Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I <3 29ers

Congrats CirClip on your first thread closing!

Hang on! Before you pull out the canon just read on ...

I would like to take a momentary break from my silence to first congratulate you on becoming the new EC Mod. CONGRATS! I'm sure you'll do a fine job.

I would also like to take a moment to sincerely thank you for at least having the respect to finish the thread you closed with a comment. I have long watched in discontentment the typical behavior of Mods to simply shut down a thread with no comment to anyone, even when asked by the thread starter. I find the lack of communication disturbing. So ... THANK YOU!

Perhaps EC is seeing some hope for a change.

(folks, let's try, just a little bit, to not **** this up, yeah? You know, for a change)
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO View Post
    I have long watched in discontentment the typical behavior of Mods to simply shut down a thread with no comment to anyone, even when asked by the thread starter. I find the lack of communication disturbing. So ... THANK YOU!
    I agree that the added communications is a nice touch, regardless of whether or not I agree with the action.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

namagomi
    There needs to be a 12 step program in place.

Sissy Pants FTW Moderator
    I believe we all want as little moderator intervention as possible. However, in this near term transitional period I may be a little quicker on the draw to snuff out sparks - from my viewpoint - before they whip up into a fire, so that more instrusive moderation options are not required.

As we evolve to find a new equilbrium for spirited but healthy debate, moderator actions will evolve (dissolve?) to match.

There are a lot of nice active threads in progress with solid content relevant to the forum. Let's get back to posting in those instead of moderator talk.

Thanks for playing along.

humber river advocate
    the moderation is still not complete at this time so it is really to early to come to any conclusions or really to make any extensive comments. otherwise then that i think moderation is a good as long as it's balanced and fair. the new pedal thread just rehashed the old pedal thread, perhaps the threads could have been merged. it's really not a big deal.
    bolton trail info
    bmbc1st @ yahoo.com
    support TORBA
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

Evil Jr.
    This is a lot closer to the interventionist-style moderation I'm used on much bigger boards (which coincidentally are going through disciplinary problems of their own right now - must be the time of the month, ).

While gregg did say he was looking for a co-mod to get the "other" side's input, I don't really see two sides to this place. Unless we're rehashing the same old divisive topics (Albion, pedals and on-line retail) it's really hard to divide users into camps. EC is multifaceted enough that you can never really predict where the cards may fall on any given subject.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    There are a lot of nice active threads in progress with solid content relevant to the forum. Let's get back to posting in those instead of moderator talk.
    I had posted something else, but now that I think about it, this makes perfect sense. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    What?? A thread got closed? Is PT back?

Oh, I see now, its the real problem child stirring it up again.

Name:  LightningBolt.png
Views: 1310
Size:  14.3 KB

mtbr member
    twas a good thread, potentially a trophy thread.

although a fair decision....unfortunately we hadnt been graced by the ever exciting puppet account contributions.....

just so were clear....was it raganwalds :P post to re-rail his original thread that cause the eventual demise?

i agree with Andrew with regards to posting the final comment....this may be the only possitive attribute of a moderator....you must abuse this!

Again, congrats on locking your first trophy thread....you'll make a fantastic EC Forum pirate....arghh
    FAQ YOU

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpunk~ View Post
    ....you'll make a fantastic EC Forum pirate....arghh
    Xmas is just around the corner...

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Xmas is just around the corner...

i like!

are you familure with Dropmachines always popular ex-forum contributor 'bootjamesout' keyboard...this pic followed evey post of his lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Congrats CirClip on your first thread closing!-3keyboard.jpg  

FAQ YOU

Sissy Pants FTW Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpunk~ View Post
    are you familure with Dropmachines always popular ex-forum contributor 'bootjamesout' keyboard...this pic followed evey post of his lol
    With the ever increasing trend of input from various mobile devices, the average post resembles bootjamesout-speak more and more every day.

humber river advocate
    it's all about being fair and equable and promoting all aspects of cycling culture in eastern canada. albion hills is a great example of the divisions and thus the need for 2 mods. both views of albion hills are valid, the one that thinks it is a fantastic place to ride and the other that says no it is not that great of a place. if one group goes beyond banter/debate into personal attacks, slander/gossip and harrasement then mod action should occur. to just shut it down because it is a discussion about albion hills is not correct. the same pretty much goes with any thread...

This is a lot closer to the interventionist-style moderation I'm used on much bigger boards (which coincidentally are going through disciplinary problems of their own right now - must be the time of the month, ).

While gregg did say he was looking for a co-mod to get the "other" side's input, I don't really see two sides to this place. Unless we're rehashing the same old divisive topics (Albion, pedals and on-line retail) it's really hard to divide users into camps. EC is multifaceted enough that you can never really predict where the cards may fall on any given subject.
    bolton trail info
    bmbc1st @ yahoo.com
    support TORBA

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    it's all about being fair and equable and promoting all aspects of cycling culture in eastern canada. albion hills is a great example of the divisions and thus the need for 2 mods. both views of albion hills are valid, the one that thinks it is a fantastic place to ride and the other that says no it is not that great of a place. if one group goes beyond banter/debate into personal attacks, slander/gossip and harrasement then mod action should occur. to just shut it down because it is a discussion about albion hills is not correct. the same pretty much goes with any thread...
    So if you lump, say, Circlip, me and Oggie on the one side, who do you lump in the "other" side?

Do you base it on your like/dislike of Albion? Pedals? Shorts? All these "us and them" divisions are meaningless and silly.

mtbr member
    So if you lump, say, Circlip, me and Oggie on the one side, who do you lump in the "other" side?

Do you base it on your like/dislike of Albion? Pedals? Shorts? All these "us and them" divisions are meaningless and silly.
    With great respect (and I am not being sarcastic), I suggest the true division is between those who say “live and let live” and with those who feel that other people are wrong and must be corrected, immediately, and with vigour.

Forums always end up being dominated by those who have the most time to spend on the internet and who have the most emotional investment in any discussion. The net result is invariably that the people who “live and let live” turn into lurkers or leave, while the “you people are wrong” folks take over.

Historically, this has happened with every internet forum. If (and I only say “if”) this is thought to be deleterious, active moderation by humans has been the only thing shown to have any effect on this natural evolution.
    Last edited by raganwald; 09-02-2011 at 09:09 AM.

humber river advocate
    i didn't say any names by the way... the reality is there will be always likes and dislikes, us and them, divisions... a good mod remains objective and does not attach subjective value statements/views such as "meaningless and silly" on subjects when wearing their mod hat. otherwise then that they can hold what ever views they want just like anybody else.

bolton trail info
    bmbc1st @ yahoo.com
    support TORBA

Evil Jr.
    Good thing I'm not campaigning to be a mod!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Worst mod ever.

How are going to have any fun if he shuts things down just as they spark up?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Name:  Mr Rogers.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  20.4 KB

mtbr member
    if we could only figure out a way to snuff out the 'silver spoon temper tantrums' .....

no need to hate Albion....id blame the person(s) responsible for forcing

you to ride Albion.
    FAQ YOU

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Everything in moderation including moderation.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    In other news, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to CirClip!

Burnt Orange Lives

how do you envision two mods from

"different" sides moderate this forum.

can you clearly define "different" sides?

what are the criteria to be met for each side?

would each mod have the power of veto?

would you split users in two groups based on your dislike/like and have exclusive power to moderate each group?

would both mods complain to supermods in case of disagreement?

are you saying that Circlip is not fair and equitable and promoting all aspects of cycling culture in eastern Canada, thus the need for another mod who will be fair and equitable and promote all aspects of cycling culture in eastern Canada?

back to regular programming now - though i DO hope you answer my questions, please.

by the way raganwald, there is the third group - "live and let die". this group will live and let others live, but if they don't like it, this group will still live and let them die.

dividing cycling community is BS. divisions are artificial and there are only handful of people (that includes their puppet accounts and other accounts that they use wink wink) that work hard on creating divisions. there is nowhere near critical mass for this to really happen... may as well stop wasting time dividing the community and maybe - build some trails or cook some mushrooms...

Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    "live and let die". this group will live and let others live, but if they don't like it, this group will still live and let them die.
    Quod erat demonstrandum.

And with that, I am imposing a ten day ban on myself in the Eastern Canada forum. Hope to see you at the trailhead for 6:30, Oggie!

Burnt Orange Lives

oh SNAP!!

Explains why there were no padlocks today... YET

Happy birthday mod!

In line with forum typing Nazi rules and regulations - it is Circlip, not CirClip. Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    In other news, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to CirClip!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast