Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Cuba Riding

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    265

    Cuba Riding

    Craig and I are heading to Manzanillo Cuba for a training camp mid March with another couple who have been doing their training camp annually down there. They always bring down there mtb's but we are thinking of bringing our cross bikes. Any else gone riding in the south of Cuba and suggest which bike is best?

  2. #2
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda View Post
    Craig and I are heading to Manzanillo Cuba for a training camp mid March with another couple who have been doing their training camp annually down there. They always bring down there mtb's but we are thinking of bringing our cross bikes. Any else gone riding in the south of Cuba and suggest which bike is best?
    done that a couple of times - but went with a roadie group - so i do not have real experience with MTB... if it is a training camp - in march - i'd take cross bike for sure. Cuba is top 10 world biking destination, for it's rolling hills type of terrain - which is perfect for Feb-March training... We stayed at Playa Pesquerro or something like that, just south of Holguin... great riding for sure... enjoy...
    Signature

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10
    I did a self-supported bike tour in Cuba a few years ago, and the cross bike was perfect for it. The roads are generally very good and quiet, though some are a little rough.

    I can't weigh in on how the mountain biking is in Cuba or if it's worth bringing a mountain bike, but if you are looking for road miles, the CX bike is a great choice.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda View Post
    Craig and I are heading to Manzanillo Cuba for a training camp mid March with another couple who have been doing their training camp annually down there. They always bring down there mtb's but we are thinking of bringing our cross bikes. Any else gone riding in the south of Cuba and suggest which bike is best?
    Louda did you made it down to the island? Where is that training camp in Manzanillo? We a MTB club in the center of the island. We started to build up this weekend what we want to be like a park bike so we can go there and ride. If anytime will be coming down to Cuba and want to share some rides with us through the Escambray mountains we will be welcoming bikers anytime. That will be great, looking to build up an MTB community in Cuba.

  5. #5

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JesusJuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    77
    Just got back from Cuba yesterday, I wish I knew about this. I would have brought some tires and stuff - it looks like they would have been well received.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Forestdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusJuice View Post
    Just got back from Cuba yesterday, I wish I knew about this. I would have brought some tires and stuff - it looks like they would have been well received.
    We've been going to Marea del Portillo, in the Granma province, for a few years now. Great road riding (like said above, a bit rough) and unreal potential for MTB in the mountains. I have not explored much off the road but met a couple from Uxbridge a few years ago who were doing big rides in the 40 degree heat. They reported really fun riding, following goat/sheep paths and rough roads. They brought FS carbon 29ers.

    If you fly Sunwing, you can bring a bike for $30 return, max 44 pounds. Air Transat is a little more $ but weight is 70 lbs. That's a lot of bike and spare tires in a bike box. 26" tires and tubes are the most useful.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusJuice View Post
    Just got back from Cuba yesterday, I wish I knew about this. I would have brought some tires and stuff - it looks like they would have been well received.
    Sorry we missed, it would have been great to have meet and share some rides and experiences. I think next time. For real anything will be of a lot of help, thanks for thinking about it. If you know any friend coming down anyone asking for rides and bikers in Cuba can talk about us we are really looking to join people from around the world to share our passion for MTB with. So you are welcome anytime. Hope you enjoyed your staying in the island.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Forestdawg View Post
    We've been going to Marea del Portillo, in the Granma province, for a few years now. Great road riding (like said above, a bit rough) and unreal potential for MTB in the mountains. I have not explored much off the road but met a couple from Uxbridge a few years ago who were doing big rides in the 40 degree heat. They reported really fun riding, following goat/sheep paths and rough roads. They brought FS carbon 29ers.

    If you fly Sunwing, you can bring a bike for $30 return, max 44 pounds. Air Transat is a little more $ but weight is 70 lbs. That's a lot of bike and spare tires in a bike box. 26" tires and tubes are the most useful.
    Forestdawg you are right tires and tubes are the most useful as well as any old an unuse parts that might be getting old on basements sometimes, anything can help us going on as we don't have bike shops anywhere down here. Right now is getting really hot, seems unreal. Last saturday we went to ride and build a small kind of part for MTB near the city, it is under the trees and ven though it was hot. When we went back homes riding then we felt the difference, when you ride direct under the sun, but it is always fun riding. I think I have heard that Westjet does free sport equipment transportation, like a bike will be free to fly with then. Im not sure been from Cuba but I have heard about it. Mostly we ride through the Escambray mountains and is all the way mostly by trees and passing on rivers which is really amazing views and ver refreshing. Cheers from the island.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by CubanMTB View Post
    Louda did you made it down to the island? Where is that training camp in Manzanillo? We a MTB club in the center of the island. We started to build up this weekend what we want to be like a park bike so we can go there and ride. If anytime will be coming down to Cuba and want to share some rides with us through the Escambray mountains we will be welcoming bikers anytime. That will be great, looking to build up an MTB community in Cuba.
    Hey how is it going? I am from Miami and my parents are cuban, but I have been living in the mountains of Colorado for 3 years now and have become addicted to mountain biking. So I am taking a trip to Cuba April 19th-June 13th and would love to ride with some locals and find out where the mountain biking trails are, maybe we can meet up while I'm there and go for a few rides

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    59

    You are very welcome anytime, we will be here waiting.

    It will be really great to have you down here to ride with us, it will be great to have the chance to share with you some trails around here and ride you a bit out of our province. Looking for it, it will be good times, you will do like it down here different experience for sure.



    Quote Originally Posted by worldkaoz View Post
    Hey how is it going? I am from Miami and my parents are cuban, but I have been living in the mountains of Colorado for 3 years now and have become addicted to mountain biking. So I am taking a trip to Cuba April 19th-June 13th and would love to ride with some locals and find out where the mountain biking trails are, maybe we can meet up while I'm there and go for a few rides

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •