mtbr member

Chain Reaction purchase

Anyone order parts from Chain Reaction Cycles? I was wondering about taxes and any applicable brokerage or handling fees.
    2010 Intense Spider 2
    2010 Ibis Tranny SS
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2013 Trek Domane 5.2
    2014 Hakkalugi

No. Just No. Moderator
    I plugged the terms "chain reaction eastern canada" into the Google custom search function near the top of this forum and here's the results from previous topics discussed in the past;

Search Results

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    I plugged the terms "chain reaction eastern canada" into the Google custom search function near the top of this forum and here's the results from previous topics discussed in the past;

Search Results
    Thanks.
    2010 Intense Spider 2
    2010 Ibis Tranny SS
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2013 Trek Domane 5.2
    2014 Hakkalugi

sheep in FOX clothing
    Wait another week and order during the pre-Christmas rush, more stuff gets waived though taxes and duty.

mtbr member
    Wiggle is supposed to be hit or miss as far as duty goes too. I haven't ordered from them or CRC. I look for deals and then get Jenson to price match. Jenson tells you the exact price you'll pay.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Or you could shop at your LBS.
    I had a guy come into the shop 2 weeks ago, he wanted a new xt groupo. I gave him the quote, which included free install and free adjustments for a year. He said no way thats way to much. What did he do, buys the stuff online and brings it in for us to install. I am getting ready to instal it all, turns out the company he ordered from sent him a crank with only one arm(drive side) one brake with the ice tech fins and one with out on the pads. 2 front shifters and the wrong front derailleur. Now he has to wait to figure out who screwed up him or the site. Plus pay us to instal it all and keep it adjusted for the next year. When it was all said and done, he only saved a total of 35 bucks by buying online. Sure he saved a few bucks but look at all the headachs he is dealing with.

SHOP WITH YOUR LBS you never know when you will need a favor.
    Mac

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Wait another week and order during the pre-Christmas rush, more stuff gets waived though taxes and duty.
    ^^This^^

mtbr member
    Local bike stores make mistakes too. Mine ordered Kool Stop brake pads for my cross bike. It took forever for them to come in and when they did, guess what? They were the wrong ones.
    Same thing happened with my derailleur hanger. It took forever for it to come in. I found the same part online for half the money and they would have delivered within two days. I just bought a light for 200 dollars less then any of my local stores would sell it. I know a guy that works at a local store and it was still cheaper for him to buy RED online than use his employee discount.
    Mistakes happen whether it's local or online.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've ordered a lot of stuff from the UK. I've found that it's about 50-50 getting charged taxes and the $8 Canada Post processing fee. I've even had high dollar stuff come in free.
    No brokerage fees.
    One time I was incorrectly dinged for duty - parts are duty free, complete bikes are 13%.

mtbr member
    I have ordered in multiple orders from both CRC and Bike-discount in Germany. Hit and miss for sure. I was on a roll for a while getting stuff in with no charges but last order I got hit from Bike Discount with taxes and 9.00 canada post fee. I think it was because it was over 200. I think the lower the value the less chance you get of being hit. All my orders from crc that were jsut over 100 to get free shipping were never taxed.