Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Some guy
    Jul 2007

Chain Reaction Cycles shipping to Canada

A week or two ago I was looking for information about chainreactioncycles.com shipping to Canada and didn't find anything here. I went ahead and made a purchase anyways and thought I'd report back my experience for the next person.

I ordered a 2012 Bell Sweep helmet. I know bike parts typically don't have customs charges but I wasn't sure where a helmet falls in here. My helmet cost just over $100 at CRC with free shipping. On top of the purchase price Canada Customs charged me the HST and an additional $8.50 in 'Handling Fees', and that's it. I was prepared for worse so I was quite pleased. The helmet arrived about 8 days after the order was made but the Easter weekend was in there so that may have caused a day or two delay over the usual.

And before anybody gives me grief about buying online, I was perfectly prepared to buy locally but couldn't find the size/colour combination I wanted nearby. If I was going to have to wait a week for it to be ordered in at the shop I may as well save myself $60 and the return trip and order it myself.

So anyways, overall thumbs up to CRC and I will be ordering again.

GAME ON!
    it's kind of hit or miss as far as the charges go. i had a string where i was charged nothing but recently i've had significant charges on my last 3 or 4 orders. they have excellent customer service, though.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    yep chain reaction is the best by far. As mentioned charges are hit or miss with customs. I've got an order coming in this week so we'll see if I get dinged. The $8.50 fee used to be $5 but still reasonable.

Don't feel bad about your LBS as I always offer first crack to mine. If they are within reasonable pricing they get the sale, but they understand that if they can't compete and their hands are tied, then I will go online. Besides they get all my business when it comes to bikes and service and accessories.

humber river advocate
    don't worry about buying online, competition is a good thing...

Quote Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy View Post
    A week or two ago I was looking for information about chainreactioncycles.com shipping to Canada and didn't find anything here. I went ahead and made a purchase anyways and thought I'd report back my experience for the next person.

I ordered a 2012 Bell Sweep helmet. I know bike parts typically don't have customs charges but I wasn't sure where a helmet falls in here. My helmet cost just over $100 at CRC with free shipping. On top of the purchase price Canada Customs charged me the HST and an additional $8.50 in 'Handling Fees', and that's it. I was prepared for worse so I was quite pleased. The helmet arrived about 8 days after the order was made but the Easter weekend was in there so that may have caused a day or two delay over the usual.

And before anybody gives me grief about buying online, I was perfectly prepared to buy locally but couldn't find the size/colour combination I wanted nearby. If I was going to have to wait a week for it to be ordered in at the shop I may as well save myself $60 and the return trip and order it myself.

So anyways, overall thumbs up to CRC and I will be ordering again.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Do they still have issues with credit card integrity?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Do they still have issues with credit card integrity?
    I don't think so, but I assume they do, and just use PayPal.

Regarding shipping, I made two orders over the winter.

First some Shimano shoes. Paid tax + handling fee.

Second, an XT derailleur. They left the package, and did not collect any fees.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I also wont use anything but Paypal at CRC. Already got compromised once. I've done a fair bit of ordering online from Europe in the last few months.

As mentioned, taxes are usually hit and miss (and depends more on the customs here more than the store itself I'm sure)

Here is my recent track record:

Shinybikes (UK) Handling fee (8.50) + HST
    Probikekit (UK) no charge
    ChainReaction (UK) Handling fee (8.50) + HST
    Ribble (UK) no charge (updated)
    XXCycle (FRA) - no charge, second package on the way (interestingly enough, packages from France have been clearing customs in Quebec instead of Ontario)
    Last edited by nspace; 04-12-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Dorkimus Prime
    I just paced an order with them and paid Visa. Its an experiment. Five years ago, my CC was compromised. Again, 2 years ago. Three strikes and their out....

I typically use Paypal with them, but was too lazy this time...
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

GAME ON!
    i used my CC 2 times with them because i had to and it turned out alright
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Dorkimus Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    i used my CC 2 times with them because i had to and it turned out alright
    I'm 0 for 2 with them, but hopefully the third time is the charm!
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Just got an order in myself and there were no additional charges. A new helmet liner, some gloves, tools and a few small accessories. Used my CC with them this time and before with no issues, so far!

Jenson is also a place I like to use, pay one price and never have any charges but they're pricing isn't always as competitive.

Movin' to Montana soon
    Jul 2011
    I ordered a set of Hope Hoops from them,they shipped on a Monday and were here by Friday the same week.

I got lucky and didn't have to pay any duty,I was only charged HST and $8.50 handling fee.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
    I got lucky and didn't have to pay any duty,I was only charged HST and $8.50 handling fee.
    No luck involved - there's no duty on bike parts! (other than fully assembled wheels)

Luck would be if Canada Post decided to leave it or hand it off to you without charging the HST + $8.50 flat handling charge,

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    No luck involved - there's no duty on bike parts! (other than fully assembled wheels)
    That doesn't stop them from charging duty from time to time though.

Yes, I mean duty, not taxes.

mtbr member
    I got charged duty on my last CRC order.

$8.50 handling fee
    HST
    6 ~ 8 % duty.

My $90 order had $30 worth of taxes and fees on it. I wasn't too impressed.

Then again, it's always hit & miss whether you get hit with taxes with online orders. I try to keep them small so some come through without any fees.

conjoinicorned
    My $2400 order got duty and handling, total was still just under $70....not so bad!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

sheep in FOX clothing
    I got charged duty (in addition to HST) one time on something misidentified as something else.... I think they said a blinky was "maritime signalling equipment" or something.

It was a difference of 8 bucks or something, so I wasn't too motivated, but I filled out the appeal form and sent it in just to see what would happen. They ignored it, and I did not follow up.

On a related story, this week UPS tried to charge me $45 brokerage on a $15 HRM band that was being replaced under warranty for free. I told the UPS guy I didn't want it that bad. Man was that guy pissed... they must be getting shot down a lot these days on their fraud scheme.

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    On a related story, this week UPS tried to charge me $45 brokerage on a $15 HRM band that was being replaced under warranty for free. I told the UPS guy I didn't want it that bad. Man was that guy pissed... they must be getting shot down a lot these days on their fraud scheme.
    UPS is a non-starter for me. If a company only ships UPS then we don't do business. I would imagine that would apply to many people here.

mtbr member
    The brokerage fees are retarded. However I haven't wrote off the entire service. As long as you avoid UPS ground and go for the faster worldwide express services, you avoid brokerage fees all together. Usually the cost difference is fairly minimal in a lot of cases. I refuse to order UPS ground. When do you get the right service, their delivery dates and services are far more reliable than Canada Post.

Movin' to Montana soon
    Jul 2011

Luck would be if Canada Post decided to leave it or hand it off to you without charging the HST + $8.50 flat handling charge,

Hope Hoops = fully assembled wheel set.

I also think I got lucky because they were in separate boxes but labeled as one shipment so I only got charged tax for one wheel,each wheel had it's own claimed value and I suppose they got the front wheel first which was cheaper.

I guess they couldn't charge me twice on the same shipment?Not really sure about that.
    Last edited by Alhazred; 04-13-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Evil Jr.
    UPS is a non-starter for me. If a company only ships UPS then we don't do business. I would imagine that would apply to many people here.
    Hate UPS so much.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    The brokerage fees are retarded. However I haven't wrote off the entire service. As long as you avoid UPS ground and go for the faster worldwide express services, you avoid brokerage fees all together. Usually the cost difference is fairly minimal in a lot of cases. I refuse to order UPS ground. When do you get the right service, their delivery dates and services are far more reliable than Canada Post.
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Hate UPS so much.
    When I use UPS, typically I get it sent to a place in the US near the border. Recently, I've been using the Ferry. $5/package, and I don't even need to cross the border.

I just pay my taxes at the customs office, and all is well

mtbr member
    This happens more often than you think for smaller orders < $100

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    That's a fair point. Jenson offers the UPS Worldwide and that's okay. Most place just offer UPS Ground though, which is of course a recipe for disaster.

bi-winning
    I refuse to order UPS ground.
    Same here. Fortunately I learned of the evil before I ever got burned.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast