carbon fiber and jupiter close to earth

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  singlesprocket 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
Does Shimano make good components?

garage monster said:
I take it SS didn't work out after all? :confused:

Nice build all the same. At the rate you've been going through rear derailleurs, probably smart to stick with XT. Major bling! :thumbsup:
This year I finally switched to a shadow style XT derailleur, after many years of traditional LX doohickeys. I'm only a few years behind eh? None the lesss, I have been happy with it. It does not smash my frame like my old LX did, eliminates a fat loop housing, and it notably reduces the risk of bending your derailleur hanger. It shifts without hesitation. I would recommend it to a friend.

Definitely a nice build on that Nomad.

#7 ·
garage monster said:
I take it SS didn't work out after all? :confused:

Nice build all the same. At the rate you've been going through rear derailleurs, probably smart to stick with XT. Major bling! :thumbsup:
the singlespeed is still in the works, though i decided to do it to the al nomad frame
that i have been using as a dh light ride. the bomber 66 fork blew last weekend so i stripped the frame and will do a rebuild for 2011. perhaps a fox 180mm or totem.
gearing will be around 14/16-36

#9 ·
Well now you've made me all curious. I personally don't see anything out of place.SS may have perfectly valid reasons for every nut and bolt.

I might be committing a faux pas on any number of my bikes as we speak! :eek:

#10 ·
garage monster said:
Well now you've made me all curious. I personally don't see anything out of place.SS may have perfectly valid reasons for every nut and bolt.

I might be committing a faux pas on any number of my bikes as we speak! :eek:
Stem not matching the bar. Can't see the seatpost but willing to bet it's a third brand.

Mix of XTR and XT. If plonking down cash for XTR bite the bullet and go shifters and both mechs.

Matching the black Chris King to I9s. If going for a King headset (inferior product without the split ring) it had better be for colour reasons or to match with a set of King hubs. The Cane Creek is hands down best headset if you want a black one.

It's the fine details. Not a single thing wrong with any single part on the bike, but just like a custom suit from a Savile Row tailor it's the finest of details that set it apart and make the whole thing look more dialed.

Will it ride any different? Nope, but it won't look like a mash-up of parts. As I said that would be a fashion critique on the bike, a true nerding at the geekery of a custom build.

As much as I hate the fixie scene I have to give them credit for some dialed looking bikes. Not the goofy ones but some of the more subtle builds. I think very few mtb bikes actually look great. Usually they end up looking very Nascar.

My own bike is a horrible mess of mixed up parts, but I am willing to bet I have less invested in it than a set of I9 wheels.

#11 ·
Bar/stem/post I can totally understand if you know exactly what sweep/bend/rise/offset you want and the only way to get there is mixing and matching. XT/XTR I get because he's going through rear D's like nobody's business.

In my style book, the headset has to match the seat collar but not necessarily the wheels. However, I'm awarding bonus points for matching the grip clamps to the I9s.

Don't forget that many Saville Row bespoke suits come with unbelievably tacky liners (like paisley). How does that fit into the critique? Novelty saddle? :D

#12 ·
garage monster said:
Don't forget that many Saville Row bespoke suits come with unbelievably tacky liners (like paisley). How does that fit into the critique? Novelty saddle? :D
Velocity does make Buffalo Plaid patterned rims. But they would be more like wearing a mackinaw plaid hunting jacket.

The tacky paisley liners might be accounted for with colourful chain rings hidden behind a nice bash ring.

#17 ·
shirk said:
Easy fix, match the stem and seat post, then match the bar to something else. RaceFace Sicx bar and crank combo would be one option.

Don't even get me started on what it would take to build a bike with ZERO logo's on anything.
that is currently how i do it. thomson stem and seatpost on both bikes, atlas cranks and bars on one and that's how it's done.

#18 ·
Matchy-matchy is one thing but if you're really into say Ti bars and carbon seatposts, good luck! ;)

Sotto Voce is an odd bird. A barely-there logo kinda defeats the purpose of buying something that's wrapped in the logo in the first place. I wonder how sales for that line compare to the regular stuff. :confused:

#19 ·
garage monster said:
Matchy-matchy is one thing but if you're really into say Ti bars and carbon seatposts, good luck! ;)

Sotto Voce is an odd bird. A barely-there logo kinda defeats the purpose of buying something that's wrapped in the logo in the first place. I wonder how sales for that line compare to the regular stuff. :confused:
some want king without the king flash, i guess. i have one of each and i actually prefer the sotto voce. everyone knows it's a king, anyway.

#20 ·
i would prefer all one color no logos... but in the real world supporting your local lbs is important to me. i choose what works for my type of riding. color is always a second choice to part availability and a fair price.

#21 ·
The point of that liner is that only you and your tailor know it is there (provided that you don't walk around wearing your jacket inside-out, as depicted).

The bespoke bike part equivalent of that liner is full Boca ceramic bearings. And not telling anyone that you have them. Second place goes to ti bolts everywhere.

garage monster said:
I think that works as long as both chainrings are different colours. :D

For anyone not quite following along, this is one of the most stylish liners money can buy right now:

#22 ·
I've been told if a guy wears a hat that matches his suit he goes the other way.....not that there's anything wrong with that...
I like Chromag bars but not there stems or seats, Raceface is OK but I liked it better when it was Canadian. I match front and back rims does that count? and any color of black just like Henry used to.

Nice looking bike SS I like it just as it is

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.