Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Endura, keep an eye on this guy kjlued. I bet you be can beat you down into a ban in any argument. Wouldn't be the first time either.
    Hey, no arguments here, I am turning over a new leaf.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Lovely evening for a ride and to kill billions of snowflakes with my tires.
    Did they make a high pitched screaming sound as you snuffed out their countless tiny lives?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Did they make a high pitched screaming sound as you snuffed out their countless tiny lives?
    Yes.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Hey, no arguments here, I am turning over a new leaf.
    good... for you... i think you have talent to be a fun guy. that's not easy...
    Signature

mtbr member
    I believe we saw your group on that ride. We rode Bent Rim 2 and 1, then turned around and rode Bent Rim 1 and 2. I hope your "sweeper" didn't take my cajoling too seriously. :P
    I love riding my bike!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I rode Hilton falls for the first time Tuesday night after work.
    No ideas what trails I rode, but had a great time none-the-less.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by boarder4life View Post
    I rode Hilton falls for the first time Tuesday night after work.
    No ideas what trails I rode, but had a great time none-the-less.
    Were you with the group that we crossed paths a couple of times? We were the two guys on skinny tires.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Speaking of skinny tires:

I was planning on doing Hilton/Agreement tomorrow, but I am not so sure now. Do you thing the Rocket Rons will be ok in there on the Tallboy, or should I get myself bigger tires? I like to stick with the smallest possible even if it means a bit of a sacrifice in traction.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post

I was planning on doing Hilton/Agreement tomorrow, but I am not so sure now. Do you thing the Rocket Rons will be ok in there on the Tallboy, or should I get myself bigger tires? I like to stick with the smallest possible even if it means a bit of a sacrifice in traction.
    i mentioned "skinny tires" only because most riders ride on 2.3-2.4 tires at Hilton Falls. We had Racing Ralphs on our bikes, mine were 2.25 and my friend was on 2.35 - but they run smaller - way smaller... hence they looked skinny compared to most of the tires that riders in the other group had...

dont know why you are leaning towards skinny tires - i am starting to believe in quite the opposite. go as wide as you can, and as soft as you can.

best winter AND summer riding tires - for packed snow and/or dry or wet - are those with small knobs - like Small Block 8 - as wide as you can. Another good tire is Racing Ralph - 2.35 - excellent traction and top rolling resistance - very fast. Tried Rocket Rons at Hilton Falls and HATED THEM. Too skinny for the rocks, too big knobs - not enough traction on rocks etc... plus i ran the light version, with thin sidewalls - did not have punctures, but was uneasy about it...

You should get yourself bigger tires - if i may suggest - Continental X-King line... i ordered Racesport model - light, wide and fast... but you may go with a bit heavier model (still pretty light) and get the best of both worlds... i think it may be one of the best all around tires on the market right now... 2.4 of course - as they come smaller than advertised width... the era of skinny tires has ended... even racers do not use them as much as in the past...

hope this helps... by the way - tallboy is the king in the rocks... i love it.
    Signature

mtbr member
    I have a brand new set of RR the tubeless EVO version 2.25's that I have not put on yet. I rode the Crossmark tires that came on the bike all summer including Hilton/AF and Buck and had absolutely no issues. Mind you it was pretty dry all summer. I found the RR's a fantastic tire on the 26er so I bought a pair for the 29er. I'll have to check out X-kings. I did't like the SB8's, and for a tire of this kind prefer the Table Tops. I run these for Joyride, but have run them on dirt and find them more predicable and faster. I looked at the X-king profile online and I realize that pictures can be deceiving, but they look like the same style as the RR's. I'll try to see if I can find some in stock somewhere to compare. The Tallboy is awesome on the rocks. I still get a grin riding that bike over rocks. Are you recommending the X-kings for all year round? As you know I am not racing on them.

sock puppet
    I have a brand new set of RR the tubeless EVO version 2.25's that I have not put on yet. I rode the Crossmark tires that came on the bike all summer including Hilton/AF and Buck and had absolutely no issues. Mind you it was pretty dry all summer. I found the RR's a fantastic tire on the 26er so I bought a pair for the 29er. I'll have to check out X-kings. I did't like the SB8's, and for a tire of this kind prefer the Table Tops. I run these for Joyride, but have run them on dirt and find them more predicable and faster. I looked at the X-king profile online and I realize that pictures can be deceiving, but they look like the same style as the RR's. I'll try to see if I can find some in stock somewhere to compare. The Tallboy is awesome on the rocks. I still get a grin riding that bike over rocks. Are you recommending the X-kings for all year round? As you know I am not racing on them.
    i do not have X-Kings yet - they are on backorder, but i believe that they will be the best all around tires for us in Ontario... they have rounder profile than RoRo and less tall knobs - which is the problem with RoRo unless you use them in soft conditions (wet or mud) though they are not mud tires. I was using them for racing in mud, as they roll fairly fast and provide more traction if wet.

RoRo is a good tire, i just think there are better choices out there - Conti's being one of them.

SB8 is not good as all around - i'd use it ONLY for winter riding, if you ask me. As wide as possible. So i agree with you there...

I find RoRo 2.25 too skinny. I would probably even consider Nobby Nic as alternative.

Right now i am excited about X-Kings... you can probably stick with what you have until you hear X-King reviews...
    Signature

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Thanks. I will run the RR's through the winter and in the wet spring conditions and consider my options in the summer. I have to say I was impressed with the Crossmarks though. Could depend on the riding we both do as well. I tend not to leave dust devils behind me as I go.

sock puppet
    i do not have X-Kings yet - they are on backorder, but i believe that they will be the best all around tires for us in Ontario... they have rounder profile than RoRo and less tall knobs - which is the problem with RoRo unless you use them in soft conditions (wet or mud) though they are not mud tires. I was using them for racing in mud, as they roll fairly fast and provide more traction if wet.

RoRo is a good tire, i just think there are better choices out there - Conti's being one of them.

SB8 is not good as all around - i'd use it ONLY for winter riding, if you ask me. As wide as possible. So i agree with you there...

I find RoRo 2.25 too skinny. I would probably even consider Nobby Nic as alternative.

Right now i am excited about X-Kings... you can probably stick with what you have until you hear X-King reviews...
    crossmarks have been on the market for many, many years. if the thread pattern was not good - they'd be extinct by now. i remember i used them on my 26" in 2007 racing LaRuta... they were awesome... one of the good all a rounders.

keep in mind - speed has nothing to do with my comments.

if it did - we'd be talking about Specialized Renegade and Schwalbe Furious Fred... - but that is another ball game...

i'd take my all-around tires to an epic ride - which is pretty much what you do most of the time, kinda... right?

if talking about racing - we'd be talking different tires all together... right now i ride tallboy only. two racing machines are on the rack...
    Signature

mtbr member
    You got it right. I am going to get out of here and head home to blow some snow. I plan on some kind of urban assault ride tomorrow. Snowbanks here I come! Everyone stay safe out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Back in the old days I rode Hilton Falls on a rigid bike with 2.1" tires, but I won't pretend it was fun. The best I can say is I didn't fall or mess up my bike.

Best tires I've used in Hilton/Agreement forest are the Conti Race Kings or Trail Kings, I think the key is having lots of volume and lower pressure so the tires can conform and stick. I was really surprised with the Race King, I believe it works well since HF is fairly low speed & technical so the bike stays more upright and doesn't get leaned over much giving the sticky rubber & tread a good chance to do its thing. But it blows goats if you try to ride it fast on anything other than pavement or hardpack.

As for the X-King, I'd probably like it just fine if I hadn't been riding the Mountain King II and Trail King. I'm now used to having tons of grip and traction so I have a hard time riding the X-King within its limits. With the Race King I have a voice or something that goes "race tires! Danger! Ride with care!" but more often than not I try to ride the X-king like a MKII and that usually doesn't end well. I think my mind associates the Race King's tread pattern with semi-slick tires so I instinctively ride them with care, but the X-Kings look like normal knobbies so I ride them like the rest of my tires.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Were you with the group that we crossed paths a couple of times? We were the two guys on skinny tires.
    No I was riding solo in there, I was in there from 445 to 6. Didn't know the trails well enough to ride them in the dark. I ran into a guy on my way in who was just on his way out, he gave me some good tips on following the tracks.

I was on skinny tires as well, their the only tires I own.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    My first ride on that trail was around 2002-2003, I was on a sugar 1, and in the tire department...conti twister pro supersonics. Must have made it less that a KM in before I got my first flat. Made it another couple hundred meters and my buddy, also on a Sugar got a flat. We met Peter W. and his buddies for the first time that day, they toured us around ( I remember they were riding "big" bikes, like Hecklers). I didn't get back there again until this summer - and I met those guys again (now on Nomads and the like), me - I was on the SS Misfit. Fun place - not going to take ten years before I get back again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2