Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Damn that worked great.
    Ordered on the 13th, shipped on the 14th, on my door step yesterday on the 16th.
    That's better than Amazon.ca.
    $18 with $15.60 of it being taxes.

mtbr member
    I ordered $140 cad, paid $20 using their pre-paid duty option on Jan 8. It arrived Jan 11 via dhl. I received an email it was on it's way and that a signature would be required. But clicking on the tracking the last entry was "delivered" and no signature was required.

The $20 duty is 15%, so for me that's hst + 2%, which is cheaper than the $10 handling fee customs would charge. Plus they probably would've screwed up the currency and over charge me so id have to mail in a dispute. I will mostly likely just use the duty pre-paid option in the future.

I compared my order with TBS. They didn't have what I wanted on the web but I emailed them and they found most of what I wanted. It was pricier though. I'd consider TBS in the future but it's a bit of a pain to keep emailing them to see what they/their suppliers have in stock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ordered about $120 (Cad) worth of stuff from them on Sunday. Shipping with DHL ran $18. Apparenlty that included Tax/Duty coverage. They attempted delivery of it today, but I wasn't home;*signature required, will try again tomorrow.

Not bad. 4 day turn around (had I been home) and based on the slip they left no extra fees?

In comparison last year I ordered a few things from Jenson and delivery was 3 weeks. Got the free-shipping, but paid taxes. Also, everything I ordered from Chainreaction, beat Jenson in price this time around.

mtbr member
    The new dhl option including duty/taxes/brokerage is the tits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inverted180 View Post
    The new dhl option including duty/taxes/brokerage is the tits.
    I'd agree with this 100%.
    Very fair price, VERY fast and you can authorize online for DHL to leave it at your doorstep so you don't need to be home to sign.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    What's up with CRC and their full bike prices, they're insane for Canada.

Vitus Sentier VRS $997us shipping to US is $100 with duty/tax included
    Vitus Sentier VRS $1600cad shipping to Canada $130 but you pay tax/duty, or $570 with tax/duty pre-paid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pol4k View Post
    What's up with CRC and their full bike prices, they're insane for Canada.

Vitus Sentier VRS $997us shipping to US is $100 with duty/tax included
    Vitus Sentier VRS $1600cad shipping to Canada $130 but you pay tax/duty, or $570 with tax/duty pre-paid.
    The prices for Canada are not just the difference due to exchange rate either. I emailed them about price gouging for Canadians. Depending on product. They basically said they do it because they can. They have different prices for different markets based on what local pricing is in each market. And also demand. I havent bought anything there since. Have been happy to buy local or Jenson.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I haven't found a good deal on CRC since Wiggle bought them. Used to buy a lot of stuff.
    The base pricing is very odd - CRC is screwing Canadians or at least going after US sales.
    For Canada, it shows save 6% - for US it shows save 15%. The US price converted to Cdn $ is $1,305.

The shipping maybe makes sense - US gets $800 duty free, not sure what happens when it's over.
    For Canada, there would be between 13% and 18% duty plus GST and PST plus the courier's charges.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by stew325 View Post
    The prices for Canada are not just the difference due to exchange rate either. I emailed them about price gouging for Canadians. Depending on product. They basically said they do it because they can. They have different prices for different markets based on what local pricing is in each market. And also demand. I havent bought anything there since. Have been happy to buy local or Jenson.
    Got the same response, pretty much they set pricing based on what they feel they can sell it at.
    To make it even funnier here is what they replied to me with.

"If you have the possibility of ordering to a friend in a nearby American state and collecting then by all means do so to take advantage of the difference in price between the two countries"

Would never buy a bike from them based on their selling strategy.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Here is my recent query.

[FONT=Arial]At least on some items. I noticed lately that prices between the US and Canada were out of whack lately so I queried this.

My original question.

Why are you charging Canadians more than Americans for the same product? For example the Rental Apex 35 stem is $102.99 US and $199.99 CDN.

Their reply

Thanks for your email.

I am sorry for any confusion caused by the prices on our website.

Prices may vary depending on the country we are shipping to. When setting the price of an item we take into consideration a variety of factors. Due to the extensive list of these factors, this can sometimes lead to certain categories or indeed individual products having different prices in different markets at the same time.

The main reason for the differences in price are the variances in taxes and charges from country to country. VAT is applied at the destination country's rate. So orders being delivered to the UK will have UK VAT rate applied, orders going to Spain will have Spanish VAT rate applied.

We strive to provide the best possible price to the customer, in every market we deal in.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

We would really appreciate your feedback by clicking on one of the options below. Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Very Easy
    Fairly Easy
    Neither Easy/Difficult
    Fairly Difficult
    Very Difficult

Thanks,

My reply

Then why is the Hope AM-FR 35mm Stem 107.99 USD and 139.99 CDN? This is the normal exchange rate. Both stems are UK made. Taxes and duties are collected here in Canada. VAT does not apply.

Their reply

Thanks for your email.

Prices may vary depending on the country we are shipping to. When setting the price of an item we take into consideration a variety of factors. Due to the extensive list of these factors, this can sometimes lead to certain categories or indeed individual products having different prices in different markets at the same time.

I do apologise.

We would really appreciate your feedback by clicking on one of the options below. Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Very Easy
    Fairly Easy
    Neither Easy/Difficult
    Fairly Difficult
    Very Difficult

Thanks,

I appreciate their timely reply but I not really satisfied with the answer. It could be that some companies don't want to undercut the Canadian distributors who add a hefty level of cost for us.

Anyway, I can get a Renthal Stem cheaper from France. I'm not in the market for one right now but there are lots of options.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Going to try the new DHL option from CRC. I need new chain/cassette/chainrings so will use this opportunity to go 1x10. At least $100 cheaper (probably more) to order from CRC than even MEC. Haven't even bothered to check the LBS. I'm willing to pay upwards of 2X for local service vs. online, but not 3-4X.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure this is the longest surviving thread I have ever started on a discussion forum! .

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Try Ribble. I don't think I've bought from CRC since Wiggle bought them. Now that CRC's location based pricing has come up and they shaft Canadians, it would have to be a heck of a deal before I'd buy from them.

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Try Ribble. I don't think I've bought from CRC since Wiggle bought them. Now that CRC's location based pricing has come up and they shaft Canadians, it would have to be a heck of a deal before I'd buy from them.
    The few items I checked were still cheaper on CRC. They also seemed to lack some of MTB parts I was looking for (normal stuff like a 10sp XT 11-36T cassette).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I used them again a few weeks back. Shimano stuff always seems a pretty good price there.

I got an XT shifter and zee rear derailleur about $50 cheaper than any other online retailer once shipping was factored in.

The shifter and derailleur were not boxed though. Came in bubble wrap ie. No Shimano packaging. That's my only gripe.

I still recommend using DHL. I paid no additional fees.

nimble biker
    CC ships by DHL express. I received in 3 days. this was no charge on delivery. total cost including HST+brokerage = $88.00 for Shimano XM9 MTB shoes

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    On my order it was the opposite, different prices in the US vs Canada but the prices were much better in Canada.

New DHL option was super fast 2 days.

mtbr member
    I ordered last week from Ribble for the first time, road parts only.

They shipped via Royal Mail, stuff arrived after 3 days with no additional fees.
    Last edited by Swerny; 08-18-2017 at 12:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    In the past I found CRC to be really competitive and didn't find that I was paying taxes and duty on cycling goods coming here to Canada, and they were a great deal. In the last two years though I've had to pay duty and taxes and deals have not been so great, the common denominator being delivery through DHL who charge a large admin fee to collect the duty and taxes.

My most recent purchase and likely to be my last unless its a really great deal, which with the CAD being as low despite recent recovery is less likely, was for 36 DT Swiss spokes costing $51.98 and delivery of $9.99 (I hadn't appreciated this would be through DHL again) but duty, taxes and fees of $21.73 meaning the total cost is now more than my expensive LBS

Oh well lesson learned - and thanks for this thread. Going strong after 5 years is commendable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I am looking to order a complete groupset and two tires from CRC. Total is $606cad

I can either pay $24 shipping for Bulky Tracked Delivery
    or $148 for Duty Paid shipping for a total of $755

If I go for $24 shipping HST would be $78.78 for a total of $708. Handling fee ~10 so about $720.

I dont see a reason to pre-pay duty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Depends on how much you trust DHL. Last bike stuff I had shipped DHL they incorrectly cleared it with 18% duty plus taxes and a hefty brokerage charge. Charges were almost as much as the parts. I refused the shipment.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I never order anything that comes by courier, only packages that are delivered by Canada Post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    18%+15% damn thats a lot.

If you refuse shipping, it gets sent back and CRC refunds the order? Do the charge a restocking fee?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    I am looking to order a complete groupset and two tires from CRC. Total is $606cad

I can either pay $24 shipping for Bulky Tracked Delivery
    or $148 for Duty Paid shipping for a total of $755

If I go for $24 shipping HST would be $78.78 for a total of $708. Handling fee ~10 so about $720.

I dont see a reason to pre-pay duty.
    In your second scenario you didn't include duty you would have to pay so its not a direct price comparison. Customs also charges $10. The value of the package will be written in foreign currency and then Canada customs will incorrectly use that value to calculate duty which will be higher. You will have to send a dispute in to get your overcharge back. If you dont care about back and forth then maybe that's the route. But IME pre-paid duty was very convenient, although my order wasn't as large as yours.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There shouldn't be duty on bike parts. The biggest problem is that I think CRC will send DHL and not ParcelForce/Canada Post. I thought that it was determined that tracked was DHL, un-tracked is Canada Post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I just remembered courier packages can be self cleared. DHL can't charge anything, and the customs charges should be correct.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Customs have been consistently charging duty on bike parts recently especially from CRC. I disputed the charge and included a photocopy of the relevant section on the duty rules/regulation. They sent back the same section and highlighted a different subsection as their rationale for charging duty on bike parts.

Canada customs will almost always overcharge on duty b/c of how CRC writes the value of the package. See post 299 in this thread. Ive had it happen to me. I got the overcharge back when I disputed it but like I said earlier there is some back and forth with Customs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Do you have that sub section handy? I was over charged lately and haven't got around to disputing it.

mtbr member
    No. TBH what they sent back wasn't very clear. But it was clear they felt justified in charging duty on bike parts and it wasn't worth my time to discuss it further with them. They did recognize their error (as noted in post 299 of this thread) in over charging me duty and I got the difference refunded.

mtbr member
    I just placed a second order for parts only from Ribble, but I had to pay a small amount for shipping. Arrived quickly, had to pay the $10 handling fee and taxes.

I also ordered from Bike Nashbar ($25 shipping), arrived today, had to pay the $9.95 fee + HST. Mostly parts with 1 jersey thrown in.

I ordered last week from Jenson (Ascendia free shipping). Jenson says ETA is Aug 30. It showed up as scheduled, no fees, no duty despite there being clothing included. Huge box shipped all the way from California for free....no complaints

From the UK orders, I've had problems with customs charging duty on the whole amount, rather than just the clothing portion. Having to request a refund is a PITA.
    Last edited by Swerny; 08-31-2017 at 08:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Chain reaction cycles doesn't seem to do custom wheel builds anymore. womp womp.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshM View Post
    Chain reaction cycles doesn't seem to do custom wheel builds anymore. womp womp.
    I emailed them about that a few weeks ago. This was the response:

"Thanks for your email.

I am sorry, we have temporarily removed our wheel build service while we relocate to a new warehouse. We hope to re-introduce the service towards the end of the year. Please keep an eye on our website for any updates on this service resuming. I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abcyclist View Post
    I emailed them about that a few weeks ago. This was the response:

"Thanks for your email.

I am sorry, we have temporarily removed our wheel build service while we relocate to a new warehouse. We hope to re-introduce the service towards the end of the year. Please keep an eye on our website for any updates on this service resuming. I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."

Ah, that's good they won't be gone forever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Got a 1x11 complete groupset. No taxes. I think it's a good idea to split big orders in multiple packages. This one was just under $500. I shipped other items separately.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Heads up on what appears to be a current problem with CRC shipping to Canada.

I've been using the DHL taxes prepaid option for the last dozen or so shipments and it was working very well... typically I was getting my shipments in 2-3 business days.

Well something has changed and the last two orders have been broken up into multiple parts... something I'd never seen CRC do before. What's worse is it seems they messed up and sent them via various carriers without declaring them as taxes prepaid. Part 1 was via DHL, part 2 via Spanish Postal, part 3 via DHL again. The first two arrived with taxes and handling fees due and the last one (only valued at $10) came straight through. I contacted CRC and they offered to refund the fees I'd paid, although it took 2 weeks to get them to issue the refund and only after I bugged them about why it was taking so long. Also the one part via Spanish Postal also took almost 2 weeks to arrive instead of the usual 2-3 days.

I foolishly assumed this was an isolated incident and place another order this week... well so far it has been broken up into 2 DHL shipments, with one more item outstanding. From comments in forums it seems this is a result of a merger between Wiggle and CRC which has caused to all kinds of inventory and warehouse issues.

So it is not looking to be a good idea to order from CRC at the moment unless you don't mind waiting and possibly paying excess taxes and brokerage/handling fees.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ordered about eight items this week from them. total was just under $200. I selected the shipping plus taxes/duty prepaid which usually comes DHL within 4-5 business days .

They broke up my order this time. some is on the way, the rest not yet shipped. They sent it through something called parcelforce (I think that's the name).

Tracking number given hasn't updated on it yet, it's been a couple days.

I feel like I might get hit with taxes and duty even though I selected the duty paid option.

Usually pretty happy with crc shipping this time I feel less confident.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Parcel force is what they use to go through Canada Post.

Just an update on my last order that I selected the taxes prepaid shipping option for. It did end up getting split into 3 shipments. Two went via DHL and one via Correos (Spanish Post). All three came through without any taxes or handling fees being due. The two DHL shipments had "Wiggle" printed on the packing slips, so this confirms that it is Wiggle that is processing (and screwing up) these order now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So over the past few weeks I've ordered about $800.00 worth for my bike build.

As I'm taking my time, I don't need all the parts here in one big order so I split up my order and purchased items as I determined what I need.

Most orders were on average about 120-150.00 and I always used the free super slow shipping method on CRC.

Only one time, for an item of 109.xx value, did I get hit with fees costing me $21.xx dollars.

Splitting up the orders into smaller batches has worked awesome for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Also doing a bike build mrrhunter; ordering parts all over the place right now when I see good deals.

My final CRC package arrived last night; worry over. First one came through Canada Post second came DHL (box was beaten to hell). No extra fees.

An order from Jensen which was placed the same day as the CRC stuff has yet to arrive. No update on the tracking for that since Monday UPS I-parcel.

I have another order coming from Germany (bike24). Took them 7 days to process the order, now it's enroute it looks like it will be delivered by Canada post. I ordered wheels so I expect heavy duty and taxes; they charged me 20EU to ship.

I can post final (tax/duty) result on that one if anyone cares

Quote Originally Posted by castlefield View Post
    I can post final (tax/duty) result on that one if anyone cares
    I'd be interested to see how your bike24 shipment gets handled from a duty taxes point of view as I'm considering buying some tires from them... they have crazy low prices for Schwalbe tires as well as models that are very difficult to buy anywhere else.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I got extremely lucky on the bike24 order. Just picked it up. No tax and no duty on $700 worth of stuff (2 wheels, 2 tires, and some tubeless stuff). It left from germany via DHL, then was transferred over to Canada post.

When I cross shopped what I bought CRC they wanted $200 for all-in shipping (with duty/tax). I ended up paying 20 Euro's from bike24 taking the risk of tax/duty on my end.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    IME, shipping DHL from Germany, the package is handed off to Canada Post. CP collects $10 brokerage fee and maybe tax. Here in BC bikes and parts are PST exempt

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I think it's just luck of the draw. I paid $150 tax and duty on a bike frame under similar shipping circumstance . DHL to Canada Post.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    How much was tax, how much was duty?

I bought a Bikeyoke Revive from Germany that was mistakenly labeled as an auto part by customs. I disputed it and was refunded the PST and duty.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345