mtbr member

Continental Supersonic Twister Pros (whatever they are called!)

I just picked up a set of these new tires for my bike and I don't know how I feel about them yet. I was riding Hutchinson Pythons before and I hated them for their traction in anything soft and for cornering. I was looking for something a little grippier in softer conditions, corners, and slick conditions (without blatantly getting heavy mud tires). Anyone try these tires or have something to say on them? Should I look into anything else (ie. am I going to get a more noticable difference with the stuff I'm looking for in anything else? Or is this pretty good and I just need to work on handling skills?). Because these suckers are about 450 g and fast rolling (more than pythons) but only very slight improvement in grippiness as far as I could tell (I rode Greenwood after it rained last night). I thought they might be good for me since I only weigh 1 buck. I guess I could live with them but just wondering if there was something else out there I should consider - I mean, I'm starting to think I'm not at the level to justify these tires.
    "If you were afraid of falling off the bike, you'd never get on."

LBS Manager
    I realy like Specialized Roll X pro tires. They roll fast and grip better than most. The Kenda Nevegals grips better than anything that I have ever used but they are not as fast as the Roll X. I personaly have never liked Cnoti's but I know a lot of people who love them. I also Agree with you about the Pythons unless the conditions are perfect dry hard pack with no sand or loose stuff they suck.

Bored
    try Hutch Spyders.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

rad to the power of sick
    Twister supersonics are fast on hardpack and dry... but suck in anything wet. Also they're prone to punctures... as are most sub 500g tires though. At 100lbs though, you can probably get away with them.
    Id suggest conti explorer pros.. much grippier.

Another option, Maxxis Crossmarks.. good all round tire. Grippier than the pythons with about the same amount of rolling resistance.

If youre willing to drop some big bucks, the michelin XCR dry tire is really good too.

I already rode that
    Second the Roll X's as they do work great for most conditions. You might want to try playing with the air pressure too as that can affect performance too. I tend to stay away minimal tread tires as they suck when the trail gets a lil hairy. You can also try the Panaracer fire XC pro's as they are a great tire too if old by some standards.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I am also a Roll X fan, great cornering, braking etc. only complaint is their a bit heavy - 620grams.

I tried the Hutchinson's and although fast also found their braking not up to par on more technical rides. I have also tried Cont Explorer Pro's whih are a bit better then the Hutchinson for cornering and braking but I found you need to run them at 28-30 psi otherwise their skittish.

Also tried Panaracers but found the Roll X to be a better tire. I also don't mind the Ritchey Z Max Milllenimums, have good rolling resistance and grip despite their weight - 600 grams.

But having said the above, I am also trying to find a lower weight tire below 540 grams that performs well in all conditions. Currently I am testing the Bontrager XCR which is tubeless ready and weighs in at 540 grams. So far it's pretty good and better than the Conti in my opinion.

If your not racing and riding more tech go a bit heavier - Roll X Pro's, otherwise the Michelins have a good review for race specific.

bi-winning
    Well, since everybody else is pumping the Roll X, i will too that's what i have got on my bike right now. I have a Roll X Traction on the front, and the Roll X Race on the rear. The front Traction tire is a softer rubber compound, and sticks pretty well. The rear Race tire is the harder of the two compounds to get better wear.

I have found them to be a very fair and predictable tire. I can feel them start to slide before it is too late to save. They are knobby enough so that you don't need to worry if the trail is not bone dry. In the mud, they do pack up, but still remain predictable and fair. In loose sand, again, fair performance.

Rolling resistance wise, they are ok. Not the best, and probably slower than the pythons, but it is indeed a trade-off for more traction. The chamfered edge does give an advantage over tires with a square knob profile.

Another disadvantage is that it is sometimes hard to get Specialized tires for a reasonable price.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I have run the regular twiters through many diffrent races and conditions and have found no real complaints... I ran them in the last 24 @ kelso with all the rain some riders were calling cabs from the top section because there bikes were so caked with mud that they couldn't ride any more but the twisters shed the mud easily and I was able to ride right through.

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by geoarchaeologist
    I just picked up a set of these new tires for my bike and I don't know how I feel about them yet. I was riding Hutchinson Pythons before and I hated them for their traction in anything soft and for cornering. I was looking for something a little grippier in softer conditions, corners, and slick conditions (without blatantly getting heavy mud tires). Anyone try these tires or have something to say on them? Should I look into anything else (ie. am I going to get a more noticable difference with the stuff I'm looking for in anything else? Or is this pretty good and I just need to work on handling skills?). Because these suckers are about 450 g and fast rolling (more than pythons) but only very slight improvement in grippiness as far as I could tell (I rode Greenwood after it rained last night). I thought they might be good for me since I only weigh 1 buck. I guess I could live with them but just wondering if there was something else out there I should consider - I mean, I'm starting to think I'm not at the level to justify these tires.
    I've used the Twister on and off for several years and would choose it over the Python for everything except sand. The Python is horrible in the wet but the Twister is surprisingly good - but neither is really intended for mud...

I'm not sure how you ended up with the Twister, since you seem to be looking for better traction in the softer conditions, cornering and slick. Although the Twister is IMHO better at most than the Python, it isn't exactly a full knobby - more like a race tire. If it is a fast race tire you are looking for with a bit more traction, you may want to look at:

Nokian NBX Lite
    Racing Ralph
    Maxxis Larsen TT
    Michelin XCR Dry

I'd rank them in that order based on my personal preference. I've never used the Roll - X so I have no comment on them other than that they don't look like a fair tire to compare to the Twister or Python...

If you open up to the real knobby tire, you should notice a big difference in all around traction. That would be the Explorer, Fire XC etc... If you want a bargain tire that has surprising performance, get the IRC Mibro. At your weight, you wouldn't need anything bigger than the 2.1 which works very well. Buy them on line for under $20 each. I suppose they are getting dumped because IRC is moving to a newer tread pattern they call the marathon...

There are so many tires out there, it can be very hard to choose. Most of the big manufacturers have decent tires, so spin the wheel of fortune, buy a set and get used to them .

Good Luck
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by airman
    I'spin the wheel of fortune, buy a set and get used to them .
    not bad advice. people tend to fuss a lot about tires. but, the bottom line is, that if you have confidence in your tires, and know what they can and cannot do, you will be ok. if you don't have confidence in your tires, look for something else.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    not bad advice. people tend to fuss a lot about tires. but, the bottom line is, that if you have confidence in your tires, and know what they can and cannot do, you will be ok. if you don't have confidence in your tires, look for something else.
    Well put... I fuss alot about tires, but that's just for entertainment....

I've searched for the holy-grail of tires, and I'm starting to realize... it doesn't exist .

You can go faster, smoother and have more fun on a tire that inspires your confidence than on the one that a German magazine said would roll faster...

Cheers
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING