Looking for Adventure

Crank The Shield The New Crown Jewel of Ontario

I would like to give Adam and Sean a well deserved standing ovation on a separate post here. They have reached new heights of genius in putting together an event this large, and doing it right the first time. Many organizers take years to get it right. They have put an event on the Ontario calendar that is bigger than big, better than the best. This event is a true test of a mountain bikers will to survive, to conquer, to succeed. Finishing this event without losing your mind, your bike, or your body is success in itself. It was 3 times harder than I expected.

I cursed, I wept, I smiled, I chatted with other riders, I went into a coma, I hammered, I teetered, I fell, I nailed it, and I almost threw my bike into a muddy bog. But I still had enough determination to make a last kick to the finish every day. I had to summon all my inner resources to finish this race in a respectable placing. I was so tired just after the last stage that I fell over on my back as I was crouching down to open up my camelback.

The accommodations were superb, the food excellent, the racers a pleasure to be around, the views and scenery along the way….excellent, the customer service…5 stars, and even listening to Adam and Sean address the crowd was entertaining in itself.

Adam and Sean, you got this one nailed right. Spread the word around the world. Word has already spread across this country to B.C.
    Oh, and one more thing…….could you have one less muddy bog in the next race, pretty please.

Andrew Watson of the Barrie Cycling Club and Norco team said that "This is what Ontario needed to move forward with racing!" I couldn't agree more.
    Last edited by Ricksom; 09-23-2008 at 07:38 AM.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Crank the Shield -Post Race

I agree, The chico racing crew (props to everyone), did an awsome job. This was
    my first event like this and wow, what a weekend. The mega mud was somewhat
    un-expected, but I carried, pushed, dragged my way through it and woo hoo I did it!

Considering the the logistics required to pull something like this off must be staggering.

Day 1: 70 km 954m of elevation
    Day 2: 82 km 1050m elev.
    Day 3: 67 km 1394m of elev.

Met some great new people, I'll likely be remembered as the guy with the floatation device
    on his back....well.. at least I'll be remembered. Sweet...

Again, a big well done to all those involved.