Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crunch II

mtbr member

Crunch II

Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    I feel cheated out of gnarly crash... this is what crunch means to me - a broken bone or bicycle part!!
    Your wish is my command:

Up, Up, and Away!
    Nice impact!

I Strava Hamburgers
    First I was like " Sweet, Would love to ride this... "

Then I 'd.

Evil Jr.
    My palms were actually getting sweaty wondering which feature would be your undoing.

No permanent damage I hope? At least your posting fingers seem to be intact (unless you're now typing with a mouth-held stylus).
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    My palms were actually getting sweaty wondering which feature would be your undoing.

No permanent damage I hope? At least your posting fingers seem to be intact (unless you're now typing with a mouth-held stylus).
    Sprained one wrist and two fingers of the other hand. I was obviously jumping above my ability level. Any thoughts as to what I might have been doing wrong from what little you can see in the video?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    Sprained one wrist and two fingers of the other hand. I was obviously jumping above my ability level. Any thoughts as to what I might have been doing wrong from what little you can see in the video?
    I watched it twice trying to figure out what went pear shaped. Did you land back-wheel first and then endo? (I find that the perspective from the head-cam almost always make people look like they're on the verge of an endo. ).
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    I watched it twice trying to figure out what went pear shaped. Did you land back-wheel first and then endo? (I find that the perspective from the head-cam almost always make people look like they're on the verge of an endo. ).
    Iím wondering about that. back wheel first requires some serious shock absorption from the legs. If I landed back wheel first and failed to absorb, I might have been thrown violently forward onto the front wheel, and then... Bluey!

Talentless Hack
    Was this your first-ever attempt of said feature?
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Yup! First... So far.

namagomi

Be honest - it was that paint, wasn't it?

It seems like you came off leaning to the left, probably hit rear-first too hard and it was curtains. Maybe to square up earlier and try to match the angle of the transition more with a (may need more speed)... just a guess i can't see where you landed!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Any thoughts as to what I might have been doing wrong from what little you can see in the video?
    It looks like the front wheel spun sideways when you landed, why is something which I can't really see from the video. If I were to take a guess it could be from being off-balance coming off the drop and/or having a harder landing than expected and not being able to soak it up.

mtbr member
    Be honest - it was that paint, wasn't it?
    Oddly, I saw red after the crash too!

humber river advocate
    Oddly, I saw red after the crash too!
    lots of people crash on that when it is wet. not really a jump, more of a drop. it tends to pitch you forward off balance if you don't have enough speed.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

I Strava Hamburgers
    Glad you're alright. That looked painful!

FeelIng Cranky!
    Hey, where is that? Looks like fun!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck50 View Post
    It's Blue Mountain.

Ironically, there was a thread kicking around here somewhere about a month ago debating the quality/safety of that feature.

FeelIng Cranky!
    It's Blue Mountain.

Ironically, there was a thread kicking around here somewhere about a month ago debating the quality/safety of that feature.
    Coolio! I would never try that feature, I just know I could not clear that! There is somethign similar on my reg ride. I wish I could though!

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    I'm thinking not enough speed - from 1.35 it looks like you are grabbing brake.
    Last edited by tommy; 09-27-2011 at 08:46 AM.

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck50 View Post
    The trail is called Haole and its one of 5 intermediate level runs. Each trail is unique and has varying levels of difficulty (steepness, features etc). Haole is wide with berms and has several wooden drops and dirt jumps. Over the summer my skills accelerated with practice riding steep/ rooty rocky (often very narrow) decents and managing drops/jumps. I'm doing the advanced trails with ease. And I'm much faster now than I was at the beginning of the season.

Singlesprocket and I are at Blue most weekends. We've had a great time (the village is also rocking) . There are some but not many females riding dh, so we stand out. If you want to learn more let me know. I'm more than happy to share .

mtbr member
    It's Blue Mountain.

The feature seems fine to me, and itís 100% optional. If people donít want to find themselves parting ways with their bikes from time to time, there is a nice Mountain Coaster to enjoy :-D

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I'm thinking not enough speed - from 1.35 it looks like you are grabbing brake.
    Hmmm... Iím comfortable wheelie-dropping things that size from a track stand, so I wouldnít normally worry about being too slow. But perhaps more speed would have helped in some way. The other suggestion is coming down rear wheel first, so perhaps I sailed off the end and failed to push the nose down to get both wheels onto the dirt together.

What do you think of that possibility?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hard to tell what went wrong. Without another camera angle can't really give any feedback on what may have gone wrong. Need to look at body position, bike position, and such which can't see in the helmet cam angle.

livin' large
    see what happens when you ride with clips!
    it tied the room together man!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian-clydesdale View Post
    see what happens when you ride with clips!
    Mallets: The worst of both worlds ;-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I retract my earlier speculation regarding the cause of your crash.
    Your crash was clearly caused by the use of an inferior Crank Bros. product.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    lolol!!

So true, what a **** unreliable product, but somehow it still sells!!

No. Just No.
    As a longtime Eggbeater user (and no current plans to change) I can appreciate the humour here. "Set and forget"? No...

namagomi
    What, you didn't
    a)snap the pedal spindle or
    b)have the cone come loose on the non-drive side and repack 40 2mm bearings
    c)give up deal with "limp pedal" syndrome

I am shocked sir.

Evil Jr.
    What, you didn't
    a)snap the pedal spindle or
    b)have the cone come loose on the non-drive side and repack 40 2mm bearings
    c)give up deal with "limp pedal" syndrome

I am shocked sir.
    Meh. Easy, meet peasy.

Talentless Hack
    If people donít want to find themselves parting ways with their bikes from time to time, there is a nice Mountain Coaster to enjoy
    There must be some way to injure yourself on that thing, and I intend to find it.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Meh. Easy, meet peasy.

I was getting fed up of those bearing seizing at the worst times (like 40k from home) or having the body separate from the spindle on day two of CTS - with 40k left in the stage; so you can imagine how excited I was when Crank brothers came out with the new re-designed, better seals, stronger pedals - I picked up a set of the eggbeater 3's with the 5 year warranty! YeeHaw - they lasted about 11 months before one pedal seized a couple weeks ago.
    Bad news is that rebuild kit only works on the old style - they will release a kit for the new style "soon"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    At a bike shop near you.

Husband "Look sweetie... it's a brand shiny new sexier version of the Eggbeaters."

Wife " But you know dear, they fail pretty quick."

Husband " Not this time... shinier means better. And they will have worked out all the bugs this time"

Wife " Okay dear" as she rolls her eyes.

Shop door opens as a dirtbag enters on a well beaten hardtail.

Mechanic " Hey dude"

Dirtbag " Nice ride."

Mechanic " Don't you think you should get around to rebuilding those Shimano SPD's? It's been 4 years."

Couple looks over in shock.

Dirtbag" Naw dude.. that takes away from ride time.

namagomi
    Sooo... the dirtbags know best?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was a shop mechanic when the Eggbeaters and Candys first came out, other than RockShox Judy cartridges I can't think of any other product which broke so often. Well I guess there was the M73x series of XT V-brakes where the pivots went to **** after 6 months, but at least the rebuild kit worked and kept the stinkin' things fixed for years. I still have a set on one of my bikes.

Also, Time ATAC pedals all the way.

sock puppet
    I was getting fed up of those bearing seizing at the worst times (like 40k from home) or having the body separate from the spindle on day two of CTS - with 40k left in the stage; so you can imagine how excited I was when Crank brothers came out with the new re-designed, better seals, stronger pedals - I picked up a set of the eggbeater 3's with the 5 year warranty! YeeHaw - they lasted about 11 months before one pedal seized a couple weeks ago.
    Bad news is that rebuild kit only works on the old style - they will release a kit for the new style "soon"
    Sorry to hear that. After 4 years of riding Eggbeaters, all 3 Crank the Shields and every conceivable race in between, I am yet to break anything or suffer a malfunction. Still riding the same set of 5 pairs of pedals across 3 of my bikes over the last 4 years. Two pairs got rebuilt (by self).

In the previous 4 years I had 2 pairs of Time Attacks XS Carbon replaced under warranty as they disintegrated on me.

It is probably just a fluke. Eh electrik?

I do like those white platforms though. I think I will switch when I stop racing and start attending same beer rides. My platforms will be white. To match my spit shiny sub 21 carbon 29er HT racing red and white colours.

Thumbsup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My working theory is that Crank Bros. builds 10% of the pedals to last and cheaps out on the other 90% of them. Another person I know has the same experience with Eggbeaters as osokolo, she can't seem to break them while most other people I know have endless problems with them.

mtbr member
    Never mind.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post

Also, Time ATAC pedals all the way.
    times are the best, used these pedals for years. if you have to ride spds these are the ones, last forever... i've worn out many pairs of shoes before pedals....

yup broken eggbeaters, but i guess people like to justify what they buy to the bitter end...

lol how much for the rebuild kit? more crap for the landfill
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Evil Jr.
    That does suck. Eggbeaters seem to be really rider-dependent. Between me and Mrs. Monster, we probably have over a dozen pairs and I've only had one fail on me (after CTS #1, not entirely surprising).

I still love 'em but I'm perfectly willing to acknowledge they're not for everyone.

EDIT: The reason we switched to Eggbeaters from SPDs is that Mrs. Monster's cleats REALLY pack up with mud and/or ice since the cleat pocket on women's shoes is so small and the SPDs don't respond well to that sort of build-up. Since we switched about five years ago, it's been a non-issue and that's the short and long of why we like 'em - rebuild kits or no.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    [QUOTE=garage monster;8492502]The reason we switched to Eggbeaters from SPDs is that Mrs. Monster's cleats REALLY pack up with mud and/or ice since the cleat pocket on women's shoes is so small and the SPDs...QUOTE]

Similar reason for me - the 959 pedals would get packed out with ice, switched to the eggbeaters, no more issue. I grew to prefer them over the spd's, just wish they would work the issue out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Eggbeaters seem to be really rider-dependent. Between me and Mrs. Monster, we probably have over a dozen pairs and I've only had one fail on me (after CTS #1, not entirely surprising).
    From my shop experiences and discussions with the riders I know, it seems to be a random pattern. We've had'em installed on everything from road bikes to freeride bikes with all sorts of different riders, a few have had no failures despite abusing the crap out them while others have had them fall apart from just looking at them wrong. There isn't a pattern like rode weekly at Hilton Falls, failed after 5000km, rider was a Clyde or something along those lines.

sock puppet
    Time ATAC pedals are great. Nothing wrong with them, though they did have some design issues that were fixed along the line. I did break a couple of sets, when I didn't think they should have broken (hitting the stump ie). However, I did not switch to Eggbeaters because Time ATAC sucked. Time pedals still have some better features than Eggbeaters - like more platform as well as (I believe) stronger spindle.

On the flip side, Eggbeaters have advantages in other areas, like mud/snow/ice clearance which was the single most important reason I switched to them, as well as reduced weight.

When I switched, I very well expected shorter life and increased probability of breakage. Neither happened. The life expectancy is about the same as Time ATAC in my case. Rebuild kit is only $20 - and this is a huge advantage over Time ATAC (at least from the time I used them (2000-2006), which did not have any rebuild kits. I mashed Eggbeaters against rocks on multiple occasions, causing sparks etc, but they held up beyond expectations. Not a single set broke or seized on me. I've been using exclusively 2Ti model - don't know if that matters at all, but do believe that they are solidly built for their purpose.

It is good to have both options, just don't understand those that go out of their way to badmouth the product that quite a few of us continue to use as we are happy with it, portraying it as a character flaw trying to justify the purchase... I find it weird, but not surprising, considering the source.

But, seeing the flashiness of the oversized, blingy white platforms on the carbon 29er squishy the other day at Palgrave, I must say that I will engage in active search for those pedals, hoping that they will deliver a huge unfair advantage to me next racing season.

If anyone has any leads as to where to get them, please come forward.

Thanks in advance electrik.

mtbr member
    Credit where credit is due Chris, that is my MS paint magnum opus!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Eggbeaters have advantages in other areas, like mud/snow/ice clearance which was the single most important reason I switched to them, as well as reduced weight.
    I came to MTB from Cyclocross, and that was the reason I bought a pair. I tried SPDs, they didnít work for me at all when mixing riding and shouldering the bike, especially on training rides in The Don, the epicentre of sticky clay goodness. The Eggbeaters clipped in every time, even when a large clod would be stuck to the bottom of the shoe. Scrape it on the pedals, then click.

MTB has different requirements, and I certainly understand folks who prefer SPDs or ATACs or whatever else. Like many things, sometimes one thing is better than another for a certain application, but itís not better enough to be worth the switch. I donít ride with proper XC shoes very often, so the few times that I do, Iím happy to put an inexpensive pair of Candyís on the bike.

Coming back to this threadís start, I have ridden platforms pretty much all season, but I wanted to try riding with Mallets and 5.10 DH shoes. If clipless is one style of pedals and platforms another, DH clipless is actually a third flavour.

You ride with your feet pressed securely on the platforms just like a platform pedal. The cleats are shoved right to the back of the available travel, so your foot is closer to the position youíd adopt for platforms (axle under the arch of the foot) than clipless (axle under the ball of the foot). You arenít going to get as much cranking power as with a XC-style cleat setup, but you do get more than with a platform. Most importantly, the feet are secured when you take some big hits or jounce through a rock garden.

I was challenged here on MTBR to learn the ďWest Coast BailĒ while wearing clipless pedals, and this is one of my immediate goals. I havenít tried platforms with SPDs, so I canít say whether the mallets are better, worse, or about the same. But for the purpose of learning a new skill, I suspect theyíre fine.

sock puppet

i swear i read somewhere

that you unsubscribed from this, although being your own, thread.

weird.

but i do share your sentiment on different pedals.

mullets are it!

I came to MTB from Cyclocross, and that was the reason I bought a pair. I tried SPDs, they didnít work for me at all when mixing riding and shouldering the bike, especially on training rides in The Don, the epicentre of sticky clay goodness. The Eggbeaters clipped in every time, even when a large clod would be stuck to the bottom of the shoe. Scrape it on the pedals, then click.

MTB has different requirements, and I certainly understand folks who prefer SPDs or ATACs or whatever else. Like many things, sometimes one thing is better than another for a certain application, but itís not better enough to be worth the switch. I donít ride with proper XC shoes very often, so the few times that I do, Iím happy to put an inexpensive pair of Candyís on the bike.

Coming back to this threadís start, I have ridden platforms pretty much all season, but I wanted to try riding with Mallets and 5.10 DH shoes. If clipless is one style of pedals and platforms another, DH clipless is actually a third flavour.

You ride with your feet pressed securely on the platforms just like a platform pedal. The cleats are shoved right to the back of the available travel, so your foot is closer to the position youíd adopt for platforms (axle under the arch of the foot) than clipless (axle under the ball of the foot). You arenít going to get as much cranking power as with a XC-style cleat setup, but you do get more than with a platform. Most importantly, the feet are secured when you take some big hits or jounce through a rock garden.

I was challenged here on MTBR to learn the ďWest Coast BailĒ while wearing clipless pedals, and this is one of my immediate goals. I havenít tried platforms with SPDs, so I canít say whether the mallets are better, worse, or about the same. But for the purpose of learning a new skill, I suspect theyíre fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    i swear i read somewhere that you unsubscribed from this, although being your own, thread.
    Imagine, if you will, that you are enjoying some after-ride BEvERages, and you start a conversation with a friend or two. Someone else drifts over, then someone else, and the petty soon there is a small crowd. Naturally, the conversation meanders a bit. Soon, it falls into a predictable pattern somewhat typical of the larger group of people who are now involved.

You excuse yourself and wander away for a while to talk to somebody else, and check back in later to see if it has turned back to something of interest to you personally. In the mean time, thereís no need to be notified every time someone has something to say. Itís that simple.

Now back to pedals. These are what I was using in that crash:

And what I normally ride:

And when I want some weight -weenie cred:

No. Just No.
    Actually, for a number of years now bike fitting methodologies (which includes cleat setup) for all types of riding including performance road and XC racing, often have the cleats positioned as rearward as possible for optimal pedaling efficiency and power output. Not a hard rule of course, since by definition bike fits are a highly individual matter. The "cleat under ball of foot" thing as a rule of thumb left the building some time ago, even though for some people it still may be the best cleat position.

This rearward cleat setup is not to be confused with a true "midfoot" cleat position, which is a much more radical bike fit methodology that generally requires some customization of gear to achieve.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Actually, for a number of years now bike fitting methodologies (which includes cleat setup) for all types of riding including performance road and XC racing, often have the cleats positioned as rearward as possible for optimal pedaling efficiency and power output. Not a hard rule of course, since by definition bike fits are a highly individual matter. The "cleat under ball of foot" thing as a rule of thumb left the building some time ago, even though for some people it still may be the best cleat position.

This rearward cleat setup is not to be confused with a true "midfoot" cleat position, which is a much more radical bike fit methodology that generally requires some customization of gear to achieve.
    What, since when... 1st metarastal ftw. I heard moving the cleat backwards is for losers who can't hack it... true?

No. Just No.
    What, since when... 1st metarastal ftw.
    Just one reference below, but unless you want to treat yourself as being more qualified than Steve Hogg (the author of the article) this should open your mind a bit to at least consider the topic;

POWER TO THE PEDAL – CLEAT POSITION Ľ Bike Fit Ľ Feet Ľ Steve Hogg's Bike Fitting Website

Steve is coming at this almost exclusively from the perspective of pedaling, but if the more rearward position also adds potential for more stability in mountain biking, then it's a win-win.

I heard moving the cleat backwards is for losers who can't hack it... true?
    If you want to put that tag on me then sure, I guess you've got it nailed.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Just one reference below, but unless you want to treat yourself as being more qualified than Steve Hogg (the author of the article) this should open your mind a bit to at least consider the topic;

POWER TO THE PEDAL Ė CLEAT POSITION Ľ Bike Fit Ľ Feet Ľ Steve Hogg's Bike Fitting Website

Steve is coming at this almost exclusively from the perspective of pedaling, but if the more rearward position also adds potential for more stability in mountain biking, then it's a win-win.

If you want to put that tag on me then sure, I guess you've got it nailed.
    Sweet tat...(!!!!!)

You're coming out of the closet as anti BOFOPA, well we are a tolerant bunch around here

and will tolerate even the intolerable including clipless pedal cleat arguments.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast