Evil Jr.

CBC Documentary: Pedal Power

So last night, Mrs. Monster and I were canning tomatoes and we flipped across to Doc Zone on CBC to give us something to listen to while chopping and stirring. They had a most interesting (yet sometimes cringe-inducing) film on called Pedal Power about urban cycling in Canada. It also includes a lot of stuff on Igor Kenk.

You can actually watch the whole thing online HERE.

Did any one else watch it? Thoughts?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster

So last night, Mrs. Monster and I were canning tomatoes and we flipped across to Doc Zone on CBC to give us something to listen to while chopping and stirring. They had a most interesting (yet sometimes cringe-inducing) film on called Pedal Power about urban cycling in Canada. It also includes a lot of stuff on Igor Kenk.

You can actually watch the whole thing online HERE.

What's your process for the tomatoes? My garden has done very well, I can only eat so many blt's in a day and need to do something with all of them.

Evil Jr.
    Garage Monster's Super Simple Tomato Sauce

Ingredients:

1 bushel Roma tomatoes
    salt
    lemon juice

The Skinny:

1. Rinse tomatoes.

2. Remove yucky bits.

3. Cut tomatoes into eighths.

4. Dump into large pot on medium heat. (One bushel should fit in four large pots.)

5. Cook and stir until reduced by half.

6. Run everything through food mill with fine screen. (Discard the junk.)

7. Add salt and lemon juice to jars.

8. Can.

9. Enjoy!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Steady Creepin'
    Hey, me and my spouse were making various pickles last night, maybe we're not so lame after all!? I made an experimental jar of garlic-ginger-orange pickled edamame, will have to wait a week or so to test it's success..

Evil Jr.
    Well, that does sound interesting! Let us know how that works out. We've been making fresh cucumber pickles for the last month or so. They just keep coming and coming!

Pickles rule!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Our plot of patio was planted late this year, tomato plants are HUGE, but not much progress on the tomatoes yet.

The lettuce has been amazing for a month or more, the first cucumber was had earlier in the week.

Not sure what the canning plans are this year. We do a whole bunch of jams, last year was the jackpot with a trip to the far far far east of Quebec and we got a bounty of berries.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LuMach
    Hey, me and my spouse were making various pickles last night, maybe we're not so lame after all!? I made an experimental jar of garlic-ginger-orange pickled edamame, will have to wait a week or so to test it's success..
    That sounds amazing! Possibly even better than the sweet pickled garlic my wife made a few years ago (and that was GOOD).

FeelIng Cranky!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulz
    What's your process for the tomatoes? My garden has done very well, I can only eat so many blt's in a day and need to do something with all of them.

make Salsa! SUPER easy and WAY better than store bought!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Bernardin (purveyor of home canning products) has excellent recipes. I actually have their canning guide, which I pull out from time to time. Never bother with the pressure canning though.

Kidding myself...
    Since this has evolved into somewhat of a foodie thread and our sweet basil has grown completely out of control this year, I have been making lots of pesto.

Anarawd Family Ultimate (Super Easy) Pesto Recipe

4 cups fresh basil leaves - packed
    1 cup virgin olive oil (get the good stuff)
    1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
    1 tsp freshly ground peppercorns
    1/4 tsp salt (optional)
    3 tsp organic honey (secret ingredient!)
    5 - 6 cloves garlic (depending on size)
    6 tbsp pine nuts

Combine all ingredients except basil leaves in food processor. While processing, add approx. 1 cup of basil leaves at a time until desired consistency has been achieved. If pesto seems a little too pasty, gradually add a small amount of water while blending.

When served over pasta, feeds 8 hungry riders!

Makes a great condiment on garden fresh tomato and sour dough sandwiches, BBQed burgers, you name it!

Pesto will keep well for up to a week if refrigerated and stored in an air tight, preferrably vacuum sealed container. When exposed to air, pesto will darken on the surface and start to lose its flavour. I'm told it freezes well for up to a month too.
    "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by anarawd
    Pesto will keep well for up to a week if refrigerated and stored in an air tight, preferrably vacuum sealed container. When exposed to air, pesto will darken on the surface and start to lose its flavour. I'm told it freezes well for up to a month too.
    We put it in ice cube trays, freeze it, then keep the pesto cubes in a freezer bag ready to go. We do the same thing with coriander leaves (cilantro). I imagine any other herb would do similarly well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    Our plot of patio was planted late this year, tomato plants are HUGE, but not much progress on the tomatoes yet.

The lettuce has been amazing for a month or more, the first cucumber was had earlier in the week.

Not sure what the canning plans are this year. We do a whole bunch of jams, last year was the jackpot with a trip to the far far far east of Quebec and we got a bounty of berries.
    Same here, plants are the biggest I've ever seen and lots of tomato's but none ripe yet. Then I have to fight off the dogs once they start to ripen. I swear they go into the toamto's every day to check on them!
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Oops...sorry...I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere...could any of you direct me to the MTB forum?
    Always remember - You are unique, just like everyone else.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by h.eye
    Oops...sorry...I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere...could any of you direct me to the MTB forum?
    Here it is. --------> LINK
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Kidding myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    I just finished watching Pedal Power. My thoughts? I only wish urban cycling could be as mainstream as it is in Europe. My take on the cycling advocacy fringe in North America is just that; it's a fringe. As much as I appreciate and support the efforts of groups like Critical Mass, I feel that the oft perceived freakish ways they present themselves only serves to keep them on that fringe thus remaining discredited as misfits and malcontents whose only aim is to stir up middle class values. I wish the desire to become an eco and bicycle friendly society was a more mainstream, dare I say, middle class value! Igor Kenk? That's another story! This doc could have easily been made without mentioning his name!

Did anyone notice the bike that sometimes had the rear derailleur on the left and other times on the right?
    "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by anarawd
    Did anyone notice the bike that sometimes had the rear derailleur on the left and other times on the right?
    I spotted it too, drove me nuts. Good watch though, I enjoyed it.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike