycling on city streets. I am always hoping that we can improve our reputation so fewer people hate us on bicycles. I hope we all feel that it is up to us to try and make it better.
    Yet if we make comments about her death without knowing what actually happened. We sound no better then the no minds who post "Yay, another dead cyclist" or whatever shingles producing drec that gets posted on media Internet reports.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

sheep in FOX clothing
    Why are cyclists expected to self-police?

If I'm driving and I see another guy in a Volvo wagon run a stop sign, should I chase him down and give him a talking to, because he is smearing the reputation of Volvo wagon drivers city-wide?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post

If I'm driving and I see another guy in a Volvo wagon run a stop sign, should I chase him down and give him a talking to, because he is smearing the reputation of Volvo wagon drivers city-wide?
    Happy motoring..

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5325_KHII3s
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

cars already have a place on the streets, it is cyclist that are struggling

to be included. On my trip to Paris last July I saw what cycling on the streets could be like when there is respect both ways and I guess I am left with a wish that we could be like them.

mtbr member
    this just past by council last week in Peterborough, might just let them off the hook for more bike paths and lanes. Sidewalks opened up to cyclists, skateboarders | Local | News | Peterborough Examiner I might just carry a busted hockey stick to shove up Juby's a$$.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

it is hard enough on a good day to separate the responsible cyclists from the

Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    this just past by council last week in Peterborough, might just let them off the hook for more bike paths and lanes. Sidewalks opened up to cyclists, skateboarders | Local | News | Peterborough Examiner I might just carry a busted hockey stick to shove up Juby's a$$.
    A-holes, and now they just gave the idiots free reign in Peterborough. I wonder if the guy on a 40 pound CTC squishy, riding with his case of beer on the handlebars, texting and rolling a cigarette while riding about 20kph along the sidewalk will soon be explaining to the TV news reporter how "it wasn't my fault, the kid walked right in front of me".

sheep in FOX clothing
    A-holes, and now they just gave the idiots free reign in Peterborough. I wonder if the guy on a 40 pound CTC squishy, riding with his case of beer on the handlebars, texting and rolling a cigarette while riding about 20kph along the sidewalk will soon be explaining to the TV news reporter how "it wasn't my fault, the kid walked right in front of me".
    But this is different from every shared use bike path in the city...how?

I mean, they even have a 20kph limit....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I don't even like the shared bike path. The one down on the lake here in Hamilton has kids, dogs, rollerbladers, skateboarders, girls in bikini's and so on, with the cyclist rolling along at 40 kph. Actually I ride on the road that runs parellel to the trail.

sheep in FOX clothing
    I agree, but I'm not sure how we can declare that riding on an abandoned sidewalk in Scarborough is some kind of ethical failing.....

...and then the City builds a pathway of equal or lesser width along the Don River, gives it more corners, worse slight-lines, and more way pedestrians, and calls it a bike transportation solution.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    The most interesting factoid in the article:

About 25% of bicycle trips are taken on sidewalks, but there isn’t the corresponding accident rate that would suggest the city needs to stop cyclists from using sidewalks, utility services director Wayne Jackson says.
    If that's true for Peterborough could something like it be true for suburban Toronto. There's no doubt in my mind...

I'm going to pick nits here and suggest that the abandoned sidewalks all over Scarborough were never owned (ie used) by anyone in the first place. That could change of course. There's some kind of walkability Toronto thing I keep hearing about gathering steam. But, as it stands, those sidewalks are there for the taking, and always have been.

sheep in FOX clothing
    So here's six more pedestrians hit by cars while standing on the sidewalk:

Toronto car crash at Bay and Lake Shore raises questions about road safety | Toronto Star

But don't forget the real danger out there kids:

Law-breaking cyclists putting everyone in danger: Timson | Toronto Star

Rogue Exterminator
    Must be Strava.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

sheep in FOX clothing
    It's funny, I admit I've had a few close calls while hammering along Strava segments... but every single one of them has been while I was on a road, in a lane, with right-of-way, riding at or below the posted limit.... and a motorist pulled out in front of me, misjudging my speed.

One of them even screamed that I was "going down the hill too fast". Maybe so.... My garmin log showed a max of 51.3kph in a 50kph zone.... yes, that had to be it....

Rogue Exterminator
    I was joking about blaming Strava but I figured I would say it before somebody seriously said it.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Speed limit 30 km for everyone, less carnage.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

20 km speed limit?

I have been riding in Peterborough for 15 years and the only time I have seen a speed limit for cyclists is on the parkway trail between
    Walmart and and center line.

Come on there is just simply a matter of judgment required of all of us that use two wheel transportation, whether it is motorcycle, bicycle, or E bike. Be courteous, and follow the rules of the highway traffic act.

I don't think I'm alone on this but there are two categories of people using bicycles, Cyclists, and jerks on bikes.

The jerks on bikes make it that much harder for the rest of us to maintain the reputation and validity of cycling in the city and bike paths everywhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

my point exactly, on saturday I rode for an hour in dundas and three times I met

Quote Originally Posted by gnapp View Post
    II don't think I'm alone on this but there are two categories of people using bicycles, Cyclists, and jerks on bikes.

The jerks on bikes make it that much harder for the rest of us to maintain the reputation and validity of cycling in the city and bike paths everywhere.
    people on horseback. Each time I stopped and asked if there horses were ok with me riding by. Twice they gave me carrots and biscuits to feed to there horses and each time we parted with them liking cyclists more than before. There is likely somebody on the conservation authority committee that can vote to ban bikes in Dundas, an just maybe that person rides a horse along the trails. We are all ambassadors for cycling, and in the end it makes sense to improve our relationship with those on the trails and also on the rode.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast