Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Evil Jr.

Crank The Shield: Trail Build

An intrepid band of about a dozen hearty volunteers joined Chico Racing and dove deep into the heart of the Haliburton Forest this weekend to build a signature trail for Crank The Shield. One day of flagging and two days of building yielded nearly 2 km of challenging yet dynamic trail that's sure to live up to its name: Crank The Shield (apt, no?).

To anyone planning a trip up to Haliburton Forest: the trailhead is up near the intersection of the Normac and Red trails. It's opened and signed so don't be shy. It rides great and needs a few more tires across it!

To all you eager CTS racers: get ready, this one's a doozy!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Misfit Psycles
    pointless without pictures really...

you did take some?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

banned
    Feb 2005
    Great news, thanks for posting. Haliburton Forest is a fantastic place to go for a BIG ride.

Evil Jr.
    It was a curious thing building that trail. I was overwhelmed with this feeling of "I can hardly wait until people get to ride this; they're gonna love it!" A lot of time was spent making features with multiple lines. I can hardly wait to race it myself!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Thanks for putting in some quality time with the tools for the build day. Looking forward to riding it this coming September.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Well done...Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Feb 2005
    The work that was put into this beauty was well thought out.

banned
    Feb 2005
    The size and amount of rock that was moved is very cool. It all looks natural, like it has always been there. This well placed rock floats you over running water.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Buff..Dry..and ready to ride.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Rock and Roll

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hey Phat Tyred:

Thank you for the Photos.

Are these all in Haliburton Forest? Which trails?

Could I seriously think about bringing/dragging my 10YR old with me? Or should I plan on a solo ride there for a few years?

Stosh.
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

banned
    Feb 2005
    All the pics are from one new Chico trail in the Haliburton Forest. The new build rides really well, but I am not sure about your 10 year old riding ability. You could give it a try since there are tons of easier trails, private lakes to swim and fish, wolf centre, tree top trek and the largest campground in North America.

I will post some pics another day of the built going on right now up there. Really great stuff, can't wait to go back up there to ride more of it.

banned
    Feb 2005
    There is a new trail being built that spurs off Crank the Shield about three quarters of the way through.. Two Haliburton Forest employees were busy chainsawing and raking the new line. Again the layout is superb, with a rideable grade up hill without even being raked yet. The trail curves around the bottom of a nice little water fall giving a nice view and break spot., while crossing the water at tame flat spot …great layout…nice flow. The Haliburton guys said the trail flagging continues over to a hilly area…looking forward to a return visit. This is the type of trail that was missing from Haliburtons 300 kilometers of access roads and trails.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Every race course needs these guys …paid builder and maintenance staff.

banned
    Feb 2005
    This huge split rock will make a great trail feature.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Cool little water fall area that will make for a nice rest spot.

banned
    Feb 2005
    The trail will cross the stream at the lower flat spot...nice choice.

banned
    Feb 2005
    This is the work to be done at the stream crossing …O natural now…next time a thin black line. Very nice to see this happening.

mtbr member
    My buddy and I were in the Haliburton area last week and we rode the new trail section. It was awesome. Good work up there.

mtbr member
    Terribly sorry for reviving this old thing, but a few buddies and I are booked at Haliburton Forest for a couple of nights in August and many reviews circa 2007 for Haliburton Forest rate it low for mountain biking. I am guessing the newer Chico trails raise the excitement bar for single-track enthusiasts, and they are accessible from the camping area?

Evil Jr.
    Haliburton is a tough, rugged place to ride. Except for the new bits built by Chico, expect old-school all-day rides with plenty of rocks, roots and water crossings.

As I said in my (old) original post, Crank the Shield can be accessed across from the exit to the Normac but the second half has been logged since the original build. The new section that Phat mentioned (I think they named it North West Passage(?)) is a lot of fun - until you get to the LONG hike-a-bike.

mtbr member
    How long are the new Chico trails? Are there loops that go back to the entrance or would we be riding to Stage 2 of 2010 CTS?

If you are familiar with the Minnesing trail in Algonquin park how does halibturton compare?

I think we are looking for a trail that starts and loops back to the entrance by the cabins. Is this possible here?

Evil Jr.
    The Chico trails are only a few kms in total so you can't make a day of just that. I think you can get a trail map at the main office and design your day based on it. Haliburton is littered with "To Base" signs that will steer you back to the cabins no matter where you pop out. On the whole, I wouldn't go to Haliburton specifically to ride but if I was going, I'd definitely bring my bike, if you catch my drift

I've never ridden in Algonquin so I can't help there. They most remind me of the jeep/hunting trails I used to ride growing up in Sudbury.

mtbr member
    Damn - so stage 1 of CTS was/is a combo of older haliburton forest trails/logging roads and the new Chico trails? Could we ride most/part of the stage 1 CTS route if we wanted to?

All my faucets is Moen.
    Here's a trail map.
    http://www.haliburtonforest.com/images/summermap.gif

Note that its from 2003 so the trails are a bit different and Chico's is not shown but you get the idea. Updated maps are available at the same building you check in for your cabin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast