Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBone View Post
    Duty is maximum 10$.
    No... duty is a percentage of value, with no maximum, based on the classification of goods.

The "service fee" that Canada Post charges for clearing a package, if it gets routed through them from a similar international carrier like Royal Mail, is only $10 ($9.95 actually) if they choose to assess it. Maybe this is what you are referring to?
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Konos View Post
    Looking at ordering a wheelset from CRC but I'm worried about duty as from what I've been reading its the ONLY "bike part" that is hit with fees?

Can anyone chime in on recent experience ordering a wheelset from CRC (or any other competitive online retailer? Canadian one would be nice especially if it means guaranteed no duty)

Thanks in advance!
    I bought a wheel set last year from CRC. I got hit twice by Canada Post as the wheels came in two boxes. I had to contest the double duty fee. Get CRC to ship in one box... to reduce the chance of the same thing happening.

mtbr member
    I've used the fast as hell but you pay for it (ordered Friday, received Monday) DHL option twice in the last month and both times had duties to pay for. Still happy with the service and overall cost though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by toned View Post
    I ordered some tires on the 17th, they were dispatched on the 18th...nothing yet (8 business days)

hopefully soon!
    In case anyone reads this thread later, I ended up getting them the following day, so 9 days after they were sent out

I did do the cheapest shipping option and did NOT get dinged any customs / additional fees

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. For those of you that were hit how bad was it? I remember ordering custom floor mats for my wife's Grand Am GT many moons ago. $300 for the mats - $125 in duties and other handling fees. If you don't mind sharing costs of the shipment would really help make my mind up I think. Or PM me if you don't want to post it publicly (in case anyone's wives are watching the forums! )

mtbr member
    (With DHL, all costs below in CAD)

One order was ~322, had to pay ~65 at the door

Second order was ~76, had to pay ~25 at the door

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I haven't had such a positive experience...

Purchased a Sram XO Cassette, chain whip and wrench for $260 and paid the $20 for express shipping to arrive Friday/or Tuesday last week.. My duties and taxes were $105 (38% of the value of the product) and DHL has still not delivered the package. When I called them they said it was sent standard shipping and they mistakenly shipped it to my address instead of holding it.

My first time ordering from CRC and will probably the last.

No. Just No.
    Your mistake was opting for the express service. I doubt you paid 38% in duties and taxes. More likely you only paid 13% HST in taxes, zero duty, and paid the rest as a "brokerage admin fee" to DHL for their services in clearing the package through customs on your behalf. Lesson to be learned is never to use any shipping type except those which get passed off to Canada Post for final delivery, since C-P has a fixed $9.95 brokerage admin fee regardless of value, unlike the sliding % scale used by DHL, UPS, etc. Chain Reaction's standard shipping service (free over certain order amount) normally uses Royal Mail, which then hands off to Canada Post. Sorry to hear you got hammered on extra costs.

Quote Originally Posted by marcymarc View Post
    I haven't had such a positive experience...

Purchased a Sram XO Cassette, chain whip and wrench for $260 and paid the $20 for express shipping to arrive Friday/or Tuesday last week.. My duties and taxes were $105 (38% of the value of the product) and DHL has still not delivered the package. When I called them they said it was sent standard shipping and they mistakenly shipped it to my address instead of holding it.

My first time ordering from CRC and will probably the last.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What Circlip said!

Always take the free shipping if you dont want to pay. The magic number for me has been under 200 I rarely get duty charges. but that hasnt been 100%

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    how long does it normally take for your orders to arrive via the standard shipping?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Week to 10 days

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just order last thursday, hope I will receive it this week and will not have duty fees or brokerage fees. Will give you some news as soon as I receive it.

and sorry for this offtopic question, but did you have other online website whery I can buy bike parts at good price ?? Found some good deal on ebay, but not sure I want to order bike parts from china and not be sure of the quality..

mtbr member
    JensonUSA has decent prices and often brands CRC doesn't carry. They have a checkout setup that adds duty and brokerage fees so there's zero surprises at the door when it arrives.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just received my order, I order on Sept. 4th and was delivered today Sept. 15th. Order cost me 165$, bashgard, grips, pedals, gloves, bottle, bottle cage, and have no duties or brokerage fees to pay. I'm really happy will order more stuff from Chain Reaction for sure!!
    Last edited by lunyk; 09-23-2014 at 07:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but someone pointed me towards an online CANADIAN store they've been using and the prices are close if not on par with CRC. Not as big a selection but still great prices. Mountain Bike Parts for Less - Shop TBS Bike Parts, Canada
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member

Latest CRC Experience

Quote Originally Posted by lunyk View Post
    order bike parts from china and not be sure of the quality..
    Just sharing my recent experience with CRC, the awesome deal and thoughts on ordering form China.
    Sept 20th ordered SLX brakes with finned pads from CRC. Arrive Oct 3rd. I tried to get price match from Jensen, but my usual experience with them is they decline. Fine by me even with having to pay the $30 to Canada post at the door I saved $82 for the pair. Why didn't Jensen match the price? The brakes were setup as front right, rear left (Aussie style). Some may argue that it is a legit reason, but for a secondary bike and the 15min it took to switch the levers to front left and rear right, well worth it. I had to trim the hoses and you get a spare barb and olive anyway, specifically for that purpose. So $168CAD from CRC vs the $250CAD from Jensen means my secondary bike will see more trail, now that the old death grip hydros are replaced. Either way I'm glad I did not get those used Formula C1's for $200 off Pinkbike.

As for parts from China, it's were all the parts are made. I have no hesitation, but I have done the research, asked the seemingly stupid questions. Yes, I have been burned before, but Paypal is your friend if that happens. No hesitation giving refunds if seller does not respond or misrepresented the product.
    As for warranty - Bike parts wear out or break usually before that. Anytime I have tried Shimano warranty Is has been denied anyway. Either by saying it was abuse or worn out through normal use. I can go on about the warranty issue.. but I have learned if you but the higher end components they really do last longer.
    It is always risky buying over the net. If I had a choice I would support my LBS and let them do everything. If I ever do not have to watch my money.. like if I won the lottery.. They would do ALL my work. I actually like working on my bike. I have even built a few wheels. It was scary to ride my first attempt. it was well.. a little out of round. Straight, but the hop at higher speeds was pretty funny and got some laughs. Plus I learned a lot.

If you never try, you never fail, if you never fail how do you know what success is. that $82 I saved is going in to a new tire.. to be purchased from my LBS. I'm considering it a free tire.
    night riding - it's an adiction

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just got my order, ordered 9/22, shipped 9/23, post office tried to deliver Oct 1. One day more than a week. Had to pay $30 taxes and fee. Got a tracking number which surprised me, was shipped PacelForce, part of Royal Mail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    One problem with ordering from Jenson is that they automatically add taxes to your order. The possibility of not having to pay taxes is an incentive to ordering online - a 13% discount.

isthatbill
    Oct 2003
    Ordered some shorts and shirts about a week ago, ordered enough to qualify for free shipping. Order was delivered today and only got dinged for the GST. I just used the standard shipping and had no brokerage or duty fees.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You are lucky, I've always avoided ordering clothes or shoes - 18% duty. What did they put on the customs declaration - bike parts?

broken clavicle club
    15 days, pkg shipped from Belgium. "New cycling goods". No duty. Great price on shimano clipless pedals... and a couple t-shirts

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There is 10% off min purchase of $149 for Canadians till Oct 14. Code "THANKS"

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ^ I used that code with my last purchase. I have had nothing but positive experiences from CRC since 2008. Unbelievably the most I have ever had to pay was GST and duty only once or twice. I think it depends on the origin of the product and/or what it is (e.g. clothing vs parts).

Rocking on a Rocky
    Last order from chain reaction was an XT 10 speed cassette and X T 10 speed chain. Got dinged for GST and extra shipping 9.95. still under 80 Canadian for both.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I am thinking of ordering a bike worth $2200 from CRC. Anyone has an idea of how much the taxes and duties will be?....I am hoping for HST(13%) + handling fee $10. I would really like to get an answer from someone who has bought a complete bike with CRC shipping it via postal office...Thanks

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaddwick25 View Post
    I am thinking of ordering a bike worth $2200 from CRC. Anyone has an idea of how much the taxes and duties will be?....I am hoping for HST(13%) + handling fee $10. I would really like to get an answer from someone who has bought a complete bike with CRC shipping it via postal office...Thanks
    What we know from this thread is that the application of the various taxes and duties/tariffs is hit and miss. I rate your chances of escaping the full treatment as possible, but very unlikely due to the size of the package and the value. If so, on top of the 13% HST, you will get hit with another 13% in duty applicable to complete bikes in this price class. See references at these links;

The BikeBike Blog: Tariffs on Bicycles Imported to Canada

Importing Bikes and Parts to Canada ? Vancruisers.ca

mtbr member
    as mentioned it is pretty hit and miss. I bought a frame and fork from China and no duty, taxes or handling. But I might have to pay next time. No guaranty. The duty is listed on the Canada Border Service Agency site here ARCHIVED - Chapter 87 – T2013-2 and the tariff item is 8712.00.00 If you want to clarify with Canada Customs you can phone them for a ruling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I believe there is a 13% duty on complete bikes. Hard to say if you will get hit with it but I'd plan on it and take it as a nice surprise if you don't.

mtbr member
    Got lucky this time...
    Package took a bit longer to get here, but no extra charges so I'm happy.
    Try to be loyal to my LBS, but when I pay $208 for:
    Conti Attack-Force set, Ultegra 10speed casette, Dura-Ace chain and a
    Castelli Thermo Beanie it is really hard to do so...
    I got hit for duty and handling before though, so it's really a hit or miss...

mtbr member
    Ordered a new custom rear wheel on a hope hub from CRC last week.
    I placed the order on Sunday, November 23rd at about 5pm.
    Wheel was built and dispatched by Wednesday the 26th. I got an email that afternoon saying it had been dispatched.
    Box was dropped off at my door today, December 3rd. One week shipping from the UK to Canada. Pretty fast for free shipping if you ask me!
    My last package took almost 3 weeks, go figure.
    Custom wheel build looks legit too, came with a little form the builder filled out showing all the checks and tension specs.

mtbr member
    Anyone order from anything from CRC since Christmas? I placed an order on the 28th and its still processing 3 days later. Boourns.

mtbr member
    ^I do remember seeing an email or something with their christmas/ newyear schedule and it was closed quite a bit.
    That said I had an order shipped in 2 parts on the 10th of Dec (shipped an hour after I hit enter)and the first arrived 4 days later and the other is still somehow en route.
    Just took advantage of the last day of $20 off and made a few separate orders today too.
    Going to call about the missing one in a few days if it hasn't arrived.
    GTA
    Ontario

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Is the website working for you guys? It's being very buggy for me. The homepage has a bunch of drop down menu arrows everywhere.

mtbr member
    Looks good here.
    GTA
    Ontario

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Just checked again, looking fine now. Don't know what happened!
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It was messed up for me too. But I linked in through my email. Maybe that was the issue

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Has anyone had experience exchanging an item with CRC?

I bought a 180mm XT crankset, would like to exchange for a 175mm set.. hasn't been used, still have original cardboard packaging, though it didn't ship to me in the original Shimano packaging..

TIA.

mtbr member
    I made a recent order from CRC (crankset, BB and chain) over Xmas, got heree in about 10 days from ordering.

Usual brokerage and taxes owed as it was shipped through Royal Mail / Canada Post
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvestri View Post
    Has anyone had experience exchanging an item with CRC?

I bought a 180mm XT crankset, would like to exchange for a 175mm set.. hasn't been used, still have original cardboard packaging, though it didn't ship to me in the original Shimano packaging..

TIA.
    Fill out a returns form and ship it back however you choose depending on how much security you want on it. You pay shipping unless they made a mistake or it is a warranty issue.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I think I'd try putting it up on Kijiji for a few days. With it being 180 and assuming it was fairly cheap on CRC, it might sell quick.
    For that matter, what would you need to sell it for to cover your costs?
    I run 180 on a couple of bikes and really like it - gives just a little extra oomph on short hills.

mtbr member
    I made two purchases from CRC in November and December. The first was XTR 987 brakes and the second was DT Swiss 1501 wheelset.

I was shocked when both arrived without any duty or tax. It was Canada Post that delivered both times and all they wanted is a signature. Both items arrived in the weekend, so I was home for both.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    I built a new bike up in January with several shipments arriving December and January from CRC and other places. The shipments that arrived around Christmas had no charges applied at all, not even HST. This was a pleasant surprise, especially for the frame which shipped from the manufacturer in the US - a savings of $300

Talentless Hack
    Yeah, they were really slacking this year. All my stuff was waved through. My road wheels were delivered on a weekend and I answered the door with my credit card in hand...nothing.

They should probably tighten up a bit on this, and I'm saying this as a guy who saved a pile of money from the slackery. Local shops have enough trouble competing with on-line retail without another 13% discount caused by understaffing at customs. The deflating dollar should take the wind out of US-based internet shopping, but European currencies are falling almost as fast as the loonie.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Not sure if it has been mentioned, but my latest order came with tracking. Parcelforce in the UK, and then by Canada Post. I went with the free shipping option. Is this new or have I just not been paying attention lately?

mtbr member
    I haven't seen tracking unless they've sent a replacement or such on their own dime. I made 5 purchases over a week near christmas to take advantage of the $20 off 150 deal. Behold 4 of them were dinged with tax and the $10 handling fee. The one that slipped through was the only one I ordered for someone else LOL.
    Also for the first time ever the wait was at least 3 weeks.
    Another thing I've noticed is that the customs "value for duty" that CRC prints on the box includes the full amount before the discount so you're paying tax on money you never spent. I've been meaning to contact them to ask about this for some time now.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr Decade+
    I've always had tracking with my CRC orders that shipped Parcelforce! There is another in the mail right now!
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Ordered near beginning of Jan using the free shipping method from CRC which arrives via Canada Post. Took about 20 business days for me to receive the package. In regards to customs fees and HST it is hit and miss. But with Canada Post the brokerage fee is always reasonable at $10.

Found this interesting link UPS/FedEx Brokerage Fee ? avoid scam (Canada) | Trueler indicating you can clear items yourself if using UPS to avoid their expensive custom brokerage fees. Never tried it myself though since I always go through Canada Post.

mtbr member
    Yeah problem with self declaring is fighting with the courier and having to goto their warehouse to pick it up. Also it highlights the goods to CBSA and you'll no longer be gambling with getting dinged or not. Self declaration is good to know but I don't see it replacing shipping via Canada Post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    just in case anyone is curious about timing, i just received in the mail today about $200CAD worth of stuff from Chain Reaction. Arrived 6 days after ordering - quite impressed. Better yet, no customs/duty/GST charges either. I used the cheapest (free - Parcelforce) delivery option, and it's been my experience this is the most likely way to avoid duty. DHL, UPS, etc, the brokerage fees tend to be enormous and negates the savings you might have enjoyed. YMMV.

edit: DHL used to be terrible with surcharges, but it seems DHL is actually quite good now, based on recent success ordering from bike-discount and hibike. UPS on the other hand, must be avoided at all costs.
    Last edited by powderturns; 07-09-2015 at 01:04 PM.

mtbr member
    I find the same. Free shipping option is 5-7 business days, and looking back I paid brokerage/tax on maybe 2 of my previous 10 orders. Generally try to keep the value to their discount requirements. Both of my tax/brokered orders were over $300. The rest were ~$150 or less.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast