mtbr member

CBC - The National

This evening's National will do as an introduction. My name is Cameron, I am a grad student (urban geography) at U of T and still can't believe that I made it on tv tonight for a whole three seconds. I walked into Sweet Pete's for a new brake arm and found a CBC camera crew doing a story on high oil prices. Skip to minute 3:40 (after the New Brunswick bit) and there I am on the commuter (01 Kona Cindercone) talking with shop manager Owen Gerrald. Crazy.

http://www.cbc.ca/national/latestbroadcast.html

Cam

mtbr member
    Welcome to the forums Cameron!

bi-winning
    Record high oil prices? Oh joy.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Student
    Welcome and congrats on your fame
    [SIZE="3"]The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado[/SIZE]

NormalNorm
    Funny, i was saw this last night and found it interesting about people commuting on bikes. It was said, that the price of bikes are going to go up because of price of oil(they say it cost more to deliver the bikes). Strange......

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by norm
    Funny, i was saw this last night and found it interesting about people commuting on bikes. It was said, that the price of bikes are going to go up because of price of oil(they say it cost more to deliver the bikes). Strange......
    Almost any consumer good needs to be delivered. Delivery requires fuel, which generally requires oil. So, oil goes up, _______ will probably go up too.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

NormalNorm
    I just find it ironic that that the "bicycle" is being promoted as an alternative to the car....but fuel prices are going to drive up the price of a bike.

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Almost any consumer good needs to be delivered. Delivery requires fuel, which generally requires oil. So, oil goes up, _______ will probably go up too.
    As most of the items we import comes from the US, how come we don't see any prices going down due to our strong dollar?

Funny how that works eh?
    It's only pain......

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteve F

Funny how that works eh?
    So funny, I forgot to laugh.

And yes, i see the irony. It was funny how they mentioned the possibility of increasing bike prices. It came off as, "instead of driving, you can ride your bike, but those are expensive too, so basically, you are f***ed"

Shorthills Cycling Club

almost there!

So what the bike shops should be saying...

Is "Buy your bike now before the price of oil (and therefore bicycles) goes up!"

Live Free or Ride!
    Any retailer will use any excuse to raise prices. Example : oil prices go up, gas stations jack their prices, but if they drop they say it takes weeks to trickle down to the consumer. As for for bikes being more expensive because of oil prices......what a crock of s**t. Transportation costs have dropped over the last 10 years due to high competition. Retailers will feed people any reason just to make a sale. No wonder there is no loyalty.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0