Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

CCA to Enforce UCI Rule?

Canadian Cyclist - UCI Tells Federations to Enforce Rules Over Non-Sanctioned Events

What a joke this is. This sounds like the nonsense Frank Shorter, Pre, and Brian Oldfield fought against.

mtbr member
    They can pry my UCI license from my cold, dead hands.

I think the UCI and consequently the CCA and OCA should focus on being the best governing bodies they can be. They should do what they can to work with all organizers, understanding why they may not want/can't be sanctioned and work on correcting these issues where possible. If they are unresolvable, then obviously one segment is providing a service that cannot be met by their guidelines and if they choose to keep it that way, the athletes shouldn't feel the brunt of organizers and organizations being unable to meet on common ground.

They are going to alienate a crap load of people if this does actually come to fruition.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    They can pry my UCI license from my cold, dead hands.

I think the UCI and consequently the CCA and OCA should focus on being the best governing bodies they can be. They should do what they can to work with all organizers, understanding why they may not want/can't be sanctioned and work on correcting these issues where possible. If they are unresolvable, then obviously one segment is providing a service that cannot be met by their guidelines and if they choose to keep it that way, the athletes shouldn't feel the brunt of organizers and organizations being unable to meet on common ground.

They are going to alienate a crap load of people if this does actually come to fruition.
    Already has in the states.

UCI, USA Cycling clarify rule barring UCI-licensed riders from unsanctioned events

Really this is all about control and wanting access to the money. Interesting how there is a huge race scene in Oregon not under UCI sanctioned national body control. Now that it is incredibly successful they want their cut.

As one comment I read a couple of days ago pointed out this whole thing that is now spreading around the world thanks to Pat McQuaid's love note. All this is doing is as you said Capt Sydor creating a divide. And to me if I say I was in charge of this stuff at OCA and wanted to drive away present and future members this is a pretty good way. To me letting guys race at say the HCC Sydenham hill climb while unsanctioned. Well, those racers are the advertising. They are the face of it all and when they can't do that you lose touch of a valuable recruiting tool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Already has in the states.

Really this is all about control and wanting access to the money. Interesting how there is a huge race scene in Oregon not under UCI sanctioned national body control. Now that it is incredibly successful they want their cut.

As one comment I read a couple of days ago pointed out this whole thing that is now spreading around the world thanks to Pat McQuaid's love note. All this is doing is as you said Capt Sydor creating a divide. And to me if I say I was in charge of this stuff at OCA and wanted to drive away present and future members this is a pretty good way. To me letting guys race at say the HCC Sydenham hill climb while unsanctioned. Well, those racers are the advertising. They are the face of it all and when they can't do that you lose touch of a valuable recruiting tool.
    When I say come to fruition, I mean actually happen. Still just threats and interpretation of the language. Haven't heard of any large class of people loosing their license (which if applied across the board and not in some individual cases would have happened by now). Actually the threats happened here 3-4 years ago with the squeezer.

And just for clarification, the HCC hill climbs are sanctioned as we are an affiliated club and you must be a member of the OCA to participate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    it will be interesting to see how it shakes out, the OCA did bluff a few years ago and they got called on it. We'll see if it happens with USAC I read somewhere they did fine riders last year for Teva, but it was only 50 bucks and the riders made way more than that, but with threatened suspensions the USAC upped the ainty(sp?)

US athletes are already bringing up the fact the Canadians will not face any sanctions at the event in question. Which may result in USAC going back to the UCI and demanding they strongarm other NSO's into being consistent across the board. All this could get pushed down to the PSO's as well.

we'll see,

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    ...the USAC upped the ainty(sp?)
    ante

Here's the article about the Teva fines. Funny that they read a Twitter comment then decided to fine them.

Analysis: Is USAC feeding grass roots, or trampling them?

I'm not familiar with how things are structured in the US. Aren't things a little more confusing? It seems to me that there are a lot of big events that the USAC does not have a hand in. It seems to me that the structure is not as cut and dry as it is in Ontario.

Edit: NORBA, I was trying to think of NORBA. Aren't they the overseers of multiple events? How do they factor in?
    Last edited by thedumbopinion; 04-06-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Someone has put forth that there is a possibility that Pat McQuaid and the UCI's instructions will be in violation of the Sherman Act.

Sherman Antitrust Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ups and downs
    It's a bit like an AFM (American Federation of Musicians) member not being able to play a non-union gig or with non-union members or risk sanction or expulsion.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Actually the threats happened here 3-4 years ago with the squeezer.
    That was the OCA. And I believe the OCA had also sent out a note about that at the beginning of a season. However this recent situation has ramifications in Canada thanks to this memo from the desk of Pat "The Weasel" McQuaid.

Pat McQuaid, "Forbidden Races" | News | CyclingDirt

President

To all National Federations

Sent by email only

Aigle, 26 March 2013
    Ref.' Presidency

Re: forbidden races

Dear President,

lt has recently come to our attention that some National Federations are experiencing difficulties in the interpretation and application of the rules relating to "forbidden races", namely Articles 1.2.019l 1.2.020 and 1.2.021 ofthe UCl Regulations.

With this in mind, we would like to provide the following clarification which we hope you will find useful.

Article 12.019 ofthe UCI Regulations states:

"No licence holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental or world calendar or that has not been recognised by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI.

A national federation may grant special exceptions for races or particular events run in its own country. "

The objective of this regulation is to protect the hard Work and resources you pour into the development of your events at national level. lt allows for a federative structure, something which is inherent in organised sport and which is essential to being a part of the Olympic movement.

Of Course the regulation also allows the UCI, in line with its mission as an international federation, to guarantee uniform regulation.

Article 12.019 applies to all licence holders, Without exception. lt does not solely concern professional riders or just the members of UCI teams, contrary to certain statements in the press and on some blogs.

The second paragraph of Article 12.019 affords each national federation the facility to grant a special exception for specific races or events taking place in its territory.

Special races or events are understood to be cycle events which are not registered on the national Calendar of the country's federation or on the UCI international Calendar. This generally Concerns events that are occasional and which do not recur, most often organised by persons or entities who do not belong to the World of organised sport. For example, an event may be organised by an association that does not have a link to the National Federation, such as a race specifically for members of the armed forces, fire fighters or students or perhaps as part of a national multisport event.

With the exception of these special Cases, the National Federation is not permitted to grant an exemption to a Cycle event which is held, deliberately or not, outside the federative movement. For example, in no case should an exception be granted to a Cycling event that is organised by a person or entity who regularly organises Cycling events.

The objective of Article 12.019 is that exemptions should only be granted in exceptional cases.

Licence holders who participate in a "forbidden race" make themselves liable not only to sanctions by their National Federation, as scheduled by Article 12.021 of the UCI regulations, but also run the risk of not having sufficient insurance cover in the event of an accident.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Please accept our kindest regards,

Pat McQuaid
    President

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Now speaking of entering and competing in as Pat McQuaid calles "Forbidden" events. I find this tidbit interesting,

Pat McQuaid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was banned from entering the 1976 Olympics after being caught racing in South Africa, in contravention of the anti-apartheid sporting boycott. He had entered the race using a false name, but was identified after being photographed by a press photographer.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post

I'm not familiar with how things are structured in the US. Aren't things a little more confusing? It seems to me that there are a lot of big events that the USAC does not have a hand in. It seems to me that the structure is not as cut and dry as it is in Ontario.
    I wouldn't say everything here is as cut and dry in Ontario or in Canada in general. Just that here in Ontario we don't have as much of a developed non OCA race scene. But if you go to say places like the Fraser Valley in BC you have thye opposite and same in Whistler. Racing here is primarily been focused on OCUP's and that is only a small area of the province. Brockville has a race scene that has no connection to OCA.

Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post

Edit: NORBA, I was trying to think of NORBA. Aren't they the overseers of multiple events? How do they factor in?
    NORBA used to be a seperate body. But it is now part of USAC so what USAC decries they will have to follow.

mtbr member
    Where the **** are anti-trust laws and regulations when this crap shows up? If this continues, I see no reason for a business (say a grocery store chain) to offer "memberships" for better prices and then penalize you when you go buy something elsewhere.

I cannot even begin to understand why this is tolerated.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Where the **** are anti-trust laws and regulations when this crap shows up? If this continues, I see no reason for a business (say a grocery store chain) to offer "memberships" for better prices and then penalize you when you go buy something elsewhere.

I cannot even begin to understand why this is tolerated.
    Bingo.

Evil Jr.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    UCI can get bent. Strong arm tactics.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Lemmy Rules!
    This makes me want to find the nearest non-UCI event and go and sign up for it
    Strava made me do it....

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    SIX IN THE HOOD

mtbr member

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Graham Fraser's Centurion Cycling event does not require any license. Don't forget those Gan Fondo's as well.

sore member
    The FQSC (Quebec's version of the OCA) handed out suspensions to card carrying members who did the mountain bike leg of the run-bike-kayak Ultimate XC race held at Mont Tremblant back in 2010. Apparently the FQSC approached the organizers about sanctioning/insuring the event under them ($$$), but they were already sanctioned/insured under another organization and declined. The FQSC had someone at the event taking photos of the racers. Suspensions followed.

The Ultimate XC was officially sanctioned by the FQSC the following year, but I guess the organizers found it wasn't worth the extra expense and bother dealing with the federation; AFAIK, mountain biking was dropped from the event.

You can read about it here:

Chroniques de Gilles

Google translate version:

Google Translate

cyberbully
    the fqsc is retarded. at an ocup dh race that was held at camp fortune a few years ago, they insinuated themselves into it just to get some money, they added no value. they did stopwatch timing, but because we were used to Al's fine set up (he didn't make it one time because of a prior engagement), and they knew it because they're seen our operation in the years prior, this year - the first and last they sent out a whole crew of commissiares - they set up photo-eye with wire running to nowhere. they're a f*cking joke. the poor quebec racers that have to put up with that phoney money grubbing bs all the time...

Also I find it silly that some of these 'sports officials' are 200-300 lbers that looks like they never been on a bike (like the ginormous fqsc lady that was head official at CF that year). and then they bore you to tears talking about their 'coaching'`gigs, or the minutia of the no skin rule in dh. seriously there are people out there dumb enough to hire an overweight coach whose canckles look like a pair of necrotized proscuittos' ?
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SkidVicious View Post
    seriously there are people out there dumb enough to hire an overweight coach whose canckles look like a pair of necrotized proscuittos' ?
    While I can appreciate your overall sentiments on the issue, people come in all shapes and sizes and there can be many reasons why. I'm not really cool with your closing statement above.

Evil Jr.
    All sorts of people decide to become race officials. Some are enthusiasts or parents of athletes and others, like me, are people that used to compete but, for whatever reason (mine is an almost complete lack of time to train), are stepping back from racing but want to remain active in the sport.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    It's true that some race officials come across as a little rules bound (even though that is their job), and may not fit the fitness criteria of racers. However, without them, races simply would not happen. They put in a lot of valuable free time to ensure that lots of other people have a good time. No need to hate on them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast