mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Christie conditions?

Anyone been at Christie since the big thaw?
    Pure ice or rideable?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    To answer my own question - Christie is in great shape. Was on the Pugsley.
    Thanks to all the people that must have been out picking up branches.

The double track is icy with about 2 inches of fresh snow on top but it wasn't a problem, no slipping.
    The single track has a couple of inches of crunchy old snow with 1 to 2 inches of fresh snow on top. The crunchy snow gives great traction.
    No problems with ice at all. Open areas need a bit of traffic on them, they are hard work but very rideable.
    Happy Hawthorn was like that since it's open - rideable but hard work, needs a couple more bikes through it.
    The Trillium trail is rideable and good end to end. I cleaned up a couple of big deadfalls and its all clean.
    Crash and Berm had a lot of branches on it but I cleaned it up and it's good end to end. Couple of branches are frozen down so I had to just break the small branches off. There is the top of a pine on the trail at the top of Crash and Berm that I couldn't move but I was able to break the end off so you can get by.
    Didn't make it to Runway or the new part of Crash and Berm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Was at Christie today. The section of the Trillium trail in the pines is rideable - from the start to the X crossing at Happy Hawthorn and back through the pines. I walked most of Happy Hawthorn - it's not rideable without a lot more traffic. The eastern part of the Trillium trail hasn't had much traffic, I didn't try it.
    The snow is so fine and cold that it doesn't give much traction, lots of side slipping traversing hills. Will need to age a bit. Lots of ski and snowshoe traffic on the Trillium trail through the pines. I went back and forth a bunch of times so it's not bad.

Workin for the weekend!
    What's the werd out @ Christie these days? Rideable or no...? Would be nice to switch things up a bit.
    Todd

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was there Tuesday afternoon.
    Hard to describe. Definitely fatbike only. The snow is crusty so rideable anywhere there has been traffic. The road back in is very bumpy but rideable. I rode the Trillium trail back to the X interchange at Happy Hawthorn and back several times. It's OK and rideable, a bit frustrating trying to stay on the foot wide track. But I can't ride a line if my life depended on it. The open area going east after crossing the double track is a bit loose. Traction is good, any time I walked it was just due to getting off line.
    Some of the other tracks look like they could be ridden if they got some traffic on them.

I see they are finally starting to clean up the downed trees etc. in the park.
    Last edited by Slash5; 02-26-2014 at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Anyone been on the trails at Christie? I haven't been there since the thaw.
    Assuming we don't get much rain today and tonight will they be rideable for the weekend?
    Otherwise it will be Turkey Point or Puslinch.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Christie trails are in great shape and all cleaned up. A few spots where the ground is soft enough to leave tread marks but thats it. There is some rutting in 2 or 3 spots where people have been on it when it was wet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Was at Cristie today, Saturday. Took the fat bike cause I expected conditions to be soft. Big surprise, trails were solid, no soft spots at all. One tiny puddle but even it wasn't soft.
    Wanted to try out the OnOne floater that just arrived, replaced the Endomorph. Seems like a good tire, wish I had ordered 2. I've been playing with a 22lb carbon 26er lately, couldn't believe how heavy the Pugsley was. Sounds like a tractor going through the berms but once you get it rolling it keeps going, corners like you wouldn't believe.
    My 2nd fastest time for Ebb and Flow and G-out trail, seems hard to believe.
    A bunch of kids were up there playing on the G-out, having a ball. Was waiting for someone to crash but they were doing great.

Evil Jr.
    It's been really busy at Christie every time I've so far this season. I always seem to see at least one or two riders out there no matter what time it is.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.