Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chain Reaction Cycles shipping to Canada

164K views 576 replies 150 participants last post by  smashysmashy 
#1 ·
A week or two ago I was looking for information about chainreactioncycles.com shipping to Canada and didn't find anything here. I went ahead and made a purchase anyways and thought I'd report back my experience for the next person.

I ordered a 2012 Bell Sweep helmet. I know bike parts typically don't have customs charges but I wasn't sure where a helmet falls in here. My helmet cost just over $100 at CRC with free shipping. On top of the purchase price Canada Customs charged me the HST and an additional $8.50 in 'Handling Fees', and that's it. I was prepared for worse so I was quite pleased. The helmet arrived about 8 days after the order was made but the Easter weekend was in there so that may have caused a day or two delay over the usual.

And before anybody gives me grief about buying online, I was perfectly prepared to buy locally but couldn't find the size/colour combination I wanted nearby. If I was going to have to wait a week for it to be ordered in at the shop I may as well save myself $60 and the return trip and order it myself.

So anyways, overall thumbs up to CRC and I will be ordering again.

#68 ·
Never, never NEVER ship UPS Ground. I've learned that mistake before. Just Google "UPS brokerage fee scam".

The free shipping from CRC is good enough IMHO. For a big, expensive item like what you are ordering, CRC will likely opt to ship it with tracking anyway. If they don't ship it with tracking and it gets lost, you can apply to CRC for a refund.

Slash is right. The most you will get charged is tax and an $8-something fee. You shouldn't have to pay additional duty on bicycle parts, but if Canada Border Services charges it, it's usually in the neighbourhood of 6-8%, and you can appeal it and get a refund if they assessed wrong, as I've done before.

#78 ·
Never, never NEVER ship UPS Ground. I've learned that mistake before. Just Google "UPS brokerage fee scam"
A friend has had a lot shipped through them and always refuses to accept delivery. They usually offer to waive their fee since it is worse for them to send it back. Have not tried it myself yet.

#70 ·
Slash 5 & all - thanks for all the info. I'm actually in Manitoba (shhhhh, don't tell anyone I'm on the wrong board), or I'd consider pick up. Also found one in the UK at another store for $150, but they don't ship heavy stuff out of the UK, and CRC doesn't price match anymore. Cheapest on eBay.ca from canadian seller was $219 +gst+shipping. LBS was $240+taxes. Think that no matter what, CRC will still be cheapest, although wish i had bought when code was a bit better (not that I'm going to complain about $16.50 off- it's what makes it a deal). Thanks all.

#74 ·
FWIW... I', based out of Ontario and I've ordered quite a bit from CRC over the last couple years. As for customs charges - any of the shipped purchases less than $100 didn't have the added HST + $10 service fee by Customs. If the total purchase was over $100, then I would get charged taxes and the service fee.

However there were some rare occasions that the purchase was more than $100 and I didn't get dinged. Around Christmas last year.

#87 ·
This happened to me once before, after 2 shipments with no duty charges. It seems to be more common if it is a mixed package of duty exempt and non exempt items.

I just filled in the form that came with the customs bill, indicating that the items were bike parts and therefore duty free, and got a refund in the mail a few weeks later. :thumbsup:

Certainly not enough of a hassle to put me off - shiny new XT brakes and shifters are en route from CRC right now!

#89 ·
DHL's brokerage charge is $10, the same as canada post's.

The problem is that as a private company they have to take the high road and charge taxes + duty on everything, whereas CanadaPost goes directly through the CBSA who sometimes wave stuff through if they are busy.

So you are gonna be paying an extra 18% +HST on any clothes from wiggle in a surprise invoice after-the-fact from DHL, whereas with CRC/CanadaPost you might pay the same, but maybe nothing at all.

Wiggle used to ship with Royal Mail/Canada post, so this change, while it speeds up shipping, adds some pretty big hidden $$$ on that discount jersey and shorts. Which are STILL probably cheaper that MSRP around here....

#91 ·
Shipped $200 of parts with free shipping option. Arrived through Canada Post with no taxes or fees. The box was half open but nothing had fallen out. It looked like whoever packaged it used some half ass box without proper lid flaps and only taped one half, leaving the other half of the lid with no tape at all.

When I bought a wheelset from them I owed Canada post 15% of the cost of the wheelset.

#93 ·
Smaller items seems to be shipped through Royal Mail International which doesn't seem to pass customs. Always straight to my door. Larger items seems to go through Parcel Force International which always passes through customs.

I ordered a set of brakes which was sent via Royal mail and received an empty box. Glad CRC came through sending out a replacement.

#98 ·
Smaller items seems to be shipped through Royal Mail International which doesn't seem to pass customs. Always straight to my door. Larger items seems to go through Parcel Force International which always passes through customs.
Well this has been shot down! CRC sent my package via Royal Mail International and was charged taxes + $9.95 Canada Post handling fee. The last two orders that was sent this way came straight to my door, no fees. Win some loose some. Just happy it wasn't an empty box like the last shipment via RMI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.