Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*

Listen! Canal Days Mountain Bike Race

[SIZE="5"]EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION DEAL ENDS JUNE 15th.[/SIZE]

Last edited by PUBCRAWL; 06-04-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: name change

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

bi-winning
    2 hours for an "expert" to race 30km? Sounds like this could be fun.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    2 hours for an "expert" to race 30km? Sounds like this could be fun.
    Hey Ryan,

Expert Wave will be doing at least three laps on the course and will be the last to finish the race. This is our best guess right now for time.
    I'm sure some riders will be able to pull off faster times but we shall see...

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

All my faucets is Moen.
    I’d imagine that the times will be faster once the trails become ‘race ready’ but the course is technical and physically demanding. This is not an “O Cup course”. I wouldn’t expect a lot of wide open sections for sprinting. Ryan you should get down there and check them out, good times.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion
    I’d imagine that the times will be faster once the trails become ‘race ready’ but the course is technical and physically demanding. This is not an “O Cup course”. I wouldn’t expect a lot of wide open sections for sprinting. Ryan you should get down there and check them out, good times.
    I've been wanting to for a while, but I can't get there for a 6:00 group ride, and races seem to cancel out most Sundays - my only day off.

One of these weekends, it's bound to work out.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Sir Hurt Locker
    Is the race course posted somewhere? Would love to check it out
    Cheers,

Seb

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_Tires
    Is the race course posted somewhere? Would love to check it out
    No, not yet.

Hunter S. Thompson

bi-winning
    BUMP!

Just a couple days before the price goes up.

I think I'll be riding "The Hood" for the first time tomorrow at 9am.

Shorthills Cycling Club

dirt roadie
    Even though I know that the early registration is to show that there is interest, it is a little too early. Most likely I will participate in the race but I want to make sure I don't have anything that will preempt it. I have to scope out those trails a bit more, I went early in the year on a Trail Hogs ride and they were very tight.

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    BUMP!

Just a couple days before the price goes up.

I think I'll be riding "The Hood" for the first time tomorrow at 9am.
    Have a fun time in there today!!

bi-winning
    I did have a good time today. We had a nice Sunday morning ride. These trails are quite different from most in the area. It's almost hard to describe. Most of them are very new, and you can tell by how tightly the plant growth hugs the trail. We rode at a comfy pace, and I have a hard time imagining what racing the trails would be like. Many of the trails require a little care to get through smoothly. It's not the type of trail where you bust out your strong roadie legs and hammer for an hour or two. I did not come across any major climbs.

I had my camera, but I did not stop to take pictures in the fun sections. I think I did find out where the term "The HOOD" comes from though.

Last edited by rkj__; 06-14-2009 at 01:48 PM.

Shorthills Cycling Club

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    I did have a good time today. We had a nice Sunday morning ride. These trails are quite different from most in the area. It's almost hard to describe. Most of them are very new, and you can tell by how tightly the plant growth hugs the trail. We rode at a comfy pace, and I have a hard time imagining what racing the trails would be like. Many of the trails require a little care to get through smoothly. It's not the type of trail where you bust out your strong roadie legs and hammer for an hour or two. I did not come across any major climbs.

I had my camera, but I did not stop to take pictures in the fun sections. I think I did find out where the term "The HOOD" comes from though.

Hey Ryan,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your "Hood" experience.
    The trails still have a little bit of work to be done on them before they are race ready.
    The tough thing right now is keeping up with the plant/weed growth out there.

We have a few more trails to build before the race if time allows.
    Still lots of room for future expansion in there.

By the looks of the pictures you must have rode that crappy motorcycle trail on the East of the Canal as well.

Hunter S. Thompson

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    Hey Ryan,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your "Hood" experience.
    The trails still have a little bit of work to be done on them before they are race ready.
    The tough thing right now is keeping up with the plant/weed growth out there.

We have a few more trails to build before the race if time allows.
    Still lots of room for future expansion in there.

By the looks of the pictures you must have rode that crappy motorcycle trail on the East of the Canal as well.
    Yup, I fully expect that the trails will be a little different by the time the race comes around. Currently, it looks like the plants are trying really hard to protest some of the new trail. As long as the race loop can put together a good balance of singletrack and passing opportunities, it should be really fun. All of the little log piles and wooden bridges are quite enjoyable. Even if the plants prove difficult to control, clearing them shortly before the race will allow the trails to leave a favourable impression on the first timers and non-locals.

ps, I enjoyed the crappy motorcycle trail.
    Last edited by rkj__; 07-04-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Shorthills Cycling Club

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    It's coming up soon peeps! Tell all your friends!! Tell the whole bunch!!

Happy Mojo Rider
    That looks like a cool race, I really can't say that 30 Km of solid single track wouldn't be a bad thing. The pain of the L2L has gone away and I'm seriously considering this race. Has anyone done it before? What should I expect.
    Ted

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieTed
    That looks like a cool race, I really can't say that 30 Km of solid single track wouldn't be a bad thing. The pain of the L2L has gone away and I'm seriously considering this race. Has anyone done it before? What should I expect.
    Ted
    Nobody has done the race before. This is the first edition.

However, earlier this week I went out with some members of the SHCC and rode around on the race course. The trails are continually improving, and are really enjoyable. Some of the areas that were overgrown the last time I rode the trails are now cleared nicely. I love the technical nature of the trails. There are some rocky bits, some rooty bits, and some twisty bits. Much of the trail makes you work pretty hard to keep your speed up. It does open up to some double track too, so there will be passing opportunities. There is also some smooth singletrack which flows nicely, and allows you to pick things up.

The fees are reasonable too.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Any chance to pre ride ?
    Is it possible to register on race day?

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by want to ride
    Any chance to pre ride ?
    Is it possible to register on race day?
    No day of registration, sorry.

Also there is no "official" pre-ride.
    The Technical Course has been marked out with course arrows and we do unofficial ride each week.
    Go to the ShortHills Cycling Club forum, sign up, check the rides forum and come out for a ride like Ryan did.

REGISTER FOR THE RACE HERE

Hunter S. Thompson

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieTed
    What should I expect.
    Ted
    You can expect some sweet trails and technical riding on trails very few have had the pleasure of riding yet.

Experts will be 30+km (doing three laps), Sport 20+km (two laps), Beginner 10+km (1 lap). There is also a 10 and under children's race.

Sign up BEFORE the 15th of July and you get an event tee shirt and a meal ticket for lunch with your registration.
    The City of Port Colborne has also made the local swimming pool's Showers available for all racers to have a post race shower/clean up so you can check out the rest of the events Canal Days has to offer.

Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=PUBCRAWL]No day of registration, sorry.

Also there is no "official" pre-ride.
    The Technical Course has been marked out with course arrows and we do unofficial ride each week.
    Go to the ShortHills Cycling Club forum, sign up, check the rides forum and come out for a ride like Ryan did.

Thanks I'll do that.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    [size=14]Canal Days Mountain Bike Race[/size]
    July 15th is the last day to register and receive an event tee shirt included with your entry fee.
    Race registration closes July 31st and there is no day of registration for adult races.
    [size=14]THE CDMBR[/size]

Hunter S. Thompson

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*

Race Route Pre-Ride

Okay, time for another race pre-ride.
    July 15th at 6:15pm at The Smokin' Buddha in Port Colborne.

We will be offering race registration as well as a discounted registration price for the evening.

So come on out, ride the course, sign up for the race and share a beer and grub at the Buddha.
    This will be your last chance to register to receive an event tee shirt included with your registration fee.

THIS WEDNESDAY... BUDDHA @ 6:15pm.

Hunter S. Thompson

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Hope everyone had a great time out tonight! What a great turnout!

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    WOW... what a great showing for the CDMBR pre-ride last night.
    We had over 70 people come out to enjoys the NEW trails in Port Colborne.

Hunter S. Thompson

bi-winning
    There is another pre-ride this Sunday - for those of you who can't make it out in the middle of the week. See http://shorthillbillys.com/forum/vie...707f0b80774f78 for details.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast