MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

Copper Lake Ride

I was northwest of Apsley today. The blackflies have gone, but the deer flies have returned for another season. The ride was just shy of 10 miles. The Rathburn Trail is a hunting trail that sees some (but not a lot) ATV traffic. The ridges are similiar to the Torrance Barrens, but unfortunately they aren't linked as well. They are quite sloped, you you can do some climbing. If you download the GPS file you'll see that I've labelled the easternmost loop, Hike A Bike Ridge. Some of you rockcrawlers might be able to climb it, But I didn't even try. Downhillers probably would enjoy it. The other loops are directly ridable from the Rathburn Trail.

Here are some pics that I will admit are nowheres near the quality of some of the contributors on here.

To access this area, take Hwy. 28 north of Apsley to Tucker Rd. Turn left & go half a klick to the end of the maintained road. Park in the small parking lot (can be crowded on weekends).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by revrnd; 06-06-2009 at 03:44 PM.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Here's the GPS file.

Use GPSBabel http://gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/to convert it from a Garmin .gdb file to other formats.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Muskoka
    So deer flies have started...damn. That's the sort of terrain they like too, wide open.

mtbr member
    Thanks Revrnd, I was looking for your post from a few years ago on this one, couldn't find it. My niece bought some property on Tucker Rd. last fall.
    I've been doing a little trail building at Jacks Lake, should have a few kms of single track connecting to some atv trails in a month or 2. Did some work last summer then busted my ankle, haven't had a chance to get back to it yet. I'll post a GPS file when I get it done.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by langford
    I've been doing a little trail building at Jacks Lake
    W/ that comment I think you get an honourary "local" citizenship. It's been Jack's Lake ever since I can remember & my mother grew up about 4 miles south of Apsley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_Island_(Ontario)

http://www.eelslake.com/EELS_HISTORY.HTM

The Jack's Lake vs Jack Lake debate is like the naming of a certain lakeside community in Toronto. My mother was just reading a journal written in the 1880s & the person from Clydesdale (NE of Apsley) mentioned going to Jack's Lake. I've also seen old maps w/ this label. It's only been the last 20 or so years that certain people decided that Jack Lake is correct.

The logging road that ventures west of Sharpes Bay Rd (by the Peterborough Crown Preserve sign) runs into the back of our property. There are some trails on the Crown, but mostly doubletrack.

If you need a hand on trail work, PM me & I'll try to give you a hand.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    This looks amazing... would love to check it out, your description sounds like it would be right up my alley. Can one do an all day epic there? We're also thinking of the trails around Silent Lake and Bon Echo, possibly making a weekend out of it
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    You might be able to. I turned around @ Copper Creek & the snowmobile trail continues across the bridge (to the north of the hunting camp) further west. I don't know if there's much ATV traffic past the creek to keep the vegetation down.

There are some other dead end side trails that you can explore as well.

My ride was 16 klicks long that day.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada