Thread: Cuba Riding

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Cuba Riding

Craig and I are heading to Manzanillo Cuba for a training camp mid March with another couple who have been doing their training camp annually down there. They always bring down there mtb's but we are thinking of bringing our cross bikes. Any else gone riding in the south of Cuba and suggest which bike is best?

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda View Post
    Craig and I are heading to Manzanillo Cuba for a training camp mid March with another couple who have been doing their training camp annually down there. They always bring down there mtb's but we are thinking of bringing our cross bikes. Any else gone riding in the south of Cuba and suggest which bike is best?
    done that a couple of times - but went with a roadie group - so i do not have real experience with MTB... if it is a training camp - in march - i'd take cross bike for sure. Cuba is top 10 world biking destination, for it's rolling hills type of terrain - which is perfect for Feb-March training... We stayed at Playa Pesquerro or something like that, just south of Holguin... great riding for sure... enjoy...
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I did a self-supported bike tour in Cuba a few years ago, and the cross bike was perfect for it. The roads are generally very good and quiet, though some are a little rough.

I can't weigh in on how the mountain biking is in Cuba or if it's worth bringing a mountain bike, but if you are looking for road miles, the CX bike is a great choice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda View Post
    Louda did you made it down to the island? Where is that training camp in Manzanillo? We a MTB club in the center of the island. We started to build up this weekend what we want to be like a park bike so we can go there and ride. If anytime will be coming down to Cuba and want to share some rides with us through the Escambray mountains we will be welcoming bikers anytime. That will be great, looking to build up an MTB community in Cuba.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Just got back from Cuba yesterday, I wish I knew about this. I would have brought some tires and stuff - it looks like they would have been well received.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusJuice View Post
    Just got back from Cuba yesterday, I wish I knew about this. I would have brought some tires and stuff - it looks like they would have been well received.
    We've been going to Marea del Portillo, in the Granma province, for a few years now. Great road riding (like said above, a bit rough) and unreal potential for MTB in the mountains. I have not explored much off the road but met a couple from Uxbridge a few years ago who were doing big rides in the 40 degree heat. They reported really fun riding, following goat/sheep paths and rough roads. They brought FS carbon 29ers.

If you fly Sunwing, you can bring a bike for $30 return, max 44 pounds. Air Transat is a little more $ but weight is 70 lbs. That's a lot of bike and spare tires in a bike box. 26" tires and tubes are the most useful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusJuice View Post
    Sorry we missed, it would have been great to have meet and share some rides and experiences. I think next time. For real anything will be of a lot of help, thanks for thinking about it. If you know any friend coming down anyone asking for rides and bikers in Cuba can talk about us we are really looking to join people from around the world to share our passion for MTB with. So you are welcome anytime. Hope you enjoyed your staying in the island.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Forestdawg View Post
    We've been going to Marea del Portillo, in the Granma province, for a few years now. Great road riding (like said above, a bit rough) and unreal potential for MTB in the mountains. I have not explored much off the road but met a couple from Uxbridge a few years ago who were doing big rides in the 40 degree heat. They reported really fun riding, following goat/sheep paths and rough roads. They brought FS carbon 29ers.

If you fly Sunwing, you can bring a bike for $30 return, max 44 pounds. Air Transat is a little more $ but weight is 70 lbs. That's a lot of bike and spare tires in a bike box. 26" tires and tubes are the most useful.
    Forestdawg you are right tires and tubes are the most useful as well as any old an unuse parts that might be getting old on basements sometimes, anything can help us going on as we don't have bike shops anywhere down here. Right now is getting really hot, seems unreal. Last saturday we went to ride and build a small kind of part for MTB near the city, it is under the trees and ven though it was hot. When we went back homes riding then we felt the difference, when you ride direct under the sun, but it is always fun riding. I think I have heard that Westjet does free sport equipment transportation, like a bike will be free to fly with then. Im not sure been from Cuba but I have heard about it. Mostly we ride through the Escambray mountains and is all the way mostly by trees and passing on rivers which is really amazing views and ver refreshing. Cheers from the island.