Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Damn that worked great.
    Ordered on the 13th, shipped on the 14th, on my door step yesterday on the 16th.
    That's better than Amazon.ca.
    $18 with $15.60 of it being taxes.

mtbr member
    I ordered $140 cad, paid $20 using their pre-paid duty option on Jan 8. It arrived Jan 11 via dhl. I received an email it was on it's way and that a signature would be required. But clicking on the tracking the last entry was "delivered" and no signature was required.

The $20 duty is 15%, so for me that's hst + 2%, which is cheaper than the $10 handling fee customs would charge. Plus they probably would've screwed up the currency and over charge me so id have to mail in a dispute. I will mostly likely just use the duty pre-paid option in the future.

I compared my order with TBS. They didn't have what I wanted on the web but I emailed them and they found most of what I wanted. It was pricier though. I'd consider TBS in the future but it's a bit of a pain to keep emailing them to see what they/their suppliers have in stock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ordered about $120 (Cad) worth of stuff from them on Sunday. Shipping with DHL ran $18. Apparenlty that included Tax/Duty coverage. They attempted delivery of it today, but I wasn't home;*signature required, will try again tomorrow.

Not bad. 4 day turn around (had I been home) and based on the slip they left no extra fees?

In comparison last year I ordered a few things from Jenson and delivery was 3 weeks. Got the free-shipping, but paid taxes. Also, everything I ordered from Chainreaction, beat Jenson in price this time around.

mtbr member
    The new dhl option including duty/taxes/brokerage is the tits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inverted180 View Post
    The new dhl option including duty/taxes/brokerage is the tits.
    I'd agree with this 100%.
    Very fair price, VERY fast and you can authorize online for DHL to leave it at your doorstep so you don't need to be home to sign.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    What's up with CRC and their full bike prices, they're insane for Canada.

Vitus Sentier VRS $997us shipping to US is $100 with duty/tax included
    Vitus Sentier VRS $1600cad shipping to Canada $130 but you pay tax/duty, or $570 with tax/duty pre-paid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pol4k View Post
    What's up with CRC and their full bike prices, they're insane for Canada.

Vitus Sentier VRS $997us shipping to US is $100 with duty/tax included
    Vitus Sentier VRS $1600cad shipping to Canada $130 but you pay tax/duty, or $570 with tax/duty pre-paid.
    The prices for Canada are not just the difference due to exchange rate either. I emailed them about price gouging for Canadians. Depending on product. They basically said they do it because they can. They have different prices for different markets based on what local pricing is in each market. And also demand. I havent bought anything there since. Have been happy to buy local or Jenson.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I haven't found a good deal on CRC since Wiggle bought them. Used to buy a lot of stuff.
    The base pricing is very odd - CRC is screwing Canadians or at least going after US sales.
    For Canada, it shows save 6% - for US it shows save 15%. The US price converted to Cdn $ is $1,305.

The shipping maybe makes sense - US gets $800 duty free, not sure what happens when it's over.
    For Canada, there would be between 13% and 18% duty plus GST and PST plus the courier's charges.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by stew325 View Post
    The prices for Canada are not just the difference due to exchange rate either. I emailed them about price gouging for Canadians. Depending on product. They basically said they do it because they can. They have different prices for different markets based on what local pricing is in each market. And also demand. I havent bought anything there since. Have been happy to buy local or Jenson.
    Got the same response, pretty much they set pricing based on what they feel they can sell it at.
    To make it even funnier here is what they replied to me with.

"If you have the possibility of ordering to a friend in a nearby American state and collecting then by all means do so to take advantage of the difference in price between the two countries"

Would never buy a bike from them based on their selling strategy.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Here is my recent query.

[FONT=Arial]At least on some items. I noticed lately that prices between the US and Canada were out of whack lately so I queried this.

My original question.

Why are you charging Canadians more than Americans for the same product? For example the Rental Apex 35 stem is $102.99 US and $199.99 CDN.

Their reply

Thanks for your email.

I am sorry for any confusion caused by the prices on our website.

Prices may vary depending on the country we are shipping to. When setting the price of an item we take into consideration a variety of factors. Due to the extensive list of these factors, this can sometimes lead to certain categories or indeed individual products having different prices in different markets at the same time.

The main reason for the differences in price are the variances in taxes and charges from country to country. VAT is applied at the destination country's rate. So orders being delivered to the UK will have UK VAT rate applied, orders going to Spain will have Spanish VAT rate applied.

We strive to provide the best possible price to the customer, in every market we deal in.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

We would really appreciate your feedback by clicking on one of the options below. Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Very Easy
    Fairly Easy
    Neither Easy/Difficult
    Fairly Difficult
    Very Difficult

Thanks,

My reply

Then why is the Hope AM-FR 35mm Stem 107.99 USD and 139.99 CDN? This is the normal exchange rate. Both stems are UK made. Taxes and duties are collected here in Canada. VAT does not apply.

Their reply

Thanks for your email.

Prices may vary depending on the country we are shipping to. When setting the price of an item we take into consideration a variety of factors. Due to the extensive list of these factors, this can sometimes lead to certain categories or indeed individual products having different prices in different markets at the same time.

I do apologise.

We would really appreciate your feedback by clicking on one of the options below. Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Very Easy
    Fairly Easy
    Neither Easy/Difficult
    Fairly Difficult
    Very Difficult

Thanks,

I appreciate their timely reply but I not really satisfied with the answer. It could be that some companies don't want to undercut the Canadian distributors who add a hefty level of cost for us.

Anyway, I can get a Renthal Stem cheaper from France. I'm not in the market for one right now but there are lots of options.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Going to try the new DHL option from CRC. I need new chain/cassette/chainrings so will use this opportunity to go 1x10. At least $100 cheaper (probably more) to order from CRC than even MEC. Haven't even bothered to check the LBS. I'm willing to pay upwards of 2X for local service vs. online, but not 3-4X.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure this is the longest surviving thread I have ever started on a discussion forum! .

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Try Ribble. I don't think I've bought from CRC since Wiggle bought them. Now that CRC's location based pricing has come up and they shaft Canadians, it would have to be a heck of a deal before I'd buy from them.

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Try Ribble. I don't think I've bought from CRC since Wiggle bought them. Now that CRC's location based pricing has come up and they shaft Canadians, it would have to be a heck of a deal before I'd buy from them.
    The few items I checked were still cheaper on CRC. They also seemed to lack some of MTB parts I was looking for (normal stuff like a 10sp XT 11-36T cassette).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I used them again a few weeks back. Shimano stuff always seems a pretty good price there.

I got an XT shifter and zee rear derailleur about $50 cheaper than any other online retailer once shipping was factored in.

The shifter and derailleur were not boxed though. Came in bubble wrap ie. No Shimano packaging. That's my only gripe.

I still recommend using DHL. I paid no additional fees.

nimble biker
    CC ships by DHL express. I received in 3 days. this was no charge on delivery. total cost including HST+brokerage = $88.00 for Shimano XM9 MTB shoes

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    On my order it was the opposite, different prices in the US vs Canada but the prices were much better in Canada.

New DHL option was super fast 2 days.

mtbr member
    I ordered last week form Ribble for the first time, road parts only.

They shipped via Royal Mail, stuff arrived after 3 days with no additional fees.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345