Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Placed an order late Monday night and received it Friday! (DHL Express)

No Stranger to danger....
    CRC= the best online shop by a country mile.....they have never disappointed me in 6 years.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    Never, never NEVER ship UPS Ground. I've learned that mistake before. Just Google "UPS brokerage fee scam"
    A friend has had a lot shipped through them and always refuses to accept delivery. They usually offer to waive their fee since it is worse for them to send it back. Have not tried it myself yet.

ups and downs
    UPS is also happy to auction off undelivered goods if the shipper didn't instruct the goods to be returned if undelivered.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

sheep in FOX clothing
    The Canada customs handling fee is up to 10 bucks per package (+HST on goods).

mtbr member

Chain Reaction Cycles shipping to Canada

placed an order Sunday at 10pm (Eastern Time) and received the package Wednesday at 7pm (shipped via DHL)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    How the heck do they do that? Ordered Thursday, shipped Friday and arrived today, Wednesday.
    Canada Post, no duty or taxes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I ordered from On-one in the UK last Tuesday night. It shipped Wednesday morning. it showed up Monday. Canada Post, also no duties or Taxes. Totally surprised. Like CRC, On-one usually takes 5-7 days.

Not going to question it, just accept it and be happy

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    How the heck do they do that? Ordered Thursday, shipped Friday and arrived today, Wednesday.
    Canada Post, no duty or taxes.
    The British mail and shipping today is like what Canada Post was like 20-30 years ago.

mtbr member
    Ordered Thursday, was in my mailbox today on Wednesday. Free shipping, no tax, no duties. Love it.
    "We will call you Cygnus, the god of balance you shall be."

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I placed order 8-18 Sun night.
    They ship out 8-20 Tue and DL to my home Elgin, IL 8-22 Thur.
    I was surpriced !!!
    Everything good till today.

I got an mail from DHL.
    They want me to pay custom duty which is $62.51
    WTF????

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mark729 View Post
    I placed order 8-18 Sun night.
    They ship out 8-20 Tue and DL to my home Elgin, IL 8-22 Thur.
    I was surpriced !!!
    Everything good till today.

I got an mail from DHL.
    They want me to pay custom duty which is $62.51
    WTF????
    This happened to me once before, after 2 shipments with no duty charges. It seems to be more common if it is a mixed package of duty exempt and non exempt items.

I just filled in the form that came with the customs bill, indicating that the items were bike parts and therefore duty free, and got a refund in the mail a few weeks later.

Certainly not enough of a hassle to put me off - shiny new XT brakes and shifters are en route from CRC right now!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Canadian CRC shipments always seem to come in the mail - so no brokerage charges. Just taxes, maybe duty.

sheep in FOX clothing
    DHL's brokerage charge is $10, the same as canada post's.

The problem is that as a private company they have to take the high road and charge taxes + duty on everything, whereas CanadaPost goes directly through the CBSA who sometimes wave stuff through if they are busy.

So you are gonna be paying an extra 18% +HST on any clothes from wiggle in a surprise invoice after-the-fact from DHL, whereas with CRC/CanadaPost you might pay the same, but maybe nothing at all.

Wiggle used to ship with Royal Mail/Canada post, so this change, while it speeds up shipping, adds some pretty big hidden $$$ on that discount jersey and shorts. Which are STILL probably cheaper that MSRP around here....

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Shinybikes: Sram Force 22 gruppo to my door 8 days after ordering $1191, woot!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Shipped $200 of parts with free shipping option. Arrived through Canada Post with no taxes or fees. The box was half open but nothing had fallen out. It looked like whoever packaged it used some half ass box without proper lid flaps and only taped one half, leaving the other half of the lid with no tape at all.

When I bought a wheelset from them I owed Canada post 15% of the cost of the wheelset.

mtbr member
    The closer to Christmas we get the more likely we are to have packages unchecked by CBSA. It's a great time to save 15% more.
    Of about 10 orders I've had from them over 2 years 4-5 went through tax free. (about half)
    I love when that happens
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Smaller items seems to be shipped through Royal Mail International which doesn't seem to pass customs. Always straight to my door. Larger items seems to go through Parcel Force International which always passes through customs.

I ordered a set of brakes which was sent via Royal mail and received an empty box. Glad CRC came through sending out a replacement.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    I just ordered a few items from CRC yesterday (Nov 23) so I'll report back on how it goes.

Mark

mtbr member
    Parts came in today (Nov 27). I had to pay HST and some duty so it ended up costing me an extra $28 on a $100 order.

Mark

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Circuit View Post
    Parts came in today (Nov 27). I had to pay HST and some duty so it ended up costing me an extra $28 on a $100 order.

Mark
    Just out of curiosity, how much did you "save" off retail?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Duty should only be charged on complete bikes and clothes, IIRC.

There is a flat rate customs fee and then HST.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Smaller items seems to be shipped through Royal Mail International which doesn't seem to pass customs. Always straight to my door. Larger items seems to go through Parcel Force International which always passes through customs.
    Well this has been shot down! CRC sent my package via Royal Mail International and was charged taxes + $9.95 Canada Post handling fee. The last two orders that was sent this way came straight to my door, no fees. Win some loose some. Just happy it wasn't an empty box like the last shipment via RMI.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how much did you "save" off retail?
    I don't know, I placed this order to see how long it would take to arrive at my door. I'll have to do some digging around to see what retail prices are on the things that I bought.

Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Duty should only be charged on complete bikes and clothes, IIRC.

There is a flat rate customs fee and then HST.
    Yea, sorry it wasn't duty, I have the invoice here and it was GST/PST/HST on the products, a processing fee, a collect on delivery fee and then GST on that total amount.
    Taxes on taxes lol

Mark

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast