Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    No. Just No. Moderator

Crank the Shield 2014 Official Thread of Doom

While there have been a few random postings here, it seems that CTS 2014 is now official. Registration is live already, although the event details posted still have some items TBA when they have it all sorted out.

Crank The Shield | Register

Wonder if the same camp format from 2012 will be retained instead of the camp-to-camp transfer after day 2, like 2008/09/10?

mtbr member
    Bummer that it's in the unpredictable Fall season.

mtbr member
    That's interesting. Never done Crank the Sheild, may think about it next year though... good warm up to the Transylvania Epic....
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyh83 View Post
    That's interesting. Never done Crank the Sheild, may think about it next year though... good warm up to the Transylvania Epic....
    Both are super-fun and highly recommended.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I volunteer to ride the Beta trials bike that will follow Unglued with all the supplies he will need.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    follow Unglued with all the supplies he will need.
    Such as plaster and fibreglass?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Such as plaster and fibreglass?
    Gun tape, patch kits, tubes, Gun tape, 8 liters of Bactine, Paracetamol, tubes, front wheel, rear wheel,.....

No. Just No. Moderator
    Gun tape, patch kits, tubes, Gun tape, 8 liters of Bactine, Paracetamol, tubes, front wheel, rear wheel,.....
    If I find myself back for this event, I'm going to rig up a grease gun fitting to my bars as a remote with tubing to reapply chamois cream in the necessary places on the fly. I have been known to overdo the stuff a bit. I recall on the start line of a CTS day two (2008?) one of our fellow forum members was quite vocal in pointing out that I was already getting some "seepage" from what admittedly may have been overapplication.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    If I find myself back for this event, I'm going to rig up a grease gun fitting to my bars as a remote with tubing to reapply chamois cream in the necessary places on the fly. I have been known to overdo the stuff a bit. I recall on the start line of a CTS day two (2008?) one of our fellow forum members was quite vocal in pointing out that I was already getting some "seepage" from what admittedly may have been overapplication.
    I think we already knew you where of the tender sort. But thank you for for confirming this fact.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Stop, stop, now! No nightmares for me tonight please. As for the ride I'm glad it's back on. I read up on it a year back only to find out it was cancelled for 2013.

Now I have a whole year to regain fitness, find some more fitness, and stay healthy joint wise. The insanity of 3 days of racing somehow appeals to my mind despite my mid pack performances over the years, but don't ask me why.

2012 brought 6 months of bursitis on my right kneecap from hitting a rock and then my handlebar about 3 months later.

2013 on March 8th I fell over into a bush (riding of course) and tore the volar plate of my right index finger. It is almost better as of today but remains 90% functional at best. Very likely permanently disfigured too.

Oh, and I turn 50 next week......

Drew
    occasional cyclist

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    Stop, stop, now! No nightmares for me tonight please.
    I'm sensing that you would prefer me to start a separate thread entitled "Chamois Cream 2014 Official Thread of Doom".

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Stop, stop, now! No nightmares for me tonight please.
    Hmm... nightmare? Easy..invite the crusher of souls Phil Chew to show up.

Cyclist proves it's all about focus - Victoria News

mtbr member
    You've got me confused, Tyler.
    The Transylvania Epic is in May and CTS is in September.

mtbr member
    Hmm... nightmare? Easy..invite the crusher of souls Phil Chew to show up.

Cyclist proves it's all about focus - Victoria News
    This makes me realize what a lazy ba$tard I am.

Evil Jr.
    Stop, stop, now! No nightmares for me tonight please. As for the ride I'm glad it's back on. I read up on it a year back only to find out it was cancelled for 2013.

Now I have a whole year to regain fitness, find some more fitness, and stay healthy joint wise. The insanity of 3 days of racing somehow appeals to my mind despite my mid pack performances over the years, but don't ask me why.

2012 brought 6 months of bursitis on my right kneecap from hitting a rock and then my handlebar about 3 months later.

2013 on March 8th I fell over into a bush (riding of course) and tore the volar plate of my right index finger. It is almost better as of today but remains 90% functional at best. Very likely permanently disfigured too.

Drew
    Do it!

Name:  200x200px-ZC-e617ce02_benStillerDoIt.jpeg
Views: 2519
Size:  11.6 KB
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    If you would like to increase your preparedness for the 2014 edition. We have many..Bogs, Swamps, and marshes around I would be more then happy to take you for a training ride through.

All I ask is in return is donations to the 2014 Monstercross fund. I will even let you bunk on the floor.

sock puppet

Drew
    that all?

you have to work harder at really hurting yourself... i can show you how...
    Signature

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    maybe he is doing Transylvania Epic in 2015?
    Signature

No. Just No. Moderator
    If you would like to increase your preparedness for the 2014 edition. We have many..Bogs, Swamps, and marshes around I would be more then happy to take you for a training ride through.
    Ha - while that was a fair description of much of the inaugural 2008 edition of CTS, the route has evolved significantly since then thanks to Sean and crew. The trail mix was great last time I participated in 2010, and even dry enough to be dusty in a lot of spots. Some water crossings here and there to give people the real deal experience of riding on a few less groomed trails is a good thing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    Gonna do the Transylvanian the following year (2015)... the same race you are coming to Jean!
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ha - while that was a fair description of much of the inaugural 2008 edition of CTS, the route has evolved significantly since then thanks to Sean and crew. The trail mix was great last time I participated in 2010, and even dry enough to be dusty in a lot of spots. Some water crossings here and there to give people the real deal experience of riding on a few less groomed trails is a good thing!
    true story, in 2012 the course was much different than the inaugural 2008 "Wade Boggs" edition. Which I still look back on with fond memories now that its over.

lots more MTB specific singletrack and I think there's more for next year. I'm hopefully back in for my 4th edition, having missed 2009.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I was lucky enough to be a sweep rider last year and and it was an amazing weekend. Probably the best time I've had on the bike. Even the Friday where I rode 6hrs in the rain and only made it to aid station 2 was great.

There were only 2 water crossings (crossing the same place twice). So much amazing singletrack including Sir Sams and The Glebe Trails, and surprisingly awesome section of doubletrack. There is also a long hike-a-bike that leads to the best feedstation location ever.

I hope to go back but I was planning on organizing an event the same day. Pretty bummed. I wanted to race it this year.

mtbr member
    Gonna do the Transylvanian the following year (2015)... the same race you are coming to Jean!
    2015... got it.

I don't know about Transylvanian, too many Vampires.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    true story, in 2012 the course was much different than the inaugural 2008 "Wade Boggs" edition. Which I still look back on with fond memories now that its over.

I'm hopefully back in for my 4th edition, having missed 2009.
    Are you going to dust off Paziuk as an homage to 2008?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Yes. However I believe for a event of this magnitude one should make their training harder then the event will be. So one should be looking the nastiest lines they can find.

Unfortunately it wasn't this year as Paul's would have been excellent training.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast