Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chain Reaction

Live Free or Ride!

No good Chain Reaction

Just got back from Chain Reaction on Dundas. Took the GF's bike to get it tuned. First off buddy talked to me like I'm some sort of idiot. He tried to push a new stem and seat, they are both brand new, the bike has never been ridden. Then what really got me going was he looked at the bike from like 5 feet away and said it's gonna need a new cable for the front deraileur. At this point I informed him that the bike was brand new and asked him why it would need a new one. He gave me a blank look, at which point I told him to take his tune up and shove it up his arse. Of course this was all in front of other customers who hopefully saw that this place is a joke. never been there before and will never go back. Do not recommend for anyone. It's crap LBS's like this that make me do all the work on my own bike by myself.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

Looking for Adventure
    Ummmm.....that is my local bike shop, and I am friends with Bill and Leslie Greene who are owners. Did you go there on a busy Saturday.....like this past Saturday when people were digging out their bikes for the first time and flocking to their bike shops to do instant fixes??

I think they are normally really good, just don't expect much from any shop when the spring crowds decend on the bike shops on the first nice day of the weekend. Bad planning on your part.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    If the read the OP, you may realize it had nothing to do with being swamped and everything to do with trying to hose a customer.

Bored
    If the bike was brand new, why did it need a tune up already? Did you not consider that the LBS you bought it from may have had a service policy/program?

Maybe the store rep could also see some issues with the bike based on there years of industry experience and could immediately identify some fit issues your girl friend may experience in the future?

Or, maybe it was a tongue and cheek response to why you were bringing in a new bike for a tune up and they quickly identified what kind of client you would be? I'll bet most of the other clients in the store laughed at you on your way out.

Disclaimer: I have no association with this store. I have only been there once on a busy Saturday and was treated exceptionally well when making what really was a small potatoes purchase.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    Or, maybe it was a tongue and cheek response to why you were bringing in a new bike for a tune up and they quickly identified what kind of client you would be? I'll bet most of the other clients in the store laughed at you on your way out.
    Well, I did think those thoughts.....but thought I would be flamed for saying it. I bet the shop boys were wondering what they could do for a customer who purchased a bike from somewhere else, and then brought the bike (still brand new) to their shop. Yup GiantMartin, I think you made yourself look stupid.

mtbr member
    I have found that Chain Reaction is one of the better stores in the GTA. I am really surprised you had that experience.

Live Free or Ride!
    The bike had been dissassembled for shipping purposes, completely.So everything was out of whack. I got everything together the only thing I couldn't do was the gears as this is out of my league. I've been to other LBS's and have received great service from some, and crap from others. I went to CR on a thursday morning. There was only like 4-5 othere ppl in the store and none waiting to use the shop. Bottom line the guy was a prick. I'll never go back and will not recommend the dump to anyone. I took the bike to Bike Zone on Lakeshore. They did the adjustments in less than an hour and were happy for the work. I didn't get any attitude there.

I don't care how busy or swamped the store was. It's a store. Customer service is #1. How come attitude and snottiness is somehow accepted in the LBS world but not any where else in the commercial industry. The store blows.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    Wow...that's all I can say...wow.
    This is exactly what's wrong with the bike industry. A guy comes on here saying a bike shop gave him bad service and everyone jumps on him saying it was HIS fault and basically he was stupid for going in there.
    COME ON!

Whether it was a brand new bike, an old bike or a freaking tricycle, customers should never be treated like idiots. And it was busy? Come on now!
    I go to Home Depot on a somewhat regular basis and I'm sure the questions I ask sometimes would make the employees laugh. But guess what? I'm asking them because I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Yes you have to wait a while for an employee sometimes when they're busy, but when they do arrive they're knowledgable, friendly and will answer any question you ask.

In the bike industry many of the employees know less about bikes than the customers.
    And the idea that he shouldn't have brought the bike in there because it was purchased somewhere else? COME ON! Why are bike shops so stupid? I used to shop at one place in Niagara but I was sick of being looked down on because I brought a bike they didn't sell in there for service. I was still paying my $40 or whatever it was for the work to be done yet I was treated like dirt.

Well I left that shop and now I exclusively deal with Liberty. Why? Because they treat all customers with respect and their employees actually know something.

Whether this shop gave bad service or not is besides the point. This guy feels like he got bad service, which is ALL THAT MATTERS! If I owned the shop and saw this, I'd offer him a free tuneup and tell him to come back in to give the shop another chance!

My 2 cents.

Dan
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

2007 Cannondale Scalpel 1
    2005 Cannondale Rush 1000
    2004 Cannondale Chase

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantMartin
    The bike had been dissassembled for shipping purposes, completely.So everything was out of whack. I got everything together the only thing I couldn't do was the gears as this is out of my league. I've been to other LBS's and have received great service from some, and crap from others. I went to CR on a thursday morning. There was only like 4-5 othere ppl in the store and none waiting to use the shop. Bottom line the guy was a prick. I'll never go back and will not recommend the dump to anyone. I took the bike to Bike Zone on Lakeshore. They did the adjustments in less than an hour and were happy for the work. I didn't get any attitude there.

I don't care how busy or swamped the store was. It's a store. Customer service is #1. How come attitude and snottiness is somehow accepted in the LBS world but not any where else in the commercial industry. The store blows.
    I work at the Bike Zone in Barrie and am glad to hear that you got the service you wanted at our Mississauga store. Customer service is without a doubt the most important thing to provide at a bike store but it is also the most difficult at times. I don't thing anyone at chain Reaction is bad or negligent. I know a lot of the people there and they are good guys, unfortunately you might have got them at a bad time. Anyway I am glad to hear you give us a plug on the forum and hope that you will continue to shop at the store.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Wow...that's all I can say...wow.

Whether this shop gave bad service or not is besides the point. This guy feels like he got bad service, which is ALL THAT MATTERS! If I owned the shop and saw this, I'd offer him a free tuneup and tell him to come back in to give the shop another chance!

+1

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Well I left that shop and now I exclusively deal with Liberty. Why? Because they treat all customers with respect and their employees actually know something.
    Dan
    I take it they must be doing something right, seeing as how they are actually being forced to turn away work at this busy time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by liberty!
    We find ourselves flooded with repair-work due to the abrupt change in season. Consequently, at this time, we can only accept Tune-Ups and major repairs on bicycles which were purchased at Liberty! Bicycles.

http://www.libertybicycles.com/
    Also, in reference to the OP, sometimes basing an opinion about a shop on ONE employee's actions is unfair.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

sru
    mtbr member

Are you kidding me!!

Blaming the customer. Come on!! I'm sure the owners are good people. Good people who hired an idiot. It's not GiantMartin whos made himself look stupid!

I was treated with the same type of attitude at Gears in Mississauga. I walked out and will never return! Down the street I went to The Bike Zone.

Now I drive almost an hour to get my bike tuned at The Bike Zone because I can't get it right and they have always treated me with respect and offer good service at a fair price. I mentioned the store to my buddy, who bought his Blur from them.

It's the consumers choice to make.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Also, in reference to the OP, sometimes basing an opinion about a shop on ONE employee's actions is unfair.
    Actually that is all you can base it on. Should you really go back to a shop if you have a bad experience with an employee? I wouldn't waste my time. There are other bike shops to go to so I would have done the same thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Calling the customer stupid because he brings his business and new bike to your store for help?.....I have never been to chain reaction & now I don't think I ever will. Good bike shops are hard to find IMO I know of two The Bike Zone and Dukes. I am almost clueless when it comes to some adjustments, so I can relate. I brought my bike into dukes when I could not get the adjustment right on the rear disc on a BUSY SATURDAY and not only did the mechanic allign the brake he offered when it was a little slower in the shop to show me how to service it myself. That is how to take care of your customers.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by kaikara
    Should you really go back to a shop if you have a bad experience with an employee?
    Some sales people may come and go, but if it is the same reliable mechanic doing the wrenching year after year, it might be worth sticking with a certain shop. Of course, it is the customers call.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I do not work at Chain Reaction nor am I affiliated, but if a customer told me to shove anything up my arse I would be glad never to see them walk through the door again.

I try to pride myself on customer service, and when time allows (which is not very often in season) I deal thoroughly with any and all queries directed toward myself. It hurts me personally to not be able to give my undivided attention to either the bike that I am working on or the customers at hand, but that is simply how it goes when the employees are outnumbered 3:1.

But really my own opinion or ethics are not relevant here. Regardless of how uninformed or slimy the employee in question may have been, the reaction (no pun intended) of the OP seems to have been far more disproportionate and severe, both in the store and in posting online here, especially if no further effort was made to resolve the issue with CR.

And I would really like to know where everyone does their non-bike related shopping avoiding any sort of bad customer service........have you ever dealt with Bell or Rogers? Slimy furniture or auto salespeople? Banks? Crappy landlords? I seriously refuse to believe that an LBS is the lone bastion of attitude and condescension.

Andrew

Gears, beers and slices..
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    I work at the Bike Zone in Barrie...
    I have to give props to the Bike Zone in Barrie. Definitely one of the better shops I've walked into in the last few years. I do all my own work unless it's really bad or I don't have the tools, so I' picky with shops. The guys are super friendly, know their **** and provide great customer service. That was my initial reaction, and I see the same thing every time I go back. Plus, they've got two built in cool factors:
    1). The really cool dog that hangs out in the service area on occasion and
    2.) The wicked Rat Fink roadster. I want that bike.

To me, if a shop guy has never heard of a part I'm looking to order, or is obviously laying the BS on me then it's a quick 'thank you, but I'll be heading somewhere else for this.' No reason to accept (and pay for) shite customer service from a shop.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Just got back from Chain Reaction on Dundas. Took the GF's bike to get it tuned. First off buddy talked to me like I'm some sort of idiot. He tried to push a new stem and seat, they are both brand new, the bike has never been ridden. Then what really got me going was he looked at the bike from like 5 feet away and said it's gonna need a new cable for the front deraileur. At this point I informed him that the bike was brand new and asked him why it would need a new one. He gave me a blank look, at which point I told him to take his tune up and shove it up his arse. Of course this was all in front of other customers who hopefully saw that this place is a joke. never been there before and will never go back. Do not recommend for anyone. It's crap LBS's like this that make me do all the work on my own bike by myself.
    That's terrible...I e-mailed them the link to this thread to let them know they suck.

Funny though. they're usually pretty good, I guess I'll have to quit the weekly roadie group ride now

http://www.chainreactionbicycles.ca/

Looking for Adventure
    O.K., I admit my posts have been poor half baked ones.....I had a hard time taking this post seriously.

So my last point is this.

If you feel you need to slag a local bike shop, keep in mind these are individuals whose livelihood depends on these shops. Therefore, to post on this site a bad review of a bike shop means something pretty significant and serious must have happened like:

- the shop refused to service you
    - the shop lost or damaged your bike, or your bike came out in worse shape
    - you found missing or swapped out parts on your bike
    - the shop charged you double or more for service
    - the shop sold hot or used goods

As far as I can tell you had a difference of opinion, or did not like the advice of the shop. Oh well, that's life and business. Happens, even with highly praised shops like Dukes. I don't think this gives you the right to lose your temper and post negative reviews for all to read.

Case in point....I also do business with Gears Bike Shop, a shop that has neutral opinions on this board. I have had great experiences with them and poor ones.
    Kevin Wallace, the owner, spent 1.5 hours with me one day sizing me up properly on a road bike that only cost $2400 (inexpensive compared to most of the bikes in his shop). He was focused and intense as though I was a pro. He willingly swapped out stems, bars, and seat posts, and seats to get the right fit.
    On the other hand, they took 2 months to get me a new set of replacement pads for my helmet, and then wanted to sell me a new helmet instead.

Would a slagging post after the helmet pads affair been the right thing to do????

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    I guess I'll have to quit the weekly roadie group ride now

http://www.chainreactionbicycles.ca/

Why????? Are your values that shallow? Do you not enjoy the group rides and find them supportive and a good workout.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Why????? Are your values that shallow? Do you not enjoy the group rides and find them supportive and a good workout.
    I'm somewhat of a expert on sarcasm, and I think that there may have been some in the post you're responding to.

Looking for Adventure
    Thanks coach........I needed it. I am so vain sometimes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Wink Response to Giant Martin

Fellow Pedlars

First, I would like to introduce myself; my name is Bill Greene, co-owner of Chain Reaction Bicycles. I too am an avid cyclist, both road and mountain for almost 25 years.
    For over twenty years we strive to give the best possible service in the GTA., none of us are perfect and I must admit that this is not the first time our name has been burned in effigy. That being said I make no excuses for the way your particular situation was handled, does Giant Martin have the right to be angry...absolutely!
    So I, and buddy would personally like to extend the proverbial "olive branch" to you, Giant Martin, and offer you the red carpet Tune Up, to your specifications...free of charge!...and I'll buy you a coffee at one of the finest Cafe's in the city right next door to us.
    So what do you say Giant Martin? Give us the chance to make it right by you.
    Email me at crbicycles@yahoo.ca or call 416-234-5300

We at Chain Reaction thank all of you for your comments

Keep those pedals turning!

mtbr member

Kudos to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Biker Boyz
    Fellow Pedlars

First, I would like to introduce myself; my name is Bill Greene, co-owner of Chain Reaction Bicycles. I too am an avid cyclist, both road and mountain for almost 25 years.
    For over twenty years we strive to give the best possible service in the GTA., none of us are perfect and I must admit that this is not the first time our name has been burned in effigy. That being said I make no excuses for the way your particular situation was handled, does Giant Martin have the right to be angry...absolutely!
    So I, and buddy would personally like to extend the proverbial "olive branch" to you, Giant Martin, and offer you the red carpet Tune Up, to your specifications...free of charge!...and I'll buy you a coffee at one of the finest Cafe's in the city right next door to us.

Good for you guys. Having spent my entire professional career in a customer service/sales oriented environment, how you deal with a situation is often much more important than how the problem/issue arose to begin with. Hopefully, Giant Martin gives you guys the opportunity to right the situation. If not, perhaps he's a customer that would best be served elsewhere...Best of luck on this one...
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

sock puppet

i respect that... good for you

and the offer is fair..

i dont want nor need to pick sides here... been to CR few times and both bill and leslie are good guys and bikers at the same time... if a wrench tried to treat me the way he APPARENTLY treated GM - i'd have talked to the store manager in no time, rather than discussing the issue with the wrench... wrenches come and go - most of the time, no offense to those that do not...

anyway, harsher than necessary post by GM, fair response from CR... i think GM should go back and support them for that...

just my 2 cents... and, i will continue to support them, for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Biker Boyz
    Fellow Pedlars

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast