Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    sock puppet

Copeland Forest ride - Labour day - Monday

don't really know why our mod locked the previous great thread.

We need it, as we need to communicate the car pooling etc. Also - ride reports and pics...

Please leave this one alive. Thank you.

bi-winning
    With a fresh start on the topic, you could have at least included the relevant details in your post - i.e. starting time and location.

I'm considering this ride, though the traffic factor concerns me. I would be up for carpooling if anybody else from the Niagara area is also interested.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

sock puppet

I am sorry, you are absolutely correct

Though those interested must have followed the old thread.. I re-opened it only so that we can continue to talk about the logistics... Hopefully mod will let it live.

The ride is Monday - 11am start - parking lot at 4th line and Ingram road. Best access to Ingram road is from highway 93 off ramp.

We plan on riding around 3 hours and then we will consider dropping by the Horseshoe bike park and maybe take the plunge down the hill. I am thinking about setting up my Tallboy for this reason.

I am carpooling with one rider, can take another if needed. We depart from 427/Burnhamthorpe probably around 9:00am.

Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    With a fresh start on the topic, you could have at least included the relevant details in your post - i.e. starting time and location.

I'm considering this ride, though the traffic factor concerns me. I would be up for carpooling if anybody else from the Niagara area is also interested.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Also, anyone got a helmetcam? If we're hitting the DH runs at Horseshoe it would be nice to see how it looks to fly off the drops and jumps on the advanced runs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    don't really know why our mod locked the previous great thread.

We need it, as we need to communicate the car pooling etc. Also - ride reports and pics...

Please leave this one alive. Thank you.

Name:  IMPLODE! (1).png
Views: 787
Size:  210.4 KB

mtbr member
    Alright gentlemen and gentleladies

The forecast isn't horrible, but not quite good enough to warrant a 4 hour round trip by car.

I wish you all the best, but I'm going to stay local.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Alright gentlemen and gentleladies

The forecast isn't horrible, but not quite good enough to warrant a 4 hour round trip by car.

I wish you all the best, but I'm going to stay local.
    Weather Network is showing 40% chance of <1mm of showers for the Barrie area. Moderate temperatures of ~15*. Does it get better than that?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

sock puppet
    Does it get better than that?
    Emily Batty shows up for a ride?

mtbr member
    Weather Network is showing 40% chance of <1mm of showers for the Barrie area. Moderate temperatures of ~15*. Does it get better than that?
    Yeah, that pile of work gets magically done. You know, the one I sat down with today and got very little accomplished on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ARE YOU READY TO ROCK?

Weather forecast now calls for no precipitation today, that's right, cloudy but no rain.
    Gonna be a good ride.

I wonder why?

Great Ride!!!!!

I just got home and the smile is still on my face. I'm pretty sure everyone else is still smiling too.

No rain and the phenomenal trial system was in excellent shape.

Eight riders turned out, Oggie, Mudhead, Matt 24 solo, rki, aerius, BlackCanoeDog, Kathy, and myself. Plenty of pictures were taken and I'm sure they will be posted shortly.

It was great to meet everyone and enjoy the day. Special thanks to Matt for giving us the tour.

i1dry?
    ...some drink from the fountain of knowledge..some only gargle...!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by i1dry View Post
    I just got home and the smile is still on my face. I'm pretty sure everyone else is still smiling too.

No rain and the phenomenal trial system was in excellent shape.

Eight riders turned out, Oggie, Mudhead, Matt 24 solo, rki, aerius, BlackCanoeDog, Kathy, and myself. Plenty of pictures were taken and I'm sure they will be posted shortly.

It was great to meet everyone and enjoy the day. Special thanks to Matt for giving us the tour.

i1dry?
    Looking forward to the pics. So disappointed we didn't join you. We ended up at Hardwood Hills thinking Copeland would be too wet but I had friends also say conditions were perfect

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Matt for leading us. Conditions were great, temperature was great. As many have said, the climbs are tough, but the downhills are worth it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Every ride at Copeland is a great ride and today was no exception. Matt put together a great loop for us that covered several of the signature trails including the bermed downhill. Everyone had giant grins on their faces at the bottom of that run, it was like "holy crap! Did I just ride that? I want to go back and do it again!" it was the happiest group of riders I've ever seen. Another highlight was the salamander we spotted beside one of the trails, it was the first one I've ever seen there and I had no idea they were so small. Great ride, great company, and a perfect end to the long weekend.

Muskoka

Copeland Forest [o]

First off thank you to Oggie for putting this ride together and making it open to sweeps and anchors Second also a huge thanks to Matt for leading such a fun ride! Where I come from elevation change is when I go upstairs to bed at night! Overcast and 15C is typically not fun weather but it is perfect for riding! Even the cows looked bored, wishing they had bikes...

Muskoka

Copeland Forest [o] cont'd..

sock puppet
    what a day of riding
    my first full dan in the saddle after a long time...
    started with a ridiculously fun group ride at Copeland, ended up at Horseshoe bike park, letting the wheels roll down the hill, catching a bit of air at times...
    Copeland Forest is truly beautiful. Trails are challenging, both technically and physically but extremely rewarding. The nature is breathtaking. We only ran across another 2 individual riders and a small but fast group of 3 led by Kevin Simms. Everyone was enjoying every second of this ride. We kept the group together and short breaks were filled with entertaining and informational conversations. The diversity of the group contributed to the total fun of this outing. All riders truly lovers of the sport and great people. As mentioned so far, Matt was a great host and managed to get us lost for (unfortunately only) about 2-3 minutes. My appreciation goes to those that spend their time working on these trails.

After the ride the 3 of us headed to Horseshoe Bike park - aerius, rkj_ and myself. When in Rome, do what Romans do - so I quickly put baggy shorts and appropriate shirt on, however no body armour. Paging stefanb for a quick meet and greet and after a short welcome brief by him - we were off to the trails...

We covered all trails, bypassing the toughest features, but catching air on easier ones. Great work by Stefan and the crew on building an entertaining trail system on the slopes of Horseshoe. The three of us always put a smile on faces of the crew at loading and unloading stations, as our bikes were so light. Blasting down the hill was fun, as long as we matched the speed to the ability of our bikes and our own. Stefan was so wrong saying: "if girls can do it..." as we came across at least 2 girls that were catching some serious air, that the three of us would not attempt even if our life depended on it. Way to go girls. We stopped and observed big drops on the trail with highest difficulty. Everyone was so friendly, including exchanging compliments on our bikes. Temperature was in low teens and it started to take a toll on me, as I was completely underdressed. However, after a full day of riding, it didn't take long to convince the group that it is the time to graciously retire.

The drive back home was as short as it can be. No cottage country traffic at all.

Thanks to all that showed up and made this day of riding one of the best I have ever had.

Can't wait to see the pics from the pic master himself - BCD.

sock puppet
    WOW!! Pics speak thousand words.

Truly outstanding BCD. Thank you!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    WOW!! Pics speak thousand words.

Truly outstanding BCD. Thank you!
    It's my turn to once again thank:
    Matt24solo for the tour
    osokolo for the idea
    BCD for some top notch photos, and letting me try his wicked bike.
    Everyone else for the fabulous company.

The trails we rode in the Copleand forest were indeed top notch. It's such a naturally beautiful area. All the climbs were followed by very rewarding descents. There were technical challenges; roots, log piles, steep descents, and berms. Weather and trail conditions were great. The ride was relatively incident free, with no injuries to riders or bikes. There were lots of huge smiles.

It was also a treat to try out some lift assisted riding at Horseshoe. After our first run down the hill, I could not believe we were at the bottom already. After reminding myself we were in Ontario, I accepted it for what it was, and continued to feel out the trails. Though my skills and bike kept me away from the biggest features, there were still plenty of really fun features to be hit. The trails are actually really well done. Anything tough has a ride-around. More skilled riders can launch off certain features, while those less daring have the option of just rolling over them. Again, there were twists, and turns, and berms, and all kind of MTB goodness.

It was definitely worth the drive from Niagara Falls. Traffic was not a problem at all.

My pictures will be up shortly.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    A few photos from today.

Yes, there are hills, and everyone was walking this one.

Photo session and catching a breather after one of the climbs

And then we headed off to Horseshoe resort for some downhill riding. We warmed up on the easier runs to get a feel for the speed & terrain, then headed over to the advanced runs where I learned that directing traffic while riding a technical feature was not the brightest idea in the world.

Oggie nails the bermed planks

rkj__ hits the s-turn bridges

bi-winning

Last edited by rkj__; 09-05-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    RKJ .... finally gets a new lid
    Attached Images Attached Images  

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    RKJ .... finally gets a new lid
    I've been working at a bike shop this summer, and the deals I get allow me to consider buying items that I would otherwise never consider, due to cost. I tried on the Giro Ionos, and could not stop wanting it. After contemplating for a week or two, one of the plastic bits in the harness of my cheapo bell let go. It was a sign, I had to get the Ionos.

The Ionos is my first "high end" helmet, and I must admit, the airflow is absolutely fantastic, it's light, and the fit is great.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Oggie nails the bermed planks

That would be a perfect 1997 freeride pic. Narrow bars with a short travel fork.

mtbr member
    glad everyone enjoyed the ride. no trails were harmed during the adventure and a few trails are actually cleaner from the group.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast