mtbr member

New question here. Chris King hub service tool

Anyone have one that they're willing to lend-out for a week or just a weekend? In exchange for frosty beverages of your choosing, of course!

Anyone know a LBS or CDN web retailer that sells them around $170? That's the going rate direct from Chris King, but they wont ship up here to Soviet Canuckistan for some reason. link

I'm on the fence about just getting a shop to overhaul this used wheelset I have, versus actually getting the tool set and always having it handy for this and any future needs. If I had a reason to go to the states I'd have it shipped there and then take it back across, but, alas, I don't.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VR6ix View Post
    Anyone know a LBS or CDN web retailer that sells them around $170? That's the going rate direct from Chris King, but they wont ship up here to Soviet Canuckistan for some reason. [URL="http://chrisking.com/tools/tls_hubs"]link[/URL
    I'm willing to bet it's Canadian distributors that won't allow them to ship here. Can you not get it at another online store and have them ship it to you here?

mtbr member
    My LBS has those tools

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids View Post
    I'm willing to bet it's Canadian distributors that won't allow them to ship here. Can you not get it at another online store and have them ship it to you here?
    Hence my post: anyone know of any CDN web-retailers with the tool at a reasonable price? I'm ready to drop something like $800 on an order at ChainReactionCycles, but they don't have that tool in-stock and they want an extra $60 over $USD list price if it ever shows-up as "in stock".

Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    My LBS has those tools
    What does a front&rear hub overhaul run at shop rate? My guess is $30-$50 or maybe WAY more, which means if I grab an extra set or two of used 26" wheelsets with King hubs in the near future I've already paid for the tool just in shop fees alone. I love the 29er craze because it's way easier to find deals on used high-end 26" stuff.

Thanks for your responses guys, truly I do appreciate your help - I just think that short-term I'm better-off borrowing the tools from someone, or bucking-up and buy myself a set at a reasonable cost.
    why does mtbr.com have no :beer: icon???

GAME ON!
    give hammer city cycle a call. i know he has the tool and the rates are pretty fair.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Anyone have one that they're willing to lend-out for a week or just a weekend? In exchange for frosty beverages of your choosing, of course!

Anyone know a LBS or CDN web retailer that sells them around $170? That's the going rate direct from Chris King, but they wont ship up here to Soviet Canuckistan for some reason. link

I'm on the fence about just getting a shop to overhaul this used wheelset I have, versus actually getting the tool set and always having it handy for this and any future needs. If I had a reason to go to the states I'd have it shipped there and then take it back across, but, alas, I don't.

Cheers.
    Try Aspire Velotech for all your CK needs. They have REALLY fair shipping prices to Canada, and they carry the entire Chris King line up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macming View Post
    Try Aspire Velotech for all your CK needs. They have REALLY fair shipping prices to Canada, and they carry the entire Chris King line up.
    thanks guys, that place is great! ... but... they're out of stock. doh!

mtbr member
    Where are you located ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    Where are you located ?
    located in the big ol' city of Woodstock, I work just West of Cambridge - willing to drive, to a certain extent.

wish I could find an easy way to simply buy the tool... if someone lends me the tool, I'd still need the ring-drive lube.

Just realized I should post a pic of what I'm talking about: it's the one on the left, not the R45 version

http://chrisking.com/files/images/tools/Picture4.png

if anyone else is in the same boat, this was a good thread to skim: Chris King Needle Bearing & Tool Question

GAME ON!
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    gawd-damn! did I mention that I don't do eBay and never want to? wow... thanks for the link! I am so very torn right now... gah!

$20 to the eBay aficionado that buys this on my behalf, for local West-GTA-ish pick-up, paid in person with cash and paid in advance, if absolutely necessary

ups and downs
    Universal Cycles has them in stock for $169, but add the vip10 coupon code and there's 10% off

Universal Cycles -- Chris King Hub Servicing Tool
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Universal Cycles has them in stock for $169, but add the vip10 coupon code and there's 10% off

Universal Cycles -- Chris King Hub Servicing Tool
    that's for the r45 road hubs

also, i can buy on ebay if you give a max price and come pick it up with cash... and you service my king hub.
    RIP Adam Yauch

ups and downs
    that's for the r45 road hubs

also, i can buy on ebay if you give a max price and come pick it up with cash... and you service my king hub.
    That link is the regular tool and the R45 tool listing, both $169.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    haha, too late, I put an order in with Universal. Now to play the waiting game!

Once the tool is in my hands and my wheelset is done, I'll update the post to be "Chris King hub service tool AVAILABLE for rent"

thanks for the help folks! cheers

mtbr member
    Pardon my ignore but what is the purpose of this tool? All my Chris king bearings have been steller, and if needed, I can service the bearings with them pressed in place.

mtbr member
    Pardon my ignore but what is the purpose of this tool? All my Chris king bearings have been stellar, and if needed, I can service the bearings with them pressed in place.
    I bought a used bike, from Arizona, that never saw bearing service on the hubs or suspension pivots for 4 or 5 years. It's not so much the hub bearings, which yes you don't need the tool to add more grease - what I want to do is a complete tear-down and rebuild of the ring-drive in the rear hub and completely flush the bearings clean.

Having the tool also makes things easier in the future if I find a deal on other used wheels with King hubs.

mtbr member
    I bought a used bike, from Arizona, that never saw bearing service on the hubs or suspension pivots for 4 or 5 years. It's not so much the hub bearings, which yes you don't need the tool to add more grease - what I want to do is a complete tear-down and rebuild of the ring-drive in the rear hub and completely flush the bearings clean.

Having the tool also makes things easier in the future if I find a deal on other used wheels with King hubs.
    Aahh I find even with minimal service , ck hubs stay in really good shape

I have greased my ring drive a few times, but it really wasn't needed.

But it never hurts to do a proper tear down, and having the proper tool is a good start

GAME ON!
    Aahh I find even with minimal service , ck hubs stay in really good shape

I have greased my ring drive a few times, but it really wasn't needed.

But it never hurts to do a proper tear down, and having the proper tool is a good start
    gotta have something to do in the winter.
    RIP Adam Yauch