Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    More than a little slow

New question here. Chico stage race 2008 ????

Does anyone have any insider information on next year's promised stage race from the boys at Chico Racing?
    Especially the 'when' and the 'where'.
    Even vague information would be good.
    A rumour would be even better, life is kinda slow right now.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Hang tight Dave...I believe there may be some information forthcoming in the next few weeks, but that may have changed if things haven't been confirmed. I check Chico's site daily for information, but nothing yet...I agree with you, things are definitely a little slow these days...That time of year I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by dskunk
    Does anyone have any insider information on next year's promised stage race from the boys at Chico Racing?
    Especially the 'when' and the 'where'.
    Even vague information would be good.
    A rumour would be even better, life is kinda slow right now.
    Cheers, Dave
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Ha, I was wondering about that also. I think something was mentioned about a low cap on registry so a was hoping that everyone forgot about the event. In the spring talks of registry was supposed to be right around now.

mtbr member
    I can see this as a July event. I don't think the boys from Chico would want to try running a 24 hour and a stage event in the same month. It will be interesting to see the route they come up with.

http://matthewspak.blogspot.com/
    http://www.rideblue.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was also thinking about this event yesterday, when I was contemplating what races I was going to do next year.
    So nobody knows anything yet?
    I'm hoping that we will be able to do this event solo as I never have anyone to team up with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Rumour mongering.....

I heard 3 days in September in the near North, but not necessarily the long weekend.

mtbr member
    The word on the street is that may be the case, but I don't want to rumour monger.

Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    I was also thinking about this event yesterday, when I was contemplating what races I was going to do next year.
    So nobody knows anything yet?
    I'm hoping that we will be able to do this event solo as I never have anyone to team up with.

More than a little slow
    Ahhhh.
    Well, it's nice to know that there are others out there thinking about this race.
    July would work for me. September might be more difficult.
    I've never done a partner stage race ( never done a stage race either ) but it could be interesting to have to hook up with someone rather than just doing it alone.
    Racergurl, shouldn't be too difficult to hook up with someone from here if we have to go with partners eh? You could always go with a mixed team.
    Where is the near North? Bancroft-ish?
    Cheers, Dave

sock puppet

september is the rumour...

july is reserved for BCBR... august for TR, september for this one... 3-4 days, sub 1000 for entry fee, most likely in 800ish range, sleeping indoors, everything included...

most likely team race, 150ish teams...

haliburton forest should be included...

Ahhhh.
    Well, it's nice to know that there are others out there thinking about this race.
    I've never done a partner stage race ( never done a stage race either ) but it could be interesting to have to hook up with someone rather than just doing it alone.
    Racergurl, shouldn't be too difficult to hook up with someone from here if we have to go with partners eh? You could always go with a mixed team.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I would like to see this run similar to the races out west etc with teams of two and longish stages 80-100k. My two cents. SHould be fun

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Ok - I'm more than interested...I guess we now patiently await for more information.
    Jouko

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    july is reserved for BCBR... august for TR, september for this one... ...
    This is what I heard. Which bums me out. Working in education, September is busy, busy, busy and taking anytime off is likely not an option.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ahhhh.
    Cheers, Dave
    Hmmmm, is that an offer, dskunk? Mixed team sounds good to me. There are very few women whose company that I can stand for more then a day.

God, I can't believe that we are going to have to wait until next September (according to Osokolo) to do this race?

sock puppet

That IS THE WAY...

the race will be run, from what i know... they will even have the"naked mile" at the request from noggs...

Quote Originally Posted by north_of_us
    I would like to see this run similar to the races out west etc with teams of two and longish stages 80-100k. My two cents. SHould be fun

Singlespeed Mysty

even if...

Quote Originally Posted by tapsa
    Ok - I'm more than interested...I guess we now patiently await for more information.
    you have to take it all off for the naked mile?

the race will be run, from what i know... they will even have the"naked mile" at the request from noggs...
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

sock puppet

not really...

you have to leave the lid on... just the lid...

Quote Originally Posted by 1mystk
    you have to take it all off for the naked mile?

More than a little slow
    Hmmmm, is that an offer, dskunk? Mixed team sounds good to me. There are very few women whose company that I can stand for more then a day.
    Well... there are very few women who can stand my company for more than a day....consider that a warning.
    Tell ya what, if there are no teams then we will race against each other as mortal enemies ( although in separate cats ), but if there are teams then we race under the same flag. That's an offer eh?
    Cheers, Dave

No. Just No.
    Tell ya what, if there are no teams then we will race against each other as mortal enemies
    I plan to glue myself to the rear wheel of the mighty dskunk for every stage, and then just try to grit my teeth and hang on for dear life.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Naked mile or not, you must protect the head and keep it covered!!

Jouko

Singlespeed Mysty

just the lid?

hmm... I will have to remember to bring my wide angle lens to make sure I get it all in ...

Quote Originally Posted by tapsa
    Naked mile or not, you must protect the head and keep it covered!!
    imagine crashing your bike while stark naked ... eeghads ... forget your head... what about other parts

all that just for a t-shirt or stickers or some such ...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sounds like a plan!

Well... there are very few women who can stand my company for more than a day....consider that a warning.
    Tell ya what, if there are no teams then we will race against each other as mortal enemies ( although in separate cats ), but if there are teams then we race under the same flag. That's an offer eh?
    Cheers, Dave
    But seriously, dskunk, you are way too fast to team up with the likes of me. Obviously finding a partner with similar abilities, speed and endurance wise, is quite an important factor. Mortal enemies it is then.
    Don't see why people can't be given the option to race solo or team in this event.

As for that naked mile thing. Count me out. That's just nasty! All those poor bike seats.

sock puppet

well, then you keep the shorts on....

topless is acceptable as well...

team race is something to remember - way more than individual... dont forget the safety aspect as well...

But seriously, dskunk, you are way too fast to team up with the likes of me. Obviously finding a partner with similar abilities, speed and endurance wise, is quite an important factor. Mortal enemies it is then.
    Don't see why people can't be given the option to race solo or team in this event.

As for that naked mile thing. Count me out. That's just nasty! All those poor bike seats.

sock puppet

depends...

who you crash with...

hmm... I will have to remember to bring my wide angle lens to make sure I get it all in ...

imagine crashing your bike while stark naked ... eeghads ... forget your head... what about other parts

all that just for a t-shirt or stickers or some such ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    September 2008 (between two dates)

3 days, 2 person teams, we almost have the preliminary course dialed 80km - 90km per day. It will most likely begin at Buckwallow and end in Halburton region.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    topless is acceptable as well...

team race is something to remember - way more than individual... dont forget the safety aspect as well...
    If I attempted to ride topless on my HT my boobs would be an inch lower after that mile. All that bouncing. Wouldn't subject my girls to that kind of torture.

sock puppet

hallelujah boys...

Quote Originally Posted by chicoracing

3 days, 2 person teams, we almost have the preliminary course dialed 80km - 90km per day. It will most likely begin at Buckwallow and end in Halburton region.
    will you please pencil me down...

team Nucking Futs...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Teams eh? Well, I'm screwed for this one then. Bummer. Guess I'll concentrate on my 24 hour solo goal for next year instead.

Thanks for letting us know some of the details anyway.

sock puppet
    ?????? why oh why???????

you have 11 months to find yourself a partner, male or female... are you kidding me????

why wouldnt you??????

Singlespeed Mysty

just don't do a phone in entry...

will you please pencil me down...

team Nucking Futs...
    and sir, how do you spell that?

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

sock puppet

heh...

no kidding... i had to spell it 5 times when i was registering for Fall Epic... the girl on the other side of the line was giggling all the time...

and sir, how do you spell that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ?????? why oh why???????

you have 11 months to find yourself a partner, male or female... are you kidding me????

why wouldnt you??????

Okay, okay, I'll try.
    Crap, the only woman I've ever really gotten along with was 50 years old, who I used to work with and she ain't into biking, just boozing. She was a blast though!
    I can't just ride with anyone. I'd want to kill most people after riding with them for 3 days.

To apply to be my partner one must:

Have a wicked, perverted, outrageous sense of humor
    Not whine about rain, climbing or technical downhills
    Have an eccentric personality
    Must not be at all boring, boring is BAD
    Must be able to tolerate my loud, long and smelly farts (just kidding, maybe)
    Must be willing to engage in loud, long burping competitions
    Must not have bad body odor
    Must be slightly slower then me in case we get chased by a pack of wolves, a bear, or rabid squirrels

sock puppet

geez...

how did you manage to get married????

Okay, okay, I'll try.
    Crap, the only woman I've ever really gotten along with was 50 years old, who I used to work with and she ain't into biking, just boozing. She was a blast though!
    I can't just ride with anyone. I'd want to kill most people after riding with them for 3 days.

Must be slightly slower then me in case we get chased by a pack of wolves, a bear, or rabid squirrels

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    how did you manage to get married????

I have no idea!

This is no doubt going to be an amazing race. Wow, Buckwallow to Haliburton. Nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

See I wasn't rumour mongering....

From Chicoracing.com:

We realize people are in the process of putting together their 2008 event season so we thought we would let riders know about something big for 2008.

We are in the process of finalizing an epic stage event in the Muskoka and Haliburton region of Ontario for September of 2008. This will be a 3-day format with approximate distances of 80-100 km per day.

I doubt I'll be able to do it (work, family, legs, lungs...), but good for them. I hope the rest of the people on this thread do it. I'll read the inevitable build-up thread next September and then check the results.

Singlespeed Mysty

here's my resume...does it matter if I suck?

check - I am one of the filthiest girls you will ever meet , I speak my mind, and laugh at myself all the time...

I've gone riding in the rain & snow... best time was a downpour where being sweaty didn't matter cause I was as wet as a sheepdog that had been hosed down...

boring? ME? gosh..never... I'll leave you in stitches - the good kind... I am Robin Williams reincarnated in a womans' body and not as hairy as he is...

eccentric personality... dictionary.com...hmmm... ok...

if I can tolerate three boxers farting on a daily basis, then I don't think I will even notice if you do...

burping competitions? bring it on SISTAR!!! ... pass the milk please... milk burps are the best kind...

I do beleive in lady speed stick, so no worries about the smelly part...

I am slower, trust me... and as far as bears, wolves and other furry creatures... I am the animal whisperer... they won't give us a problem...

so... do I make the cut??

Oggie can be my reference... since he knows me and can account for most of my above qualifications...

oh yeah... Noggs too... and AndrewTO... they can account for some of those too...

Oh Oggie dear... did I leave anything out???

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

More than a little slow

the courtship dances are about to begin (have begun?)

Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    I plan to glue myself to the rear wheel of the mighty dskunk for every stage, and then just try to grit my teeth and hang on for dear life.
    Circlip, I'm beginning to believe that you are a lying son of a b... .
    Are you going to come back this way for Solstice and this stage race?
    That would be cool. Seems like there would be more of a chance to socialize at a stage race ( vs your no pits rule ). You and PJ on a team would be interesting eh? and fast, as long as you didn't kill each other. I'm going to have to start shopping around for a partner now that racergurl has rejected me
    By the way, racergurl, I'm not fast, I just play dirty . You start shopping for a partner and I will too, and if no one likes us by the end of next summer, well then you could always suffer with me.

PS Chico... thanks for the teaser info. And thanks for doing this race,I'm really starting to look forward to it

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That would be cool. Seems like there would be more of a chance to socialize at a stage race ( vs your no pits rule ). You and PJ on a team would be interesting eh? and fast, as long as you didn't kill each other. I'm going to have to start shopping around for a partner now that racergurl has rejected me
    By the way, racergurl, I'm not fast, I just play dirty . You start shopping for a partner and I will too, and if no one likes us by the end of next summer, well then you could always suffer with me.

PS Chico... thanks for the teaser info. And thanks for doing this race,I'm really starting to look forward to it

Sounds like a plan dskunk. You're on!
    Last edited by racergurl; 11-05-2007 at 04:18 AM.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Okay, you've already got me laughing,,

check - I am one of the filthiest girls you will ever meet , I speak my mind, and laugh at myself all the time...

I've gone riding in the rain & snow... best time was a downpour where being sweaty didn't matter cause I was as wet as a sheepdog that had been hosed down...

boring? ME? gosh..never... I'll leave you in stitches - the good kind... I am Robin Williams reincarnated in a womans' body and not as hairy as he is...

eccentric personality... dictionary.com...hmmm... ok...

if I can tolerate three boxers farting on a daily basis, then I don't think I will even notice if you do...

burping competitions? bring it on SISTAR!!! ... pass the milk please... milk burps are the best kind...

I do beleive in lady speed stick, so no worries about the smelly part...

I am slower, trust me... and as far as bears, wolves and other furry creatures... I am the animal whisperer... they won't give us a problem...

so... do I make the cut??

Oggie can be my reference... since he knows me and can account for most of my above qualifications...

oh yeah... Noggs too... and AndrewTO... they can account for some of those too...

Totally no fair that you have THREE dogs! I'm in the process of trying to convince my husband to let me get a second one.

Hmmmm, yes, your resume is quite impressive indeed! I have yet to meet a woman who can defeat my window shaking belches. If we meet at the winter W.O.W we will have to take each other up on that challenge, while all the other riders stare at us in utter disgust.

And I totally luv Robin Williams.

This could work. We've got almost a year to train our butts off.
    High on Life

Singlespeed Mysty

5 on the Richter magnitude scale

Totally no fair that you have THREE dogs! I'm in the process of trying to convince my husband to let me get a second one.

Hmmmm, yes, your resume is quite impressive indeed! I have yet to meet a woman who can defeat my window shaking belches. If we meet at the winter W.O.W we will have to take each other up on that challenge, while all the other riders stare at us in utter disgust.

And I totally luv Robin Williams.

This could work. We've got almost a year to train our butts off.
    last burp was devastating...

yes, three dogs... boxers at that - and they can sure belch too... we always have competitions they are best known for their silent bomb attacks of farts... let's not talk about that...

tell your hubby that dogs are better in pairs... and if he is still not convinced, you two are more than welcome to drop by my house and be slobbered on by three boxer babies...

so how good are you? do I need to train 5 days a week to be at speed with you? I have only been riding a year... if I set my mind to it, I may just be able to pull this off ... maybe this is where you will give me the FORGETABOOOOTIT...

yes, Oggie dear... I can just hear you mumbling in the rafters... "get yourself a real bike"... shhh... don't let Noggy Noodles Poodles Boodles hear you say that... he may just cry...
    Attached Images Attached Images

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm not that fast. I get my butt kicked regularily at the O-Cups.

And for me, this race isn't all about winning or even getting up on that podium, though it would be awesome if it did happen. My main goal is to have a great time, take in some scenery and new trails and harass as many guys as possible along the way.
    Now, still, it would be nice to be somewhat competitive as it is a race afterall. We've got lots of time to train!

Oh, and your puppies are gorgeous! Okay, that could totally be taken the wrong way.
    High on Life

Singlespeed Mysty

harass as many guys as possible along the way you say??

I'm not that fast. I get my butt kicked regularily at the O-Cups.

And for me, this race isn't all about winning or even getting up on that podium, though it would be awesome if it did happen. My main goal is to have a great time, take in some scenery and new trails and harass as many guys as possible along the way.
    Now, still, it would be nice to be somewhat competitive as it is a race afterall. We've got lots of time to train!

Oh, and your puppies are gorgeous! Okay, that could totally be taken the wrong way.
    racergirl, I like your style of thinking already (high five) ...

my puppies? I don't have any of the other sort ... although if they were guaranteed to grow from all that bouncing if we go topless on that naked mile - then I'm in!

and as for the puppy puppies... look how innocent... who would ever know the fowl stench that comes from their bums... ok, it's not that bad... they are on a healthy diet afterall...

lots of time to train ... and O-Cup racer you are? lord have mercy on my soul... I best start hitting the trainer and riding as much as I can... maybe I should join a gym...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Hmmm...I'd be interested if it wasn't a team thing. I don't understand why you need a partner - I can see why they do it in the TR and BCBR, but for only a 3 day race in Ontario?

That's too bad, I was really looking forward to this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill
    Hmmm...I'd be interested if it wasn't a team thing. I don't understand why you need a partner - I can see why they do it in the TR and BCBR, but for only a 3 day race in Ontario?

I seem to recall hearing that the original 24 solo racer was someone signing up his 'family' and then showing up all alone on race day.

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    There might be a solo category as well. We are still thinking about that.

sock puppet

no tents..

Sounds like a plan dskunk. You're on!
    Curious about the sleeping accomodations though. We wouldn't have to share a room/tent would we?
    it will be room accomodation...

sock puppet

why?

what is your problem with a team concept? you dont have friends that ride?

sock puppet

yes...

you would do a naked mile in a heartbeat...

No. Just No.
    Wha, wha, wha, what??? I have no idea what you're implying.

That would be cool.
    In a perfect world I'd like to hit both, but I am also pretty thick into plans for Trans Rockies (not 100% decided) and the combination of all 3 in a single year might not be realistic, even though it would be nice to have a pair of trips to visit family and friends. I suspect 2 of 3 is all that I'll be able to manage.

Seems like there would be more of a chance to socialize at a stage race ( vs your no pits rule ).
    Hey, I'm the chattiest guy around when I'm out on the course. So much so that I think I've caused a few people to slow down and drop back because they simply can't stand to hear me yapping at them non stop. With respect to the the pit stops, it's kind of difficult to find time to stop when I'm losing for the entire freakin' 24 hours to the Michigan wonder boy. You might not remember it, but the previous time in 2005 I did come and hang out at your campfire with you for about 10 minutes (ooh, ahh...) because I had a big gap to work with.

You and PJ on a team would be interesting eh? and fast, as long as you didn't kill each other.
    I can't see PJ spending money to travel to race in Ontario, so I don't think that's in the cards, but yes that would certainly be an interesting idea. Since A.G. is taking a hiatus as my usual partner for any duo/tag events, I have another candidate already cooked up to stand in for him in the meanwhile, until such time as he's ready to return to action. The whole "no pit stops" deal is his fault anyhow, since last time he was running support for me he refused to actually set up a pit area. His reasoning was that I was supposed to be on the course all the time so that I shouldn't need a pit area. Looked pretty silly having a whole campsite with one lonely lawn chair plunked in the middle of it.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*

Question on how a Stage Race works...

I don't want to sound like a total 'tard here but could someone please explain to me how a 2 Person Team "Stage Race" works...

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Looking for Adventure

Like it already !

Keep it a team thing......you don't want anti-social misfits to dampen the festivities. It will also attract the adventure racing types, who do team events on a regular basis.

Don't forget about Leslie Frost Conservation Centre......good stuff in there too.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    Good point...We should expect lots of fireroad, snowmobile trails, and not much singletrack. Just don't won't anyone to be disappointed, but outside the Buckwallow meca, there's not a lot of singletrack available up there for this type of event with the distance...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Like it already !

Keep it a team thing......you don't want anti-social misfits to dampen the festivities. It will also attract the adventure racing types, who do team events on a regular basis.

Don't forget about Leslie Frost Conservation Centre......good stuff in there too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Anti-social, haven't been called that since high school..

Like it already !

Awwww what's wrong with wanting to go solo? I don't think that automatically makes a person anti-social.

Maybe we don't have friends who ride. Or maybe our team mates can't do the race at that time of the year, for whatever reason.
    Or maybe some of us just prefer our own company.

Believe me, I'm anything but anti-social on the trail. Just ask anyone who rides with me.
    Still, I'd love to do this race solo. I mean what if your teamie is injured or unable to continue after a stage or two? Then what happens? What if they back out at the last minute after you've spent all year training your butt off for this race?

Please don't hate me 1mystik, but if there is a solo category, I just couldn't resist going it alone.

Please chicoracing, I'm down on my knees and begging you please!
    Last edited by racergurl; 11-05-2007 at 04:29 AM.
    High on Life

Looking for Adventure
    Awwww what's wrong with wanting to go solo? I don't think that automatically makes a person anti-social.

Maybe we don't have friends who ride. Or maybe our team mates can't do the race at that time of the year, for whatever reason.
    Or maybe some of us just prefer our own company.

Believe me, I'm anything but anti-social on the trail. Just ask anyone who rides with me.
    Still, I'd love to do this race solo. I mean what if your teamie is injured or unable to continue after a stage or two? Then what happens? What if they back out at the last minute after you've spent all year training your butt off for this race?

Please don't hate me 1mystik, but if there is a solo category, I just couldn't resist going it alone. We could still party it up during the evening together. I may be anti-social, but baby, I still know how to have a good time.

Please chicoracing, I'm down on my knees and begging you please!
    Not talking about you silly girl. I'm sure you will find a team mate.....doesn't have to be your closest friend......you got 11 months child !!!!! Mountain bikers are friendly to begin with......how hard can it be.

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Good point...We should expect lots of fireroad, snowmobile trails, and not much singletrack. Just don't won't anyone to be disappointed, but outside the Buckwallow meca, there's not a lot of singletrack available up there for this type of event with the distance...
    Just be warned, some of the snowmobile and ATV trails can be pretty nasty and hairy. I got a good taste of them 2 years ago on an adventure race in that area.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    I don't want to sound like a total 'tard here but could someone please explain to me how a 2 Person Team "Stage Race" works...
    Simple ; the rules specify that you must always be within X distance of your partner (100 feet for example). It's mostly a safety issue, since it's impossible to guarantee that marshal or aid stations will always be within a couple of km, and in the event of injury or getting lost off the course having a partner ensures there will always be someone there to help.

Not trying to sound like I'm preaching on this item, but the whole concept behind a multi-day stage race is to expose mountain bikers who are accustomed to racing alone to the feeling of what it's like to work as a team, and figure out how to balance the relative strengths and weaknesses of the 2 riders. Obviously this gets tricky at times, and can even strain partnerships to the breaking point. If you go solo you're missing half the challenge and opportunity for self-development. It's not just about who turns the cranks over the quickest. Just my $0.02

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

No worries Ricksom,,,

Not talking about you silly girl. I'm sure you will find a team mate.....doesn't have to be your closest friend......you got 11 months child !!!!! Mountain bikers are friendly to begin with......how hard can it be.
    I'm just being a goof. Can't wait to hear more details about this race.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Rules often specify that you must pass the control points withtin 2 minutes of each other, time penalty the first transgression, DQ the second time.

There are lots of partners waiting just ahead of aid stations.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Depends on the course ...

Why do you need a partner? Two reasons:

1. Safety, same reason why they don't allow you to get separated from your partner by more than 2 minutes in these races. I did the BCBR this year and there were plenty of injuries and people going off course. Now you could say that this is Ontario and not BC - terrain is not as tough and you're never really in the wilderness (at least in the "Near North" where this is going to be staged). However, the injuries I saw at BCBR weren't off 10 foot drops or massive downhills, they were in seemingly innocent spots where things went bad (especially when people are tired). BTW, the worst injuries at BCBR were suffered by a couple of the best teams. Also, going off course is still a problem even in the Near North - you can spend all day going in circles and completely miss that road or cottage just 500m from you. Given the length of these courses, event personnel can't cover all the terrain - support stations are usually 30-40km apart. The idea is for each team to be self sufficient for a period of time. It should not be up to other racers to support you (although we would).

2. The team concept is integral to this kind of race. Since you can't be separated by more than two minutes, it adds another dimension to racing - team dynamics. You will be very lucky if nothing goes wrong in a stage race, or both of you feel good every day. How you handle these adversities as a team effects your result. It's amazing how many teams fall apart once the race starts.

Bottom line is that this is a different kind of racing with different dynamics - just as 24 hour is different than an O'Cup is different than an Enduro.

More than a little slow
    Wha, wha, wha, what??? I have no idea what you're implying.
    Ha! That's OK, I have trouble understanding myself too sometimes.

And while we are discussing the rules of team stage races, have ya'll seen this site?
    http://www.mtbtransuk.co.uk/
    They have a different take on running a stage race. I think Ricksom especially might appreciate this style of race even more than an A to B type stage race.
    Not that we necessarily need a race like this here but it is an interesting concept.
    Any one want to take a vacation in England in a year or two?
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ha! That's OK, I have trouble understanding myself too sometimes.

And while we are discussing the rules of team stage races, have ya'll seen this site?
    http://www.mtbtransuk.co.uk/
    They have a different take on running a stage race. I think Ricksom especially might appreciate this style of race even more than an A to B type stage race.
    Not that we necessarily need a race like this here but it is an interesting concept.
    Any one want to take a vacation in England in a year or two?
    Cheers, Dave
    The TransUK sounds somewhat like the Paris-Dakar motor race, with timed Special stages linked together by Liaison stages.

I have an intrested in doing one of these orienteering events -
    http://www.polarischallenge.com/ -

Mind you I have an interest in just about any style of endurance race, since this body was not built for speed.

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

mtbr member
    what is your problem with a team concept? you dont have friends that ride?
    I ride a SS, and all my friends ride geared bikes, so if we were on a team, we would be yo yoing back and forth. So what's the point?

Group rides are one thing, but racing is a totally different story.

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh (Canada)
    I have an intrested in doing one of these orienteering events -
    http://www.polarischallenge.com/ -

Stosh
    Now that sounds really fun !

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Trust me the course will be uber-challenging with Haliburton Forest most likely being the finishing circuit (some singletrack there as well as Buckwallow). Expect some tough ATV trails, and there will be the occasional bog crossing, but it will contain some singletrack. This will not be a ride in the park as most of the ATV trails are very rocky.

mtbr member
    I totally hear ya. I did the TR last year with a partner (of course). I had an amazing time, and I will always cherish the experience as one of the greatest weeks of riding and hanging out with one of my best friends.

We got along great all week, never having any personal issues.

That being said, my preference is solo endurance races. I did a 100km race on my SS this year in New Hampshire - solo, and it was in the wilderness with the same dangers and safety issues mentioned. I didn't see or hear about any out of ordinary incidents.

Like I said in my previous post, the TR and BCBC are totally different. I stand by my statement that 3 days in Ontario should not receive the same treatment for safety concerns.

the original big ring
    I totally hear ya. I did the TR last year with a partner (of course). I had an amazing time, and I will always cherish the experience as one of the greatest weeks of riding and hanging out with one of my best friends.

We got along great all week, never having any personal issues.

That being said, my preference is solo endurance races. I did a 100km race on my SS this year in New Hampshire - solo, and it was in the wilderness with the same dangers and safety issues mentioned. I didn't see or hear about any out of ordinary incidents.

Like I said in my previous post, the TR and BCBC are totally different. I stand by my statement that 3 days in Ontario should not receive the same treatment for safety concerns.
    I agree . . . .

I'd much rather ride this shorter event (compared to TR or BCBR) as a solo. If the course is well marked and CP's on route - it shouldn't be an issues.
    Looks like Chico is considering a solo category anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I think this is more of a try and see for chico with maybe a larger event in 2009. If its the case then this is a mtb stage race and teams it is. Its a different style of racing, something like adventure racing and I think its about time we have in Ontario.

sock puppet

well said...

totally agree

team concept adds a totally new dimension to this race... no doubt about it... greater sense of achievement as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Draystex
    Why do you need a partner? Two reasons:

1. Safety, same reason why they don't allow you to get separated from your partner by more than 2 minutes in these races. I did the BCBR this year and there were plenty of injuries and people going off course. Now you could say that this is Ontario and not BC - terrain is not as tough and you're never really in the wilderness (at least in the "Near North" where this is going to be staged). However, the injuries I saw at BCBR weren't off 10 foot drops or massive downhills, they were in seemingly innocent spots where things went bad (especially when people are tired). BTW, the worst injuries at BCBR were suffered by a couple of the best teams. Also, going off course is still a problem even in the Near North - you can spend all day going in circles and completely miss that road or cottage just 500m from you. Given the length of these courses, event personnel can't cover all the terrain - support stations are usually 30-40km apart. The idea is for each team to be self sufficient for a period of time. It should not be up to other racers to support you (although we would).

2. The team concept is integral to this kind of race. Since you can't be separated by more than two minutes, it adds another dimension to racing - team dynamics. You will be very lucky if nothing goes wrong in a stage race, or both of you feel good every day. How you handle these adversities as a team effects your result. It's amazing how many teams fall apart once the race starts.

Bottom line is that this is a different kind of racing with different dynamics - just as 24 hour is different than an O'Cup is different than an Enduro.

mtbr member
    There might be a solo category as well. We are still thinking about that.
    Great to hear!! Thanks for considering the solo category.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I know the team concept has its following here, but really, what team tactics are there in mountain biking? In road biking the answer is obvious. In adventure racing, there are navigation tasks and other obstacles that must be tackled as a team. On mountain bikes on a signed course, I don't see anything other than the faster rider waiting for the slower rider just before the check point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay.
    I know the team concept has its following here, but really, what team tactics are there in mountain biking? In road biking the answer is obvious. In adventure racing, there are navigation tasks and other obstacles that must be tackled as a team. On mountain bikes on a signed course, I don't see anything other than the faster rider waiting for the slower rider just before the check point.
    The only team experience I have was doing the TR last year.

The way we worked together was the stronger rider carried more weight, gave positive encouragement, and sometimes pushed the rider up hills if they were hurting, and of course, doing the majority of the pulling on flat road type sections.

It is a wonderful feeling of being on a team, when you are used to racing solo. It's also nice to know someone has your back when things go bad.

Another way we worked together was dealing with bike maintenance and mechanicals during the race. For example when a chain needed oil, we had the stronger rider sprint ahead to get the lube out, wait, apply lube and let the other rider go ahead and eventually catch up. This worked great for us to save time by working together.

At the end of the day, I still like to suffer in my own world of pain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I really don't see why the team concept should be "integral to this type of racing." It's a stage race. A type of bicycle race that's been run for a hundred years with a simple way to declare a winner: the fastest person wins. I think advocates of the whole team dynamic are mostly slower racers who would rather be there "for the experience...." rather than to fully expose their own strengths and weaknesses and truly see where they stand. That, to me at least, is what XC racing is all about. If you're looking for a feel-good experience do a short adventure race, join a 24hr MTB team, hell, do a triathlon -- but please, let's make this thing a bike race!

That said, I'll do this one either way. And I can see how the "feel good gang" are the bread and butter for mountain bike races these days. I'd obviously prefer a solo format but I'm just stoked that Chico and crew are even attempting this. Good work guys!

mtbr member
    I hate to be harsh, but I think you are thinking in a rather narrow focus. The team aspect adds many elements to the race. Keeping two bikes in working order and pacing between two riders. The comraderie of the experience is definitely something to be valued. I have race many 24 hr races in the past, but still would love to do this as a two person team. Or solo for that matter. It's no less a bike race for making this team event. If you want a solo race, you might do as you have suggested and go ridethe OCUP series or a 24 race, where you would travel anywhere from 240-500 or more kms depending on your ability. We are very lucky the Chico team continues to offer us the variety of OCUP, 8 hr, 24 hr, and now this...Unfortunately, not everyone will be happy. Hope to see you out there regardless...Cheers.

N.

Quote Originally Posted by deaner
    I really don't see why the team concept should be "integral to this type of racing." It's a stage race. A type of bicycle race that's been run for a hundred years with a simple way to declare a winner: the fastest person wins. I think advocates of the whole team dynamic are mostly slower racers who would rather be there "for the experience...." rather than to fully expose their own strengths and weaknesses and truly see where they stand. That, to me at least, is what XC racing is all about. If you're looking for a feel-good experience do a short adventure race, join a 24hr MTB team, hell, do a triathlon -- but please, let's make this thing a bike race!

That said, I'll do this one either way. And I can see how the "feel good gang" are the bread and butter for mountain bike races these days. I'd obviously prefer a solo format but I'm just stoked that Chico and crew are even attempting this. Good work guys!

sock puppet

huh? who talked about you?

get your head out of your arse... your reasoning is so ignorant... one can be slow either solo or as part of the team, as well as the other way around...

it is harder to win this kind of race as a team, then as solo...although there may be other opinions...

have you done any of the major stage races like trans alps, or trans rockies or la ruta? what are you basing your "slower riders like team concept" theory?

you are entitled to your opinion and free to like whatever you want, but try not to insult those that dont agree with your view...

No. Just No.
    It's a stage race. A type of bicycle race that's been run for a hundred years with a simple way to declare a winner: the fastest person wins.
    Please provide an example of a long distance multi day stage race that's strictly won by the strength of the individual winner, as opposed to a large component of team input and effort. Hint : if your answer is the Tour de France or any other similar race, you should tiptoe away very quietly before looking foolish.

mtbr member
    Please provide an example of a long distance multi day stage race that's strictly won by the strength of the individual winner, as opposed to a large component of team input and effort. Hint : if your answer is the Tour de France or any other similar race, you should tiptoe away very quietly before looking foolish.
    I would say La Ruta is strictly won by the strength of an individual - especially if you are not Costa Rican!! Apparently the locals really help out their countryman. Read any of the blogs from the top US guys trying to win it. It is a huge individual up hill battle (pun intended). This race is a very tough 4 days.

Looking for Adventure
    I really don't see why the team concept should be "integral to this type of racing."
    I gather you have never raced as a true "team". A well put together team will make everyone go faster, longer, and smarter than if they went solo. Simple fact of life........that has been around for hundreds of years.

Give it a try one day. I'm willing to bet that for any long distance event, team's will generally finish faster than solos.......because long distance events take a lot more mental energy than physical energy to keep going without making stupid mistakes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Only a well matched dedicated team, will do better. Otherwise the time is that of the slower member, as helped by the faster member.

mtbr member
    I gather you have never raced as a true "team". A well put together team will make everyone go faster, longer, and smarter than if they went solo. Simple fact of life........that has been around for hundreds of years.

Give it a try one day. I'm willing to bet that for any long distance event, team's will generally finish faster than solos.......because long distance events take a lot more mental energy than physical energy to keep going without making stupid mistakes.
    This is actually quite an interesting discussion, if we can keep it non confrontational. I'm not sure what the outcome would be in terms of who would be faster - team or solo.

If I were to take an educated guess, I would say, the longer and tougher the event, the better a team would do compared with a solo. As others have pointed out, there is much to gain when you have someone else - a lot being mental.

I think the 3 day race format might sit right in the middle for giving an advantage either way. If Chico decides to allow both solos and teams, then we may see the results of this argument.

I'll be one of the solos drafting off the teams going a tad faster than me. :-))

Looking for Adventure
    In my other life as an adventure racer, the Co ed teams (yes, 3 person teams with at least one woman) consistently outdo the all male teams.......now ain't that something to think about !

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    As Overkill (Mike Mcgill !!!) stated below, La Ruta is a good example for this race to follow. But let's talk about the Tour de France, or any other road stage race for that matter, for a minute. You're right Circlip, obviously the winner is helped along the way by a team of riders, but with the exception (kind of) of a TTT the leader doesn't sit up and wait for the slowest teamate so they can cross the line high-fiving each other. The leader choses his or her moment and goes for it if they can -- it comes down to individual strength at that moment. Sure there may be a teamate along side if they can hang, but if they can't, and a threat is taking up off the road nobody's waiting...

That's not to say there's anything wrong with the two-person-joined-at-the-hip thing as used in Transalp, Transrockies etc. -- sorry, maybe I was a bit harsh earlier -- I just think of it as something closer to adventure racing. And that's of way less interest to me. It comes down to the team being as fast as the slowest member -- and I think that takes a lot of the "race" out of the race. I realize on some epic adventures, with all the drama, that the teamate may just be the difference between making the finish line or walking for hours, having a nervous breakdown, getting devoured by horseflies etc., But this thing's three four hour days on presumably clearly marked ATV trails -- it's not Borneo or something.

No. Just No.
    But let's talk about the Tour de France, or any other road stage race for that matter, for a minute. You're right Circlip, obviously the winner is helped along the way by a team of riders, but with the exception (kind of) of a TTT the leader doesn't sit up and wait for the slowest teamate so they can cross the line high-fiving each other. The leader choses his or her moment and goes for it if they can -- it comes down to individual strength at that moment. Sure there may be a teamate along side if they can hang, but if they can't, and a threat is taking up off the road nobody's waiting...
    Too simplistic. Often, the team's designated closer (whether a sprint or mountain top finish) is not the team's "strongest" rider. The majority of stage races are held as team competitions, where it would be almost impossible to win if you didn't have a strong team, regardless of whether or not you were the fittest individual rider.

Back on topic though, I just can't believe the whining about whether it's solo or 2-person. If it's a well-organized, fun, and challenging event then team or solo won't change that fact. I'd like to file this under the same category as people that b!tch about race course layouts.

mtbr member
    You couldn't have put this any better...Depending on the team, motivation of each other makes both faster, not slower as suggested...Lot's of psychological support.

And I am with you again on where to file this stuff. Unfortunately, you can't please everyone 100%, and this race will sell out in no time. So worrying about the more self focused individuals out there needn't be a concern. Oops, I was thinking aloud. And to anyone thinking it, I was definitely not making reference to solo riders. Just those that complain about formats that don't suit their specific needs.

Cheers,

Neil

Too simplistic. Often, the team's designated closer (whether a sprint or mountain top finish) is not the team's "strongest" rider. The majority of stage races are held as team competitions, where it would be almost impossible to win if you didn't have a strong team, regardless of whether or not you were the fittest individual rider.

Back on topic though, I just can't believe the whining about whether it's solo or 2-person. If it's a well-organized, fun, and challenging event then team or solo won't change that fact. I'd like to file this under the same category as people that b!tch about race course layouts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Stage races aren't really team competitions. Nobody cares about the team classification -- the teams are there to help the fastest rider. The guy with the fastest time over the entire race wins -- it is simple. The ways in which the team help out are often complicated and fascinating -- but one thing they certainly don't do is hold back the team leader while others ride away. If he's got the legs he goes!

You're right all this "whining" is ridiculous... what with California burning, the arctic melting, and Dog Bounty Hunter on T.V. -- what was I thinking!? I've got sh!t to do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Do you by chance have a twin sister that is single? Twins share traits I hope. Of the 3 animals listed I would fear the rabid squirrels the most. Hard to out cycle a pack of rabid squirrels.

Steve

mtbr member
    I think it is important to offer a solo format, if possible. There are many racers out there who cannot train with partners and/or prefer to rely on their own ability through a race. This does not diminish the team format in any way.

Personally, I would be horrified to be in a team and drag my partner(s) down.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was wondering what the heck all the bit&*in was about. Who really cares wether someone rides the race as a team or as a solo rider? It will be a challenge to ride this course with a team mate and it will be a challenge to ride it solo. Each has it's positive and negative elements. I was quite shocked/disappointed to see how many people are against there being the possibility of a solo category being offered. I see it as a way to get even more people out for this event so that it is a great success. Hopefully it will become another one of Chicoracings infamous yearly events!
    Last edited by racergurl; 10-24-2007 at 08:16 AM.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have kept my eye on this forum for feedback.

We are going to offer an individual and team aspect to this event. Some want to have the team aspect, others just want to race it on their own. There is no right or wrong on how you want to participate, and we would like to sell out the 350 participant spots (limited for the first year).

We are completing some of the other details that will let us move forward on this event so stay tuned.

We are going to house all of the 350 participants in cabins at summer camps (no tents, but bring ear plugs in case of snoring). To be frank I am not big on tents, so it isn't something I'd like to subject my customers to. If this event grows in the future we are most likely going to put some of you in tents for at least one of the nights..... I'm staying in a cabin for sure!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yes!!!! Oh yes, yes, yes, yes! Doing my happy dance right now! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

And not having to sleep in tents is the best thing of all!
    High on Life

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    ...There are many racers out there who cannot train with partners and/or prefer to rely on their own ability through a race.
    then these riders are flawed...ANYONE can be fast alone.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

sock puppet

you mean:

Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    then these riders are flawed...ANYONE can be fast alone.
    there is no one i CANT slow down?

sock puppet

exactly...

racegurl: i dont know how you got the message that anyone was *****ing about anything, particularly that some were AGAINST solo category...

not really... i personally couldnt care less - it is just my opinion that the TEAM aspect adds another dimension to the race.. no doubt about it... it is ups and downs that each member of the team is going through, at different times of course - that bring people together - under pressure etc, etc, etc...

those that prefer team concept will understand what i am talking about, those that dont, wont no matter what...

so to each his/her own... you want team - you get team, you want solo - you get solo...

chico would be crazy not to take your money for whatever format you want... you want blond female category? sure... chico - chaching, please and thank you...

i for myself want clydesdale, bald over 40 category... no wait, i dont WANT it, i DEMAND it...

I have kept my eye on this forum for feedback.

We are going to offer an individual and team aspect to this event. Some want to have the team aspect, others just want to race it on their own. There is no right or wrong on how you want to participate, and we would like to sell out the 350 participant spots (limited for the first year).

We are completing some of the other details that will let us move forward on this event so stay tuned.

We are going to house all of the 350 participants in cabins at summer camps (no tents, but bring ear plugs in case of snoring). To be frank I am not big on tents, so it isn't something I'd like to subject my customers to. If this event grows in the future we are most likely going to put some of you in tents for at least one of the nights..... I'm staying in a cabin for sure!

sock puppet

you will still have

to shower with us... so better get that shaver out and tidy up...

please?

Yes!!!! Oh yes, yes, yes, yes! Doing my happy dance right now! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

And not having to sleep in tents is the best thing of all!

More than a little slow
    Cabins are good. Maybe you could put earplugs in a swag bag with the hammer gels ( hit up an industrial supply place as a sponser eh? how many places can you demo earplugs to a crowd? ).
    I'm still shopping for a partner even if there are solo spots, just so ya'll know.

sock puppet

skunky...

I would say La Ruta is strictly won by the strength of an individual - especially if you are not Costa Rican!! Apparently the locals really help out their countryman. Read any of the blogs from the top US guys trying to win it. It is a huge individual up hill battle (pun intended). This race is a very tough 4 days.
    you just contradicted yourself... won by the strength of an individual (with some help from the locals) - that is not individual, sir...

by the way, the help is quite significant... imagine not having to lug a full of water camel back, yet you woud have water every time you need it - supplied by the locals, or, being able to switch back and forth from knobbies to slicks depending on the section requirements (spare wheels provided by locals) etc, etc... dont want to go on...

so do you still think it is won by the strength of an individual???

by the way, i still love you, no matter what...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I could have sworn this thread had turned into a b**chfest. My mistake, I suppose people were just passionately stating their opinions then.
    Whatever.

As for the showering situation, hmmmm, awkward.
    High on Life

sock puppet

As for the showering situation, hmmmm, awkward.
    dont worry about that, you'll grow to appreciate it...

sock puppet

and then, just before the crest of a long mild climb..

I'll be one of the solos drafting off the teams going a tad faster than me. :-))
    i would release the king of all farts and that would be the end of drafting for you...

see, team concept is better...

mtbr member
    you just contradicted yourself... won by the strength of an individual (with some help from the locals) - that is not individual, sir...

by the way, the help is quite significant... imagine not having to lug a full of water camel back, yet you woud have water every time you need it - supplied by the locals, or, being able to switch back and forth from knobbies to slicks depending on the section requirements (spare wheels provided by locals) etc, etc... dont want to go on...

so do you still think it is won by the strength of an individual???

by the way, i still love you, no matter what...
    what a second, I'm not contradicting myself. I didn't realize you considered CHEATING as team work during La Ruta. The cheating that goes on in that is too bad, but this is truly and individual race if done legally.

mtbr member
    i would release the king of all farts and that would be the end of drafting for you...

see, team concept is better...
    That's funny. This actually happened to me during the TR - but the king of all farts was blown by one of the pro woman. The most disturbing part of that experience was that she was really cute. Somehow there was something very wrong with that...

Misfit Psycles
    That's funny. This actually happened to me during the TR - but the king of all farts was blown by one of the pro woman. The most disturbing part of that experience was that she was really cute. Somehow there was something very wrong with that...
    which part is wrong?

that she had gas or that you stuck around long enough to evaluate it and her?

btw chico. i plan to compete in both the solo and pair category in the same season. will there be a discount for multiple registrations?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0