Thread: Crunch!

mtbr member

Crunch!

Lemmy Rules!
    That made for some good lunch-hour viewing. Thanks for posting...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    That made for some good lunch-hour viewing. Thanks for posting...
    You’re very welcome. I realize most folks don’t need to see Yet Another Don Valley Video, but I hoped that the anti-climactic finish would give folks a chuckle. My bars jammed tight into those two trees simultaneously, wedging the bike in solid. I was actually sitting on the bike, motionless. After being so pleased with myself, this was seriously humbling... The most ridiculously underwhelming finish to the run I could have imagined.

Evil Jr.
    Looked pretty clean otherwise! Well done!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    That looks like a great trail system. How do I get to it?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan2 View Post
    It's easy. That's the Don. Just get yourself down to Toronto and take Bayview down to Pottery road. You can park right before the rail crossing and follow your nose from the trail head! You have a decent amount of warm-up before you get to Dr. Quads if you start at that end.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan2 View Post
    PM sent to avoid side-tracking

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    It's easy. That's the Don. Just get yourself down to Toronto and take Bayview down to Pottery road. You can park right before the rail crossing and follow your nose from the trail head! You have a decent amount of warm-up before you get to Dr. Quads if you start at that end.
    Damn you people! You can't be giving away directions to Toronto's hidden gem trails! Now everyone's going to come flocking to my local trails and screw things up for me and all the other local riders who put so much hard work into those trails. Can you imagine what would happen if Albiotards™ started sabotaging and ripping up all the bridges and TTFs? It would be carnage I tell you, carnage! It would make the papers and then that bastard Rob Ford would ban everyone from biking there and bulldoze the entire place to build a new road.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Damn you people! You can't be giving away directions to Toronto's hidden gem trails! Now everyone's going to come flocking to my local trails and screw things up for me and all the other local riders who put so much hard work into those trails. Can you imagine what would happen if Albiotards™ started sabotaging and ripping up all the bridges and TTFs? It would be carnage I tell you, carnage! It would make the papers and then that bastard Rob Ford would ban everyone from biking there and bulldoze the entire place to build a new road.
    Satan2, if you're also interested in invading and ruining a nice restaurant while you visit, Lai Wah Heen has outstanding Cantonese food just behind City Hall. Tell Rob Ford I said hi!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    PM sent to avoid side-tracking
    Resistance is futile!

Actually, Dr. Quads has already been sanitized. The gully-spanning bridges you see in the video were placed there by Xc racers who wanted to fly through the trail on their 29ers without having to learn how to pump the gullies for speed. There were three gullies but only enough wood for two bridges, so they built a bridge and then cut it in half, lengthwise, making the two narrow-ish bridges you see first.

The remaining bridge was fine, but it would have lead to some ride-overs and they had neglected to bring a small bulldozer, so they made it zig-zag a little to get to easier ground.

The ladders that switch-back up the hill were likewise the work of recreational cyclists who like to ride the trails on their “commuter” bikes. The soil there is too loose to ride up that hill on 1.75” tires with smooth, pavement-friendly tread, so switch-backs were needed. Cutting switch-backs into the hill was too much work, so they salvaged ladder material from all the stunts they had removed from other trails and built the system you see here.

sock puppet
    ROFL

Not a second too soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Signature

namagomi
    Firstly i feel cheated out of gnarly crash... this is what crunch means to me - a broken bone or bicycle part!!

Yes, but i think raganwald should worry instead the Ford will create a skinny to a drop - a drop right into Ford's gaping maw.

There he will be digested over the course of a thousand years... om nom nom nom!

mtbr member
    Isnt the Pottery Rd parking area closed due to major construction or is that finished now ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    Isnt the Pottery Rd parking area closed due to major construction or is that finished now ?
    Ah you saw the picture posted above:

(Having manhandled a car out of the mud in that parking lot, I think the picture is appropriate).

Pottery Road as a whole is closed, but they reopened the entrance from Bayview kinda-sorta- to provide access to Fantasy Farm and Toddmorden Mills. There is often construction equipment parked in the lot, but I parked there on Saturday and all was fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    After seeing the recent entries into the cyclocross thread, I must say that the lack of carnage in your vid clip is disturbing.
    Perhaps what we need is to run a 4x through Dr. Quads. Imagine the race to get the “hole shot” on those skinnies, or two guys shoulder-to-shoulder on the zig-zag bridge!

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    You’re very welcome. I realize most folks don’t need to see Yet Another Don Valley Video, but I hoped that the anti-climactic finish would give folks a chuckle. My bars jammed tight into those two trees simultaneously, wedging the bike in solid. I was actually sitting on the bike, motionless. After being so pleased with myself, this was seriously humbling... The most ridiculously underwhelming finish to the run I could have imagined.
    After seeing the recent entries into the cyclocross thread, I must say that the lack of carnage in your vid clip is disturbing.