*R*O*W*Y*C*O*

Listen! Canal Days Mountain Bike Race

EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION DEAL ENDS JUNE 15th.

Last edited by PUBCRAWL; 06-04-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: name change

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

bi-winning
    2 hours for an "expert" to race 30km? Sounds like this could be fun.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    2 hours for an "expert" to race 30km? Sounds like this could be fun.
    Hey Ryan,

Expert Wave will be doing at least three laps on the course and will be the last to finish the race. This is our best guess right now for time.
    I'm sure some riders will be able to pull off faster times but we shall see...

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

All my faucets is Moen.
    I’d imagine that the times will be faster once the trails become ‘race ready’ but the course is technical and physically demanding. This is not an “O Cup course”. I wouldn’t expect a lot of wide open sections for sprinting. Ryan you should get down there and check them out, good times.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion
    I’d imagine that the times will be faster once the trails become ‘race ready’ but the course is technical and physically demanding. This is not an “O Cup course”. I wouldn’t expect a lot of wide open sections for sprinting. Ryan you should get down there and check them out, good times.
    I've been wanting to for a while, but I can't get there for a 6:00 group ride, and races seem to cancel out most Sundays - my only day off.

One of these weekends, it's bound to work out.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Sir Hurt Locker
    Is the race course posted somewhere? Would love to check it out
    Cheers,

Seb

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_Tires
    Is the race course posted somewhere? Would love to check it out
    No, not yet.

Hunter S. Thompson

bi-winning
    BUMP!

Just a couple days before the price goes up.

I think I'll be riding "The Hood" for the first time tomorrow at 9am.

dirt roadie
    Even though I know that the early registration is to show that there is interest, it is a little too early. Most likely I will participate in the race but I want to make sure I don't have anything that will preempt it. I have to scope out those trails a bit more, I went early in the year on a Trail Hogs ride and they were very tight.

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    BUMP!

Just a couple days before the price goes up.

I think I'll be riding "The Hood" for the first time tomorrow at 9am.
    Have a fun time in there today!!

bi-winning
    I did have a good time today. We had a nice Sunday morning ride. These trails are quite different from most in the area. It's almost hard to describe. Most of them are very new, and you can tell by how tightly the plant growth hugs the trail. We rode at a comfy pace, and I have a hard time imagining what racing the trails would be like. Many of the trails require a little care to get through smoothly. It's not the type of trail where you bust out your strong roadie legs and hammer for an hour or two. I did not come across any major climbs.

I had my camera, but I did not stop to take pictures in the fun sections. I think I did find out where the term "The HOOD" comes from though.

Last edited by rkj__; 06-14-2009 at 02:48 PM.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    I did have a good time today. We had a nice Sunday morning ride. These trails are quite different from most in the area. It's almost hard to describe. Most of them are very new, and you can tell by how tightly the plant growth hugs the trail. We rode at a comfy pace, and I have a hard time imagining what racing the trails would be like. Many of the trails require a little care to get through smoothly. It's not the type of trail where you bust out your strong roadie legs and hammer for an hour or two. I did not come across any major climbs.

I had my camera, but I did not stop to take pictures in the fun sections. I think I did find out where the term "The HOOD" comes from though.

Hey Ryan,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your "Hood" experience.
    The trails still have a little bit of work to be done on them before they are race ready.
    The tough thing right now is keeping up with the plant/weed growth out there.

We have a few more trails to build before the race if time allows.
    Still lots of room for future expansion in there.

By the looks of the pictures you must have rode that crappy motorcycle trail on the East of the Canal as well.

Hunter S. Thompson

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    Hey Ryan,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your "Hood" experience.
    The trails still have a little bit of work to be done on them before they are race ready.
    The tough thing right now is keeping up with the plant/weed growth out there.

We have a few more trails to build before the race if time allows.
    Still lots of room for future expansion in there.

By the looks of the pictures you must have rode that crappy motorcycle trail on the East of the Canal as well.
    Yup, I fully expect that the trails will be a little different by the time the race comes around. Currently, it looks like the plants are trying really hard to protest some of the new trail. As long as the race loop can put together a good balance of singletrack and passing opportunities, it should be really fun. All of the little log piles and wooden bridges are quite enjoyable. Even if the plants prove difficult to control, clearing them shortly before the race will allow the trails to leave a favourable impression on the first timers and non-locals.

ps, I enjoyed the crappy motorcycle trail.
    Last edited by rkj__; 07-04-2009 at 05:39 PM.

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    It's coming up soon peeps! Tell all your friends!! Tell the whole bunch!!

Happy Mojo Rider
    That looks like a cool race, I really can't say that 30 Km of solid single track wouldn't be a bad thing. The pain of the L2L has gone away and I'm seriously considering this race. Has anyone done it before? What should I expect.
    Ted

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieTed
    That looks like a cool race, I really can't say that 30 Km of solid single track wouldn't be a bad thing. The pain of the L2L has gone away and I'm seriously considering this race. Has anyone done it before? What should I expect.
    Ted
    Nobody has done the race before. This is the first edition.

However, earlier this week I went out with some members of the SHCC and rode around on the race course. The trails are continually improving, and are really enjoyable. Some of the areas that were overgrown the last time I rode the trails are now cleared nicely. I love the technical nature of the trails. There are some rocky bits, some rooty bits, and some twisty bits. Much of the trail makes you work pretty hard to keep your speed up. It does open up to some double track too, so there will be passing opportunities. There is also some smooth singletrack which flows nicely, and allows you to pick things up.

The fees are reasonable too.

mtbr member
    Any chance to pre ride ?
    Is it possible to register on race day?

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by want to ride
    Any chance to pre ride ?
    Is it possible to register on race day?
    No day of registration, sorry.

Also there is no "official" pre-ride.
    The Technical Course has been marked out with course arrows and we do unofficial ride each week.
    Go to the ShortHills Cycling Club forum, sign up, check the rides forum and come out for a ride like Ryan did.

REGISTER FOR THE RACE HERE

Hunter S. Thompson

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieTed
    What should I expect.
    Ted
    You can expect some sweet trails and technical riding on trails very few have had the pleasure of riding yet.

Experts will be 30+km (doing three laps), Sport 20+km (two laps), Beginner 10+km (1 lap). There is also a 10 and under children's race.

Sign up BEFORE the 15th of July and you get an event tee shirt and a meal ticket for lunch with your registration.
    The City of Port Colborne has also made the local swimming pool's Showers available for all racers to have a post race shower/clean up so you can check out the rest of the events Canal Days has to offer.

Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=PUBCRAWL]No day of registration, sorry.

Also there is no "official" pre-ride.
    The Technical Course has been marked out with course arrows and we do unofficial ride each week.
    Go to the ShortHills Cycling Club forum, sign up, check the rides forum and come out for a ride like Ryan did.

Thanks I'll do that.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Canal Days Mountain Bike Race
    July 15th is the last day to register and receive an event tee shirt included with your entry fee.
    Race registration closes July 31st and there is no day of registration for adult races.
    THE CDMBR

Hunter S. Thompson

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*

Race Route Pre-Ride

Okay, time for another race pre-ride.
    July 15th at 6:15pm at The Smokin' Buddha in Port Colborne.

We will be offering race registration as well as a discounted registration price for the evening.

So come on out, ride the course, sign up for the race and share a beer and grub at the Buddha.
    This will be your last chance to register to receive an event tee shirt included with your registration fee.

THIS WEDNESDAY... BUDDHA @ 6:15pm.

Hunter S. Thompson

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Hope everyone had a great time out tonight! What a great turnout!

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    WOW... what a great showing for the CDMBR pre-ride last night.
    We had over 70 people come out to enjoys the NEW trails in Port Colborne.

Hunter S. Thompson

bi-winning
    There is another pre-ride this Sunday - for those of you who can't make it out in the middle of the week. See http://shorthillbillys.com/forum/vie...707f0b80774f78 for details.

bi-winning
    This morning's pre-ride was excellent. We started out the day slow, but a couple of us finished off the day with a lap of the technical course at race pace. It was pretty awesome.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    CDMBR course has been mapped with GPS now.
    Here's the Google Map Link

Hunter S. Thompson

Single speed

Cool Trails for the race!

Hey All,
    I just got back from the trails out in Port Colbourne.

There's some pretty cool trails ready to hold the race on.

Lots of tech!
    Some good flow sections!
    and a few sections to boot!

Canal Days MTB Race is gonna be a great one!

I need a few Single Speeders to sign up too. Maybe we can even get a separate class.

See ya there this sunday.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Last chance to sign up.
    ALL registration closes at noon today.

The course is fantasic and it's going to be a great race.

Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Man I SOOO wish I could do this race. Unfortunately I just can't because of another Sunday morning committment. Unless of course the sport race starts at 8am, in which case I'm in!! HA HA

Good luck to everyone. I'm jealous!
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

2007 Cannondale Scalpel 1
    2005 Cannondale Rush 1000
    2004 Cannondale Chase

All my faucets is Moen.
    Sport Dan? Anyone with a full skeleton race kit is definitely Expert.

Too bad you can't be there, its going to be a great time. Everyone who comes and rides these trails is lovin' the challenge.

I can't wait for Sunday, SUNday, SUNDAY.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Man I SOOO wish I could do this race. Unfortunately I just can't because of another Sunday morning committment. Unless of course the sport race starts at 8am, in which case I'm in!! HA HA

Good luck to everyone. I'm jealous!
    Yes, it would have been nice if you could have supported this local race.
    I know many in the SHCC supported the one that you tried to have.

Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Trust me man. I feel extremely bad about not being able to support it, but it's out of my control.

Can I at least support it by giving you guys some prizes to give away?

Let me know where and I can drop some off today!!
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

2007 Cannondale Scalpel 1
    2005 Cannondale Rush 1000
    2004 Cannondale Chase

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    GOOD LUCK TOMORROW EVERYONE!!!!!! I am so excited, and I just can't hide it!!!

bi-winning
    To all of you forum members who were not at this race, I'm not sure why you did not come. Did you have other commitments? Was the venue too far away? Were you apprehensive about doing a new race? Did the weather scare you? Are you a roadie who prefers faster, smoother trails?

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you missed the best race of the year.

Yeah, sure, it was raining as I was putting my bike in the car in the morning. Yeah, it was pouring as I was driving to Port Colborne, but the rain had mostly subsided by the time I got to the venue. It was easy to find.

In your kit, you got your typical meal ticket, number plate, and a killer t-shirt. I recognized many faces, and this race had a great local vibe. It was easy to get from the parking to race start and finish.

What most of us were there for was not the killer t-shirt, but rather to race our knobbie tired bicycles. At the start line, I was able to quickly identify the contenders in the expert race. First, Tom. Talented technically, and very experienced, but still young. Next, Steve. Also an experienced rider. Justin: a strong young rider. AJ: does not appear to be the typical XC racer, but is very skilled, and is no slouch. Myself: not a great sprinter, not a great climber, but a lover of technical courses.

No out of towners caught my eye. Most of the crowd was local, but the turnout was not bad. I was partly hoping to see the race draw in a few more non-locals, considering all of the advertising that was done at other races. It's ok though. I liked the local vibe, and it left the door open for myself to obtain a decent finishing spot.

Anyway, when the race started, me, Tom, and Steve got off to a great start. Quick, but very reasonable. I don't think any of us were at 100% effort. I wanted to enter the singletrack behind Tom, so I pulled ahead of Steve.

The first section of singletrack was VERY slick. Greasy, slippery like ice. Much care was required. I kept Tom in sight for a little, but he proved to be a more skilled rider, and opened up a gap, which continued to grow slowly. So, then it was me and Steve. I continued to lead for a while. I knew I could not catch Tom, and Steve did not seem eager to get around me, so we both continued to ride at a safe pace.

Beyond that first section of trail, the course was actually in excellent shape. And, even on the second lap, it had gotten much more tacky. Sweet. The course was rough no doubt. It made you work hard to keep your speed. It worked to ware you whole body down, not just those legs. You can do hill repeats till you puke, but if you can't navigate a rock garden, or float over a small log pile, or keep momentum in a choppy section, you might end up kissing the dirt a couple times. There is very little climbing. Just a few short punchy ones, some of which were a little loose, which makes them as much of a technical challenge as a physical one. But, fear not, the tough sections of trail were separated nicely by doubletrack, and even very short paved sections, one of them into a nice headwind.

Anyway, as I was leading Steve around, I got a little mud in my eye, which caused me to go a little wide on a turn, and Steve happily took the opportunity to pass me. He raised the pace above the one I had been setting. It was obvious his legs were still feeling great. Again, I kept him in my sights, but he slowly pulled away, out of my sight.

So, that left me comfortably in third. I was getting time splits from spectators, and I could not see anybody behind me. So, I continued on my way, trying to stay out of trouble. However, the trail was just looking so good, so I just had to get up close and personal with it. I found a nice short downhill with some bumps, which served as a perfect spot for a nice little over-the-bars / tuck and roll episode.

I was so into the race though, I just picked up my bike, and hopped on. I did not check it for damage. If there was a problem, I would find out about it while riding. I did not check myself for blood. I did not feel much pain, so I just continued on, trying to hold onto the last podium spot.

On the third lap, the expert leaders started running into some of those who were in the sport or beginner categories. All of the riders were polite, and most were very accommodating. However, it is inevitable that a small bit of patience is required in these situations. This fact, combined with AJ working hard to close the gap to third, allowed him to catch up to me.

Uh oh. Things just got interesting. On the muddy section of doubletrack, I slipped into fourth place for a moment. I was not at all happy about that, so quickly pulled ahead again. Oh baby, this is racing. I've got something to race for now. I worked hard to hold onto my third place spot, constantly glancing behind me to see how I was doing.

Fortunately, I was able to hold onto my spot, and finish third overall.

x11

Of course, I have to say a huge thank you to all of the hard working volunteers and members of the Shorthills Cycling Club who made this race possible. So much hard work and dedication was put into not only running the race, but building the fantastic trails that they were held on.

Thank you so much. I had a great time.

Also, thank you to all of the sponsors who hooked us up with some sweet prizes. Two bikes, gift certificates, Schwalbe tires, Ryders eyeware, wine tastings, and so much more.

I hope this race continues to be a part of the Canal Days festivities in years to come, and the trails continue to grow the sport of mountain biking in Southern Niagara and the surrounding area. They serve as a great challenge or skill development opportunity for many riders.

Conclusion:

Single speed

Single Speed friendly course.

That was an awesome race!
    The organizers deserve a prize for putting on such a great day of racing.

Great ride and report rkj___

It was a great course for SS. And the big hoops help smooth out all the tech trails.

Prior to this race, I was gonna treat it like it was just another ride. And a funny thing happened! I found myself stuck in a race in the top 10. Most likely due to the fact that only some of the local niagara and area riders made the trek to Port Colbourne. And I was having soo much fun on those trails.

Spinning my butt off down the start road I was just trying to grab a draft and try to survive the day. Up the 1st climb off the road I took the smooth line outside to the right and passed about 6 guys, who just passed me on the flat.

I was able to grab the wheels of some wicked fast guys who were passing me. And at the same time helping me to gap the rest of the field. I had no idea what place I was in until we came out of the trail going down to end the 1st lap. 8th place I think it was.

There was many times throughout the race where I felt like it was just me and my cowbell out for a hard Sunday ride. The benefits of riding with a bar mounted cowbell were obvious before this race. Now the drawbacks were evident. When you are on the wheel of a fast rider there is no wondering for them if they are getting away from you. It makes them go faster if they have anything left in the tanks.
    Some of the single track in there was real sweet and that's where I excelled. I would get dropped on the flats and close the gap in the trails.

The trail conditions got better as the day went on. The course was cool because there were many times you could see fellow racers going in the opposite directions. And you could cheer them on.

All day long I was able to keep the power on the pedals and the 2nd place in the over 35 cat.resulted from all that grinding. In the end 7th place overall is a great result for me, considering that, aside from the last 8 hour relay I have only been logging base mileage. It had to have been the equipment advantage in those wicked trails. 29, rigid and single is how I roll!

The only blemish on the race for me was the little washout I had in the open rocky area after the steep climb into some single track on top of a ridge. Then up another steep climb, and out into the open.I think it was called Rocky Horror. Ya know the rocky flowy area that reminded me of the moon scape or something. I was braking and turning going over a ridge into a little dip. The front end started sliding on the loose rocks and I landed on my gloveless hands and my elbow. Only about 2 mins later my grip was getting slippery and my left arm was covered in blood. It turns out only to be a small 1/4" gash on my elbow. I rinsed it off with my water and and finished the last 2 laps with no problems. But I just pulled a stone out of my palm now, and It's hard to lean on my left elbow. So much for that "Left hand Arm Wrestling Tourney" I had planned for Canal Days tomorrow.

All in all an awesome venue for a mtb race. Great team of race organizers and some good company to enjoy in the suffering with!

Oh ya! That Premier Fitness feed station was Awesome! Sweet scenery and peeled Bananas in a cup are great. Just tip it back and take a bite.

Looking forward to the winter edition of this race and next years race is gonna be even better!

Happy Mojo Rider
    I was in the race today and it was good from what I got to ride of it, I was the guy on the Mojo with the broken chain and I only ended riding 5 kms of the track. I forgot my multi tool with a chain breaker and a sram goldlink. Thank god I walked about 2-3 Km so I had enough time to cool off. Track was in good condition overall, I would do it again but I think I would go more in front of the pack because a few people were not riding their bikes up the hills but walking them up. I laughed to myself when I heard a few locals losing their patience and yelling ahead that the trails were rideable and that they were on them the day before so no need to walk your bike. Great loop and the day turned out to be a good day to ride and we missed the rain! Thanks to the organizers they did a good job, worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

All my faucets is Moen.
    I’ve been waiting for and have been excited about this race for a few months now but when race day came along that excitement didn’t transfer into any added punch or power. In fact for the entire race it seemed like I had nothing in the tank at all. I’m not sure if it was because the course doesn’t allow the rider to settle in, always keeping you on your toes. Maybe because of the weather I rode too cautious. Thinking back I definitely lacked mental preparation before the race and I was riding with a full stomach, which I don’t like to do. I guess I can come up with all the excuses I want and even thought I had a preverbal ‘one of those days’ everyone who beat me in the race is a stronger rider then me.

I got to the course early and pre-rode about half of the technical loop in the rain. It was super slick in the far end and with the off-camber track there was definitely going to be a few running stretches. Being that it was a local race I got to chat with a lot of familiar faces and the start line seemed more like a group ride then a race.

Right from the opening stretch I could tell that the day wasn’t going to be so good for me. I couldn’t keep up with any group from the start and a few bad lines around the open section left my bike muddy and me back in about 15th. Into the first trail section I was at the back of a group of three with small gaps in front and behind. We got by a rider when he took a wrong turn and I passed the two in my pack with my ‘run through the off-camber grease track’ strategy I got in the pre-ride. Alistar was one of those two and he quickly passed me back on the open section and even asked what was wrong as I wasn’t in a talking mood. He flew past and I didn’t see him until the finish line.

I kept an even pace going throughout the first lap and I thought I’d start to reel a few people in. That proved to be the case early as I passed two in sleepy hollow and a third halfway through the second lap. This left me just out of the top 10 and gave me a bit more confidence for the back side of the race.

At this point I tried to pick up my pace as I was entering my favorite sections of the course; Cliffhanger and Porky’s Revenge. Unfortunately I had no energy to give an honest effort and I couldn’t shake the SCCC rider on my wheel. We went back and forth but eventually he dropped me. A rider I had previously passed had caught me again and served only as a person to draft off of as we wrapped up the second lap. Young Sparrow dropped me shortly after we headed into Mad Max for the final time.

Running through the third lap the gaps between riders around me seemed huge and I tried to ride just to hold my position. Unfortunately for me Tripkovic caught me early in the lap and Granitto got me before Rocky Horror. The best I could do at this point was to hope no one was close enough to catch me before the finish. That proved to be the case as I didn’t see anyone when looking back time and time again. I rode the final 6k without another rider in sight.

Into the final few hundred meters and across the footbridge..yeah! Crossing the line was more relief then satisfaction as I was glad to have that one over. I figure it one of the hardest 30k races you could do. Always requiring attention and self realization of the pace you are traveling. As I said before there is nowhere to settle in ride, no double track or large pack coming up to pace you through.

Even thought my race performance didn’t go so well the inaugural Race the Hood was a success and I enjoyed my day tremendously. It’s always great to hang with the club after a race, share stories and a few pops.

Cheers guys and thanks for the memories.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    wow...
    I can not believe the response that we have been getting back on the CDMBR aka RACE THE HOOD.

So many have said that the trails and the race course that we put together were Ontario Cup level or beyond.

Too bad some missed what many are now saying was one of the best races of the year.

Thanks to all that took part in the race either by being there at the starting line, volunteering there time or supporting it through generous sponsorship.

Anyone up for a winter race... FREEZE THE HOOD???

Hunter S. Thompson

bi-winning

All my faucets is Moen.