Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Talentless Hack
    DHL brokerage fee was barely more than the Canada Post fee, I think 12 bux or something. But yeah, they will charge all the taxes and obscure duties on clothes that Canada Post often ignores.

UPS in contrast, wanted $55 brokerage on a $20 item that was being replaced free under warranty.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    I've made about 20 orders with CRC over the last number of years. I've found that my goods usually arrive within two weeks (longer during busy times and holidays). I usually order enough to get the free shipping but try to keep it around $100 and I usually don't get dinged with tax and duty (sometime making multiple orders at once). I know for some items this is not possible but it seems the low value keeps customs uninterested.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The multiple order works great.I find anything ive bought over 200 has been hit with duty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

My experience

Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    The multiple order works great.I find anything ive bought over 200 has been hit with duty.
    I try to keep it low so I also do multiple when possible. It is a hit and miss but I have actually counted and I get hit 1 out of 5 times. When I do have to pay , it is sometimes for taxes but other times their our extra handling charges ( this happened 1 out of 15 times).

Here is what I have learned:

-The border is overloaded and these is small meat and potatoes.
    -During the Christmas period there really is a BLITZ at customs. I would avoid late November to late January.

Local businesses should be considered for their great service and fast replacement for parts. However, I use internet to save some money. My big purchases are usually done in Canada.

mtbr member
    Ordered a 105 crankset on Sunday, arrived at noon today. Record time, no tax or brokerage.

mtbr member
    Received a few small parts today.
    Order was $121.92, and was charged $6.10 GST, $12.16 PST and $9.95 handling.

mtbr member
    Bought a helmet that was on sale last week. Had free shipping. Ordered on Saturday, shipped Monday and received Thurday. No customs charges.
    I always use PayPal though. Don't know if that affects anything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Ordered shoes, pedals, and a tire on Friday, total ~$250 and I paid for express shipping (a mistake). Have never paid duty before on CRC. It arrived today and I was hit with $63.

Lesson is, if you want it quick, just go to the LBS. If you can wait for the mail, order small and wait.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The smaller the order is the less likely it is to get duties charged to it.....The what I have figured out after 3 years of doing business with the CRC

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Agreed. Small is good. Since CRC requires only 100 purchase, I always try to split up the transaction when possible. However, I am still getting charged 30% of the time. I also really try to make sure the savings are big .... because sometimes they have duty and sales taxes and handling. Finally, we must not forget how important it is to support our local bike shops. I talked to a guy who decided not to partner in on a successful bike shop because he couldn't believe how difficult it is to make a buck and how little they were paying their best mechanics. The guys who work in these shops have to love their job because it ain't for the money and let's face it, unless you guys are super mechanics we all need the local bike shop especially if you put in 100s of hours of biking and 1000s of miles in a year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Everything I've ordered from CRC in the last year or so has been hit with taxes and the $9 fee from Canada Post, regardless of the cost. Either I'm on a list or CRC is or customs is getting more efficient.
    Getting hit with taxes is a pain but you'd pay taxes from the LBS too.
    This shipment was the slowest I've had - took a full 2 weeks.
    I'm a little worried about their announcement of tracking on all shipments - they don't say how they are going to be shipped.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I literally just got a package from CRC valued at $104 I got charged 13% hst , $10 for a processing fee and $5 for COD (cost of delivery). OK I can live with the HST charge. But processing fee and cost of delivery is't that why I pay for shipping in the first place.....I think I am goin to make way less purchases from CRC.....Because they changed their delivery options...Most or all the $100 and over free shipping methods is going to come through DHL...I just dont like to feel ripped of by these couriers. I all ready spend way too much money on mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chaddwick25 View Post
    I literally just got a package from CRC valued at $104 I got charged 13% hst , $10 for a processing fee and $5 for COD (cost of delivery). OK I can live with the HST charge. But processing fee and cost of delivery is't that why I pay for shipping in the first place.....I think I am goin to make way less purchases from CRC.....Because they changed their delivery options...Most or all the $100 and over free shipping methods is going to come through DHL...I just dont like to feel ripped of by these couriers. I all ready spend way too much money on mountain biking.
    Yeah i noticed this too. I bet they did it because the old free option was untracked. That probably annoyed people, but not as much as tons of extra fees!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eragotte View Post
    Ordered shoes, pedals, and a tire on Friday, total ~$250 and I paid for express shipping (a mistake). Have never paid duty before on CRC. It arrived today and I was hit with $63.

Lesson is, if you want it quick, just go to the LBS. If you can wait for the mail, order small and wait.
    do you have a breakdown of the $63 as it is not likely just duty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chaddwick25 View Post
    C.O.D. is cash on delivery I bet and the charge is likely the cost of someone collecting the funds from you and forwarding those funds to CRC.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    C.O.D. is cash on delivery I bet and the charge is likely the cost of someone collecting the funds from you and forwarding those funds to CRC.
    The funds aren't forwarded to CRC as they are not involved in the customs or brokerage fees. The COD fee is what the courier charges for paying the taxes up front so that the package can be released from customs. If you want to avoid the COD fee, don't pick a courier service and just use the standard shipping which is either Parcel Force or Royal Mail and would be delivered to you by Canada Post.
    Last edited by kwarwick; 06-08-2015 at 01:57 PM.

mtbr member
    The COD fee is what the courier charges for paying the taxes up front so that the package can be released from customs.

OK, we call that a disbursement/bond fee that the courier pays to clear and release the goods but I understand. I have maybe 6 or 7 shipments, all free shipping, and all without any duty or taxes and I know that I have been lucky so probably next time I buy from CRC I will get hit with all the extras just because I said this.

mtbr member
    Unusual, but the last 2 times I ordered from CRC, I was hit with duty.

Just as bad, they used Fedex. I live in Bolton, there's no FX dropoff in Bolton. After they *"attempted" to deliver to my house 2 times, they dropped them off in... Brampton. 30 Kms away.

*Thanks Fedex for delivering only while normal people are at work.

mtbr member
    Is CRC still using the RoyalMail to Canadapost shipping method?

My last shipment was via DHL express and was here in 4 days. This was the free shipping option since the order was valued over $100. Ordered on a Tuesday at 6am local time, package was at my door Friday at 3pm. I live in rural Nova Scotia. I was super impressed.

Order was a brand new rockshox pike. Even with a $130 customs ding, it was still $300 cheaper than both my local LBS's wanted for the exact same fork. I got hit with provincial sales tax on the fork, which I am trying to figure out if I can get a refund for or not.

mtbr member
    Besides my LBS I'm using Jenson more and more, they include everything so there's no surprises.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMarc View Post
    Besides my LBS I'm using Jenson more and more, they include everything so there's no surprises.
    Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
    No surprises but hefty shipping fee and always pay taxes. One of the benefits of mail order is the chance of 13% savings if you don't get hit with taxes.
    Jenson has free shipping to Canada over $200, if you need a lot of stuff that's a great deal. However, the UK is a lot cheaper for some things.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hey, got home yesterday to a DHL yellow notice in my mailbox. For my $164CAD order of two pairs of shorts and a shock pump they have tacked on $69.92 in taxes, duties and processing fees.

naturally i will reject the order and DHL will ship it back and I will get a refund.

Those in the USA and Canada who are on CRC's distribution list would have received an email a couple weeks ago saying all of their shipments are now tracked.

What I just learned the above means is that everything now ships via courier rather than cheap Royal Mail. I have thousands of dollars worth of orders over the years and I must be very lucky as I can never recall being charged for any duties or taxes on anything ever.

It's unfortunate, but i can no longer use CRC as great as they have been over the years.

So beware, there is now no possible way of avoiding any and all duties, taxes and "brokerage" charges on your shipments.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Luthor View Post
    Hey, got home yesterday to a DHL yellow notice in my mailbox. For my $164CAD order of two pairs of shorts and a shock pump they have tacked on $69.92 in taxes, duties and processing fees.

naturally i will reject the order and DHL will ship it back and I will get a refund.

Those in the USA and Canada who are on CRC's distribution list would have received an email a couple weeks ago saying all of their shipments are now tracked.

What I just learned the above means is that everything now ships via courier rather than cheap Royal Mail. I have thousands of dollars worth of orders over the years and I must be very lucky as I can never recall being charged for any duties or taxes on anything ever.

It's unfortunate, but i can no longer use CRC as great as they have been over the years.

So beware, there is now no possible way of avoiding any and all duties, taxes and "brokerage" charges on your shipments.
    That sucks, if true.

Did you pay anything extra for this order that was sent DHL? In the past DHL was only used for their higher priority shipping and you had to pay extra for it. Otherwise they would ship via Parcel Force (tracked) courier or via Royal Mail (untracked). In both cases the final delivery was done by CanadaPost.

I find it hard to believe they are using DHL for their "free" shipping now, as that would cost them a small fortune.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I cannot make this stuff up....well I can but I don't tell tales.

The shipment was out of their warranty area. So they discounted two pairs of shorts for me in light of a warranty (technically out-of-warranty thus a discount) issue and then I added a shock pump.

The rep said great and said it's shipped. That was on Tuesday so 48 hours from CRC to North Van is impressive as delivery was attempted yesterday.

You can go to their shipping details on their site and they have not changed. They make it appear as there is a basic free service. It is ALL tracked now.

Here is my reply from them this morning:

"Hi Jason
    Thanks for your e mail.

To improve customer experience we have recently stated moving to a fully tracked shipping service to ensure our customers receive their orders in a quick and reliable time frame.

Unfortunately customs charges and fees for processing orders through customs our outside of our control. This is explained on our delivery page of our website here: *Shipping | Chain Reaction Cycles

As our couriers fast track orders through the customs process to ensure orders are delivered quickly they sometimes add on a handling fee. We do advise on our website that any extra costs for customs/handling fees must be covered by the customer.

I am sorry if you were unaware that orders being imported into Canada may be subject to additional charges.

If the order is refused DHL will return it to us for a full refund.

We do appreciate you taking time to provide us with your feedback. Please be assured, we are listening closely to all feedback and we work hard on continual improvements to give you a really good shopping experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    No surprises but hefty shipping fee and always pay taxes. One of the benefits of mail order is the chance of 13% savings if you don't get hit with taxes.
    Jenson has free shipping to Canada over $200, if you need a lot of stuff that's a great deal. However, the UK is a lot cheaper for some things.
    Since when has Jenson had free shipping to Canada on orders over $200?! I've always had to pay for FedEx. Great service though, if you need something fast... usually 1-2 days to receive my order in Toronto.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    And here's my reply to the above:

So you no longer offer a royal mail choice for any orders?

I did see your blurb about moving to tracked orders and am very well aware of import charges, however that is the whole point of using regular mail: they never impose such charges and couriers ALWAYS do.

You guys will kill your sales to Canada with this move. I don't know if that's a big enough market to be concerned with but every Canadian knows to avoid couriers if shipping into Canada.

So just to confirm, by refusing delivery this will get back to you through DHL no problem? Is that aspect trackable?

And their reply:

Hi
    Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback.

Please be assured, we are listening closely to all feedback and we work hard on continual improvements to give you a really good shopping experience.

I can also confirm that if the order is refused then the goods will be returned to us by DHL for a full refund.

Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

I cannot make this stuff up....well I can but I don't tell tales.

The shipment was out of their warranty area. So they discounted two pairs of shorts for me in light of a warranty (technically out-of-warranty thus a discount) issue and then I added a shock pump.

The rep said great and said it's shipped. That was on Tuesday so 48 hours from CRC to North Van is impressive as delivery was attempted yesterday.

You can go to their shipping details on their site and they have not changed. They make it appear as there is a basic free service. It is ALL tracked now.

Here is my reply from them this morning:

"Hi Jason
    Thanks for your e mail.

To improve customer experience we have recently stated moving to a fully tracked shipping service to ensure our customers receive their orders in a quick and reliable time frame.

Unfortunately customs charges and fees for processing orders through customs our outside of our control. This is explained on our delivery page of our website here: *Shipping | Chain Reaction Cycles

As our couriers fast track orders through the customs process to ensure orders are delivered quickly they sometimes add on a handling fee. We do advise on our website that any extra costs for customs/handling fees must be covered by the customer.

I am sorry if you were unaware that orders being imported into Canada may be subject to additional charges.

If the order is refused DHL will return it to us for a full refund.

We do appreciate you taking time to provide us with your feedback. Please be assured, we are listening closely to all feedback and we work hard on continual improvements to give you a really good shopping experience.
    OK, that explains why they used DHL... I had the same thing happen a few years ago on a warranty replacement.

I would bet they still use Parcel Force for the "free" shipping. I think all their new policy means is they will no longer use the untracked Royal Mail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    kwarwick, I'll ask them and reply here.

kwarwick, I'll ask them and reply here.
    I just wanted to emphasize there is an important distinction between ParcelForce and most other couriers (DHL, UPS, etc). ParcelForce is a courier service of sorts, but it comes into Canada as a priority mail service and is then handled by Canada Post for the final delivery. This means you will most likely (but not always) get dinged for HST, and a $10 handling fee but that's it. None of those bull-sh*t brokerage fees and COD fees that other couriers charge.

Sure I'd love to have it come in totally free, but Parcel Force is probably the next best thing in my experience.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yes, I knew that's what you were getting at and am aware of how Parcel Force works and hands off to Canada Post.

I believe you may be correct and I will confirm with them. I did make the assumption it was all DHL now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Since when has Jenson had free shipping to Canada on orders over $200?! I've always had to pay for FedEx. Great service though, if you need something fast... usually 1-2 days to receive my order in Toronto.
    Earlier in May they had a deal with free shipping to Canada for $175. Saved more than $50 US shipping on some wire bead 29+ tires - and saved probably close to $150 on the tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Earlier in May they had a deal with free shipping to Canada for $175. Saved more than $50 US shipping on some wire bead 29+ tires - and saved probably close to $150 on the tires.
    Sweet deal. Funny thing I looked at Jenson this morning and I could swear I there was a shipping promo for Canada but when I looked again this afternoon I see no signs of it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sweet deal. Funny thing I looked at Jenson this morning and I could swear I there was a shipping promo for Canada but when I looked again this afternoon I see no signs of it.
    FREE SHIPPING TO CANADA for orders of $200 | Use Promo Code "CANSHIP200"
    The problem with it being a promo is you can't stack it with other promos - at least I couldn't when I tried.

mtbr member
    it comes and goes throughout the same day even.

I ordered 2 weeks ago...filled my basket in the morning, used CANSHIP150.

Went to checkout that night, it had expired...but CANSHIP175 was active.

As for the CRC issue, i had the same problem with On One UK (shipping via DHL) this winter.

$415 CAD order from the UK (bike parts).

$214 in charges by DHL.

The issue turned out to be Canada Customs, not DHL.

Long story short, I paid $313 USD, CC felt it was British Pounds so converted it to almost $600 CAD.

Then they called the whole thing "clothing" when only $110 USD of it was and charged 18% duty on it all.

I called On One and they said I could just refuse the package or fight with CC.

I accepted the package and paid.

I did the dispute with Canada Customs....2 months later, got a refund of about $135 IIRC.

More recently, a small order came from them via Canada Post...no charges whatsoever.

I just placed an order from Wiggle (a road wheelset) with free shipping, I asked for regular mail...we shall see.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    Then they called the whole thing "clothing" when only $110 USD of it was and charged 18% duty on it all.
    I had a similar problem with a Wiggle order years ago. Instead of the typical declaration of "bike parts or bike accessories" that CRC typically uses, Wiggle's declaration was annoyingly specific for each line item... so the bike gloves were clothing... the bike light was lighting equipment. I ended up being assessed HST + duty on pretty much the whole shipment...

I haven't ordered from Wiggle since that.

OK, that explains why they used DHL... I had the same thing happen a few years ago on a warranty replacement.

I would bet they still use Parcel Force for the "free" shipping. I think all their new policy means is they will no longer use the untracked Royal Mail.
    I just wanted to emphasize there is an important distinction between ParcelForce and most other couriers (DHL, UPS, etc). ParcelForce is a courier service of sorts, but it comes into Canada as a priority mail service and is then handled by Canada Post for the final delivery. This means you will most likely (but not always) get dinged for HST, and a $10 handling fee but that's it. None of those bull-sh*t brokerage fees and COD fees that other couriers charge.

Sure I'd love to have it come in totally free, but Parcel Force is probably the next best thing in my experience.
    Its all DHL now, no more ParcelForce. This is my email with them a couple days ago.

Hi, Is there still an option for the parcel force untracked delivery service to Canada? Some people I've talked to are saying it all comes DHL now and are paying ridiculous fees that DHL charges compared to the old Canada Post delivery. Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your email.

At this moment we do not offer a non-tracked service to Canada, however due to the feedback we have received from customs we are looking into maybe providing this option again.

In the meantime sorry for any inconvenience caused.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    Its all DHL now, no more ParcelForce. This is my email with them a couple days ago.
    I think you may have confused them with your question... you asked if there was still parcelforce untracked delivery service, but ParcelForce is a *tracked* delivery service, and royal mail is the untracked one.

I think you may have confused them with your question... you asked if there was still parcelforce untracked delivery service, but ParcelForce is a *tracked* delivery service, and royal mail is the untracked one.
    Either way, everyone I know who has gotten an order from them has had it come DHL with lots of fees with the free shipping.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If its coming through dhl I wont be buying from them anymore. I always get ridiculous h

Charges from them. 20.00 on a waranty xt cassette. Its only a 50.00 item to begin with.

mtbr member
    I sure hope they will use parcel force still. Ive been hit or miss on brokerage and taxes with them. Even if you get it its still only $10brockerage and HST through canada post.

I recently got a DHL order that was $110 with $38 of brokerage, duty and taxes. BS....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    My ask of CRC on Friday (after my DHL bill):

"Ok, I need to know this because it is going to dictate whether it is possible to order from you in the future.

If I place an order and choose the basic free delivery option, who is the carrier? or does it vary? I have been told (not by CRC) that DHL is your premium offering and DHL was chosen as this went thru via your warranty area.

Parcel Force hands off to Canada Post, in which case i'd have been charged little or nothing to receive that.

Anyway, be nice to know as I do like you guys and it would suck if you were no longer an economical source for bike parts due to inflated (by the couriers) import charges."

And my reply from CRC this Monday morning:

"Hi Jason

Thanks for your e mail.

At present the standard delivery option to Canada is DHL Express. However our shipping managers are currently listening to the feedback from our Canadian customers to come up with a resolution to this problem so there may be changes made to this service in the near future."

I'm sure they'll change this soon.

My ask of CRC on Friday (after my DHL bill):

"Ok, I need to know this because it is going to dictate whether it is possible to order from you in the future.

If I place an order and choose the basic free delivery option, who is the carrier? or does it vary? I have been told (not by CRC) that DHL is your premium offering and DHL was chosen as this went thru via your warranty area.

Parcel Force hands off to Canada Post, in which case i'd have been charged little or nothing to receive that.

Anyway, be nice to know as I do like you guys and it would suck if you were no longer an economical source for bike parts due to inflated (by the couriers) import charges."

And my reply from CRC this Monday morning:

"Hi Jason

Thanks for your e mail.

At present the standard delivery option to Canada is DHL Express. However our shipping managers are currently listening to the feedback from our Canadian customers to come up with a resolution to this problem so there may be changes made to this service in the near future."

I'm sure they'll change this soon.
    Thanks for getting a definitive answer from them!

I think I'll send CRC an email to let them know I won't be ordering anything futher from them until they change this. Such a shame, they were my go to store for bike related items. I probably placed 30-40 orders with them in the last 10 years.

CRC Response

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your email.

To improve customer experience we have recently started moving to a fully tracked shipping service to ensure our customers receive their orders in a quick and reliable time frame. This change was made based on customer feedback.

Our standard shipping courier to Canada is now DHL Express. Due to the large volume of orders placed every day our warehouse systems are highly automated, this means that when you select standard tracked or priority tracked we are unable to manually select the shipping method. So your order may go DHL Express, FedEx or Parcel Force. A decision as to the best method to send your order is made automatically at the point of dispatch, this decision is based on a number of factors such as destination, weight, dimensions etc.

The only way to currently guarantee that your order is not sent by DHL, would be to select and pay for a FedEx tracked service.

Customs charges and fees for processing orders through customs are outside of our control. This is explained on our delivery page of our website here: *Shipping | Chain Reaction Cycles

I am sorry for any inconvenience these changes may cause.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,

Kenny

----- Karl Warwick Wrote -----

Hello,

I understand that CRC has recently changed their shipping methods for orders bound for Canada and that DHL is now the standard method used.

I just want to voice my extreme displeasure with this change as DHL (like many couriers) charges excessive brokerage fees for orders that they clear through Canadian customs. The previous methods of ParcelForce and Royal mail were much preferred in that they were handled by Canada Post for delivery and had a reasonable $10 handling fee. I'm not sure why the change, but it will significantly increase the cost for the customer, and means I won't be placing further orders with CRC until this policy is changed.

I've purchased 40 or more orders in the past 10 years so hopefully my concerns will carry some weight with your management and they will consider changing this policy.

Regards,

Karl

mtbr member
    Sort of related, but it's Wiggle not CRC.

I just ordered a set of road wheels and a cassette from Wiggle with "free" shipping. Total was about $160 CAD.

I got a text message from DHL advising of fees of approx $35 CAD.

A bit of bloat there for sure.

Not sure if they used DHL because of the size of the box or if that's regular practice now for them.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    sounds like HST plus their $10 brokerage + $4 COD.

The COD piece is funny as it can only be for the COD aspect of all the charges that DHL are imposing. Or I guess they have to charge COD for the taxes they are the agent for?

Simply shipping an item to Canada is no good unless the carrier is known. E-tailers outside of Canada but shipping to Canada must find Canada a complete anomaly, no? Whereas other areas want tracking + fast we just want the complete opposite.

sounds like HST plus their $10 brokerage + $4 COD.

The COD piece is funny as it can only be for the COD aspect of all the charges that DHL are imposing. Or I guess they have to charge COD for the taxes they are the agent for?

Simply shipping an item to Canada is no good unless the carrier is known. E-tailers outside of Canada but shipping to Canada must find Canada a complete anomaly, no? Whereas other areas want tracking + fast we just want the complete opposite.
    I wish I could get the full story behind this change. While I understand they probably had issues with items sent via un-tracked Royal Mail, I can't for the life of me understand what was wrong with using ParcelForce? Only thing I can figure is ParcelForce costs them too much and they got a better deal from DHL.

Hey if I was DHL I'd cut them a "special" deal knowing I'd make it up on the back end with all the extra brokerage charges, but that's probably not the best business model. ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just ordered some pedals and got the DHL confirmation e-mail. I'll let everyone know how much it costs.....

Perpetual Hack
    Received an order yesterday.

I was below a hundred, so paid 9.99 for shipping.

CRC Invoice total = 90.43

DHL Invoice total = 26.54

Breakdown from the DHL invoice - maybe I be stupid, but I be missing something in their maths...

Goods and Taxes
    Value of Goods - 80.44
    Value for Tax - 80.43
    Tax: GST-4.01, PST-6.43

Description of dispersing Charges.
    HST - 10.44 + 0 tax
    Processing Fee - 10.00 + 1.30 tax
    COD Fee - 4.25 + .55 tax

Subtotal - 20.68 + 5.86 tax

Total - 26.54
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

No good

Had two orders shiped this week to Alberta. FYI:

Order 1
    Subtotal $33.98
    Shiping: $9.99
    Total: $43.97
    Fees: $18.98 (43%)

Order 2
    Subtotal: $288.90
    Shipping: $7.99
    Total: $296.89
    DHL Fees: $37.95 (13%)

Sucks, but it's not a deal-breaker on the larger order.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So not too bad - about $15 compared to the 9.50 from Canada Post. A pain on a small order but not a big deal on a larger order. Biggest issue is always getting nailed on taxes rather than the usual chance of not getting taxes/fee from Canada Post.