Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chain Reaction Cycles shipping to Canada

164K views 576 replies 150 participants last post by  smashysmashy 
#1 ·
A week or two ago I was looking for information about chainreactioncycles.com shipping to Canada and didn't find anything here. I went ahead and made a purchase anyways and thought I'd report back my experience for the next person.

I ordered a 2012 Bell Sweep helmet. I know bike parts typically don't have customs charges but I wasn't sure where a helmet falls in here. My helmet cost just over $100 at CRC with free shipping. On top of the purchase price Canada Customs charged me the HST and an additional $8.50 in 'Handling Fees', and that's it. I was prepared for worse so I was quite pleased. The helmet arrived about 8 days after the order was made but the Easter weekend was in there so that may have caused a day or two delay over the usual.

And before anybody gives me grief about buying online, I was perfectly prepared to buy locally but couldn't find the size/colour combination I wanted nearby. If I was going to have to wait a week for it to be ordered in at the shop I may as well save myself $60 and the return trip and order it myself.

So anyways, overall thumbs up to CRC and I will be ordering again.

#46 ·
Just received a package from Chain Reaction with no problems (charged $26 in duty on a $400 order, but sent in the form to contest it). Even with the duty, getting anywhere near this price locally for what I ordered (Ultegra hollowtech cranks + BB, a new chain and ultegra cassette, Conti gatorskins and a few other bits and pieces) would be impossible.

The Hope/Mavic wheels I had them build up for my Motolite 2 years ago are still going strong as well. Very happy customer so far!

#47 ·
Order arrived within 1 week. No additional charge for a tire. Only 9.99$ for the shipping.

Did order another tire today. Quite satisfied and saved money.

JensonUSA kinda lost it with their prices recently unfortunately. Especially on tires!

#49 ·
Everything arrived quickly, and no duty! Unfortunately, the plastic spacer that goes between the loose cogs and the spider was broken in transit, so we'll see what their customer service dept. has me do. It's going to cost like $25 to ship them back a $25 part, which seems silly to me.

#55 ·
Got an email from CRC customer support first thing this morning (their time, 2am here). They're sending me a new cassette, and I can keep the broken one. Excellent customer service! Once I wear through one cassette I'll be able to steal a spacer from it to "fix" the other, so all turned out well.

For the record, any dealings I've had with their customer service in the past have been equally excellent.

#58 ·
Not really CRC specific, but somewhat related. I'm doing my first full build of a new ride and have ordered a bunch of parts from CRC, Jenson and Wiggle. The Wiggle parts arrived at work today, however I was at home taking care of my sick daughter. No worries though as I arranged with a coworker to cover the costs associated with the delivery.

The delivery was in two boxes, one for the wheels and one for the rest. Canada Post assumed that each box was a separate delivery (with the exact same declared value) and doubled the value to calculate the tax. My coworker, obviously not knowing any better, paid for the double tax and now I have to chase down Canada Post for the $140 over tax I paid.

I understand there are risks associated with purchasing online, but I did not expect this.

#61 ·
anyone ever bought a park tool stand from CRC?? I'm looking at the PCS-10 at $175 after code, $100 cheaper then LBS, but not sure what to expect for customs charges. It would be free shipping, or is it worth upgrading to tracked shipping for $20? Figure free shipping will be Canada Post, is tracked as well? Thanks for any info :)

#63 ·
If you choose free shipping, CRC will sometimes ship the item with tracking anyway if it's big or expensive or both.

Even if you get hit with tax, it's still way cheaper than the LBS.

#64 ·
well, DHL is 80$, so not going that route. I plan to pay PayPal, so if it gets lost, it gets lost.

will have to pay the 7% PST, plus "handling" charges, is just the potential custom charges that i wonder about. but think it will be worth it. i made the mistake when I bought my tool kit (Park Tool AK32) from the states, got shipped UPS ground and paid a huge brokerage/customs fee.

#68 ·
Never, never NEVER ship UPS Ground. I've learned that mistake before. Just Google "UPS brokerage fee scam".

The free shipping from CRC is good enough IMHO. For a big, expensive item like what you are ordering, CRC will likely opt to ship it with tracking anyway. If they don't ship it with tracking and it gets lost, you can apply to CRC for a refund.

Slash is right. The most you will get charged is tax and an $8-something fee. You shouldn't have to pay additional duty on bicycle parts, but if Canada Border Services charges it, it's usually in the neighbourhood of 6-8%, and you can appeal it and get a refund if they assessed wrong, as I've done before.

#78 ·
Never, never NEVER ship UPS Ground. I've learned that mistake before. Just Google "UPS brokerage fee scam"
A friend has had a lot shipped through them and always refuses to accept delivery. They usually offer to waive their fee since it is worse for them to send it back. Have not tried it myself yet.

#70 ·
Slash 5 & all - thanks for all the info. I'm actually in Manitoba (shhhhh, don't tell anyone I'm on the wrong board), or I'd consider pick up. Also found one in the UK at another store for $150, but they don't ship heavy stuff out of the UK, and CRC doesn't price match anymore. Cheapest on eBay.ca from canadian seller was $219 +gst+shipping. LBS was $240+taxes. Think that no matter what, CRC will still be cheapest, although wish i had bought when code was a bit better (not that I'm going to complain about $16.50 off- it's what makes it a deal). Thanks all.

#74 ·
FWIW... I', based out of Ontario and I've ordered quite a bit from CRC over the last couple years. As for customs charges - any of the shipped purchases less than $100 didn't have the added HST + $10 service fee by Customs. If the total purchase was over $100, then I would get charged taxes and the service fee.

However there were some rare occasions that the purchase was more than $100 and I didn't get dinged. Around Christmas last year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.