Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: crack is whack

humber river advocate

crack is whack

aha, this explains a lot on the mayors policy towards bicycles...

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford in 'crack cocaine' video scandal | Toronto Star
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    aha, this explains a lot on the mayors policy towards bicycles...

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford in 'crack cocaine' video scandal | Toronto Star
    There's a good chance this vid is legit, but the story that goes with it is so implausible.

A male and female reporter agree to get into the vehicle of a drug dealer (or just a druggie), leaving her purse, no phones, and agree to go to an undisclosed location (with her in the front seat) in an unknown vehicle to meet an unknown drug dealer to watch a video of Rob Ford smoking crack?

Who would do that? That does NOT pass the sniff test.

They then sat on this story for weeks and only now published it because some tabloid website did too? But they didn't do it to avoid being scooped, they did it only because they also met with these dealer(s).

humber river advocate
    Support TORBA

ups and downs
    Bob and Doug McKenzie would have likely been crazed anti-social characters if they were crack heads instead of beer drinking hosers.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

sore member
    That's an interesting find.

I read somewhere that the cost to build a single city intersection with networked traffic lights, crosswalks, and induction loops runs about $1 million. Now multiply that figure by all the signaled intersections in Toronto. $1.2 million for 380 bike parking spots, showers, and change rooms is a pittance by comparison.

sore member

"Maybe he's cleaning up the city... by smoking all the crack in it."

lulz:

pin it
    Jon Stewart cracks me up!

"Oh my god, I never want to hurt a bike. That’s the last thing I want to do, precious little bikes."

Quote of the Day: ?Oh my God, I never want to hurt a bike!? says Rob Ford | Posted Toronto | National Post
    Last edited by cyclelicious; 05-22-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: too quick on the reply
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Chicken or egg? Moderator
    Some posts now deleted. If you're going to post in this thread at all, at least keep some focus on relevant cycling issues here please. If that strays too far, I will have to "bin" the whole thread as being primarily political (not allowed on mtbr).

Or, if it's certain posters that can't lay off, I may have to "bin" them instead.

Dorkimus Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Or, if it's certain posters that can't lay off, I may have to "bin" them instead.
    There goes the West Coaster shaking his big, Douglas Fur, stick at us. Here in the epicentre of Canada Rob Ford is equivalent to anti-cycling. Very relevant on this forum because he doesn't mean to setback the status of cyclists, but to eliminate us from roads...

I don't care much about politics, but his position on cycling warrants ridicule on a cycling site.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Chicken or egg? Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    There goes the West Coaster shaking his big, Douglas Fur, stick at us.
    Sorry, didn't mean to frighten the children with my terrifying e-persona.

Dorkimus Prime
    Hehe.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Some posts now deleted. If you're going to post in this thread at all, at least keep some focus on relevant cycling issues here please. If that strays too far, I will have to "bin" the whole thread as being primarily political (not allowed on mtbr).

i would also add keep focus on the topic, and not use it as a vehicle/excuse for personal attacks on forum members...

we get enough of that at trail advocacy meetings.
    https://sites.google.com/a/gunter.ca...in-bike-policy

plus city councils around here are fed articles like this
    Ten cyclist sins | The Grid TO

it is a good thing that the anti-cycling camp has a crack developing. perhaps we can move forward again with cycling infrastructure not only in the major cities, but also in the suburbs.
    Support TORBA

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    There goes the West Coaster shaking his big, Douglas Fur, stick at us. Here in the epicentre of Canada Rob Ford is equivalent to anti-cycling. Very relevant on this forum because he doesn't mean to setback the status of cyclists, but to eliminate us from roads...

I don't care much about politics, but his position on cycling warrants ridicule on a cycling site.
    All based on the media and some claiming he hates cycling because he thought a couple of bike lanes location was a bad idea.

Reality is since he was elected there has been a shift in city bureaucracy. Problem is people would rather bulldoze lakeshore bike park and the 2 Scarborough bike path's if it meant getting rid of him.

Politicians don't care about doing the right thing or whether there is enough bike lanes. They only care about what it takes to get elected.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

humber river advocate
    actually that statement is false, within the bureaucracy there are many pro cycling champions. i have met/worked with city council members and higher level managers that support mountain biking and cycling. the trick is to seek them out and support them with regards to cycling advocacy. the downside right now is that the current mayor's office tends to label cycling advocates as leftest kooks/gravy-trainers and resorts to tactics (in some ways similar to what you do here) that derail/whitewash these issues/projects.

i think it is a testament and dedication of these managers/project leaders/councilors that we have several trail projects going forward that will benefit the mountain bike community despite of what is going on. i've actually have seen some of these project funding models/plans and it looks promising. i think we are in for a trail renaissance in the next couple of years.
    Support TORBA

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    actually that statement is false, within the bureaucracy there are many pro cycling champions. i have met/worked with city council members and higher level managers that support mountain biking and cycling. the trick is to seek them out and support them with regards to cycling advocacy. the downside right now is that the current mayor's office tends to label cycling advocates as leftest kooks/gravy-trainers and resorts to tactics (in some ways similar to what you do here) that derail/whitewash these issues/projects.

i think it is a testament and dedication of these managers/project leaders/councilors that we have several trail projects going forward that will benefit the mountain bike community despite of what is going on. i've actually have seen some of these project funding models/plans and it looks promising. i think we are in for a trail renaissance in the next couple of years.
    Since you missed the point I'll clear it up.

The current mentality occurring of endless negativity to which you are part of is the problem. All based on Rob Ford's statement made after his first election. Now everyone is completely focused on this Rob Ford hates cyclist's and is completely a negative hate machine. With no focus on other things like due to his being elected we are seeing a bike park, 2 bike paths in Scaborough, and the Lakeshore trail along the Scarborough Bluffs. Which would never have happened till this change. And are a huge deal for the communities that now have these.

I choose not to join this little negativity pity party. The statement I made about politician's and voting came from Mr Lincoln Alexander. Who also said one should also vote on the person who meets your personal needs at the time not on who everyone else is bashing or whatever. So using that logic if I was to vote at this time Rob Ford has met my cycling needs.

Reality is politicians are human to and have good and bad about them. Like all the rest of us who have faults and are kooks, oddballs, and such in our own little ways. It is human nature really. And thanks to the oddball Rob Ford being elected I have access to a bike path in Scarborough that now allows me to ride to the Rouge on a route that has less interaction with cars. And that is pretty good for me and the rest of the community I have seen using it.

Now enough of this negative nonsense. Time to go plan our future skills park.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Since you missed the point I'll clear it up.

The current mentality occurring of endless negativity to which you are part of is the problem. All based on Rob Ford's statement made after his first election. Now everyone is completely focused on this Rob Ford hates cyclist's and is completely a negative hate machine. With no focus on other things like due to his being elected we are seeing a bike park, 2 bike paths in Scaborough, and the Lakeshore trail along the Scarborough Bluffs. Which would never have happened till this change. And are a huge deal for the communities that now have these.

I choose not to join this little negativity pity party. The statement I made about politician's and voting came from Mr Lincoln Alexander. Who also said one should also vote on the person who meets your personal needs at the time not on who everyone else is bashing or whatever. So using that logic if I was to vote at this time Rob Ford has met my cycling needs.

Reality is politicians are human to and have good and bad about them. Like all the rest of us who have faults and are kooks, oddballs, and such in our own little ways. It is human nature really. And thanks to the oddball Rob Ford being elected I have access to a bike path in Scarborough that now allows me to ride to the Rouge on a route that has less interaction with cars. And that is pretty good for me and the rest of the community I have seen using it.

Now enough of this negative nonsense. Time to go plan our future skills park.
    Those bike lanes were built in spite of Rob Ford...he fought them to the bitter end. Read, Jarvis Street lanes.

This is what he really said:

“I can’t support bike lanes. … Roads are built for buses, cars and trucks. Not for people on bikes. And my heart bleeds for them when I hear someone gets killed, but it’s their own fault at the end of the day.”
    — March, 2007
    Statements during a council debate

Some other memorable Fordisms:

Rob Ford Quotes - Stop Rob Ford | stop rob ford

sheep in FOX clothing
    the Lakeshore trail along the Scarborough Bluffs. Which would never have happened till this change. And are a huge deal for the communities that now have these.
    The "trail" along the top of the bluffs is a weak network of street signs on existing meandering residential roads with dozens of stop signs per km.

The trail along the bottom of the bluffs was constructed mostly in the 70s and 80s to prevent millionaire's homes (that should never have been built there in the first place) from erosion they should have seen coming. And it was done on on the public (TRCA) dime. Bikes are just *allowed* there when they aren't filling in more of the lake with construction rubble.

I'm not saying I these projects weren't helpful or necessary, but let's not pretend we've built any real cycling infrastructure in south Scarborough, rather than just re-purposing something else.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01 View Post
    Those bike lanes were built in spite of Rob Ford...he fought them to the bitter end. Read, Jarvis Street lanes.

“I can’t support bike lanes. … Roads are built for buses, cars and trucks. Not for people on bikes. And my heart bleeds for them when I hear someone gets killed, but it’s their own fault at the end of the day.”
    — March, 2007

And just like all of today's elected figures..they all say dumb things and take weird positions.

And if I recall correctly there was something I heard about a skills park proposed for Ben Trash aka The old Beare Rd Dump. Which combined with other things proves that thanks to Rob Ford has created a change of mentality. This was straight from the city rep's mouth.

Regardless of whether Ford uses crack..though it does prove what I thought for 10 years. They are all on drugs. Besides with politicians involved all it leads to is riders fighting each other. As proven during other incidents, once they are removed/leaveit's amazing what can happen.

There have been some big changes for mountain bikers since 2007. Hopefully the city complete's the Lakeshore trail along the Scarborough Bluffs before Pan Am's. All thanks to guy's like Scott Laver.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    The "trail" along the top of the bluffs is a weak network of street signs on existing meandering residential roads with dozens of stop signs per km.

The trail along the bottom of the bluffs was constructed mostly in the 70s and 80s to prevent millionaire's homes (that should never have been built there in the first place) from erosion they should have seen coming. And it was done on on the public (TRCA) dime. Bikes are just *allowed* there when they aren't filling in more of the lake with construction rubble.

I'm not saying I these projects weren't helpful or necessary, but let's not pretend we've built any real cycling infrastructure in south Scarborough, rather than just re-purposing something else.
    Didn't you get the memo? No one rides bikes just like no one needs better transit in Scarborough.

I'm more thinking it would be more like the section between Rouge Hill station and Highland Creek water treatment plant. Wonder though if there will be anything put together near UofT Scarborough. Once they have the facility built in the next year.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

sheep in FOX clothing
    I'm more thinking it would be more like the section between Rouge Hill station and Highland Creek water treatment plant. Wonder though if there will be anything put together near UofT Scarborough. Once they have the facility built in the next year.
    As far as I know:

1. The section of truck road below Sylvan park is temporary and will be removed or allowed to be washed away by the Lake. (which is actually fine with me)

2. There is insufficient slope stability in the lower Gully to allow heavy vehicles (for regrading and resurfacing?) on the Doris McCarthy trail (which is very fine with me)

3. There are no plans to link the Meadowcliffe infill area through Cudia Park to Bluffers. (which would be kind of pointless anyways with the Lake washing the base of the bluffs at Sylvan and no Gully trail refinishing)

4. The section of the Highland Creek trail that washed away (months after being repaved) on the UoT Scarborough property has no known time frame for repair, and if the remaining dirt berm carry-over collapses, no viable detours. There used to be singletrack that allowed a bypass through the old Scarborough Campus toboggan hill walkway in the 1990s, but so many trees have fallen over that section I got lost last time I tried it.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    As far as I know:

3. There are no plans to link the Meadowcliffe infill area through Cudia Park to Bluffers. (which would be kind of pointless anyways with the Lake washing the base of the bluffs at Sylvan and no Gully trail refinishing)

Don't forget the high pitched whine that would come from those who own property near the edge of the Bluffs if the city wanted to try.

And I have heard a trail fairy has been busy building trail on the Bluffs in the last year.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

humber river advocate
    And thanks to the oddball Rob Ford being elected I have access to a bike path in Scarborough
    rob ford has nothing to do with adding bike lanes or bike parks... many of these projects where years in the making and predate his run in office. rather he is involved with there removal as posters here mentioned.

i think this quote sums up his attitude quite well towards cyclists...

“Cyclists are a pain in the ass.”

Then, after being told his words were unparliamentary: “I will retract the word ‘ass.’” May 25, 2009
    Support TORBA

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01 View Post

— March, 2007

choosing Jarvis to build bike lanes at the expense of one lane less for the vehicles was as dumb as building gas plants and then removing them at the cost of $600mil plus.

Ford was not against bike lanes - he was against bike lanes on Jarvis, as there are few other much better options that include less car travelled side streets. I agree completely with the removal of bike lanes on Jarvis.

Also, the bike parking and showers at the City Hall at the cost of $1.2 mil is a bad, bad idea. Any females here that would park their city bike in that area and then take a shower in unsupervised, public shower, at the time of day when there is not much traffic? Are you kidding me? I am sure this bike parking would be loaded with parked bikes between December and March, belonging to bike commuters who will commute to work on their bikes during winter as well...

This city simply does not have biking culture. We can not compare ourselves to Dutch or English or Swedish or some other European cities. Sure, there are few commuters on bicycles during the summer, but even that is a far cry in a multi million metropolis such as Toronto. Most of Toronto infrastructure can not accommodate bike lanes, whether we like it or not. New projects - by all means - but existing streets - must be thought out carefully.

For the handful of us who dream about bike lanes - it is an uphill battle as it is very hard to justify the need. Sure in theory - we can all speak politically correct language, mentioning carbon footprint, environment and other Suzuki-esque crap, but the reality is a bit different. If we lose the touch with reality, like Miller did - that will get us nowhere.

Now bike parks and trail systems are a whole another story and a different debate.

With regards to crack video - where is it? Once we all see it - then let's talk about it. Until then - what Toronto Star did - and they did it in the past multiple times as well - is dropped the journalistic ethics to the lowest level I have ever seen. They prostituted the paper so badly, trying to service those that can not get over the fact that Ford won the election in a landslide... Where is the democracy that we are thumping our collective chest about? This is a witch hunt at it's best, competing with the best days of USSR communism with Stalin and Khrushchev at their helm...

I did send few emails to Ford, regarding his perceived stance on cycling in the city and around it - and received responses from him directly, which I am happy with. I personally do not think Ford is anti-cyclist. He is just a messenger who is telling us the truth that we do not like. No need to shoot the messenger. If we push our agenda without reason, we are doing more damage to our cause than helping it.

If anyone sees the crack video - lemme know. If not, at least some here will get their money back from Gawker, eh?

Win-win.

cheers..
    Signature

sock puppet

well said...

good example of perceived pro-cycling governments who actually didn't give a crap about cycling... we are sheep... why not...
    Signature

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    choosing Jarvis to build bike lanes at the expense of one lane less for the vehicles was as dumb as building gas plants and then removing them at the cost of $600mil plus.

Ford was not against bike lanes - he was against bike lanes on Jarvis, as there are few other much better options that include less car travelled side streets. I agree completely with the removal of bike lanes on Jarvis.

Also, the bike parking and showers at the City Hall at the cost of $1.2 mil is a bad, bad idea. Any females here that would park their city bike in that area and then take a shower in unsupervised, public shower, at the time of day when there is not much traffic? Are you kidding me? I am sure this bike parking would be loaded with parked bikes between December and March, belonging to bike commuters who will commute to work on their bikes during winter as well...

This city simply does not have biking culture. We can not compare ourselves to Dutch or English or Swedish or some other European cities. Sure, there are few commuters on bicycles during the summer, but even that is a far cry in a multi million metropolis such as Toronto. Most of Toronto infrastructure can not accommodate bike lanes, whether we like it or not. New projects - by all means - but existing streets - must be thought out carefully.

For the handful of us who dream about bike lanes - it is an uphill battle as it is very hard to justify the need. Sure in theory - we can all speak politically correct language, mentioning carbon footprint, environment and other Suzuki-esque crap, but the reality is a bit different. If we lose the touch with reality, like Miller did - that will get us nowhere.

Now bike parks and trail systems are a whole another story and a different debate.

With regards to crack video - where is it? Once we all see it - then let's talk about it. Until then - what Toronto Star did - and they did it in the past multiple times as well - is dropped the journalistic ethics to the lowest level I have ever seen. They prostituted the paper so badly, trying to service those that can not get over the fact that Ford won the election in a landslide... Where is the democracy that we are thumping our collective chest about? This is a witch hunt at it's best, competing with the best days of USSR communism with Stalin and Khrushchev at their helm...

I did send few emails to Ford, regarding his perceived stance on cycling in the city and around it - and received responses from him directly, which I am happy with. I personally do not think Ford is anti-cyclist. He is just a messenger who is telling us the truth that we do not like. No need to shoot the messenger. If we push our agenda without reason, we are doing more damage to our cause than helping it.

If anyone sees the crack video - lemme know. If not, at least some here will get their money back from Gawker, eh?

Win-win.

cheers..
    Sorry, you're very wrong or you have no idea what happens behind the scenes. Rob Ford is pathologically anti-cycling.

I've worked with Ford, Holyday, and Milczyn to introduce and preserve our Etobicoke bike lanes...they fought like heck not only to prevent lanes on Burnamthorpe and Bloor from Islington to The West Mall, but also tried to remove that lanes from Rathburn. I worked with City Hall on the Jarvis lanes because that 1890's street was never designed for 5 lanes...adding that 5'th lane made it a death trap for cyclists, forcing them to ride on the sidewalk. I didn't ride Jarvis until they introduced the bike lanes. Also, I won one of the categories in the Toronto Bicycle Friendly Business Awards for 2007...got wined and dined in city hall, got flushed down the toilet with Ford's election.

Don Cherry's speech at Ford's inaugural was the #1 reason why I moved from Toronto...it just wasn't my kind of place anymore. I was the only resident in Islington Village that had a Ford sign on my lawn, both my wife and I voted for him, he called me personally 10 minutes after the polls closed to invite me to his victory party at the Congress Centre...supporting that jerk was the biggest mistake I've made. He betrayed you all (I'm gone from TO).

Toronto does not have a cycling culture because of people like Ford. To ridicule bike parking at City Hall is to evade reality, to withdraw financial support from Bixi is criminal, to veto bike lanes on major streets makes Toronto a global laughingstock, yet he drives a Caddy SUV.

You need to look at what he does, not what he says...and, yes, he, just like his sister, does have serious substance abuse issues, I know this first hand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast