mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Couple of good deals at Chain Reaction Cycles

Great deal on this, cheaper than used:
    Thomson Elite Layback Seatpost - 27.2mm 410mm BLACK 16mm Layback
    ID: 26273, Unit Price: 67.96 CAD

If you are placing a CRC order and have free shipping, take a look at:
    Shimano Alivio MC18 Rear Hub - 32h - Silver ID: 336171 Unit Price: 7.92 CAD
    Shimano Deore Hub Rear M510 - NO QR - Black 32h ID: 341008 Unit Price: 12.44 CAD

If you are running any older Shimano hubs, you are getting the Y3A398020 freehub for less than half price, plus of course the quick release, seals, axle, cones, and bearings may be useable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Or support your LBS and purchase said products or any other parts you need from them and get amazing service when you come in for those hubs to be built into a wheel or for the seatpost to be installed during a proper bike fit.

mtbr member
    Last time an MTBR Ontario folk posted a good deal from CRC, I too was able to cash-in - and scored a Cane Creek 110 headset for about $60.

Thanks for the heads-up, that is a very good price on a nice seatpost, IF it fits your frame (happens to fit 3 of my frames lol). No need to make this a mail-order vs. LBS thread...
    also known as Plaid Shirt Guy...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by VR6ix View Post
    Last time an MTBR Ontario folk posted a good deal from CRC, I too was able to cash-in - and scored a Cane Creek 110 headset for about $60.

Thanks for the heads-up, that is a very good price on a nice seatpost, IF it fits your frame (happens to fit 3 of my frames lol). No need to make this a mail-order vs. LBS thread...
    I remember that Cane Creek deal. I should have jumped on that one.

That post is a great deal too, and it fits two of my bikes... must.... resist.... temptation!!!

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by ptbo_mac View Post
    Or support your LBS and purchase said products or any other parts you need from them and get amazing service when you come in for those hubs to be built into a wheel or for the seatpost to be installed during a proper bike fit.
    right, because nothing makes me feel better than paying double or triple the price for something that is already grossly overpriced.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yea I have tried to give all 3 of my LBS a try but in the end, I dont make enough money to pay the prices. I do try to buy my clothes/helmets and stuff that needs to be tried on for fit at a lbs. But when crc is half the price, at times even less. Its hard to support them.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm in the same boat. I almost feel bad for my lack of loyalty but the LBShops aren't helping me pay down my line of credit either.

Aside from access to specialty stuff like spokes, headset reamers, and BB shell machining tools, I have no need for the LBS anymore. I've built wheels and a frame, and torn down my forks many times; what else is there to learn?

It's too bad they can't even come close on prices compared to the net, as one of the shops does a lot for the local trails.
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ptbo_mac View Post
    i gave up trying to do that when I wanted them to order a part which I had no idea about (brake adaptor for a funky set-up). When they told me to go do my own research because it was funky (the reason i took it to them in the first place!!!) i decided to stick buying on the net.
    Last edited by pizon; 12-17-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: forgot a word

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yep, I've tried at 2 different LBS to order a boot kit for my Avid BB7's. Both told me they would look into it, never did.
    I'll order off Ebay.
    Ordered a geared dropout for my Kona Unit back in August, was finally told it wouldn't be in until October, finally picked one up in a store in Ottawa, still never heard from the LBS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My Chain Reaction order came in today - not bad, exactly a week during the Christmas rush.
    Bonus, no taxes or fees. Like a 13% discount.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Yep, I've tried at 2 different LBS to order a boot kit for my Avid BB7's. Both told me they would look into it, never did.
    I'll order off Ebay.
    Ordered a geared dropout for my Kona Unit back in August, was finally told it wouldn't be in until October, finally picked one up in a store in Ottawa, still never heard from the LBS.
    I feel like if you ask a shop to order something small, they don't go through the effort if its a low cost item and is a bit tricky to get. Which is really sad, as not caring about small stuff is driving business in to the wide open arms of stores like CRC. If you can't get me a drop-out, would I drop $$$$ with you on something more serious???
    Last edited by pizon; 12-20-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Having worked in a bike shop in the past, those small parts orders can be a pain in the ass especially during slower times of the season. Yes it's a small $5 part, but a)order minimums need to be met and b)bike shops pay shipping too. So the shop will need to wait until it has a big enough order to fit your part in, assuming that anyone remembers your part by that time, which is far from guaranteed. It's actually a lot easier for a shop to get you something big like a fork or wheelset than some small parts, assuming the suppliers have them in stock. Now a good shop will find a way to get your part ordered in on a timely basis and keep you in the loop, but fact is not every shop has a good inventory & order system worked out. That's just the way it is.

Up, Up, and Away!
    Thanks for the heads up. I needed a new seatpost and was able to get a straight version of that seatpost for that price. Cheers!

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2