Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    No. Just No.

Crank the Shield 2014 Official Thread of Doom

While there have been a few random postings here, it seems that CTS 2014 is now official. Registration is live already, although the event details posted still have some items TBA when they have it all sorted out.

Crank The Shield | Register

Wonder if the same camp format from 2012 will be retained instead of the camp-to-camp transfer after day 2, like 2008/09/10?

mtbr member
    Bummer that it's in the unpredictable Fall season.

mtbr member
    That's interesting. Never done Crank the Sheild, may think about it next year though... good warm up to the Transylvania Epic....
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyh83 View Post
    That's interesting. Never done Crank the Sheild, may think about it next year though... good warm up to the Transylvania Epic....
    Both are super-fun and highly recommended.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I volunteer to ride the Beta trials bike that will follow Unglued with all the supplies he will need.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    follow Unglued with all the supplies he will need.
    Such as plaster and fibreglass?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Such as plaster and fibreglass?
    Gun tape, patch kits, tubes, Gun tape, 8 liters of Bactine, Paracetamol, tubes, front wheel, rear wheel,.....

No. Just No.
    Gun tape, patch kits, tubes, Gun tape, 8 liters of Bactine, Paracetamol, tubes, front wheel, rear wheel,.....
    If I find myself back for this event, I'm going to rig up a grease gun fitting to my bars as a remote with tubing to reapply chamois cream in the necessary places on the fly. I have been known to overdo the stuff a bit. I recall on the start line of a CTS day two (2008?) one of our fellow forum members was quite vocal in pointing out that I was already getting some "seepage" from what admittedly may have been overapplication.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    If I find myself back for this event, I'm going to rig up a grease gun fitting to my bars as a remote with tubing to reapply chamois cream in the necessary places on the fly. I have been known to overdo the stuff a bit. I recall on the start line of a CTS day two (2008?) one of our fellow forum members was quite vocal in pointing out that I was already getting some "seepage" from what admittedly may have been overapplication.
    I think we already knew you where of the tender sort. But thank you for for confirming this fact.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Stop, stop, now! No nightmares for me tonight please. As for the ride I'm glad it's back on. I read up on it a year back only to find out it was cancelled for 2013.

Now I have a whole year to regain fitness, find some more fitness, and stay healthy joint wise. The insanity of 3 days of racing somehow appeals to my mind despite my mid pack performances over the years, but don't ask me why.

2012 brought 6 months of bursitis on my right kneecap from hitting a rock and then my handlebar about 3 months later.

2013 on March 8th I fell over into a bush (riding of course) and tore the volar plate of my right index finger. It is almost better as of today but remains 90% functional at best. Very likely permanently disfigured too.

Oh, and I turn 50 next week......

Drew
    occasional cyclist

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    Stop, stop, now! No nightmares for me tonight please.
    I'm sensing that you would prefer me to start a separate thread entitled "Chamois Cream 2014 Official Thread of Doom".

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Stop, stop, now! No nightmares for me tonight please.
    Hmm... nightmare? Easy..invite the crusher of souls Phil Chew to show up.

Cyclist proves it's all about focus - Victoria News

mtbr member
    You've got me confused, Tyler.
    The Transylvania Epic is in May and CTS is in September.

mtbr member
    Hmm... nightmare? Easy..invite the crusher of souls Phil Chew to show up.

Cyclist proves it's all about focus - Victoria News
    This makes me realize what a lazy ba$tard I am.

Evil Jr.
    Stop, stop, now! No nightmares for me tonight please. As for the ride I'm glad it's back on. I read up on it a year back only to find out it was cancelled for 2013.

Now I have a whole year to regain fitness, find some more fitness, and stay healthy joint wise. The insanity of 3 days of racing somehow appeals to my mind despite my mid pack performances over the years, but don't ask me why.

2012 brought 6 months of bursitis on my right kneecap from hitting a rock and then my handlebar about 3 months later.

2013 on March 8th I fell over into a bush (riding of course) and tore the volar plate of my right index finger. It is almost better as of today but remains 90% functional at best. Very likely permanently disfigured too.

Drew
    Do it!

Name:  200x200px-ZC-e617ce02_benStillerDoIt.jpeg
Views: 8594
Size:  11.6 KB
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    If you would like to increase your preparedness for the 2014 edition. We have many..Bogs, Swamps, and marshes around I would be more then happy to take you for a training ride through.

All I ask is in return is donations to the 2014 Monstercross fund. I will even let you bunk on the floor.

sock puppet

Drew
    that all?

you have to work harder at really hurting yourself... i can show you how...
    Signature

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    maybe he is doing Transylvania Epic in 2015?
    Signature

No. Just No.
    If you would like to increase your preparedness for the 2014 edition. We have many..Bogs, Swamps, and marshes around I would be more then happy to take you for a training ride through.
    Ha - while that was a fair description of much of the inaugural 2008 edition of CTS, the route has evolved significantly since then thanks to Sean and crew. The trail mix was great last time I participated in 2010, and even dry enough to be dusty in a lot of spots. Some water crossings here and there to give people the real deal experience of riding on a few less groomed trails is a good thing!

mtbr member
    Gonna do the Transylvanian the following year (2015)... the same race you are coming to Jean!
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ha - while that was a fair description of much of the inaugural 2008 edition of CTS, the route has evolved significantly since then thanks to Sean and crew. The trail mix was great last time I participated in 2010, and even dry enough to be dusty in a lot of spots. Some water crossings here and there to give people the real deal experience of riding on a few less groomed trails is a good thing!
    true story, in 2012 the course was much different than the inaugural 2008 "Wade Boggs" edition. Which I still look back on with fond memories now that its over.

lots more MTB specific singletrack and I think there's more for next year. I'm hopefully back in for my 4th edition, having missed 2009.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I was lucky enough to be a sweep rider last year and and it was an amazing weekend. Probably the best time I've had on the bike. Even the Friday where I rode 6hrs in the rain and only made it to aid station 2 was great.

There were only 2 water crossings (crossing the same place twice). So much amazing singletrack including Sir Sams and The Glebe Trails, and surprisingly awesome section of doubletrack. There is also a long hike-a-bike that leads to the best feedstation location ever.

I hope to go back but I was planning on organizing an event the same day. Pretty bummed. I wanted to race it this year.

mtbr member
    Gonna do the Transylvanian the following year (2015)... the same race you are coming to Jean!
    2015... got it.

I don't know about Transylvanian, too many Vampires.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    true story, in 2012 the course was much different than the inaugural 2008 "Wade Boggs" edition. Which I still look back on with fond memories now that its over.

I'm hopefully back in for my 4th edition, having missed 2009.
    Are you going to dust off Paziuk as an homage to 2008?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Yes. However I believe for a event of this magnitude one should make their training harder then the event will be. So one should be looking the nastiest lines they can find.

Unfortunately it wasn't this year as Paul's would have been excellent training.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Are you going to dust off Paziuk as an homage to 2008?
    That would be a mission to get him out for it, but I'd do it with Paz in a heartbeat again.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm sensing that you would prefer me to start a separate thread entitled "Chamois Cream 2014 Official Thread of Doom".
    Circlip, you need to start the thread in the OC. That is where all the freaks who would like such a thread post. They will then turn it into a thread in the Passion forum, called 'chamois butter passion' to offend the sensibilities of the 'normals' who post there.

I'm sure too, that you are somewhat acquainted with Tone's? I'm 'freak lite' compared to him.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    that all?

you have to work harder at really hurting yourself... i can show you how...
    Don't worry Oggie, I remember your gimped up body from back in 2010.

I was attempting to crawl out of O-cup mid pack mediocrity in sport at the time and recall all the posts and pictures of some really fast expert guy who bit it, bad. You were in a halo I do believe?

Drew
    occasional cyclist

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil

All I ask is in return is donations to the 2014 Monstercross fund. I will even let you bunk on the floor.
    If I go and the event looks like it will be wet I might bring my Alfine equipped bike. I'm guessing regular drivetrains would be suffering mid way through the 1st day?

Drew
    occasional cyclist

No. Just No.
    If I go and the event looks like it will be wet I might bring my Alfine equipped bike. I'm guessing regular drivetrains would be suffering mid way through the 1st day?
    Drivetrains were no big dealio. When it was wet, it was wet enough to keep washing away contaminants, and the tread was usually decomp rather than clay-based so not really sticky.

Brake pads were another issue. If it's wet, start each day with fresh pads installed and broken in the night before, and consider even bringing spare pads in your pack. Better to stop and take a couple of minutes to pop in new pads, then proceed as normal, rather than having to ride for extended periods with limited braking.

No. Just No.
    Circlip, you need to start the thread in the OC. That is where all the freaks who would like such a thread post. They will then turn it into a thread in the Passion forum, called 'chamois butter passion' to offend the sensibilities of the 'normals' who post there.

I'm sure too, that you are somewhat acquainted with Tone's? I'm 'freak lite' compared to him.
    If Tone's gets a hold of this thread we're all truly doomed. He's been an occasional visitor to E-C at times. Yes, I am also familiar with his larger body of work in OC and other places. Love that wacky Aussie, but he's got his own style for sure.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Wow. I don't ride in the wet ever so that surprises me. Basically the grit wears them down in a day of riding? The last time I rode/raced in the wet was the Kelso O-cup in 1998, and I was still running cantilevers......

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Brake pads were another issue. If it's wet, start each day with fresh pads installed and broken in the night before, and consider even bringing spare pads in your pack. Better to stop and take a couple of minutes to pop in new pads, then proceed as normal, rather than having to ride for extended periods with limited braking.
    Spoke to a guy after Paul's. He ran out of pads. He has observed that pads with steel backing are far better then one's with aluminium.

No. Just No.
    Spoke to a guy after Paul's. He ran out of pads. He has observed that pads with steel backing are far better then one's with aluminium.
    How about just having pads with actual braking material still left on them? Having to decide whether you're going to get better braking out of the steel backing or Alum backing after all the pad material is gone is really aiming for the bottom of the barrel (not that I disagree with the suggestion of steel-backed pads as a failsafe)

Wow. I don't ride in the wet ever so that surprises me. Basically the grit wears them down in a day of riding?
    Oh ya, better believe it. In the right (wrong?) conditions you could easily go from new pads to bare backings in a couple of hours of XC riding. Ask a few hundred people from CTS 2008 how they know this. It's not just XC though, the same can easily happen with a day of DH, or even within the quick duration of a cyclo-cross race.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    How about just having pads with actual braking material still left on them? Having to decide whether you're going to get better braking out of the steel backing or Alum backing after all the pad material is gone is really aiming for the bottom of the barrel (not that I disagree with the suggestion of steel-backed pads as a failsafe)

Oh ya, better believe it. In the right (wrong?) conditions you could easily go from new pads to bare backings in a couple of hours of XC riding. Ask a few hundred people from CTS 2008 how they know this. It's not just XC though, the same can easily happen with a day of DH, or even within the quick duration of a cyclo-cross race.
    This was what pads looked like after 40k of Grit at Paul's.

So my recommendation is to invest in about 5 sets to carry as spares. Also ensure they are the metallic type. Organic dies at a rapid rate under those conditions.

mtbr member

RE: Crank the Shield 2014 Official Thread of Doom

Would the usefulness of a dropper post outweigh the potential for reliability issues for CTS?
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg View Post
    Would the usefulness of a dropper post outweigh the potential for reliability issues for CTS?
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
    Hmm....I would say stick to a regular type seatpost.

Now for the real discussion.

27.5 or 650B or 29er the best wheel size?

No. Just No.
    This was what pads looked like after 40k of Grit at Paul's.
    You know that you don't have to come to a full and complete stop at every corner on the trails, right?

mtbr member
    From what I recall of Haliburton and looking at the 3 stages from 2010 with mostly atv trails and double track/fire roads i think a 29er is the way to go if you don't have a trusty steed already.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    You know that you don't have to come to a full and complete stop at every corner on the trails, right?
    You could actually hear your pads being ground down by the grit. It could be best described as classic British grim winter conditions.

From what I recall of Haliburton and looking at the 3 stages from 2010 with mostly atv trails and double track/fire roads i think a 29er is the way to go if you don't have a trusty steed already.
    So, the best option would be Slash 5's Inbred maybe with a short travel for then.

No. Just No.
    i think a 29er is the way to go
    As a luddite user of 26" wheels only, I think I can add clarity to this discussion by stating unequivocally that some riders on 29ers were ahead of me, and other riders on 29ers were behind me.

See what I did there?

mtbr member
    As a luddite user of 26" wheels only, I think I can add clarity to this discussion by stating unequivocally that some riders on 29ers were ahead of me, and other riders on 29ers were behind me.

See what I did there?
    Ah, but that is because you already had a trusty steed; dont forget the conditional component of my sage advice; it was meant to be read in its entirety.

No. Just No.
    it was meant to be read in its entirety.
    If I did that my attempts to obfuscate and inappropriately isolate context from your original post wouldn't work though.

No. Just No.
    So, the best option would be Slash 5's Inbred maybe with a short travel for then.
    Drop bars (even the Midge) with roadie-style hood brakes for CTS would be a very interesting experience IMHO. I would guess a lot of hardship arising from that setup.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Drop bars (even the Midge) with roadie-style hood brakes for CTS would be a very interesting experience IMHO. I would guess a lot of hardship arising from that setup.
    Should be doable based on Shiggy's pictures I have seen. But based on the video starting at 2:46 definitely.

No. Just No.
    Should be doable based on Shiggy's pictures I have seen. But based on the video starting at 2:46 definitely.
    I'm also sure it is doable by the right rider, but suggesting that a drop bar setup is the preferred configuration based on a general description of a course heavy in ATV and fire roads would be a serious mistake. It ain't no gravel grinder. Many of the ATV sections are more challenging than the vast majority of singletrack in Ontario. But to each their own. If someone really wants to do CTS on a gravel grinder rig I'll be the first one to be there clapping for them at the end.

mtbr member
    Different race altogether in 2012 too as a lot of the Stage 2 atv trails were deleted. To my dismay as I personally love them. However, there was some fantastic new singletrack as noted in the thread added. I understand there's some more changes coming as they tweak the trails, venues, and other details.

For anyone on the fence...If you have any friends doing this, or can convince anyone to join you on a team, or as individuals to share the experience, it's a fantastic value to challenge yourself, experience some unique trails, and spend a few days with like-minded bike racers in the bush enjoying swapping riding tales and some great food and event hosts. I will be back for sure for the fifth time, and have already reserved a spot on the Public Relations Department calendar.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I'm also sure it is doable by the right rider, but suggesting that a drop bar setup is the preferred configuration based on a general description of a course heavy in ATV and fire roads would be a serious mistake. It ain't no gravel grinder. Many of the ATV sections are more challenging than the vast majority of singletrack in Ontario. But to each their own. If someone really wants to do CTS on a gravel grinder rig I'll be the first one to be there clapping for them at the end.
    Actually I would call Shiggy's set ups more Monster Cross...think Jacquie Phelan. Less Gravel.

And for those lurking. Circlip is right about the ATV track. Most ATV track out in the woods is all rutted out from the ATV's. Dips, Ruts, and so on from them riding when it's is truly a mess. You do take a beating from it. And if it is wet like it has been up here and you have the wrong tire set up it can get unentertaining.

No. Just No.
    And for those lurking. Circlip is right about the ATV track.
    There's just a wee bit of Canadian Shield rock slabs to deal with also.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    There's just a wee bit of Canadian Shield rock slabs to deal with also.
    Yep.

And as I slight thread jack. If I had a choice to stay here or move to the area where the pic was taken at the end of this VBall season it would be easy to make.

http://bb.nsmb.com/attachment.php?at...2&d=1381930194
    Last edited by Enduramil; 10-17-2013 at 10:49 PM.

mtbr member
    And for those lurking. Circlip is right about the ATV track. Most ATV track out in the woods is all rutted out from the ATV's. Dips, Ruts, and so on from them riding when it's is truly a mess. You do take a beating from it. And if it is wet like it has been up here and you have the wrong tire set up it can get unentertaining.
    QFT. Having ridden numerous ATV trails on my MTB in Northern Ontario, most of these trails are brutal.
    Aside from the ruts and bogs caused by the ATVs themselves, the trails are "built" by people who have no idea how
    to properly build a sustainable trail.
    Thus, the riding through swamps, erosion... etc

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    QFT. Having ridden numerous ATV trails on my MTB in Northern Ontario, most of these trails are brutal.
    Aside from the ruts and bogs caused by the ATVs themselves, the trails are "built" by people who have no idea how
    to properly build a sustainable trail.
    Thus, the riding through swamps, erosion... etc
    A ATV track water hole is always deeper then it appears. Can swallow ATV's whole.

mtbr member
    A ATV track water hole is always deeper then it appears. Can swallow ATV's whole.
    That's what exhaust extention pipes are for.

Lemmy Rules!
    I did 2010 on a rigid Singlespeed. Suffered mightily on day 1. Days 2 and 3 were better. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

PS bring spare brake pads
    Strava made me do it....

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Gearing is one thing I'm wondering about.

The 26er has a bash right now but it would take about 2 seconds to change it back to 44 tooth. But is there even a need to do this? My middle has me spinning 100 rpm at 20 mph. Are there lots of gravel road sections where you'd be cranking higher than 20 mph for extended periods?

The Alfine 29er has a low gear of 30 x 38 and a high gear of 30 x 12.4. I wish it was a little lower geared sometimes. The low is equivalent to a 24 x 28 on a 26er. My 26er has a low of 24 x 34 by comparison.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Lemmy Rules!
    Gearing is one thing I'm wondering about.

The 26er has a bash right now but it would take about 2 seconds to change it back to 44 tooth. But is there even a need to do this? My middle has me spinning 100 rpm at 20 mph. Are there lots of gravel road sections where you'd be cranking higher than 20 mph for extended periods?

The Alfine 29er has a low gear of 30 x 38 and a high gear of 30 x 12.4. I wish it was a little lower geared sometimes. The low is equivalent to a 24 x 28 on a 26er. My 26er has a low of 24 x 34 by comparison.

Drew
    The year I did it there were a couple of road sections where a taller gear would have definitely been welcome
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Really nice to see this back on the calendar. I've done it three times and, as others have mentioned, the last (2012) edition was really a pretty different race than the swampy years prior. They really seemed to have things dialed -- one summer camp for both nights, lots of singletrack, no real bogs, all the best elements of the past years. Nothing at all to complain about.

mtbr member
    Even though I'm a "fair weather" rider, I'm seriously considering this race.
    I just have to convince Mrs. Roll, regarding the entry-fee.

mtbr member
    Five weeks until this beauty of an event in the race calendar...Finally got my slow @ss in gear and registered last night even though it was long on the calendar. Figured it was time to get it on the radar on the forum again.

Any newbies to the event? Anyone still on the fence? It will no doubt be an epic three days of riding, especially with some continued upgrades from Sean and his team. Looking forward to a wicked event!

No. Just No.
    I will be missing out on yet another edition of CTS. Second time in a row after hitting the first three. Sucks! I had hoped some unknown reason for me to have to come to ON, aside from CTS itself, would pop up but with only five weeks to go I'm not seeing any opportunity yet.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Iíll be there (as a sweep). Did my first in 2012 and it is by far the most fun Iíve had at an event. Even riding for 6hrs in the rain on day 1 was a blast.

The people are awesome, trails are great and the beer is cold.

mtbr member
    This will be my first ever CTS, looking forward to it, and also a little afraid. I've been wanting to do this event for many years and I feel like I finally have the fitness to complete it.

Any recommendations on single speed gearing? Was planning on running gears that I would use for a normal Ontario mountain bike race. I figure it's a trade off knowing that I'll be slow on the fast sections, but still minimize the uphill/technical section walking.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    This will be my first ever CTS, looking forward to it, and also a little afraid. I've been wanting to do this event for many years and I feel like I finally have the fitness to complete it.

Any recommendations on single speed gearing? Was planning on running gears that I would use for a normal Ontario mountain bike race. I figure it's a trade off knowing that I'll be slow on the fast sections, but still minimize the uphill/technical section walking.

I think that is the right call. Yes, there are some wide open road sections where you will be spinning like a gerbil. At the same time, though, there is a lot of tough climbing and if it rains, there will be a lot of thick mud to slog through. A lower gearing is the way to go so you can actually ride your bike during the fun parts, and then you can spin to recover on the gravel trails and road sections.

FWIW I did CTS, which was my first race of its kind, with a 32:19, and didn't feel undergeared. Garage Monster and Nerdgirl also did the race the same year as me and I think were running similar ratios (GM at 32:18 and NG at 32:20, I think).
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I think that is the right call. Yes, there are some wide open road sections where you will be spinning like a gerbil. At the same time, though, there is a lot of tough climbing and if it rains, there will be a lot of thick mud to slog through. A lower gearing is the way to go so you can actually ride your bike during the fun parts, and then you can spin to recover on the gravel trails and road sections.

FWIW I did CTS, which was my first race of its kind, with a 32:19, and didn't feel undergeared. Garage Monster and Nerdgirl also did the race the same year as me and I think were running similar ratios (GM at 32:18 and NG at 32:20, I think).
    Thanks for the info, I normally run a 34:18 for my weekly race series but may consider 34:20 for CTS. I can always change it up after day 1 if needed.

Lemmy Rules!
    I run 34:18 typically, but did solo SS at the Mansfield epic 8 this spring. It was too tall a gear to ride efficiently on hilly terrain all day. I would imagine that CTS would be the same. Everyone is different and as far as I know, I don't know who you are, so you may be more of a masher and less of a spinner than me, but it sounds like you are in the right ballpark, and either way, CTS is an awesome event.

My only suggestion is to switch out the ratio a couple of weeks out so that you know for sure that your rear cog will play nicely with your old chain and chainring.
    Strava made me do it....

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Unglued is right about the ratios that Mr. Monster and I ran, but I should note - those were the ratios we ran for everything. I'm of a "run what you brung" mentality - SSing is supposed to be simple! The really steep stuff isn't rideable anyway. I guess it depends if your plan is to have fun or to go as fast as you can...

It really is a good time - you'll love it! I even loved the hurricane mud year!

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    I even loved the hurricane mud year!
    Post-hurricaine CTS year 1 in '08 was awesome! At least that's the way I remember it now.

mtbr member
    I guess it depends if your plan is to have fun or to go as fast as you can...
    I set a goal at the start of the year to finish CTS on my single speed, and hopefully enjoy it along the way. I know that there will be several other SS riders much faster than me, so no podium aspirations. Based on that, 34:20 seems like the best option.

Unglued, the drive train will either be my existing and battle tested (well worn) setup, or all new depending on delivery of recently ordered parts. Either way, no new parts going on the bike in the last few weeks unless something breaks.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    I set a goal at the start of the year to finish CTS on my single speed, and hopefully enjoy it along the way. I know that there will be several other SS riders much faster than me, so no podium aspirations. Based on that, 34:20 seems like the best option.

Unglued, the drive train will either be my existing and battle tested (well worn) setup, or all new depending on delivery of recently ordered parts. Either way, no new parts going on the bike in the last few weeks unless something breaks.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    I found that I could wade through the chest-deep puddles while carrying my bike just as quickly on a 32:19 as Nerdgirl did on her 32:20....
    Strava made me do it....

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I found that I could wade through the chest-deep puddles while carrying my bike just as quickly on a 32:19 as Nerdgirl did on her 32:20....
    I dunno - I think I totally chicked you in the puddles...

sock puppet
    anyone can do that.

but only few could ride it.

and live to brag about it. the first CTS was a real adventure race. CTS2 was close second. others were a group ride through beautiful scenery with great food and beer after.

i have not missed one CTS yet. can't wait to start another one...
    Signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    anyone can do that.

but only few could ride it.

and live to brag about it. the first CTS was a real adventure race. CTS2 was close second. others were a group ride through beautiful scenery with great food and beer after.

i have not missed one CTS yet. can't wait to start another one...
    I can't believe you think the last CTS was just a group ride. I saw you at the end of stage 1 in some pain with half of your body scraped to the bone. ( bad fall on hydroline I think ).

mtbr member
    Minor flesh wounds don't affect Oggie
    Burnt Norton

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    Minor flesh wounds don't affect Oggie
    Once I saw someone try drop a nuclear bomb on Oggie, but he just caught it and threw it back.

mtbr member
    When Oggie goes pee, he clogs the toilet.

Oggie is the new Chuck Norris.

sock puppet

Crank the Shield 2014 Official Thread of Doom

When Oggie goes pee, he clogs the toilet.

Oggie is the new Chuck Norris.
    Lol... Jack - there you go.

When I went to the hospital and nurse wanted me in the surgery room asap - I said - sure but the doc must be done stitching me up before the winners ceremony starts.

Doc obliged. Needless to say.
    Signature

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Based on current underground water tables and rain patterns. I forecast mud for fall event conditions...think. Jens Voigt level.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Doing my first CTS this year - starting to get both excited and nervous! It's going to be my first stage race and my first time riding out east (I'm from Regina). I'm definitely a participant as opposed to a racer, and I'll likely be leading the sweep rider But I'm just hoping to enjoy the experience and have a good few days on my bike.

I may ask some questions of you guys as the event gets closer, both about the race and riding in Ontario.

mtbr member
    For the CTS veterans what are the tire recommendations: knobbier tires with traction or faster rolling? My two sets are aspen+ikon vs racing Ralph + nobby nic (both ss).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieMTB View Post
    Doing my first CTS this year - starting to get both excited and nervous! It's going to be my first stage race and my first time riding out east (I'm from Regina). I'm definitely a participant as opposed to a racer, and I'll likely be leading the sweep rider But I'm just hoping to enjoy the experience and have a good few days on my bike.

I may ask some questions of you guys as the event gets closer, both about the race and riding in Ontario.
    Feel free to ask as there are many of us here, myself included, that have raced in all of the editions of this race. It's an epic three days...Lot's of climbing with around 1000m per day, lot's of Canadian Shield, everyone cheering for each other, all rounded out by evenings sharing great food and memories of days that you just spent turning your body inside out off and on over the course of each day.

You may have periods of WTF was I thinking while you're riding or hiking your bike on the occasional time you do the latter. Those mental battles will be forgotten as you meet new friends, share experiences, and enjoy some longer days riding in this great terrain we don't often get to ride in. And Superfly Racing does a top notch job with all their events, so you won't be disappointed with organization, food, accommodations, or anything else.

Look forward to this event as it's a really, really, good one.

sock puppet
    For the CTS veterans what are the tire recommendations: knobbier tires with traction or faster rolling? My two sets are aspen+ikon vs racing Ralph + nobby nic (both ss).
    i would go with RaRa and NoNi... although you'd finish on the other set too...

my set will be RaRa and RoRo... or RaRa front and back...
    Signature

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Hey Prairie, I am from Saskatchewan (Rocanville), moved to Ontario 13.5 years ago. This will be my 3rd CTS. Happy to help if you have any questions.

All my faucets is Moen.
    When I did it 2012 I used Nobby Nicks and they preformed unbelieveably well. So much so that I'm buying another set just for this race (and winter riding)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So I've been going back-and-forth on getting the package where the bike mechanics clean & tune-up your bike. Have any of you used the service in the past, and is it worth it? I'm somewhat competent with basic maintenance. The big appeal is having someone else look after that when I don't feel like it after a long day. I guess the answer is "if it gives you some value, then yes it's worth it", but just looking for some experience with it.

Also, any thoughts on using Rocket Rons? I've never really given much thought to the tires (fairly new to the whole race thing), but am considering something with more protection. Especially since I suspect it's going to be rocky - not something I deal with at all here. I'm not worried about sacrificing speed - right now I'll get the most gains by working on the rider.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    No experience with the bike service package, but I'm a bit of a tire nut and I've done CTS three times. I like low-knob tires like Specialized Fast Trak, Maxxis Ikon, Racing Ralph, Rocket Ron etc. If you're not concerned with rolling resistance on the many road/doubletrack bits then certainly go knobbier. I do recommend a fairly durable casing like Maxxis EXO or Specialized Control or Grid. Schwalbe's EVO casing doesn't like rocks at all. It's a fast rolling construction but it tears quite easily compared to their Snakeskin tires. This race isn't Quebec-nasty, but it's certainly not Albion Hills. And you'll be out there for 12hrs or something... A bit more durability isn't a bad thing.

Lemmy Rules!
    So I've been going back-and-forth on getting the package where the bike mechanics clean & tune-up your bike. Have any of you used the service in the past, and is it worth it? I'm somewhat competent with basic maintenance. The big appeal is having someone else look after that when I don't feel like it after a long day. I guess the answer is "if it gives you some value, then yes it's worth it", but just looking for some experience with it.

Also, any thoughts on using Rocket Rons? I've never really given much thought to the tires (fairly new to the whole race thing), but am considering something with more protection. Especially since I suspect it's going to be rocky - not something I deal with at all here. I'm not worried about sacrificing speed - right now I'll get the most gains by working on the rider.
    WHen I did CTS in 2010, I was on a singlespeed (ie low maintenance, not much to go wrong). I bought the maintenance package and felt a bit guilty having done so, but am here to tell you that after a long day on the trails, the last thing you will feel like doing is breaking down and cleaning up your bike only to get it just as muddy the next day. The maintenance package is money well spent and if I were to do this race again I would not hesitate to purchase it.

And yes, RoRo's are a good tire choice. There is likely to be quite a bit of mud on the course and roros shed mud well while having decent rolling resistance for the road and gravel sections.
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    No experience with the bike service package, but I'm a bit of a tire nut and I've done CTS three times. I like low-knob tires like Specialized Fast Trak, Maxxis Ikon, Racing Ralph, Rocket Ron etc. If you're not concerned with rolling resistance on the many road/doubletrack bits then certainly go knobbier. I do recommend a fairly durable casing like Maxxis EXO or Specialized Control or Grid. Schwalbe's EVO casing doesn't like rocks at all. It's a fast rolling construction but it tears quite easily compared to their Snakeskin tires. This race isn't Quebec-nasty, but it's certainly not Albion Hills. And you'll be out there for 12hrs or something... A bit more durability isn't a bad thing.
    raced every single Crank the Shield on Racing Ralphs. Last year had Fast Track on the rear wheel when it lost traction on the rock plateau which resulted in a nice spill that ended my race after the day 1. It was my mistake, not blaming the tire, but Racing Ralphs are going back on the rear wheel as well this year.

I am yet to flat or slice Racing Ralphs... Maybe i was just lucky... Maybe the tires are not bad and it is the rider factor...

Maybe both.

Rocket Ron is a good front option as well.

I could live with Maxxis Ikon as well. It's a good rear tire for the race.

After being a tire junkie for a number of years and labouring over the tire choice before every ride including grocery shopping i have come to realization that tire choice is overrated. This season i have been racing mostly on RaRa in the back and RoRo front. Other option is RaRa front and back. This is the set it and forget it combo and can survive just about any race.

Now if you ask me clipless or flat - that will get me going...
    Signature

sock puppet
    WHen I did CTS in 2010, .....
    When i was a young man.....
    Signature

Lemmy Rules!
    raced every single Crank the Shield on Racing Ralphs. Last year had Fast Track on the rear wheel when it lost traction on the rock plateau which resulted in a nice spill that ended my race after the day 1. It was my mistake, not blaming the tire, but Racing Ralphs are going back on the rear wheel as well this year.

I am yet to flat or slice Racing Ralphs... Maybe i was just lucky... Maybe the tires are not bad and it is the rider factor...

Maybe both.

Rocket Ron is a good front option as well.

I could live with Maxxis Ikon as well. It's a good rear tire for the race.

After being a tire junkie for a number of years and labouring over the tire choice before every ride including grocery shopping i have come to realization that tire choice is overrated. This season i have been racing mostly on RaRa in the back and RoRo front. Other option is RaRa front and back. This is the set it and forget it combo and can survive just about any race.

...er, didn't you mean to say that Continental X-kings are the best tire choice?

And also, exactly which tires does the Bosnian Bullet recommend for grocery runs?
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet
    ...er, didn't you mean to say that Continental X-kings are the best tire choice?

And also, exactly which tires does the Bosnian Bullet recommend for grocery runs?
    hmm, you got me thinking now, and that ain't good.

though i am sure your question was a bit of a teaser, i will give it full attention, just because that's the kind of person i am. caring and gentle.

for someone who casually races and does a lot of trail riding - Continental X-King Racesport with black chilli compound are some of the best tire choices.

for someone who is more into racing, it is shame if they don't have two sets of wheels, at least. but if they don't and want to have same tires for half serious racing and some trail riding - Rocket Ron or Racing Ralphs are a great choice.

i would consider RaRa rear and RoRo front some of the best tire combo for just about everything. of course - they are not the cheapest tires, but you get what you pay for, in most cases...

ain't i nice mr unglued? c'mon... talk dirty to me...
    Signature

Lemmy Rules!
    It was uphill. Both ways.
    Strava made me do it....

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I never change my tires and I've never sliced a sidewall - I run Racing Ralphs. There is a lot of rock (lovely sweet granite outcrops) on the CTS course, but it is not sharp (not like Pennsylvania), so I wouldn't be too concerned about it, unless you have a history of being rough on your tires.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Do the Brett Tippie method...one side clips while the other side flats. That way you have both angles covered.

No. Just No.
    I never change my tires and I've never sliced a sidewall - I run Racing Ralphs. There is a lot of rock (lovely sweet granite outcrops) on the CTS course, but it is not sharp (not like Pennsylvania), so I wouldn't be too concerned about it, unless you have a history of being rough on your tires.
    Same here. I ran Ralphs (standard EVO casing, not Snakeskin) set up tubeless via Stan's for the first 3 editions of CTS, over 30 hours of trail time in "race mode" with respect to line choices, and never had a tire issue or flat, but YMMV. Mostly round-ish rocks, not sharp rocks although if you hit one hard enough you'll still pinch flat.

mtbr member
    I've only been riden in Haliburton once at the Wildlife Centre that CTS goes through/starts/ends with. I recall the NorthShore trail being aptly named. Outside of the Wildlife Centre are there any other trails as gnarly or close to as NorthShore (and that other one that goes up and up but with a sweet decent at the end of stage 3)?

What are most of the trails like outside of the Wildlife centre? Lots of those rutted bog-you down ATV trails?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I could be convinced to do another CTS, but alas, it's during Interbike. Maybe the next edition will get more sympathy from the scheduling gods.
    2015 Scott Foil Team Issue
    2015 Kona Process 111
    2015 Salsa Mukluk 2

I am employed by a bike shop.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishExperiment View Post
    I could be convinced to do another CTS, but alas, it's during Interbike. Maybe the next edition will get more sympathy from the scheduling gods.
    do the right thing and send someone else to Interbike.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Same here. I ran Ralphs (standard EVO casing, not Snakeskin) set up tubeless via Stan's for the first 3 editions of CTS, over 30 hours of trail time in "race mode" with respect to line choices, and never had a tire issue or flat, but YMMV. Mostly round-ish rocks, not sharp rocks although if you hit one hard enough you'll still pinch flat.
    What psi were you using? How would one pinch flat with tubeless?

No. Just No.
    What psi were you using?
    Set up approximately 24psi front, 26psi rear on 100mm travel F/R, 2.25 Evo Ralphs (not UST) with Stans/Notubes, rider weight ~145lbs before gearing up.

How would one pinch flat with tubeless?
    If you bottom out hard enough on a rock strike sidewalls can get damaged and cause a hole, much the same as happens with a tube. Usually a result of rider error of the same type that can flat spot a rim i.e. some combo of pushing the pace, getting fatigued on multiple days of racing, following another rider closely and not getting a full view ahead, poor visibility from angle of sun, etc. these things can sometimes happen with XC race tires that have lighter casings and thinner sidewalls. With tires than have more sidewall protection you'd almost certainly damage the rim at the same time if you were hit something hard enough to damage the tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Can't believe this is only a few days away! It seems like it was only recently that it was -40 out and I thought "Gee, 3 days of biking in Ontario sounds like fun, I should sign up!"

I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I'd hoped to find a partner to ride with, but I guess solo it is. Can't go wrong with 3 days of riding with people who love it just as much, and probably more for some, than I do.

Hope to meet some of you guys there. I'll be the deer-in-the-headlights girl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast