sock puppet

city limits night road ride...

there is something special in these rides. The only ride when I actually don't mind riding by myself. Brisk pace, favourite tunes from my music library, city lights, rush of air through the helmet... Mentally relaxing feeling, despite physical effort. Can't feel like this during the day on the road... It is different.

Anyone else with similar experience night road riding?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails city limits night road ride...-img_0232.jpg  

mtbr member
    hope you have your bell on there

mtbr member
    Night riding scares me.

I worry about the driver approaching from the rear who's blinded by the guy with the way to bright HID's coming from the other direction and can't see a thing.

I definitely don't find it very relaxing.

Evil Jr.
    It's right around this time of year (when I'm not thinking about the start of XC skiing season, ) that my mind turns to night riding. As it gets darker earlier and earlier, I shift my rides away from the road and more to MUPs and rail trail which are usually deserted after dark (also keeping you out of traffic) and the bike shifts away from the road to the CX rig.

I'm actually looking forward to evening rides with a snap in the air. Just like by February, I'm fantasizing about weekend singletrack riding. The heart wants what it wants!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    I like night road rides, but usually this are later in the season when it gets dark earlier. I shift my rides to industrial streets like Matheson, Kennedy Road, and the like. These are nice roads and almost deserted after rush hour. However, I don't like riding with headphones. The crisp air is nice.

sock puppet

nice trailtrash...

i know i can not win this with our law enforcement officers, so yes - i have a brand spanking new $2.99 Shimano handlebar bell on a race ready machine...

i can see how night riding on the city roads can be deemed more dangerous than during the day... however, i do find that the general conditions are way better after regular business hours, and after all commuters have made it back home. the average car speed is lower, but most importantly - aggressive driving is almost absent.

the key is to have a VERY GOOD REAR LIGHT... the one i have is excellent. way stronger than your regular red rear light and it flashes in blue. purchased it online at roadid.com.

i managed to get "lost" for 10-15 min in Argentia/Derry road area. ended up on some nice wooded and windy roads through industrial area, just south of 401 with no cars and smooth roads... very nice...

i can only listen to my music on the road. i know it may appear ignorant and dangerous, and i accept the added risk, however, i have been doing it for over 25 years and have developed my own habits to mitigate the added risk. music affects my riding experience so dramatically that it has become a part of it, except when riding in the peloton. the level of music still allows for external noise, so that i am aware of important developments around me...

trailtrash - here is the bell:

Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    hope you have your bell on there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails city limits night road ride...-img_0235.jpg  

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post

the key is to have a VERY GOOD REAR LIGHT... the one i have is excellent. way stronger than your regular red rear light and it flashes in blue. :
    Oggie, - hoping to save you another ticket, the HTA says you must have a red read light or reflector - I didn't notice a reflector in your photo

HTA 62(17) - Lights
    a bike must have a white front light and a red rear light or reflector if you ride between 1/2 hour before sunset and 1/2 hour after sunrise and white reflective tape on the front forks and red reflective tape on rear forks. Set fine: $20.00

Cycling Skills - 5) Cycling and The Law

sock puppet

that is great :)

i might get it the next time i am ordering from roadid.com

in the meantime - i'll take a chance on $20, though i have quite a few red rear lights, but they are not nearly as powerful as the blue one...

thanks for reminding me of the law... you are absolutely correct..

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Oggie, - hoping to save you another ticket, the HTA says you must have a red read light or reflector - I didn't notice a reflector in your photo

HTA 62(17) - Lights
    a bike must have a white front light and a red rear light or reflector if you ride between 1/2 hour before sunset and 1/2 hour after sunrise and white reflective tape on the front forks and red reflective tape on rear forks. Set fine: $20.00

Cycling Skills - 5) Cycling and The Law

Evil Jr.
    I don't think there's anything saying you can't have blue AND red... although then you might get a ticket for impersonating a police officer!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I don't think there's anything saying you can't have blue AND red... although then you might get a ticket for impersonating a police officer!
    there is, police(in combination with red flashing lights) are permitted to use blue flashing lights, the only other permitted use is "road service vehicles performing winter maintenance activites"

So that's a $20 fine for no red light/reflector, plus an $85 fine for the blue flashing light.

namagomi

At least be more aérodynamic

Apparently bio-motion is far more detectable as a cyclist than a blinky so strapping a light or reflective akle band on the leg helps. Depends on traffic's speed. Anyways, people lit up like Christmas tree still manage to get hit because there is an x factor. Still most of the commute warriors are on shift and the drunks won't be out till later. There is the problem of hand signalling turns or movement in the lane if your glove have no reflective banding.

Dunno if you'll get a ticket for the blue light, technically you're not supposed to have a flashing red light either.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    the only other permitted use is "road service vehicles performing winter maintenance activites"

So that's a $20 fine for no red light/reflector, plus an $85 fine for the blue flashing light.
    Just drop one grain of road salt every 5 km. Starting December 21.

I think steady blue may be legal.